The New Tone Thread

hear's an Akai Headrush being overused.
Very nice Bob - that first part sounds like me waiting for applause at one of my gigs, but once you start playing it's awesome and well mixed.

Here's some more of my goofing around today, DSL boosted with an ampsim's "pedal", with some fx added in the daw....
I like them both, too - the first one is maybe more effected than I usually go to, but it sounds good.

Here's some more of my goofing around today, DSL boosted with an ampsim's "pedal", with some fx added in the daw....

Univibe > Guv'nr > DSL > Greenback > CO-1

Rat emulation > DSL > Greenback > CO-1

Both tracks have effects added in the daw, but I really like how these sound myself....lemme know what you guys think....
I like the "guvnor" better, but both sound great. That mic has really stepped up your sound.

what do y'all think of this sound? This is dry.

That's a great raw sound to me. And excellent song choice! :D

What guitar/amp is that? Please tell me it's a real amp.

That's a great raw sound to me. And excellent song choice! :D

What guitar/amp is that? Please tell me it's a real amp.
IMG_20131126_202005.JPGIt's real - and it's real small - I think it belongs to the 1 watt club. And it may be a founding member of the one knob club - that's about all I can handle. Had the volume at about the 4 o'clock position. The guitar is a SG (standard, I think) with a dirty fingers pickup.

The main problem I have with this one is that it heats up after about 3 songs worth of playing and starts farting out until it cools down again. Not sure what to do. The power tube is a 50C5 - popular in old consumer radios - I can't find an aluminum cooler sleeve that size, assuming that's really what the problem is.

Thanks guys, I can't believe how much better the little 1w amp sounds with the condensor mic, I suppose I'm gonna have to get off my ass & get a couple more/different mics, & try the 2 mic thing too....Thanks again...

Great sound anitchef, a buddy of mine has one of those amps that looks like it was just taken out of the box, he found it in his parent's house a couple years ago, still in the original box, hadn't even been opened....

Speaking of getting off my ass, that ain't gonna happen until Monday bitches, I'm off fucking work & not doing a damn thing except stuffing my face with turkey, going to see the old man, & gettin' some pussy for five motherfuckin' days...with pay.....:D

View attachment 83529It's real - and it's real small - I think it belongs to the 1 watt club. And it may be a founding member of the one knob club - that's about all I can handle. Had the volume at about the 4 o'clock position. The guitar is a SG (standard, I think) with a dirty fingers pickup.

The main problem I have with this one is that it heats up after about 3 songs worth of playing and starts farting out until it cools down again. Not sure what to do. The power tube is a 50C5 - popular in old consumer radios - I can't find an aluminum cooler sleeve that size, assuming that's really what the problem is.

Man that's cool as shit. I remember a while back we were talking about amp techs....check out Steamboat amps if you haven't already. They work on old stuff and build their own really cool stuff from scratch. "Capt Jake" is the boss man, really nice fella. I bet he could whip that little amp into shape.

View attachment 83529It's real - and it's real small - I think it belongs to the 1 watt club. And it may be a founding member of the one knob club - that's about all I can handle. Had the volume at about the 4 o'clock position. The guitar is a SG (standard, I think) with a dirty fingers pickup.

that's freakin' AWESOME!!!!

as for the cooling ....... find a small fan at Walmoart ..... a little 3 or 4 inch thing and stick it round back where it blows directly on the tubes/transformer.
Yeah it'll make a little noise but not much and with the mic in front of the amp any sound will be more than drowned out by the guitar sound.
At the very least you'll find out if overheating is the problem.

Thanks guys - Bob, the fan thing seem obvious now, but I never thought of it - I'll definitely give it a shot. Greg, I've seen those steamboat cabinets around - they look great, I'll definitely check those guys out.

So I got this JVM410 sitting here, and I love it, but I still have yet to really explore all the shit it's 4 channels and 3 modes per channel can do. I found "my sounds" and lazily pretty much just stay there. The Clean channel is supposed to mimic a Marshall Plexi/Super Lead circuit pretty closely, or at least that's what it's designed to do. This amp is a modern masterpiece but it's 100% based on the classic Marshall sounds of yesteryear. I really never play with the Clean channel except to get really clean and surfy, so I'm gonna explore the Clean channel's raunchier settings. Here's a quick and nasty first attempt at some bright and cutting early AC/DC-ish sounds.

Epi SG w/ 57 Classic bridge pickup and strings that are way old and dead
Marshall JVM410 Clean channel, red mode
Bass - 1
Mid - 3
Treb - 8
Resonance and presence - 0
Gain - 2.5
Channel vol - 5
Master vol - 5 - this was really loud, but not knock the walls down loud.
1960a 4x12 - Greenback - Audix i5 halfway to edge on-axis, on grill
No EQ or processing in DAW

whole lotta stupid

Let me know what you think.

Seems like you've got the grit/gain/high end pretty close, but it's lacking bottom/punch dude, maybe turn the bass up a little??? Pretty good for just futzing around though, but it does need some bottom end....

I watched a vid about the JVM JS model last night, & the guy doing the vid said he had 2 "regular" JVM's & the JS model blows 'em away...The sound wasn't really all that good (I think it was recorded with a shitty camera), but you could tell the amp was kick ass....It'd better be for as much as it cost though....

That guy is shit. He's the one guy on the planet that couldn't use a jvm and he's bashed it ever since. Joey Dahlia is more credible than that guy IMO. Lol. His reviews are garbage.

Ive played a JS. I think its crunch channel is better than the standard JVMs, but the other channels fall short. Its a good amp for sounding like Dokken or Whitesnake. I'm not interested in that.

Yeah I agree about the guy Greg, if I were going to do a 45 min review, I'd at least mic the amp up properly...I honestly don't know how the JVM compares to the JVM JS, but I'd be happy with either....

Been working on some new tones, might post 'em up in a while...

Your last clip has about the right amount of gain & "bite", but it needs more bottom IMHO....Still could work in a mix though, very impressed with the JVM regardless.....

Thanks fellas. :)
Yeah, it's thin. No doubt. Probably not a tone I'd use myself, but I do like it's rawness and I was just going off memory of what those earliest AC/DC tones sounded like. I was thinking of "Let There Be Rock". Those are some really tight, bright, crunchy sounds. That's kind of what I was going for with it. I'll give it another shot with more bass. The Clean channel on this amp is different than the others because it goes EQ then to the gain stages. You can tailor which frequency bands get tube crunched. I've never really gave the clean channel much attention. It's very different.

Minerman - the JVM JS is indeed a great amp and I can totally see why so many people rave about it. I'm definitely in the minority in not liking it as much as the standard JVM. For one, I don't like that the JS killed the reverbs for noise gates. I don't ever need a noise gate. I don't use much reverb ever either, but I'd rather have reverb than noise gates. Secondly, I think the JS's OD2 channel is the same as OD1. That's a common mod many people do to their JVM - mod the OD2 to be the same as OD1. I think that is pretty silly. I don't quite get the reasoning, but whatever. Also, another common complaint with the standard JVM is that there is a lot of variation from mode to mode with big jumps in gain when switching modes within a channel. I like that feature of the JVM. The JS is more homogenized with each mode more similar to it's sister modes within each channel. The JS also has milder gain. The standard JVM has an insane amount of gain on tap. I think the JS has has less and some people find that more "usable". To me all of that favors the standard JVM. That's just to me. The standard JVM actually seems less refined, more raw and aggressive, and I really love it. The Crunch channel on the JS is a killer though. It's phenomenal. If they made an affordable single channel amp that's only the JS Crunch channel, I think they'd sell a trillion of them. The JS Crunch channel is like the best sounding modded Super Lead or JCM 800 you've ever heard. It's VERY guitar god 80's sounding. You'd really love it. I like it too, but not enough to ditch my JVM for a JS version. The only amp I'd considering dropping the JVM for is the YJM. Now that amp is a baaaaaad motherfucker.

Last edited:
I really haven't read a lot of reviews on the differences between the JVM & JVM JS to be honest Greg, but from what you describe, I'd probably like the "regular" JVM better as far as tone....Now on the noise gate vs. reverb, I'd take the gate anyday myself, I could always add reverb in the daw or the loop....But, it could go either way too on the gate vs. 'verb.....

The tone you posted would probably sit in a mix great, most of the time, the low end is rolled off anyway to make room for the bass....Still, I'd like to hear the same settings/guitar/etc., but with the bass & maybe the resonance turned up myself....You've got me into these "chunky" tones dude, it's all your fault...:laughings:

I'm still working on those tones I mentioned awhile ago, they're nothing special, one's for a song I started yesterday, I'll go open the daw & render one of 'em for shits-n-giggles....

OK, here's yet another song I started tonight, slapped this together in a couple of hours I guess....

Semi-clean DSL:
Ibanez > interface >re-amp box > Greenback >CO-1(mic pre-amp on about 2)

DSL-1:
0.1w mode
Green Channel
Bass: 10
Mid: 7
Treble: 5.3
Gain: 10
Volume: 10
Deep: On
Tone Shift: Off

Crunch-y DSL:
Ibanez > interface >re-amp box > Greenback >CO-1(mic pre-amp on about 2)

Tone rolled off on guitar
DSL-1:
0.1w mode
Red Channel
Mid: 5.2
Treble: 3
Gain: 2
Volume: 9

And here they are in a shitty mix:

I've got some ideas about some other stuff for the song, maybe some slide would suit it & sound good....we'll see I suppose....

Lemme know what you guys think so far....

Sounds good man, real good, but I think you should try that one with the V30. The clips alone sound great, but in the mix it's a tiny bit murky. Try pumping the "crunch" guitar through the V30 and see what it does.

Thanks Greg,
After listening to it again today, I hear what you're talking about, it's kinda flubbing out on the low end a little....One thing that's causing that is there's no boost, the gain is all from the amp, not goosing it with the SD-1....I'll swap the speakers in a while & re-record those tracks...

So I re-amped the panned guitars with the V30...very different speaker compared to the Greenback, less highs, less lows, & a lot more mids....Exact same settings on the amp, & I put the mic as close as I could where it was on the GB...I'd probably have to dial the amp in a little better if I were going to use the V30, probably turn the mids way down IMO, but, the mid-hump in the V30 makes the guitars cut through the mix pretty good I think....Lemme know what you think....

Ibanez > interface >re-amp box > V30 (first clip) Greenback (second clip) >CO-1(mic pre-amp on about 2)

Tone rolled off on guitar
DSL-1:
0.1w mode
Red Channel
Mid: 5
Treble: 3
Gain: 2
Volume: 9

Solo'd V30 guitar:

Solo'd Greenback guitar:

Short V30 mix:

Short Greenback mix:

I put all the clips in this post so you guys won't have to go searching through the thread to find the GB tracks for comparison.....

While there's not a huge difference in the mix clips, there is a big difference in the solo'd guitar tracks, I guess all the other stuff in the mix is masking quite a bit, plus, this is a really quick-n-dirty mix too....(in other words, it's shitty....:laughings:)

Lemme know what you guys think.....

Back