the way it is

!

RICK FITZPATRICK said:
HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA! Doggonit guys. I guess this is really "the way it is." Ha! ah...pardon me while I puke. The way it really is, is a fucking lie. Pro studios lie. because the recordings lie. The "artists" lie. The whole music "biz" is a fucking lie. They know it. We know it. The public is starting to know it too. Prorec lives in a fucking dream world. While the REAL world goes about is daily business, the pro recording industry is at their dreary little alchemy labs, doing their dreary little job of transforming morons into more "artists" that are a prefabbed, autotuned, multitracked, computer edited, mixed, mastered and duplicated lie. I've got more respect for my plumber. At least he's for real. And so are most home recordings. Because unlike "pros" here, most people who frequent here, have to get up in the morning, and go to work in the "real world", and don't have the time or the stomach for making recordings of a lie. Thats why I would listen to a homerecording rather than a pro CD anyday. Even if it sucked. At least its a record of the truth. Thats more than I can say about the pro world of recording. THATS the way it REALLY is. So give me a fucking break. I don't give a SHIT about your SSL's, or your 2" tape machines, or your fucking protools.
A good cabinet maker doesn't need a CNC to build a table. A good home recordist doesn't need all your "pro gear" to record either. He just likes to record the truth. Which is more than I can say about the pro engineer. And if more pro studios recorded the TRUTH, then there would be far fewer socalled "artists" in the world. Only real ones. Besides, in reality, a recording is only a second rate copy of the real thing. And most recordings today are difinitely not of the REAL THING. Just listen to the radio.
fitz:rolleyes: :rolleyes:

I second everything said in this quote. RICK FITZPATRICK hit on the real issue!

sweetnubs said:
i know you all secrety love the nubmeister because he is one funny son of a bitch. i crack most of my clients up.

It would be wonderful if you displayed some of that self-proclaimed sense of humor around here at least once before you leave. From what I can see, the only one you are cracking up is yourself. To paraphrase John Connelly, "I've met some pretty funny people, and you, sir, are not one of them." At least not so far...

Pipeline nailed it. There's nothing particularly offensive in a lot of what you say, it's only how you say it. Somewhere along the line, you appointed yourself the god of recording information who has deigned to descend from his rarified abode to the foul depths of homerec to preach the true gospel, which, of course, no one else is privy to. And you seem mystified why we don't all just bow down and worship you? Your holier-than-everyone proclaimations and pontifications are all designed with one aim in mind: to set your self up as a superior being. Which is an internal contradiction, because truly superior beings have no need to lord their superiority over 'lesser" beings.

Sweetbuns, if you're God, than I'm an atheist.

..getting sucked into the vortex of this particular black hole (har har)....

I'm down with Fitz.

Folks, don't take sweetbuns so seriously. He's just a bitchy old queen. Does anyone really think a box of software is going to replace a studio filled with iron? C'mon. But who would be so foolish to think you can only make music in such a place? The world has moved on, for better or for worse. The one issue Sweetnubs (ok, what ARE nubs?) raises that is important is that experience and knowledge doesn't come in a box and it's important not to fall prey to marketing hype. Anything worthwhile takes work and practice.

There are three variables involved in making a good recording: money, time, and quality control but you can only have two of them at any given time. Most pro studios don't have time to waste so, if they are working with a serious client, that just leaves money. Home recordists are on the other end of the spectrum. Sometimes we can throw money at a problem, but more often than not the quality of our recordings is the result of the time we invest. If you take a shortcut the quality suffers. If you had a roster of clients booked up in advance, then time would start to become an issue, but then you could afford better gear.

Some of you will notice that time plus money equals insufficient quality. Maybe I'm really an anarchist at heart but this why I agree with Fitz (I'd make one concession for The Beatles, however and we won't see their kind again for a few generations). The results are what is called "over-production."

Good records are made in project studios all the time. Just read Tape-Op.

sweetnubs said:
also for your home-work "dr. sample" look up the words: "pink noise, equilateral triangle, measurement mic, spectrum analyzer, room mode..."

Originally posted by Chessrock "My guess is that more than half of us here are very familiar with room modes..."

Nothin' better than some good "room mode" talk. Is that anything like "à la mode"? I do find that filling a room with ice cream definitely tames unruly frequencies, but you do have to keep the thermostat down. Of course, some piano players I've heard would probably sound better with mittens on... :rolleyes:

Memo to Sweetnuts: 1) This is Home Recording.com. Many of us have day jobs and record as a hobby because we enjoy it;

2) one of the biggest reasons I enjoy recording at home on my Digi001 with my plug ins and my Studio Projects mic is so that I don't have to go to a "real studio" and listen to bitter, old, washed up, four pack a day smoking, "analog is better, digital sucks," "you home recordists are cutting into my money", "you've got to have fourteen racks of 'vintage' gear before you can call yourself a professional" douche bags like you.

3) The home recording revolution is here to stay. Either find a way to distinguish yourself as an engineer so that people still find your services valuable, or get into a different line of work. You're like a travel agent who bitches that the internet is putting you out of business.

4) Just because something is "vintage" or says Neumann on it doesn't mean it's always better. The "everything made in China" sucks mentality has gone down in flames in every industry where this has been an issue. How long did we hear people talk about "Jap crap" when it came to cars? That was fashionable for awhile but you sound like a fool now if you argue that the Japanese can't make cars. In five years the same will be true of Chinese made mics.

5) Take a look at the list of gear Harvey Gerst uses. You'll find a bunch of the brands that you say suck among his gear. After reading your highly enlightened posts, one thing is certain. You aren't qualified to make coffee in Harvey's studio.

RIP Sweetnuts, I hear 7 Eleven is hiring.

"ever since sweetnubs left the comfy confines of his salaried studio gig and opened his own studio he finds it harder to find clients."

Ever since Sweetnuts went into the local postoffice with an uzi he doesn't have any friends anymore. I'm almost embarrassed at my last post that I actually get fired up about this guy. You're right Sweetnuts, you are funny, but we're laughing at you not with you.

His referring to himself in the third-person is also pretty damn funny. "Jimmy doesn't like home recording." "Jimmy has to have an 1176 and an LA-2A to make big sound."

This is damn entertaining. I'm LOL.

SWEATYBUTTZ (ha ha , another one of those funny nicks) wont even post some of his work for us to listen to........he's obviously some jackass trying to sound big.

oh and i'm not very good, so i only record my friends and ask them to give me what they think the recording is worth...

i just recorded a band (still in the process) that had 2 guys record them in the past........they have already told me that i'm better than both of them and they got paid a lot more than i am.

i do know that one of the guys is better than me now.....he is kind of a recording mentor of mine, but the other guy got paid 7 hundred dollars and his sounds like complete crap.

wanna know how they're paying me? they bought all of my meals while recording and are giving me 50 cdr's.....and possibly some cash because i didn't have enough mics/ mic stands to record them and i was tired of borrowing my friends gear all the time so i spent a thousand bucks on 3 mics and a few mic stands.

the moral/reason for my story

basically, i don't think i'm cutting into anyones business......why? because i make sure that i tell everyone that i record that i'm learning and they know that i don't have the best gear. if i'm cutting into people like pipeline's business, then i apologize, but i think even pipeline will agree that i'm not.

i've never had anyone but me be unsatisfied with recording.....and i think that for how long i've been recording and the # of projects that i've done i'm pretty good......(man i jsut made myself sound conceded, oh well)

this is the end of my post

"if i'm cutting into people like pipeline's business, then i apologize, but i think even pipeline will agree that i'm not"

actually, you are on the surface, but we end up helping each other in the long run. this is the two way street Im talking about. People like you actually end up bringing me more business, as you are building bands that may or may not get to the next level when theyre ready to come here. And if or when your skills are up, youll probably come to my studio to do some tracking to use all my mics and pre's and then finish at home, and all variations in between. Guys like you MAKE me money, and help musicians that wouldnt be able to record otherwise.
And the REAL help which is hopefully breaking bands of bad habbits before they come in here and have to learn very costly lessons

everyone wins

This reminds me of this "pro guy" that recorded my bands first demo in his big ass studio with an gigantic console and racks upon racks of rackmount gear. I was a poor guy that knew absolutley nothing about recording, and his sample work sounded great. He stopped and lectured us every 5 minutes about anything musical to get more money out of us. He sold us on using his $3,000 Sonor Drumset and $2,000 rackmount guitar preamp (which he ran direct) instead of using our own gear, all the while telling us about how theres so many recording engineers that don't know what they're doing, blah blah, and when all was said and done our demo SUCKED.

That is EXACTLY what made me get into home recording. My band did a demo on a Boss BR-8 and 90% of average listeners liked our home recording over the "pro" recording. And believe me, our home recording sucked.

Two funny things I remember:

This dude said: Oh you won't want to make copies of the master CDR on your computer because the Analog to Digital converters in computer CD burners are cheap, and my converters cost thousands of dollars" The funny part was that he later admitted "I don't know anything about computers" and I didnt know that when duplicating a CD on a computer that the signal ever gets converted from digital in the first place.

It is also funny looking back at how he was telling us how much he spent on studio foam to SOUND PROOF his studio so we wouldnt get any interuption from outside sounds.

This may be the exact kind of guy sweetnubs is complaining about but with tons of money, or it might actually be a real pro that just took advantage of 4 innocent musicians. Either way, I will NEVER spend money in a pro studio for a demo again, unless:

A: A record label is paying for the studio time

B: I'm getting my own project mastered

C: I'm going to release a serious project that I don't feel comfortable handling on my own.

interesting story....too easy to take advantage of people unfortunately.

sweetnubs, when you get back...mind sharing about your early days as a musician/debt etc?

As a young musician who thinks he is fairly well educated...I'd like to know. Also suprising to me that that debt still exists....the biz is rough obviously.

Fill us in if you wouldn't mind. Always helps to hear other peoples experiences.

-wes

hiya, chowderheads. sweetnubs is back from hoochie-mama central: LA. before nubnubs puts on the boxing gloves let me just mention how much i hate LA. my session actually went well, but don't people realize cellphones fuck with audio equipment? every jackass in that city has got a cellphone and they never turn them off which probably accounts for most of the vacant-eyed walking brain-dead zombies in LA . i am shure the air pollution also contributes to it too. a friend was telling me they are now spraying some kind of special aerosol into the air which "eats" the pollution. great, even more chemicals to breathe. why in the hell can't automobile exhaust restrictions be made even tighter and stricter commercial pollution regulations be implemented? oh yeah, i forgot bush and co. just relaxed environmental and pollution laws. nobody gives a shit anyways because most of it is on the east side where the working class dishwashers (slaves) live. the walled off communities don't give a rats ass. just business as usual in the land of the free. and what the hell is with all the bright yellow automobiles in that city? why not drive a taxi for allah's sake? oh yeah, it's LA. it makes it easier to see your expensive car.

i thouroughly enjoy the "is it sweetnubs?" thread. it makes my nubby tingle. of course it is not me as this guy is either a complete idiot or a total genius.

sweetnubs has now compiled further evidence that track-rat is really a hate mongering cross-eyed redneck as he refers to the guy at the prorec site as a retard. not only does track-rat mock gays and lesbians he picks on completely defensless "special folk." and bush isn't a retard? him and his entire staff rode the little yellow bus to the white house.

exhibit one:
"i may be recording a heavy/rock band in a few weeks and i just need to know if you guys have any tips, advice or bewares to pass on to me. you see this will be my first session. i would really love any tips on mic place ment for guitars, vocals, bass, drums, ect,ect that you could give me."

someone doing a session who needs help on placing mics for all instruments, even the drums. need i say more?

exhibit two:
"I know it's not fair to form an opinion with only one experience but I had a band come in and the drummer wanted to use his Audix mic kit and I didn't like them at all. At the time I took them down and ended up with 57s on the snare and toms. I still like 57s but even they aren't my first choice for toms any more. I prefere condensors, AKG C-1000s in particular." -track rat.

track rat likes akg-c1000's on toms. oh my, and he's giving advice. your favorite tom mic? jesus, you must be gay because those things are very phallic. not to mention they sound like shit. if your ownly choices are 57's (which can be ok if used right) and c1000's for tom mics, your studio must suck.

should i even say anything about the "how do i get my digital to sound like analog thread?" isn't that an oxymoron?

"Can anyone recommend a sequencer to control my Alesis D4. I hate the cheese drums that I get with the Sr16. I am not good enough to play the drums on the keyboard or pads." -scottboyher

hey boyher, nubby-nub-nubs doesn't think you are recording the TRUTH at you home "studio" with an sr16, sequencers, d4's etc. what's the difference between me triggering a drum sample in my studio because the drummer sucks and you, runny doo doo head, using a drum machine and a sequencer? the TRUTH hurts and that's the TRUTH. (see his former post on this thread if this seems confusing)

well sweetnubs would like to search for more self-contradictions and post them but searches on this site take way to freakin' long and i have to get up early tomorrow to go pick up the turkey i orderded. yep, beloved sweetnubs has to cook the turkey again this year.

just to show you all what a swell guy i am, i will instruct you all on the proper method to cook a turkey. i use organic turkey that i special order. first use fresh herbs, whatever green, resinous herbs you like. i use a combination of thyme, rosemary and sage- all fresh and chopped by hand. i rub the turkey with a decent olive oil, don't forget to get in all the nooks and crannys. i use puget olive oil. it is a decent fruity (like track rat) extra virgin (like the man-virgin track rat) olive oil that is fairly inexpensive. there is no need to use really expensive olive oil because high temperatures will break it down and it will lose its more refined qualities. i then mince fresh garlic and rub the garlic and herbs liberally over the entire bird, also inside the cavity. then i liberally sprinkle the turkey with salt and FRESH ground black pepper. next place it on a rack in a deep roasting pan. the rack should be elevated above the bottom. undneath the rack is where the mirepoix will go. for you uncultured american sots raised on mc donalds, mirepoix is a mixture of carrots, onions and celery, equal amounts of each. also place the neck, gizzards, etc. below the rack. the combined liquid from the sweating of the mirepoix and the herb and garlic infused drippings from the bird will combine to make the base for the gravy. you can stuff the turkey with the stuffing of your choice or fill the cavity with mirepoix. the ends of the drumsticks, the wings and breast should be covered with foil (to prevent burning). i do not truss the bird. i cover the breast with fatback which keeps it moist. put it in the oven at 350 uncovered. the time is variable. for fifteen pounds it usually takes about 4-41/2 hours. this will vary with your oven. i start checking the turkey after about 3 1/2 hours every half hour. i can tell when it is done by feeling the thickest part of the leg, if you get resitance and the leg moves freely it is finished. it should be nicely browned and carmelized. if you stuffed the bird remove the stuffing about 45 minutes before it is finished. put the stuffing in a baking pan and bake it uncovered for about a half hour. it should get a nice brown crunchy crust on top. this way you get all the turkey/herb flavor in the stuffing and the crunch. when the turkey is done strain out the juice from the bottom of the roasting pan. dump all the vegetables out of the roasting pan then set the roasting pan on top of the burners and turn them on low. add a little water and scrape the pan to get all the yummy carmelized drippings that have stuck to the bottom. (this is called deglazing) you should get a brown watery "stock" when you are finished. add this to the drippings you collected earlier. now make a brown roux. roux is a combination of flour and butter. add equal amounts to a sauce pan and put on a low heat and cook until it turns a deep caramel colored brown. this will help give the gravy a proper color and add depth of flavor. now transfer the drippings to a sauce pan an add heavy cream. put over a medium flame. whisk in the roux until the gravy reaches the proper thickness. happy holidays, turkeys.

ps: "i did natlie cole's unforgettable on ns10's."-al schmitt
(does turkeynubs need to say anything more?)

Good god, audio " pros" have bigger eqo's than the musicians they record. And I thought that was fucking impossible!! Hahahahahahah! What a bunch of moronic goofballs. Get a fucking GRRRRRRRRRRRIP! Or a real job. Hey alice, get a load of this profession! Especially the cockroachs. No wonder recorded music sucks so bad nowdays! They haven't got a clue! Except they think the public really gives a shit what their "profession" does. After reading a lot of the prorec forum bullshit, I am convinced that there is a whole lot of deranged people out there who are living in LALA land. THEY call it pro audio. I call it egoville. Just take a trip to your local "pro studio". What a fucking joke. GIVE ME A BREAk .
Example #1
pro audio person beleives nickname like "sweetnubs" is , what do they call it..word?
Real world response.... grow up.
Example #2
"i did natlie cole's unforgettable on ns10's."-al schmitt
Real world response.....who the fuck cares, theres a war about to start, what planet are you on.
Example #3
just to show you all what a swell guy i am, i will instruct you all on the proper method to cook a turkey.
Me too, pour gasoline, light match.
fitz:rolleyes:

"Then I will edit these, and assign the tracks to instruments via midi, to a Triton rackmount module. Then I'll record these to tape via the audio outputs on the Triton being midi driven by smpte or midi from the smpte tape track, via the midiizer, driving the sequencer, driving the triton"-rick fitzpatrick

hey rick, originator of the "i only record the TRUTH" thread. how truthful is midi triggered by smpte? (which by the way should should stripe the outside track )by using your own logic everything should be first take to stereo. overdubs and mixing are not the TRUTH. sweetnubs tells the TRUTH. he doesn't berate someone for doing something that the nubmeister himself does unlike yourself. i will now officially refer to you as "mr. self-contradiction" instead of rick fitzpatric. happy holidays.

I'd like to defend the notion "making it sound like analog."

What people have discovered is that analog adds harmonic distortion to a signal that is pleasing to the ear. There are devices, like the Hedd, that introduce this phenomena into digital recording. PSP and MacDSP have plugs that do something similar.

When people talka bout making it sound like analog I think this is what they mean. Of course, there many other variables that make the analog sound, some of which are not desirable. In other words, I think "analog sound" is not simile so much as shorthand, and I see no reason why this quality cannot be heard, eventually, as "good digital." Now if you really want analog, warts and all, record analog--but people recording digitally really don't want that.

My first time cooking a Thanksgiving bird I placed it in the oven upside down. Everyone was astonished how moist it was, so that's how I do it since.

This lesson applies to other endeavors besides the culinary arts....

Hahaha, what part of "home recording" don't you understand yet. I don't record that way for ANYONE to listen to except me and my best freind. We don't mind listening to OUR truth, no matter how good or bad it is. And unlike you, I don't sell my "truths" to an unknowing public as your clients do. Like most HOME RECORDING people, I record for fun, not profit. Thats the difference. Besides, I don't have to qualify what I do at home to ANYONE, let alone, cockroachs like you. Your the one putting a product on the market that has to qualify it. That has to stand on its own merits. BTW, what the fuck are you even wasting your time here for? To berate people that have a hobby using things they can afford to do something that makes them happy? Get a life. Why don't you post your crap on prorec and see if anyone gives a shit? Cause they sure don't here. Oh, thats right, you don't understand yet. What a moron. Unlike professionals, I can say that. Hey Alice. he even took time to look up my old posts to prove his point. Bigger cockroach than I thought. Now, where did I put that gasoline?

sweetnubs said:
exhibit one:
"i may be recording a heavy/rock band in a few weeks and i just need to know if you guys have any tips, advice or bewares to pass on to me. you see this will be my first session. i would really love any tips on mic place ment for guitars, vocals, bass, drums, ect,ect that you could give me."

someone doing a session who needs help on placing mics for all instruments, even the drums. need i say more?

:rolleyes:

The person you're poking fun at here is 14 years old (and displays more maturity). I hope this increases your feelings of self-importance.

Back