The New Tone Thread

Here's some more of the SG/DSL, fucking around using the green crunch mode. I actually think this mode is more way more old school sounding than the red channel could ever be. It's about perfect for the kinda tone I was going for, I did have to change the eq quite a bit from what I usually have on the red channel (obviously), & dial the gain way back from what I normally would've used, but it turned out ok I think...

DSL:
100 w mode
Green Crunch
Mid-Shift: Off
Resonance: 0
Presence: 7
Bass: 4
Mid: 5
Treble: 7
Volume: 6
Gain: 5

SG>DSL>G12H>i5

I'd obviously need to play with the gain knob to get closer to the original tone, & probably turn the volume up even louder, but I'm wasn't trying to nail this tone at all, just get in the ballpark. I'm impressed with the DSL lately. I've "found" another tone with this amp that will be really useful in the future...

I think that's pretty awesome. It has hints of vintage cranked Marshall in it. The initial crunch is a little bright. Roll back the highs some and see how it goes.

Bubba - that is pretty awesome. I have to admit I liked the Crocodile Dundee version much better. The spoken word is easier to make out. I struggled to understand the more "serious" version. I think you have some spatial imbalance between the guitars and drums. The drums are kind of lo-fi-ish, while the guitars are tracked pristine and clean. Either tidy up the drums, or dirty up the guitars in the mix. Good surf feel and licks though.

JDOD - that is definitely an improvement. I'd cut some of the roominess on the drums. They sound very canned, and using a "room track" doesn't help if that's what you're doing. If you want space, use a separate reverb. The tones are pretty nice to me for the song....but you have a lot of boxy buildup once the leads start. I thought it was fine until the leads.
I'm using the Roomy Rock preset! I'm trying to get an In Utero sound with the drums but don't really know how to do it.

They're not re-recorded guitars. They're with the old rocket 50. Might do them again at some point.

Here's you a new stage move Greg :), go to about the 28-30 second mark if you don't wanna watch all of it:

Apparently this has raised a big 'ol stink about the band/singer, but I thought it was pretty damn funny myself...:laughings:

Lol. I've always thought that if you go on a stage prepare to be bounced. That's not fan territory. Unless you're invited up, fans stay in the crowd, talent goes on the stage. If you wanna be on the stage, get some talent. Stage diving is stupid anyway. Is it still 1990 or something? :laughings:.

I'm using the Roomy Rock preset! I'm trying to get an In Utero sound with the drums but don't really know how to do it.

Lol you can start with real drums, Dave Grohl, and that Vig guy.

For real though, anything called "roomy rock" should turn you away without even hearing it.

Did I give you some impulse reverb files?

I think that's pretty awesome. It has hints of vintage cranked Marshall in it. The initial crunch is a little bright. Roll back the highs some and see how it goes.

Thanks man, like I mentioned, I eq'd it different because the green channel is pretty flubby in the low-end, but as usual, I probably went over on the treble/presence...

I'm impressed with the DSL lately dude, honestly, I've never really tried different settings like I should've by now, but again, this shitty DSL is actually a really good amp IMO...

Jdude: I've mentioned using a separate reverb (s), the room sound from Toontrack sucks IMHO dude...You need to roll your sleeves up & learn how to do the multi-out thing, then route different kit pieces (kick, snare, toms, etc) to the reverb...First step is to turn the room fader all the way off....Just my opinion though....

Greg: That was me you sent the reverb IR's to, I still have 'em, & still use 'em....That girl should never have been on stage, so IMO, whatever happens, happens. I thought it was pretty funny myself though....:)

Lol you can start with real drums, Dave Grohl, and that Vig guy.

For real though, anything called "roomy rock" should turn you away without even hearing it.

Did I give you some impulse reverb files?
Yeah. I love the drum sound on In Utero. Sounds like he's hitting the fuck out of them.

I'll get miner to give me some preset drum advice.

You gave me some cab files, which are cool for working on shit, but not Reverb. I just use Reverb Generator is Reaverb.

Ok, here's take 2 of the same di, same exact thing, except I rolled the presence & treble off (probably too much....hahaha)...

DSL:
100 w mode
Green Crunch
Presence: 5
Treble: 2

SG>DSL>G12H>i5 Take 2

I think it might sound a little better with the treble around 3, maybe 4...I'm still impressed as shit with the DSL...

Ok, here's take 2 of the same di, same exact thing, except I rolled the presence & treble off (probably too much....hahaha)...

DSL:
100 w mode
Green Crunch
Presence: 5
Treble: 2

SG>DSL>G12H>i5 Take 2

I think it might sound a little better with the treble around 3, maybe 4...I'm still impressed as shit with the DSL...

Yeah just bump it up a hair more. Close though. Sounds good.

I'll get miner to give me some preset drum advice.

Best advice I can give you is to find a preset that sounds decent, tweak until happy, then save-as your own...I rarely ever use a preset that came with a plug-in without some tweaking, & usually never with drum vsti's dude...Again, you've gotta make your own for that, & you'll find what works for song "A" will need tweaking to sound good with song "B", even if you use the same guitar/bass sounds...It's all song dependent dude...

Oh okay. I have some reverbs, one or two in particular, that I think will nail that sound.

See if I can remember....."large chamber" IR for the long tail on the snare with quite a bit of "wooden drum room" for the rest???:)

Yeah just bump it up a hair more. Close though. Sounds good.

Thanks man, I always seem to get carried away with the high-end, I'm lop-sided for 2-3 tries...

Best advice I can give you is to find a preset that sounds decent, tweak until happy, then save-as your own...I rarely ever use a preset that came with a plug-in without some tweaking, & usually never with drum vsti's dude...Again, you've gotta make your own for that, & you'll find what works for song "A" will need tweaking to sound good with song "B", even if you use the same guitar/bass sounds...It's all song dependent dude...
Cheers, Miner. I'll have more of a play with it. The preset seemed like a good place to start. Although I did change a few bits on it.

Edit. Gonna have a really bad hangover in the office in the morning

Last edited:
Cheers, Miner. I'll have more of a play with it. The preset seemed like a good place to start. Although I did change a few bits on it.

Man, I feel your pain on the fake drums, but, you've gotta do what you gotta do in order to make 'em sound real. Treat 'em like a real kit, buss 'em out into their own tracks & send 'em to a couple 'verbs with your own panning/vol/etc...I can say most of these drum samples don't need a lot of post-processing & you can "overcook" 'em by using too much (eq/compression/etc)...

No I'm thinking "Big Boom Room" and "Metallic Snare".

Ok man, I've actually been using my convolution 'verbs the last little while & I'm pretty happy with 'em. But I do gotta admit there are a quite a few of those IR's that sound really good, especially on drums...

Man, I feel your pain on the fake drums, but, you've gotta do what you gotta do in order to make 'em sound real. Treat 'em like a real kit, buss 'em out into their own tracks & send 'em to a couple 'verbs with your own panning/vol/etc...I can say most of these drum samples don't need a lot of post-processing & you can "overcook" 'em by using too much (eq/compression/etc)...

Ok man, I've actually been using my convolution 'verbs the last little while & I'm pretty happy with 'em. But I do gotta admit there are a quite a few of those IR's that sound really good, especially on drums...
Miner, I'll pick your brains about how to bus them to different tracks on the weekend. At the moment I don't even know what that means!

Miner, I'll pick your brains about how to bus them to different tracks on the weekend. At the moment I don't even know what that means!

I covered how to do that in the video I posted in your EZD thread a couple of weeks ago, in case you're interested.

Greg, I'm going to send you a tune in about a week, after the other guys that mentioned it send you theirs. :D

I finished the tune with that "Eastern" guitar riff that originally sounded like Kashmir to some of you. For those of you that feel like venturing over to the Cinic, let me know what you think. I'd post it here, but I don't want to turn this great section into a mixing clinic. I already got tone help on that tune in here.

Back