The New Tone Thread

Wow, who knew there was actually such a place as Floyd's Knobs? Never heard of it. Had to look it up. I just assumed it was some sort of sarcastic reference. Anyway, why didn't you just say northwest Louisville? :D

LOL I can only assume that you HAVE heard about it and live nearby. Yes they call us the Floyd's Snobs up here. Not sure why though haha

Nope, I was serious. I'm up and to your left. How far up and how far to your left depends on what day it is. Indy and Terre Haute. 65 up to Indy, then 70 west to the state line.

Hey, Lt. Bob, is your Ross an MIA? I know where there's a guy selling two of them, one MIA, one MIT. He says in his opinion the MIT is just as good.They are what I imagine are good prices, I just don't really have much use for a flanger. I'd rather have a stereo flanger if anything. But if it has that 'manual' feature, that might be worth it.

[/QUOTEmine looks like the bottom one without the box around it and it's made in Chanuck. Does that tell you what you need to know?

mine looks like the bottom one without the box around it and it's made in Chanuck.

I think that you mean Chanute KS. I have 2 Ross flangers. One is an MIA [red] and the other is an MIT[black]. As far as I know the MIA flangers have a red case, and the MIT flangers have a black case. Since both flangers in the picture are red they should both be MIA.

Wow, I didn't know that Ross pedals were made in Chanute. That's a couple hours away from me, down in the middle of nowhere in southeastern Kansas. I pass it every time I head back to my home town to see my family.

Since both flangers in the picture are red they should both be MIA.

I'm just reporting what he said. Anyway, anybody jonesing for one (or another one)? The price is right ($120 and 100 respectively) but every penny I've got to spend on anything like that is spoken for going back for months. The only reason I would be the least bit interested myself is that 'manual' sweep. I always kicked myself for not getting an Electric Mistress back in the day just for that feature. I thought that was the neatest thing in the world, and would actually serve a purpose. Aside from being a major purchase for me at the time, those things were just so damn noisey.

Wow, I didn't know that Ross pedals were made in Chanute. That's a couple hours away from me, down in the middle of nowhere in southeastern Kansas. I pass it every time I head back to my home town to see my family.

I know how you feel. Wampler pedals are about an hour away from me in nowhere Indiana.

I know how you feel. Wampler pedals are about an hour away from me in nowhere Indiana.
Martinsville is not nowhere...just ask the cops there. I've been pulled over so many times going through there that I know two of the cops by name. Seems they get confused when you're driving a rental with out of state plates through there.

Martinsville is not nowhere...just ask the cops there. I've been pulled over so many times going through there that I know two of the cops by name. Seems they get confused when you're driving a rental with out of state plates through there.

You ain't from around here, are ya son?

If you've got Texas plates, they were probably profiling you as a drug runner driving your route between Indy and Bloomington.

And technically you're right. Terre Haute is officially Nowhere, USA. Martinsville is 'the middle of nowhere, IN'.

Just re-tracked one of my older songs in prep for a mate of mine to stick live drums on. I'm re-tracking a lot of stuff at the moment.

This was originally recorded with a really hi-gain sim. I've now used as little gain as I think I can get away with and recorded it with my new guitar thought the Blackstar. No cocking about in the DAWView attachment Smashing2.mp3

And, while I'm at it, I actually had my first every proper guitar lesson a couple of days ago (oddly, off the rhythm guitarist from the band I've been playing in - the only time I've met him outside of a rehersal or a gig). He taught me how to actually apply all this modal shit I was learning and what it all means.

View attachment Modal Misery.mp3

All lead adlibbed.

And, while I'm at it, I actually had my first every proper guitar lesson a couple of days ago (oddly, off the rhythm guitarist from the band I've been playing in - the only time I've met him outside of a rehersal or a gig). He taught me how to actually apply all this modal shit I was learning and what it all means.

View attachment 95169

All lead adlibbed.
liking it ..... for me ( let me repeat that FOR ME! ..... not saying anyone else should feel this way ) but for me the single biggest thing I look for in musicians is the ability to improvise. So I always love to see poeple do that and work at that.

Improvise doesn't have to mean leads BTW ..... it can be the ability to play rhythm behind songs you don't know or simply make something up on the spot.
For ME if you can't do that you're more of a technician than a musician ... which is it's own legitimate skill and I personally am not much of a technician so it's a different strokes for different folks sorta thing.
I'm being careful about this because I want to make sure it's clear I'm not critisizing anyone or any form of the art of music.
just what's important to me.

So after this long disclaimer ...... I'm liking your adlibbing .... I also like the tones you're using.
The playing is nice with a good ear for playing coherent lines ....... I'll be very interested in where you go with this ...... do it more and more and more until people strain to hear what you'll come up with next!

Just re-tracked one of my older songs in prep for a mate of mine to stick live drums on. I'm re-tracking a lot of stuff at the moment.

This was originally recorded with a really hi-gain sim. I've now used as little gain as I think I can get away with and recorded it with my new guitar thought the Blackstar. No cocking about in the DAWView attachment 95168
I like the break at around 1:30 in this track, it sounds like there are a few different guitar tracks going on but, to my ears (and preferences), sounds good.

This was originally recorded with a really hi-gain sim. I've now used as little gain as I think I can get away with and recorded it with my new guitar thought the Blackstar. No cocking about in the DAWView attachment 95168
sounds good to me man ...... it's amazing how much gain it sounds like on a recording when you've really lowered the amount a lot huh?
So much more note definition that way ......... sounds good to me and not dark either BTW.

liking it ..... for me ( let me repeat that FOR ME! ..... not saying anyone else should feel this way ) but for me the single biggest thing I look for in musicians is the ability to improvise. So I always love to see poeple do that and work at that.

Improvise doesn't have to mean leads BTW ..... it can be the ability to play rhythm behind songs you don't know or simply make something up on the spot.
For ME if you can't do that you're more of a technician than a musician ... which is it's own legitimate skill and I personally am not much of a technician so it's a different strokes for different folks sorta thing.
I'm being careful about this because I want to make sure it's clear I'm not critisizing anyone or any form of the art of music.
just what's important to me.

So after this long disclaimer ...... I'm liking your adlibbing .... I also like the tones you're using.
The playing is nice with a good ear for playing coherent lines ....... I'll be very interested in where you go with this ...... do it more and more and more until people strain to hear what you'll come up with next!
Yeah, nearly all of my lead is at least partly adlibbed, but that was a first take job thay came our really easily. I was pissed off my backing ended

I like the break at around 1:30 in this track, it sounds like there are a few different guitar tracks going on but, to my ears (and preferences), sounds good.

There's usually at least 3 guitars on that track, frequently 4. Don't think there's ever 5! I'm just pleased it works with so little distortion

sounds good to me man ...... it's amazing how much gain it sounds like on a recording when you've really lowered the amount a lot huh?
So much more note definition that way ......... sounds good to me and not dark either BTW.
Like they say Bob, less is normally more when it comes to gain!

I've also rolled the ISF fully onto US voicing and turned the treble on the amp right up. Working on the tone purely by listening through a pair of noise-cancelling headphones to get as much of what the mic was picking up with as little of what I'd hear in the room as possible.

Last edited:
JDOD: Cool stuff man, & lowering the gain makes a huge difference, it just gives it so much more clarity. Again, cool stuff dude....

Bob: I'm in agreement with ya dude on the improvising thing, although I don't quite fit in to that side as much as I used to. Back in the day I thought I was pretty decent at improvising, as most of the time what I'd play was on the spot (I used to sit in with a lot of bands back then...)...Nowdays, I suppose I fit into the technician category as most of my stuff is improvised at first, but I always go back & try to get it "right", if that makes any sense (rhythm guitars usually are about 90% the same as I came up with to begin with, but the leads I'll work out a part at a time until I've got it down, then go back & re-track the whole thing, after "learning" whatever it is I'm working on)....That said, again, I suppose I fit into the technician category...:).

And I sprung for the new Amplitube 4 sim.....I know, I know, it's software....But I have to admit this sim sounds pretty fuckin' good to me, much better than the older Amplitube 3. They've updated the cab section, so there are 29 different speaker choices (lots of Celestions, plus some Jensen & others)...The new cab section has it's own mixer with faders for each mic, plus the room mics, & a master fader for 'em all (if you're not careful, you'll have clipping that's beyond nasty, but the mixer/faders really help, & there's more control over the blend of the mics...)...Another thing they've added is an insert (fx loop) between the amp & cab, so the effects actually sound like they're in an fx loop instead of added after the cab...

The big upgrade (to me) are the new british amps (Red Pig = Marshall Major, Brit 8000 = JCM800, Brit 9000 = JCM900, Brit Silver = Jubilee, Brit Vale Pre = JMD1 pre-amp)...While the JCM900 & JMD1 aren't really my cup of tea (they don't sound all that great to me), the other 3 amp models sound pretty realistic (to me anyway), with the Jubilee being the best, followed by the Major, then the JCM800 sim...

So, all in all, it's a pretty decent upgrade, but there are a few things I'd done differently (like adding a vst loader like ReValver where you can use any vst in AT4's chain), more than 2 mics with the ability to put any mic on any speaker (currently there are 2 close mics, but they're on different speakers...), but that's just me...

Overall, I'm impressed with it's sounds, & all the different speakers/mic choices do make a big difference in it's sound. I've actually gotten pretty close to some of the clips I made with my DSL100 & Ceriatone amps, although they're not there 100%, they are very useable, to me anyway.....YMMV...

Like I've said before, it's not gonna replace my amp, cab, & mics, but it is a pretty good alternative, & the ability to record/play silently is a big plus too....

Back