The New Tone Thread

That's fair - it's a mid cut when compared to the 57's mid honk, but I'm sure it is just more flat. How does raw with the preamp on 10 sound compared to the pedals?

That's fair - it's a mid cut when compared to the 57's mid honk, but I'm sure it is just more flat. How does raw with the preamp on 10 sound compared to the pedals?

It really depends on where the master volume is. The overdrive pedals really just sort of tighten everything up some. I don't add any "distortion", but the pedals do slam the front end harder. Even though this is a master volume amp, the preamp volume and master still kind of work together like the Super Lead 4-holers. Not to the same extent, but it's kind of similar. With the preamp on 10 and the master at say 3 or 4, it's loud and super crunchy but controlled. Once the master gets around 5 all hell starts breaking loose and the preamp vol starts to lose it's control a little. 8-10 on the preamp is pretty much the same once the power section is kicking. I need to do more clips with it. One close mic doesn't really capture the absolute ridiculousness of the JMP though. I need to blend in a room mic. It's insane sitting here next to it. I used it tonight at band practice. No pedal, straight to amp. Pre gain around 7-8. It was great. 3.5 on the master vol was way loud enough.

I meant to reply yesterday, but I was going on about 2 hours sleep, the wife had another surgery yesterday....so far, so good with her, her doctor told me yesterday there was no sign of cancer, but he's gonna send the "stuff" he took out for tests just to be sure....Long fuckin' day for me, 2 hours sleep, an hour drive each way, left the house at about 4 am yesterday, got home about 4-5 yesterday evening, I was pretty much killed out....I'd rather work a 16 hour shift than sit at the hospital all day like that....

On the mic placement, just the usual cap meets the cone thing, about 2-3" from the speaker (just guessing....my ISO cab doesn't have a speaker grill, so I can put it right up on the speaker if I want, but I usually try to back it off a little)...I may have had the mic turned slightly toward the edge of the speaker a little bit, to give it a little more bass/bottom end...

Gotta run, I've got a doctor's appointment myself this morning, hopefully they won't keep me up there all fuckin' day....

Ok, here's another shitty clip of me just messing around, trying different fx through my DSL-1....I ran a stomp emulation (AT3's "The Ambass'dor", which is a Marshall Guv'nor pedal emulation) on the di, into the amp via the re-amp box...All the od/distortion is coming from the "stomp", the green channel of the DSL-1 is really clean, even with the gain & vol maxed out...

Post-processing is a room reverb, chorus, & plate reverb on the recorded amp track....

The main thing I was working on for this clip to be honest is getting the levels matched with the re-amp box, when I plug straight into my amp, then compare recording a di > amp track, I'm losing some gain, so, I've been trying to get the levels sorted out...I'd talked about this before (with Greg a week or so ago), but never really noticed how much signal/gain I was losing with the re-amp box until a couple/few days ago...The way I've been adjusting this so far is turning the fader on the hardware output up (which goes to the re-amp box...).....

While I really like how this sounds, it'd probably sound like pure shit in a mix, but, for just fucking around (like I'm doing here) I think it sounds pretty good myself, especially since the boost/od is coming from an ampsim...:D

Another thing I'm really liking is the Samson condensor mic, I'm shocked at how good it actually sounds to be honest. Like I've said, I've had this thing for almost 5 years now, & while I've had decent results on vocals & acoustic guitars, I personally think it sounds better than the '57...IMO, it just sounds "bigger".....

Lemme know what you guys think....

Signal chain:
Ibanez > interface > re-amp box > DSL-1 > Greenback >CO-1:

AT3:
The Ambass'dor:
Gain:10
Level:5.5
Bass:10
Mid:5.5
Treble:10

DSL-1:
0.1w mode
Green Channel
Bass: 10
Mid: 5.5
Treble: 8
Gain: 10
Volume: 3
Deep: On
Tone Shift: Off

hear's an Akai Headrush being overused.

Warning to Greg ..... do not listen to this. Even though I can truthfully say I say down and simply started playing adding track after track with no actual 'writing' taking place .... it still headed into a direction that will have the same effect on you as sodium pentothal so you wouldn't be able to drive or operate heavy machinery for several days after.

Actually ...... I'm not sure why I'm even posting it but I'm getting the studio up and running and throw away recordings are part of the process and you guys are the only ones around here I care to talk to! :D

Note: the very first note on the slide is way outta tune but it's fine after that so don't panic.

Attachments

• wasted time.mp3
    5.4 MB · Views: 16
Hey Bob,
I actually like this dude, yeah, it's pretty mellow to say the least, but it's different....Nice mellow tones, only thing I'd lose are the "nature" sounds....Nothing wrong with this at all dude, & yes, I'm a pretty hardcore rocker, but I do like all different kinds of stuff...

Post some more dude....

Lt. Bob,
that's really cool. Nice to hear clean tones cleanly played.
I like the night life ambience too.
Is that long delay or did you add the repeats manually?
VERY enjoyable.

Lt. Bob,
that's really cool. Nice to hear clean tones cleanly played.
I like the night life ambience too.
Is that long delay or did you add the repeats manually?
VERY enjoyable.
thanks rayc and minerman..... I appreciate it. I didn't really do a lot with it ..... did the entire thing in maybe 4 hours and basically just winged it ..... just played something on acoustic and started adding tracks.

The delay is an Akai Headrush pedal and in its tape mode it has 4 virtual heads.
So I sent each repeat to a different channel and panned them across the soundstage so the 4 repeats each are in a different spot running from hard left to hard right.

Probably a medium time ..... I timed it to fit right against the music.

The amp is an Epi Valve Jr thru a Heathkit stereo speaker with the tweeter disconnected.

Warning to Greg ..... do not listen to this. Even though I can truthfully say I say down and simply started playing adding track after track with no actual 'writing' taking place .... it still headed into a direction that will have the same effect on you as sodium pentothal so you wouldn't be able to drive or operate heavy machinery for several days after.

Actually ...... I'm not sure why I'm even posting it but I'm getting the studio up and running and throw away recordings are part of the process and you guys are the only ones around here I care to talk to! :D

Note: the very first note on the slide is way outta tune but it's fine after that so don't panic.

That's beautiful Bob, interesting point about throwaway recordings.
I've been getting my studio together lately as well, it is as together as it has ever been.
I'm even spending some time in it!

Ok, here's another shitty clip of me just messing around, trying different fx through my DSL-1....I ran a stomp emulation (AT3's "The Ambass'dor", which is a Marshall Guv'nor pedal emulation) on the di, into the amp via the re-amp box...All the od/distortion is coming from the "stomp", the green channel of the DSL-1 is really clean, even with the gain & vol maxed out...

Post-processing is a room reverb, chorus, & plate reverb on the recorded amp track....

The main thing I was working on for this clip to be honest is getting the levels matched with the re-amp box, when I plug straight into my amp, then compare recording a di > amp track, I'm losing some gain, so, I've been trying to get the levels sorted out...I'd talked about this before (with Greg a week or so ago), but never really noticed how much signal/gain I was losing with the re-amp box until a couple/few days ago...The way I've been adjusting this so far is turning the fader on the hardware output up (which goes to the re-amp box...).....

While I really like how this sounds, it'd probably sound like pure shit in a mix, but, for just fucking around (like I'm doing here) I think it sounds pretty good myself, especially since the boost/od is coming from an ampsim...:D

Another thing I'm really liking is the Samson condensor mic, I'm shocked at how good it actually sounds to be honest. Like I've said, I've had this thing for almost 5 years now, & while I've had decent results on vocals & acoustic guitars, I personally think it sounds better than the '57...IMO, it just sounds "bigger".....

Lemme know what you guys think....

Signal chain:
Ibanez > interface > re-amp box > DSL-1 > Greenback >CO-1:

AT3:
The Ambass'dor:
Gain:10
Level:5.5
Bass:10
Mid:5.5
Treble:10

DSL-1:
0.1w mode
Green Channel
Bass: 10
Mid: 5.5
Treble: 8
Gain: 10
Volume: 3
Deep: On
Tone Shift: Off

Lol! What fucking decade is it anyway? :laughings:

That sounds very good man, very early 80's Randy-ish. The lead guitarist in my band would shit his pants if he heard that. I'm gonna play it for him. I'm serious, he's gonna literally shit. That kind of sound is right up his alley. Very well done.

That's pretty damn amazing Boob. The delays bouncing around are awesome. Like at 1:22. Just incredible. Very nice. You just winged that shit?

You just winged that shit?
totally ..... I did the acoustic and that was basically winged .... I think the one I used was the third attempt. Then I added another acoustic and the tympanis ..... everything was timed to try and match the crickets at the beginning although it drifted around that all over the place.
Then I had to go to a gig and when I got home all partied up I did the slide. The most time consuming part of that was deciding how I wanted the delay ... the slide playing was over pretty quick!

Thanks Greg,
You know, honestly, I don't think I need a big 50/100w amp dude, I think my problem all along has been the '57....While they're great on cranked "big" amps, the condensor I've been using lately blows it completely away IMO, and, at lower (amp) volume too, which is a big plus for me...Pretty cool I used an ampsim's od/stompbox on the di & it turned out this way too, I'm actually pretty happy with the tones I've been getting with the condensor man, wish I'd tried that thing a long time ago....Thanks for the compliment dude, means a lot coming from a guy as talented as you....Thanks again!!!

Bob, your clip is really good man, I bet you could add another part here/there & make a great song out of that. Super tone & playing too IMHO dude, very impressive to say the least.....

Bob, your clip is really good man, I bet you could add another part here/there & make a great song out of that. Super tone & playing too IMHO dude, very impressive to say the least.....
thanks man ...... to be truthful I'd be surprised if I ever bother with it again. For me what's important is the process ...... I like the actual doing of it when I'm recording ....... and the moment of creativity .... the physical playing of the instruments and getting them to not clash too much! :D ...... then I mix it so I like it at that particular moment and I'm usually done with it.
It's pretty rare that I'll go back and revisit any of this stuff 'cause to me I'm just diddling around.

I do realize that I should leave at least one serious piece of music and I'm in the early stages of contacting my muse and seeing if he's still alive. He was very ill ....... :D
You can bet that when (if) I do finally get going on something serious I'll be right here with you specific guys to help me fine tune it.
I'm respecting all ya'lls ears.

Bob: We're very different on our music dude, I'll work on a song for a long time, trying to make it as good as I can (I know I've gotten into the "tweaking" shit too much for too long though....), & I think I need to try to be more like you recording-wise, just wing it, mix it, & move on to the next one....Only thing is, again, I try to make all my stuff sound really good (not saying yours doesn't sound good, actually, it sounds great, just sayin' it takes me forever to do anything...), so, I spend waaaaay too much time on my songs...Really impressive song clip you did there Bob, myself, I'd work it up into a full song dude, but that's just me.....

Since Greg liked my last tone so much (thanks dude, means a lot to me...), I decided to try that tone in one of the songs I'm working on....I've posted this before, but it is a little different now, I used the same amp/fx settings from the last clip & re-amped the di's (again...:D)...I also changed the drum vsti, while it sounded ok, I think the sounds I've got on it now are a little better, & I'm way more familiar with these (Toontrack....the previous version had Addictive Drums....not anything wrong with either, I'm just more used to Toontrack's stuff, & it makes it easier for me to use....)....So, here's what I did this morning:

I've got vocals written, but of course, don't have 'em tracked/recorded...Maybe I can get some of these songs finished up after the 10 day work marathon I'm in the middle of (working straight through, even Sunday, until the week of Thanksgiving, my "vacation" starts next Wed)...

Lemme know what you guys think:

FWIW, the tone on this is a little different than the last clip, dunno why, it's the same guitar, amp, fx, etc., but it's a little different....Could be the re-amp thing, I dunno. Might try to re-track this tonight after work....

Edit: Let your buddy listen to this clip Greg so he can hear the awesome power of a 1w amp in 0.1w mode in a full band setting....:laughings:

Last edited:
wow .... that amp sounds pretty big ........ ..... I'm a little surprised... I would never guess it's an amp in 1/10 watt mode and I'm liking the tune ..... gonna be great once it's finished. What a great guitar sound. :)

As for my approach to music ..... don't forget, I'm primarily a 'live' player and have mostly been a hired gun playing on short notice with whoever needs a bass/sax/guitar that nite for 7 nights a week for decades. Over here during the winter it's more like 3 nights a week but come spring I'll be right back to 7 or 8 gigs a week.
Also I've done a significant amount of session work which really requires you to get in there .... play something they like and get the hell out!
So winging stuff is kinda what I do ..... for me to some extent once it's played it's gone into the ether never to be seen again!

But as I said , if I can muster the attention span to do some serious recording ya'll will be right in the middle of it.

Bob: We're very different on our music dude, I'll work on a song for a long time, trying to make it as good as I can (I know I've gotten into the "tweaking" shit too much for too long though....), & I think I need to try to be more like you recording-wise, just wing it, mix it, & move on to the next one....Only thing is, again, I try to make all my stuff sound really good (not saying yours doesn't sound good, actually, it sounds great, just sayin' it takes me forever to do anything...), so, I spend waaaaay too much time on my songs...Really impressive song clip you did there Bob, myself, I'd work it up into a full song dude, but that's just me.....

Since Greg liked my last tone so much (thanks dude, means a lot to me...), I decided to try that tone in one of the songs I'm working on....I've posted this before, but it is a little different now, I used the same amp/fx settings from the last clip & re-amped the di's (again...:D)...I also changed the drum vsti, while it sounded ok, I think the sounds I've got on it now are a little better, & I'm way more familiar with these (Toontrack....the previous version had Addictive Drums....not anything wrong with either, I'm just more used to Toontrack's stuff, & it makes it easier for me to use....)....So, here's what I did this morning:

I've got vocals written, but of course, don't have 'em tracked/recorded...Maybe I can get some of these songs finished up after the 10 day work marathon I'm in the middle of (working straight through, even Sunday, until the week of Thanksgiving, my "vacation" starts next Wed)...

Lemme know what you guys think:

FWIW, the tone on this is a little different than the last clip, dunno why, it's the same guitar, amp, fx, etc., but it's a little different....Could be the re-amp thing, I dunno. Might try to re-track this tonight after work....

Edit: Let your buddy listen to this clip Greg so he can hear the awesome power of a 1w amp in 0.1w mode in a full band setting....:laughings:

Yup that's pretty good. Although I think I liked it better in the raw solo clip. I liked the midrange in that other clip better. Maybe the full mix is masking something. But whatever, this is super good for a tiny amp in tiny mode. Hell, it's super good for anything. I bet ANYONE would swear that's a big rig in all it's glory. Go to that knuckleheaded Marshall forum and tell them it's a modded Super Lead. I bet they'll fall over each other talking about awesome it sounds. Then tell them what it really is. :D

Thanks guys,
I don't know why, but the guitars on the clip I posted today sound just a little different than the single guitar I posted a few days ago, it's the same settings, exactly, same guitar, amp, mic, fx in the daw, exactly, but for some reason it's a little different...

Bob: I was a hired gun around here for a few months around the winter of '97-'98. There was a band I was trying really hard to get in (it wasn't that they were all that good, they just had lots of connections/gigs, & had been together for years & years....), & I'd sit in with anybody that asked for a few months. That's how I landed the spot in the last band I was in. Must've impressed 'em because they fired their guitar player & gave me his spot...(There was a lot of shit going on between 'em at the time, & I felt bad in a way, until I learned some of the shit this guy pulled on 'em...)...Never looked back for the "hired gun" thing, I had gigs every weekend from that night on with that band...But, as time went on (I played with 'em until about 2002), we kept playing less & less, I started working more, & eventually it just fizzled out...They did call me a couple/few summers ago & asked if I'd wanna play (county fair, it's a pretty big gig for here actually), & I turned 'em down....I'm pretty much done with gigs dude, I had a lot of problems for years because of my lifestyle, substance abuse to be honest, but I've been clean for almost 7 years now, & wouldn't risk my sobriety/being clean for anything...I'm sure I could play in a band again without using/getting high, but it just doesn't appeal to me anymore...for now, that might change one day, but for now, I'm happy being a bedroom warrior...

You've defintely got talent dude, no doubt about that, I'd love to hear you crank out some rock stuff sometime....Very nice clip you posted dude, keep it up!!!!!

Greg:I dunno why the mids are "meaner" sounding in that other clip, maybe it's something in the mix like you mentioned. But, even when the guitar(s) are isolated/solo'd, they still don't have that "snarl" to 'em...I might try to re-track 'em tonight, we'll see I suppose...Thanks again dude!!!!!!

I started to do just what you suggested, but most of those guys who know me, know I don't have anything except little gear, so it probably wouldn't have worked....Good idea though, I think I blew that rich guy's mind with Amplitube a while back..:D

Here's some more of my goofing around today, DSL boosted with an ampsim's "pedal", with some fx added in the daw....

Univibe > Guv'nr > DSL > Greenback > CO-1

Rat emulation > DSL > Greenback > CO-1

Both tracks have effects added in the daw, but I really like how these sound myself....lemme know what you guys think....

Back