The pro piracy thread

Stealing a bannannnna! No!!!!!!!

I believe you were the one that recommended Massive, when I asked about my 17 year old wanting to be Skrillex, while he is quite the drummer, and has a quite substantial studio in his basement. He showed no interest in playing drums anymore, so I bought him a midi keyboard, FL Studio, a new PC, and Massive. Oh and headphones, cuz man, that guy don't know when to shut off his sub! lol!

I would love it if you would share some deadly patches!

Ah thats right...I is a dummy

Sure man, gimme an afternoon and Ill get a wee selection together...ask him if he wants wobbles wub wub wub or just nasty grime

me and the kids lol

I have pirated Logic, Amplitube 3, Amplitube Fender, Ampeg SVX, CLA classic compressors, and T-Racks 3. Last weekend I saw these products at guitar center and I was shocked when I realized I have technically stolen products worth a lot of money. Piracy is definitely wrong but at the same time I would not have purchased any of these products as they are out of a high school student's budget. They are simply a tool I use to improve my bands tone in the studio. If we were making large amounts of profit off said songs piracy would be wrong, but these songs are not making millions or even hundreds! :D

The enforcement of copyright is the responsibility of the copyright holder.[7] Article 50 of the Agreement on Trade-Related Aspects of Intellectual Property Rights (TRIPs) requires that signatory countries enable courts to remedy copyright infringement with injunctions and the destruction of infringing products, and award damages.

I stole..*cough*.."infringed" this from wiki. So I'm wondering that if ten thousand people pirated pro tools would those ten thousand people have bought pro tools if they coudn't pirate it or would they just be like me and cough up some change and use reaper? How do you measure awarded damages to someone who doesn't distribute it anyways? I mean how many people build old marshall jtm45 clones and whatnot sorta the same thing huh?

I never got the whole "but I wasn't going to buy it anyways" mentality. Nor have I ever understood the "well... I'm not making money with it so it's cool."

There is so much good free shit that this argument just doesn't work for me.

If I come up with some software or music, then I should have the right to sell it to you, give it away, or play Frisbee with it. I resent that anyone thinks they should be able to force me into do any of the above without asking.

But hey if you think that is fine, then get your fucking ass to the studio and bang out 12 songs at $55 an hour and give me that fucking music for free you asshole. Fuck your home studio, I want premium shit for free fucker.

You just gotta love the rationale and justifications some folks are using to excuse/allow themselves to perform pure *theft*....but I bet if someone stole their car or bike out of their driveway ('cuz, hey, the thief needed it and couldn't afford to buy it)...those same people would be screaming and dialing 911!!!

:laughings:

But this is all on par with the whole "Napster" mentality..."It's just files, it's not like I'm stealing anything real."...or some similarly convoluted viewpoint.

I'm sure we've all "lifted" something in our misguided youth...not even considering we were stealing...and if we didn't get caught, we forgot about it or realized that we got lucky that time and learned our lesson...but folks shouldn't be too quick to openly admit on an Internet forum that they stole "XYZ"....'cuz you never know...and yeah, what you are doing is illegal and if caught, you could be prosecuted.
Certainly don't beat your chest like you've gotten away with it...just STFU about it, and go use what you already have, and next time buy what you need from a legit source, 'cuz the people who write the programs you are stealing all need to make a living too...they have jobs, families...etc. It's not just some nameless "company" with millions $$$. Most often, these software companies are smaller businesses with a handful or two of guys trying to make a living by writing code for great products that you are stealing....think about it.

True story...
I do IT work at my day gig, and some of it involves supporting a large theater that puts on all kinds of shows. There was a new lighting guy that got hired, and he and some of the other people who worked backstage happened to be musicians.
So one day I'm doing some IT stuff for them and he starts talking about audio apps, and then goes on to open a bag and show me all the CDs of the ones he got online. He had a whole bunch of top-level DAW apps and whatnot...and when he saw my eyes light up, he starts telling me how he got them for like $25 each.

:facepalm:

I told him those were all cracked copies, as those apps cost hundreds $$$ each.
He tries to explain to me he got them from a "legit" website.
Again I told him it was bogus, and I knew all those apps and what they really cost.

Anyway...I tell him not to attempt to install them on any work computer, because they are cracked, and not to even ever bring them in to work again.
A few days later the idiot installed one on his work computer anyway to show it to the other guys. :facepalm: :facepalm:

It was only a matter of a couple of days before the network guys ran their usual security scans, and next thing I'm getting a phone call telling me one of our networked computers had cracked software, :mad: and the lighting guy is standing talking to security. :D
He got off with a warning (I think the took all the cracked stuff he had on him at work), I had to wipe his system clean, but he had no computer for a week as punishment.
He ended up leaving that job not too long after that....

Moral of the story is...
Cracked software CAN be picked up on scans. Now, it may not be an issue for home use, as your ISP is most likely not going to be running those types of scans...but again, it's illegal, and if you get caught, you can get prosecuted.

OK....end of my CYA rant. :)
As the saying goes..."a word to the wise is sufficient".

Not wanting to turn this into a poo flinging thread but no...its not the same as someone coming round stealing your car, or bike...

There is no physical item taken from anyone, its a license that has been stolen..there is not denying its theft but it has neither the social or economical impact that stealing an individuals car would..

I also suspect there are some unscrupulous companies, that care less about copyright protection than others

Say around 95% of the kids using pirated Fruity Loops dont do anything more with it than install it, make a handful of beats then never touch it again.....what losses to Image Line actually have to endure? I doubt the kids would even bother with it if they couldnt get it for free...Its the 5% Image Line are interested in I bet...the target is to get the people who are serious about using it and learning music production...especially the 0.05% that actually make money from using it

chance are they'll want legit copies eventually, and will stick with the tool they learned, chances are many of them already bought the product

Its morally wrong to use piracy, no doubt...but sometimes these are used as free trials...granted they maybe be long free trials, but thats all they are

Its the small companies that fold after their one plug fills the torrent pages of the internet that I feel sorry for, they dont have the sales to adsorb the loss nor the financial/technical abilities to make their software difficult to pirate

So maybe if I come round to your house and make a clone of your car and drive off...and Hyundai lose that car sale, even though I prolly cant afford a car but will buy one when I make some money as a cab driver, then its maybe similar ;)

It's not so much about the *stealing* of intellectual property. I agree, it's not the same as stealing a touchy-feely thing like a car (though it's still theft).
It's about *not paying* the owners their due...which is what they make a living off of.
If they don't make a living off it, they stop writting code, then there's no more good products coming from them.

There are MANY code writers who put out tons of great freeware...I downloaded a bunch last week, but then I also paid for my Samplitude upgrades last year and again this year. Even for the few hundered I spent, I am still blown away for what they are giving you. Besides the main app, dozens of super plugs (where only a couple plugs would cost as much) but I got the two upgardes plus everything else.
Really great stuff if anyone is looking for a fantastic DAW...check out Samplitude and all you get with it.

Anyway...
What I really get a kick out of are the guys who steal software...and then talk it up on the forms at how great it is to use. :rolleyes:
If you really like it...then pay for it.

Two great points! I will just stick with buying my software, and hopefully instilling morality values to my son(s). One is doing well so far. The other, I bought a tattoo learning kit for his future in prison.

It's not so much about the *stealing* of intellectual property. I agree, it's not the same as stealing a touchy-feely thing like a car (though it's still theft).
It's about *not paying* the owners their due...which is what they make a living off of.
If they don't make a living off it, they stop writting code, then there's no more good products coming from them.

There are MANY code writers who put out tons of great freeware...I downloaded a bunch last week, but then I also paid for my Samplitude upgrades last year and again this year. Even for the few hundered I spent, I am still blown away for what they are giving you. Besides the main app, dozens of super plugs (where only a couple plugs would cost as much) but I got the two upgardes plus everything else.
Really great stuff if anyone is looking for a fantastic DAW...check out Samplitude and all you get with it.

Anyway...
What I really get a kick out of are the guys who steal software...and then talk it up on the forms at how great it is to use. :rolleyes:
If you really like it...then pay for it.

I have watched two tutorial videos from respected EDM producers where they are using cracked software....the tutorials came free with a well known magazine...I have little doubt what message dumbness like this sends out

I like pirates ...... hell, they have several pirate festivals every year in Key West.
Sure, there's a little pillaging and such but they don't mean anything by it.

I like pirates ...... hell, they have several pirate festivals every year in Key West.
Sure, there's a little pillaging and such but they don't mean anything by it.

Those are the cool kind tho. They only steal the hearts of those who like tho movie 'Goonies'.

Back