The New Tone Thread

Kinda like that Greenback tone, familiar Southern rock tone, nice.
Did you cut a track with the DSL1 at the full 1 watt into the speakers?
The speakers might open it up a little more.

Thanks man, southern rock is what I was going for (maybe a modern Skynyrd or something)....I put a little slide part in there tonight, but I'm gonna wait until I finish it a little more before I post it...I've got an album's worth (or more) of songs I've yet to finish, been chasing tones forever it seems, but I'm learning my gear a lot better lately, maybe I can actually finish a song....Been sayin' that for over a year now....I did finish one (somewhat) back in the summer if that counts...:facepalm:

I didn't use the 1w mode today, so no, didn't use the "high power" setting...:laughings:......I changed the speaker in my ISO cab, put the V30 in there & I like the difference on this song anyway....Seems to have more crunch, & a shitload more mids, so I'm gonna leave it in there for a couple/few more days to try it on some other songs I'm working on....

You're right though, the 1w mode does sound a little better, but really, it ain't much different than the 0.1w setting tone wise, if any, just a drop in volume...I did these tracks last night about 3-4 in the morning...Not that it would make any difference noise-wise with my ISO cab, I was just making sure I didn't piss off the warden while I'm on vacation this week.....

One of your posts sticks in my mind about the tubes in your 1w amp, you mentioned V3 having a 12AX7, that's actually part of the power section. It won't hurt the amp, & will actually give you a little more headroom/volume, just wanted you to know that V3 came from the factory with an ECC82 in my amp...

You're the guy who posted the pics of the 3 Charvel guitars, right??? Nice, what kind of p'ups do they have???? And, what speakers are in the 4x12 behind 'em???

Post some tones dude!!!

So I re-amped the panned guitars with the V30...very different speaker compared to the Greenback, less highs, less lows, & a lot more mids....Exact same settings on the amp, & I put the mic as close as I could where it was on the GB...I'd probably have to dial the amp in a little better if I were going to use the V30, probably turn the mids way down IMO, but, the mid-hump in the V30 makes the guitars cut through the mix pretty good I think....Lemme know what you think....

Ibanez > interface >re-amp box > V30 (first clip) Greenback (second clip) >CO-1(mic pre-amp on about 2)

Tone rolled off on guitar
DSL-1:
0.1w mode
Red Channel
Bass: 10
Mid: 5
Treble: 3
Gain: 2
Volume: 9
Deep: On
Tone Shift: Off

Solo'd V30 guitar:

Solo'd Greenback guitar:

Short V30 mix:

Short Greenback mix:

I put all the clips in this post so you guys won't have to go searching through the thread to find the GB tracks for comparison.....

While there's not a huge difference in the mix clips, there is a big difference in the solo'd guitar tracks, I guess all the other stuff in the mix is masking quite a bit, plus, this is a really quick-n-dirty mix too....(in other words, it's shitty....:laughings:)

Lemme know what you guys think.....

For that song, that mix, I definitely like the V30 tracks better. Nice and crunchy!

For that song, that mix, I definitely like the V30 tracks better. Nice and crunchy!

Thanks Greg, you know, I'd forgotten how the V30 reacts with the 'lil Marshall, it's like having a boost pedal in a way, the gain was only on about 2 for these clips....Which the red channel does have a lot of gain, but still.....Very different than the Greenback speaker....If/when you ever decide to get rid of one of the T-75's please be sure to let me know dude, I bet they'd be just the ticket to the 80's tones I love so much.....And, while I'm at it, you wanna get rid of the RAT pedal???

To be honest, I thought you'd forgotten about this thread, I thought you were busy practicing for the showdown where that guy called you out on having better playing chops....:laughings:

Thanks Greg, you know, I'd forgotten how the V30 reacts with the 'lil Marshall, it's like having a boost pedal in a way, the gain was only on about 2 for these clips....Which the red channel does have a lot of gain, but still.....Very different than the Greenback speaker....If/when you ever decide to get rid of one of the T-75's please be sure to let me know dude, I bet they'd be just the ticket to the 80's tones I love so much.....And, while I'm at it, you wanna get rid of the RAT pedal???

To be honest, I thought you'd forgotten about this thread, I thought you were busy practicing for the showdown where that guy called you out on having better playing chops....:laughings:

Haha dude if I had a nickel for every time some internet moron tried to call me out or proclaim that he's better than me at anything, I'd have like ten million trillion nickels. Seriously, I'm like the go-to target for insecure types that feel they have something to prove. I don't know why it is. Maybe I'm too cocky, or arrogant, or confident, or all of the above? I don't give one single fuck. I never said I'm better than anybody, I just do what I do and think what I think and say what I say and I'll stand behind it.

The Rat - I have mixed feelings about it. I go back and forth. The one I have is actually a valuable little pedal. I kind of feel like saving it for a rainy day. I just don't know what I wanna do with it yet. I think I'd like to maybe trade it for a speaker.

The G12T-75 - I haven't done anything with them yet, but there are plans. I'll have 4 of them sitting around, so you'll be in business when I'm ready to move them. I'll trade you one for your Vintage 30. :)

Thanks man, southern rock is what I was going for (maybe a modern Skynyrd or something)....I put a little slide part in there tonight, but I'm gonna wait until I finish it a little more before I post it...I've got an album's worth (or more) of songs I've yet to finish, been chasing tones forever it seems, but I'm learning my gear a lot better lately, maybe I can actually finish a song....Been sayin' that for over a year now....I did finish one (somewhat) back in the summer if that counts...:facepalm:

I didn't use the 1w mode today, so no, didn't use the "high power" setting...:laughings:......I changed the speaker in my ISO cab, put the V30 in there & I like the difference on this song anyway....Seems to have more crunch, & a shitload more mids, so I'm gonna leave it in there for a couple/few more days to try it on some other songs I'm working on....

You're right though, the 1w mode does sound a little better, but really, it ain't much different than the 0.1w setting tone wise, if any, just a drop in volume...I did these tracks last night about 3-4 in the morning...Not that it would make any difference noise-wise with my ISO cab, I was just making sure I didn't piss off the warden while I'm on vacation this week.....

One of your posts sticks in my mind about the tubes in your 1w amp, you mentioned V3 having a 12AX7, that's actually part of the power section. It won't hurt the amp, & will actually give you a little more headroom/volume, just wanted you to know that V3 came from the factory with an ECC82 in my amp...

You're the guy who posted the pics of the 3 Charvel guitars, right??? Nice, what kind of p'ups do they have???? And, what speakers are in the 4x12 behind 'em???

Post some tones dude!!!

The "warden", lol I know that feeling!

You're correct about the tubes, I have the GE82's in those two sideways slots like the amp came, so I guess my idea of V3 was the tube slot at the end furthest from V1, understand? lol
I got em right, thanks :guitar:

Charvels? Yeah I got a bunch of them, the stuff made in the old "Gaki" factory in Japan was top notch quality, they were craftsmen for sure. My buddies bust my chops over the Charvel only attitude of mine after they watched me sell my Strat Plus and Les Pauls. Once I felt the compound radius necks on the Charvels, I was hooked. Plus, I have a Model 1A that sounds more like a Strat than some Strats do, lol, the rest are metal beasts.

Most of mine have the stock Jackson (Made in America) pickups, J50's (with active mid boost) J80C - mellow hard rock/metal tone, J90C - Hi-output metal/shred tones, one of my Charvels has a rare J95 alnico hi-power with a super focused distortion its pretty unique, I wish I had more of them J95's if anyone wants to sell one shoot me a pm!:cool:

I still like the tones of the Duncan JB, Custom and Pearly Gates too, heck been told that most of those old Jackson USA pick-ups were wound by MJ anyway.

Nov 13th 13 007.JPG

As for recording some tunes, soon enough Bro, doing the acoustic treatments in the room so the mix translates well outside of it, also have a "new to me" 1988 Charvel Model 2B bass on the way and a few "honey do" projects around the house, but I hope to cut some tracks soon enough.

O'yeah, almost forgot.
I think the speakers in my cab are the 75's, its from my old 900 rig.
Trust me, let that amp breath at 1 watt, mine sounds like its got a blanket over it with that 1/2 watt button in; seems to kill harmonic's sustain to me. IMHO :guitar:

Keep rockin!

Greg: It's cool you don't wanna sell/trade the RAT pedal dude, no biggie.....On the T75, I was thinking more along the lines of sending you $$$ rather than trading my V30 off....You've got a V30 cab, right???? The V30 & GB are the only speakers I have, so really, I don't wanna part with either....Lemme know if you wanna talk about just selling one of the T75's though, but no biggie either way either....

I've noticed you do get "called out" quite a bit...I think it's funny too, as I know you don't give a flying fuck what anyone else thinks or says...:)IIRC, didn't Groovy do the same thing back in the summer kinda??? Still funny though...:laughings:

Wavewarrior: Nice setup man, I like the one on the right (next to the end) with the sharktooh inlays, with the 3 on/off switches instead of a 5-way, I had an Ibanez with that setup, & could get tones impossible with a 5-way (neck & bridge together)....Just post some clips when you get time dude....again, nice setup....

Wavewarrior: Nice setup man, I like the one on the right (next to the end) with the sharktooh inlays, with the 3 on/off switches instead of a 5-way, I had an Ibanez with that setup, & could get tones impossible with a 5-way (neck & bridge together)....Just post some clips when you get time dude....again, nice setup....

Thanks for the props.
Both of those shark tooth neck guitars have the same switch set-up.
The blue one is a Model 4, bolt on neck and the red one is a Model 6 neck thru.
They have an active 9 volt mid-range boost from the factory.
If you ever see one in a store of pawn shop, give it a try, they're nice guitars.

The black one 3rd from the left is a Model 2 that was once owned by "Blackfoot", if you look close at the Charvel logo on the headstock you'll see that the white letters are almost brown from playing in bars around the world. They had it set-up for slide playing most all its life, so basically no fret wear, it's got nice mojo too.

Take care and thanks again.

Greg: It's cool you don't wanna sell/trade the RAT pedal dude, no biggie.....On the T75, I was thinking more along the lines of sending you $$$ rather than trading my V30 off....You've got a V30 cab, right???? The V30 & GB are the only speakers I have, so really, I don't wanna part with either....Lemme know if you wanna talk about just selling one of the T75's though, but no biggie either way either....
Yes I do have a V30 cab, the 2x12. But those are two 8 ohm speakers in series. I need two 16 ohm V30s for this B cab. My plans for the B cab are V30s and something else that I haven't quite decided on yet. Probably G12H30s or I might even keep two of the T75s in there even though I know the V30s will overpower them. V30s on the bottom and G12T75s on the top row could work instead of an X-pattern. My main end goal is to have the A cab as a more vintage sounding cab, and the B cab as a more aggressive modern sounding cab.

I've noticed you do get "called out" quite a bit...I think it's funny too, as I know you don't give a flying fuck what anyone else thinks or says...:)IIRC, didn't Groovy do the same thing back in the summer kinda??? Still funny though...:laughings:
Yeah it's weird. I'm like the pied-piper of retards.

yeah, me too.
The thing about 5 watt amps if you try gigging with them is that to keep up you need to crank 'em and most of them are aimed at recording so they already have some gain built-in ......... by the time you crank 'em all the way they're dirty as hell.

But the reviews I've read and heard on this one make it sound like even all the way up all it'll do is 'crunch' so for any real distortion you need a pedal.
That's perfect for me although that's prolly why it was getting blown out the doors at MF. Most players want an amp to go into that sustain hi-gain thing. I do too if it's available but far more important to me are the clean tones so I'm hopefull this one'll do the trick.
I'll try it at rehearsal tomorrow night ..... the pico valve was useless for that so it'll give me a good idea of how it is.

Wavewarrior: Again, nice setup man, love the Charvels...I really didn't pay attention that the two "sharkfin" guitars are setup the same, very nice.....I like the maple fretboard guitar on the far right too....Nice little story on the history of the black guitar too....

Greg: Since you're trying to put a cab together like that, maybe we could just swap V30's....I've wanted to run both my cabs (with a mic on each one), but I can't since the Greenback is 8 ohms...Lemme know, maybe this could help us both out....And, if you ever decide to sell one of the T75's, I could just buy it....I know I could buy one new for about $100, but still.....No biggie either way on any of this if you don't wanna, I just thought it might help us both out....FWIW, my V30 probably isn't even broken in yet. I've had it for about a year now, but honestly haven't used it very much at all, the GB has been my main speaker all this time....Lemme know dude....

Bob
: Nice score, I looked at those amps when I picked the HT-5, but like you said, most people want high-gain, & I'm one of 'em....Clips when you get it & get time dude!!!

With all this stuff about sims lately I decided to play around with a version of Guitar Rig 4LE that came with Sonar. I messed around with it in demo mode before but never cared much for it. So I finally registered the thing and set it up and played around with it last night. Some of the tones were okay but the decay tails seemed kinda funny on some of the simple patches I set up.

The other thing I noticed was after about an hour I was getting serious ear fatigue, really similar to what I get listening to stuff patched through an MPX-1 after a while.

Anybody else notice ear fatigue from sims or digital processing?

It's not from being too loud, it was late and wife was asleep so volume was pretty reasonable for that circumstance.

SG w/ DiM Dual Sound humbuckers > Meek VC6Q > LynxAudio 2A > Guitar Rig > Lynx > mackie 1402 > Carver PM-120 amp > Klipsch KG 2.2 speakers.

Anybody else notice ear fatigue from sims or digital processing?

It's not from being too loud, it was late and wife was asleep so volume was pretty reasonable for that circumstance.

SG w/ DiM Dual Sound humbuckers > Meek VC6Q > LynxAudio 2A > Guitar Rig > Lynx > mackie 1402 > Carver PM-120 amp > Klipsch KG 2.2 speakers.
well ........... audiophiles speak of this fairly often.
There was, in fact, an article about this very thing in my last issue of Stereophile. I can't say that I've personally noticed it but I also don't really do a lot of digital stuff. Maybe I just need more time with it to be bothered by it.
But it's absolutely a phenomena that very many people say they experience.

well ........... audiophiles speak of this fairly often.
There was, in fact, an article about this very thing in my last issue of Stereophile. I can't say that I've personally noticed it but I also don't really do a lot of digital stuff. Maybe I just need more time with it to be bothered by it.
But it's absolutely a phenomena that very many people say they experience.

I listen to a LOT of digital audio, hours and hours of streaming stuff off archive.org and really don't seem to get the same kind of listening fatigue from that.

Using the MPX-1 years ago was when I first noticed it. It doesn't take long for that thing to drive me up the wall. I don't know if it's the converters in it or what. It just grates on me really quickly. I don't seem to get the same effect working with Sonar either.

Greg: Since you're trying to put a cab together like that, maybe we could just swap V30's....I've wanted to run both my cabs (with a mic on each one), but I can't since the Greenback is 8 ohms...Lemme know, maybe this could help us both out....And, if you ever decide to sell one of the T75's, I could just buy it....I know I could buy one new for about $100, but still.....No biggie either way on any of this if you don't wanna, I just thought it might help us both out....FWIW, my V30 probably isn't even broken in yet. I've had it for about a year now, but honestly haven't used it very much at all, the GB has been my main speaker all this time....Lemme know dude....

I wouldn't be opposed to a trade, but I'd still need another 16 ohm V30 and I'd be stuck with one 8 ohm V30. It's an idea though and I'll think about it. Thanks. :)

I've never really experienced ear fatigue with my ampsims, but like Bob, I've read about some guys having it...I'd say ear fatigue from my shitty tones/mixes, but not from the 'sims...:p

On the decay thing, to me, that's one of the downfalls of using the ampsims, all of 'em have it to one extent or another, but I've noticed it more so with Guitar Rig & POD Farm. Amplitube doesn't seem to do it as bad, but, that's just my experience too, YMMV....All the ampsims have a nasty fizz in the upper-mids that's hard to deal with too, if you eq it all out, the tone sucks totally, damned if you do, & damned if you don't....One reason I went to real amps/cabs, is I spent too much time trying to make my guitar tracks sound real, while they still suck now, I think they're better than when I was using the ampsims....

Greg: It was just a thought dude, I know you'd have to get another 16ohm V30, but swapping with me would save you about $100 or so....If you hadn't recommended I try the V30 on the new song, I probably would've traded for the T75....Sorry....Lemme know dude, I'd be glad to trade, & I trust you too (I'd be willing to send my speaker first, then let you use the same box to ship the other back...), hope the feeling's mutual...:D

Greg: It was just a thought dude, I know you'd have to get another 16ohm V30, but swapping with me would save you about $100 or so....If you hadn't recommended I try the V30 on the new song, I probably would've traded for the T75....Sorry....Lemme know dude, I'd be glad to trade, & I trust you too (I'd be willing to send my speaker first, then let you use the same box to ship the other back...), hope the feeling's mutual...:D
Yes, absolutely. I trust you and it would help both of us out. Let me think about it for a bit. Let's wait till just after Christmas because that's when I'm gonna start working on this new cab. We can make the trade and I'll sell you the 75 too all at the same time if you still want it.

Yes, absolutely. I trust you and it would help both of us out. Let me think about it for a bit. Let's wait till just after Christmas because that's when I'm gonna start working on this new cab. We can make the trade and I'll sell you the 75 too all at the same time if you still want it.

That's cool dude, no hurry on my part either, I'd have to put a little $$$ aside for the T75 anyway, seems I'm always a broke fucker anymore....The $$$ I had saved up for the "big" amp, well, my parents needed some help last month & I wasn't about to turn 'em down ya know...But anyway, lemme know if/how/when, I'll be here....When you get ready to do this, pm me & I'll send you my cell # too so we can actually talk....Thanks Greg, if we do this, this'll help me out quite a bit (the T75 especially) & may save you about $100 or so....The T75 is 16 ohms, right????

Since I'm here, I've read the debate on 8 vs. 16 ohm tone difference, do you personally think there is one??? I wouldn't think so myself, but don't know from experience....

A buddy is supposed to send me another Duncan Custom Custom, but with some different magnets to try in the strat, so maybe all these "little" things will keep me at bay for a while...:laughings:

Back