Bruciviousness indeed.
I love the Brucelanderisms.
A touch of the Dave Warners passed through Billy Birmingham
He missed adding tabouli to the humus!
Stick work - Frank F Genius Jnr.
Canoe Reeves - 12 Canoes?
Well done PO factor & Mista Smiff.

thank you sir

man .... those tones of yours are very good .... all 4 of them .... and, despite your disclaimer, the playing is very nice.

wow ..... long sustain ..... what amp?

so they sound way different than the Duncans?
Thanks,
The amp is a fender mustang head going into a 2/12 cab. I actually like this set of pups better than the Duncan's because the bass response is tighter with the A4 magnets. The bridge pickups are close but the tonerider neck pickup sounds better to my ears than the duncan. I will say that either set is a fine set of humbuckers. I didn't want to dish out $200 on this upgrade so, after reading a lot of reviews, I rolled the dice on these toneriders. I'm really glad I did. One would be hard pressed to beat $100 for a brand new set of quality pups like these

I bought a clownburst LP copy a couple of weeks ago that is one fine guitar...with the exception of the pickups. They sucked.

I ordered a set of tonerider alcino 4 humbuckers. I'm used to the duncan 1959's on my Les Paul Studio. I played it for years so its really all I have to compare them to. That being said I LOVE these pups. I recorded these tracks with a Shure SM 57 close to the speaker. Playing through a fender mustang modeling amp. Its turned up kind of loud. These pickups are not real hot. I think 7.6 on the neck and 8.9 on the bridge. Im not crazy about the real hot pickups for my playing style though

Please excuse my sloppy playing....I'm getting kind of rusty from not playing much.

This is the clean sound
https://www.dropbox.com/s/4koycre89oyeev6/clean toneriders.wav?dl=0

A little ac/dc/style gain
https://www.dropbox.com/s/vjlh1zrrqvtfryx/more gain toneriders.wav?dl=0

Allman brothers style clean lead
https://www.dropbox.com/s/pfs0jf0c7lhm30j/clean lead tonerider.wav?dl=0

Higher gain rock lead
https://www.dropbox.com/s/8vcme5whlc56upu/higher gain lead.wav?dl=0

Blues tone
https://www.dropbox.com/s/31w0lideddhnv4a/blues lead lead tonerider-01.wav?dl=0

I like all of that. Those pickups seem to stay really articulate no matter the amp setting. That's a good thing to me.

Holy crap man. Burstbuckers, bound ebony fretboard, buy it now or I will.

:laughings: I may try to low ball him. I really don't need another guitar. But you gotta be careful; a buddy of mine (who's 20) bought a 335 (with a beautiful tiger striped maple top, cherry red) from the Boston craigslist about 2 months ago and had a hell of a time intonating it. It turns out the truss rod had been stripped (twice, apparently) and he's looking at around a $700 repair bill. He (more likely his father) wants to send it back to Gibson and have them do it. I think he's nuts to send it to Gibson, however. I'd trust a local luthier over the factory any day of the week.

:laughings: I may try to low ball him. I really don't need another guitar. But you gotta be careful; a buddy of mine (who's 20) bought a 335 (with a beautiful tiger striped maple top, cherry red) from the Boston craigslist about 2 months ago and had a hell of a time intonating it. It turns out the truss rod had been stripped (twice, apparently) and he's looking at around a $700 repair bill. He (more likely his father) wants to send it back to Gibson and have them do it. I think he's nuts to send it to Gibson, however. I'd trust a local luthier over the factory any day of the week.

Well go check it out. 650 for that guitar is insane. You could flip it for double if you want. That guy either doesn't know what he's got, or it's a fake.

had a hell of a time intonating it. It turns out the truss rod had been stripped

I have to say that I see this mentioned in guitar mags all the time and it drives me crazy ........ I must point out that truss rods have nothing to do with intonation.

They have to do with neck relief .... yes, it's true that if the strings are an inch off the fretboard you won't be able to get it intonated .... but that's the least of your worries.
A guitar like that is unplayable ..... if the cause of the super-high action is excessive neck relief then the truss rod is how you address that..

But in normal use the truss rod simply is not part of intonating a guitar.
That's all about adjusting the bridge saddles.

Last edited:
Well go check it out. 650 for that guitar is insane. You could flip it for double if you want. That guy either doesn't know what he's got, or it's a fake.

I'm thinking busted headstock. or some other repair. I won't know until I check it out. Some much good stuff popping up around here lately. I just saw a Crybaby 535Q for $75 and a Mackie 18" powered sub for $350 (I'm a sound guy as well). There's also a dealer nearby that has a Hagstrom Swede with a Bigsby and beautiful silver sparkle finish. So much shit to buy; so little money to buy it all. :laughings:

JimiStone: Good tones, I like the high-gain best in particular. Nothing wrong with your playin' either dude, those Zeppelin licks are great IMO...

Bill: Looks like a good deal to me, it's about 1/2 the price of a new one...

I have to say that I see this mentioned in guitar mags all the time and I must point out that truss rods have nothing to do with intonation.

They have to do with neck relief .... yes, it's true that if the strings are an inch off the fretboard you won't be able to get it intonated .... but that's the least of your worries.
In normal use the truss rod simply is not part of intonating a guitar.

All of this is true of course. He brought it for intonation issues and when they looked it over found further complications. And upon further inspection realized the rod had been stripped, repaired and then stripped again. He's heart broken, as you could imagine.

I've learned to stop messing with truss rods. I always make things worse. :laughings:

I never bother. One of my friends handles most of my set ups and another friend (that used to work for Guild when they were local) does most of my repair work. I'm probably going to buy that Stew Mac kit for setups and just start doing it myself. I have too many guitars to keep paying people to do this stuff. Who knows, maybe I can make a few bucks on the side doing setups. :thumbs up:

I have too many guitars to keep paying people to do this stuff. Who knows, maybe I can make a few bucks on the side doing setups. :thumbs up:
absolutely.

It's just a mechanical process ..... no different than setting the points on your old car.
basically anyone can do it .... a simple matter of taking measurements and adjusting.

But because it's a musical instrument people think it's mysterious and only those with the proper hoo-doo can do it.
As a piano tech I can tell you that we piano tuners get together and laugh about the things people think concerning their pianos.
So many myths and untruths ... it's the same with guitars.

I have set up all my instruments since I was 15 ..... I'm sure I wasn't that great at it but I did do it ..... I don't think I've ever paid someone to set up a guitar.
I actually spent about 4 hours last night dialing in that tele I built and a awesome partscaster I built 35 years ago .... I'm gonna gig 'em today just to make sure everything's hunky-dory.

I haven't used the strat in maybe 15 years and I'm a bit excited about taking it on stage again.
It took a bit 'o' time ..... had frozen adjustment screws in some of the saddles ...... I spent a lot of time simply getting them free ......
I ended up replacing a couple so the old ones could sit in Liquid Wrench for a few weeks.
It's an unusual bridge I bought back then that I doubt I can get parts for anymore but fortunately I always buy two of anything I really like so I took some off the other unused bridge.

Stew mac has some cool tools .... I have a catalog in the bathroom and there really are some cool ones.
The string height feeler gauges look pretty useful to me.

And there's a pretty nice neck-relief gauge that would be great for anyone uncertain about truss-rod adjustments.

TBH ..... I just eyeball it but I've been doing it a long time.

Here's some more of the SG/DSL, fucking around using the green crunch mode. I actually think this mode is more way more old school sounding than the red channel could ever be. It's about perfect for the kinda tone I was going for, I did have to change the eq quite a bit from what I usually have on the red channel (obviously), & dial the gain way back from what I normally would've used, but it turned out ok I think...

DSL:
100 w mode
Green Crunch
Mid-Shift: Off
Resonance: 0
Presence: 7
Bass: 4
Mid: 5
Treble: 7
Volume: 6
Gain: 5

SG>DSL>G12H>i5

I'd obviously need to play with the gain knob to get closer to the original tone, & probably turn the volume up even louder, but I'm wasn't trying to nail this tone at all, just get in the ballpark. I'm impressed with the DSL lately. I've "found" another tone with this amp that will be really useful in the future...

Bubba - that is pretty awesome. I have to admit I liked the Crocodile Dundee version much better. The spoken word is easier to make out. I struggled to understand the more "serious" version. I think you have some spatial imbalance between the guitars and drums. The drums are kind of lo-fi-ish, while the guitars are tracked pristine and clean. Either tidy up the drums, or dirty up the guitars in the mix. Good surf feel and licks though.

JDOD - that is definitely an improvement. I'd cut some of the roominess on the drums. They sound very canned, and using a "room track" doesn't help if that's what you're doing. If you want space, use a separate reverb. The tones are pretty nice to me for the song....but you have a lot of boxy buildup once the leads start. I thought it was fine until the leads.

Here's you a new stage move Greg :), go to about the 28-30 second mark if you don't wanna watch all of it:

Apparently this has raised a big 'ol stink about the band/singer, but I thought it was pretty damn funny myself...:laughings:

Back