The New Tone Thread

I've been practicing drums. I played the damn drums until 1 this morning. I'm getting better too. I think it will be easier to learn to play drums than to learn to program drums.

It will. I'm a shit drummer and I've never recorded myself with more than a boombox but even I know that!

Had a mega cheesey afternoon today - this is totally unlike anything that I normally record. Loads of different tones in here - haven't quite worked out what I'm gonna go with it yet.

View attachment AMG.mp3

Jdude, I don't hear a thing wrong with this clip man. All the tones are pretty good to me. If you want me to be picky, the semi-distorted guitar on the right around 1:10 may be a little scratchy sounding (only the right guitar from about 1:10 up 'til the wah comes in), but it gives contrast to the other guitars, which IMO is a good thing...

I'm impressed with your bass tone on this too man, sounds big-n-meaty dude...

I'd say you've found your "spot" with your tones man, the last few clips you've posted have been progressively better & better...Good job!!!:thumbs up:

Hmmm. Steve Vai is playing in the town where I work during the week. I'd be interested to see him play, but I don't want to sit through two hours of his music...

JDOD,
you should be down under for the surf - 7 - 12m swell on top of a king tide (2m more) - not many folk getting wet despite the water temp being quite warm.

Had a mega cheesey afternoon today - this is totally unlike anything that I normally record. Loads of different tones in here - haven't quite worked out what I'm gonna go with it yet.

View attachment 97187

Wow pretty nice. Nice textures and shit. I'm guessing those cleanish tones are coil-split? They sound pretty jangly. They're a little thin, need a bit more tight lows to me. The wah'd up lead noise at the end is great. Pretty good. Do something with this.

Cheers mate, just trying to think where I want to take it next. It is all coil split aside from the very end, I love the coil split on cleans. Actually I just love this guitar! Playing better than ever since its little tune up on Thursday.

Ray, I've seen that swell forecast, looks epic! I had a good afternoon surfing shoulder high waves on Friday but it's pretty small today.

We actually get tides I'm excess of 11m here! Some of the biggest in the world

On this day in 2002, the coolest Ramone passed away. Not many people in here are fans or even care, but these guys meant everything to me musically. RIP Dee Dee. 1-2-3-4!

Dee_Dee_Ramone_-_CBGBs_77.jpg

heard an interview yesterday on NPR with the last remaining member of the band .... forgotten which but he was described as 'the last living Ramone' ..... it was pretty interesting.
One thing he said was they did NOT like getting spit on .... no surprise there .... but he said they had to take it because it was the fans way of expressing appreciation.

Ya' know ..... back in the late 70's we had a band in Baton Rouge called "The Flying Rosetti s" and everyone in the band got called 'something' Rosetti .... I forgot my name .... the leader was Johnny Rosetti .... I may have been Gino but I can't remember.

Absolutely no one in that band was aware of the Ramones (were they even big in the 70's?) .... it was just Johnny's idea and we thought it was funny.

I think it's cool we did the same name thing as the Ramones.

So what do you boys think? Was thinking of picking up some speakers for an existing cab but this would be less expensive. Always wanted a Marshall 4x12 but never wanted to actually lug it around. Now I have some studio space and my GAS is kicking in.

Marshall 4x12 cabinet

heard an interview yesterday on NPR with the last remaining member of the band .... forgotten which but he was described as 'the last living Ramone' ..... it was pretty interesting.
One thing he said was they did NOT like getting spit on .... no surprise there .... but he said they had to take it because it was the fans way of expressing appreciation.

Ya' know ..... back in the late 70's we had a band in Baton Rouge called "The Flying Rosetti s" and everyone in the band got called 'something' Rosetti .... I forgot my name .... the leader was Johnny Rosetti .... I may have been Gino but I can't remember.

Absolutely no one in that band was aware of the Ramones (were they even big in the 70's?) .... it was just Johnny's idea and we thought it was funny.

I think it's cool we did the same name thing as the Ramones.
There are actually three living Ramones left. None of them are original members, but Marky (2nd drummer) was the longest lasting and did the most with the band of the non-original members. Were the Ramones big in the 70s? No, not really. Not in mainstream America. They were never big in any decade, but the mid/late 70s was their best time period.

So what do you boys think? Was thinking of picking up some speakers for an existing cab but this would be less expensive. Always wanted a Marshall 4x12 but never wanted to actually lug it around. Now I have some studio space and my GAS is kicking in.

Marshall 4x12 cabinet

I'd say pass on that. It's pretty beat, it might not even be an actual Marshall cab. For the same price or just a hair more you can get a real clean used 1960 4x12 cab.

Edit - on second thought, if you can go see it, pop the back panel off and look at the speakers. If they're 80s G12T-75s, buy it.

Thank you, sir. That's why I asked. You know your shit on these cabs and I have no clue. They come up all the time around here so I just have to be patient (until my GAS has me spending money elsewhere :laughings: ).

Thank you, sir. That's why I asked. You know your shit on these cabs and I have no clue. They come up all the time around here so I just have to be patient (until my GAS has me spending money elsewhere :laughings: ).

Right, patience. If you're really wanting a Marshall 4x12, you'll find many way better than that one.

Yeah, I never got that at all, being spit on...While I'm not a fan like Greg, I do like some of their stuff, & have to admit they were an icon....still are, really, but just sayin'...

Marshall 4x12 cabinet

If you've got the coin, I say go for it Bill. That's just like my "bastard" cab, gave $300 + $50 shipping 2 years ago. I bought mine used from GC, & all I had to go by was a picture. When I got it, the bolts holding the speakers were rolling around in the cab, & a couple of the speakers were actually about to fall off the baffle, but nothing a screwdriver couldn't fix...

I do recommend ditching the mono/stereo switch, & replacing 1/4" jacks though. I didn't have a problem, as I nipped it in the bud, before it had a chance, but I've read about a lot of those failing, which could take a transformer or something else with it...

Roughed up, scuffed, whatever, as long as it's not falling apart, go for it dude...IIRC, my cab came from Houston, I do remember it was in Texas though...:)

I always though Johnny Ramone was really cool. That guitar slung low and he always had that "go to hell!" look on his face.

The Ramones weren't big in Oz at any time but they were famous/infamous from It's Alive, (I actually have a copy of the movie they took the name from), on with 10,1000s of people who were into music.
Bill L, I have a not great Marshall 4 x 12 and it's NOT great - merely adequate. If I'd known or had the awareness of a resource such a Greg I'd have waited, saved a little more and have a killer cab.

I always though Johnny Ramone was really cool. That guitar slung low and he always had that "go to hell!" look on his face.
Haha, Johnny is the only famous person that's ever lived that I wish I could be friends with.

The Ramones weren't big in Oz at any time but they were famous/infamous from It's Alive, (I actually have a copy of the movie they took the name from), on with 10,1000s of people who were into music.
Bill L, I have a not great Marshall 4 x 12 and it's NOT great - merely adequate. If I'd known or had the awareness of a resource such a Greg I'd have waited, saved a little more and have a killer cab.

What kind of cab do you have anyway? Don't you have a standard 1960 4x12?

JDOD...
Cool guitar tones man. The start reminded me of the intro to Aerosmiths "last child". I realize your tune is nothing like that one but I'm talking about the guitar tone.
I thought you tune was cool as well.

Greg,
my Marshall cabinet is a VS412 LEAD 4x12 8ohm.
marshall cab front.JPGmarshall cab.JPGarray.JPGspeakers.JPG
These photos aren't my cab but same model etc. Mine's in rather better cosmetic condition.
Chipboard box!!!

JDOD...
Cool guitar tones man. The start reminded me of the intro to Aerosmiths "last child". I realize your tune is nothing like that one but I'm talking about the guitar tone.
I thought you tune was cool as well.

Cheers, Jimi. I'm quite surprised by people mentioning that they like this one so much. Thanks again.
I was just putting into together as a modey exercise.

I was writing and recording this as I went along on Saturday - I'll see if I can finish writing it over this week so I can record it properly next weekend.

Back