The New Tone Thread

Greg, just listened to that tone again on better headphones and you're right - it doesn't need more bottom. Definitely needs more gain though.

somehow the guy that takes pics for Tommy Talton makes me look surprisingly decent!

Attachments

• 13335539_10153827046724023_2128612082826549666_n.jpg
    13335539_10153827046724023_2128612082826549666_n.jpg
    101.4 KB · Views: 4
It's just massively time consuming isn't it, mate? I generally get up really early so tend to do drum programming with a coffee starting at about 630Am on the weekend. Sometimes I'll look at the clock see that it's like 1030 or something and wonder how I've lost so much time!

Yes Jdude, it truly sucks man. It gets so boring doing all the shit I do to the midi on every song, it's unbelievable. When I got the new pc, I hit a snag with the little scripts I use in Reaper. I updated to 5.20, & they wouldn't work, so I flipped out (Reaper would hang, then crash...). I rolled back to 5.18, & they worked again. So I was doing some more midi shit & one of 'em stopped working in that version yesterday. Dunno why, but I'd glued the whole midi track together, & one of the scripts would not work until I used the split tool on that particular midi file. This shit is already frustrating, but to have little things like that happen is crazy for me...Thankfully it's all working now...

There's should be a couple things to make 'em better before too long though, Jamstix is almost in beta for version 4, & should kick some ass...I've got v3 & it's quirky, but it does some cool things. Version 4 should have major improvements for a quicker workflow, & it's a lot like Reaper, the users ask for little things, then the developer puts 'em in. It's constantly evolving...

I can't say much about the other thing as it's still being developed, but it should kick some ass whenever it's ready...I'll hook you up whenever that happens....It might take a few tweaks to get right, but should make fake drums sound more real IMO...:)

View attachment We The Sheeple.mp3
I haven't contributed much lately so I figured that I'd toss this out there for you guys to scrutinize. It's a work in progress called "We The Sheeple". I still need to track the vocals but since this is a tone thread that doesn't matter much. Since there are 6 guitar tracks done with 3 different guitars I'm not going to break down the settings that I used. I thought that I would try something different so I played the lead guitar without a pick.

View attachment 97141
I haven't contributed much lately so I figured that I'd toss this out there for you guys to scrutinize. It's a work in progress called "We The Sheeple". I still need to track the vocals but since this is a tone thread that doesn't matter much. Since there are 6 guitar tracks done with 3 different guitars I'm not going to break down the settings that I used. I thought that I would try something different so I played the lead guitar without a pick.
Pretty interesting. I'm not really a fan of this kind of guitar rock stuff, but you did a real nice job with it. I think the gain is appropriate, but maybe lacking a little in the bottom end. It's kind of "scratchy". Just barely though. Something seems swirly about it. Do you have a chorus going all the time or something?

---------- Update ----------

somehow the guy that takes pics for Tommy Talton makes me look surprisingly decent!

Haha, nice pic Boob. How did I miss this all day?

Pretty interesting. I'm not really a fan of this kind of guitar rock stuff, but you did a real nice job with it. I think the gain is appropriate, but maybe lacking a little in the bottom end. It's kind of "scratchy". Just barely though. Something seems swirly about it. Do you have a chorus going all the time or something?

I used a light flanger on 1 of the 4 rhythm guitar tracks. I also rolled off a good amount of low end on the guitars because they were just too thick and tended to make the mix murky. Was it any instrument in particular that you felt was "scratchy" or just the mix in general?

oconor -
The phaser sounds good. I like the slightly space rocky rhythms but you may have cut off the bottom a little to early. I don't like the solo tone or style though.

Lt Bob, cool snap. A bari would be a nice addition. My supervisor in 1985 had an alto, tenor & bari. He stopped playing well before I knew him though.

oconor....
I like the riff. I think the guitar sounds are great. On the lead guitar tone I think it would benifit from a little reverb.
Good job on this.

I generally get up really early so tend to do drum programming with a coffee starting at about 630Am on the weekend. Sometimes I'll look at the clock see that it's like 1030 or something and wonder how I've lost so much time!

Been there. I spend more time on the drum programming than everything else combined.. hours and hours and hours for a 5 minute tune.:(

I used a light flanger on 1 of the 4 rhythm guitar tracks. I also rolled off a good amount of low end on the guitars because they were just too thick and tended to make the mix murky. Was it any instrument in particular that you felt was "scratchy" or just the mix in general?

It's just the general tone of the guitars seems a little scratchy and grainy and I think maybe it's because you rolled off too much low end. The mix was nowhere near murky to me, so I think there's room to put some meat back into the guitars..

Ok tonetards, I went back 5 or so pages & listened my way to the last page...If I left anyone out, sorry, lemme know where it's at & I'll have a listen...

Ray: I watched the vid, cool stuff & cool sounds man, nice!!!!

Liv_rong: I like the clean with delay best, the dirty sounds kinda mushy to me, but that's probably because it's an iPhone recording...

JDOD: "Blind-New Tone Test" sounds pretty good dude, but you're gonna have to quit taking Greg's advice on the drum mixing dude, you're improving way too much over there...Sounds good!!!

Ocnor: "We The Sheeple" is cool, reminds me of 80's Rush in spots, I can almost hear Geddy Lee wailing on this dude...Parts of the lead is kick-ass, the tapping is good dude, I think you might need to work on smoothing out the picked parts that lead up to those tapped parts (some parts just don't "flow" if that makes any sense...), & you'd have a winner...Very 80's dude, cool!!!

Cheers miner! That's really nice to hear. I wanna finish retracking that song this weekend in between struggling with vocals.

Cheers miner! That's really nice to hear. I wanna finish retracking that song this weekend in between struggling with vocals.

I listened to it too, but got distracted afterwards and haven't commented. I like it too JDOD

I've been practicing drums. I played the damn drums until 1 this morning. I'm getting better too. I think it will be easier to learn to play drums than to learn to program drums.

Back