The New Tone Thread

Sounds good Gerg, but I am listening through cheap-ass earbuds right now, & everything is bass-heavy (including the tone I'm posting, on my other 'phones/monitors my tone doesn't sound this way, so I know your Ace tone won't either...)...

Signal chain:
LP > interface > AT3 > Recabinet 4 (with some 'verb added in the daw)

I know it's not a real amp, but I am impressed with this, IMO it could be used in a mix pretty easily, lemme know what you guys think....

Once Bitten

Hahaha, you really nailed the Great White tone there. I had that CD in high school :) Oh, the snare reverb of the late '80s and early '90s. Makes me want to bust out the curling iron and the spandex pants. That guitar tone is pretty damn solid though, just the right amount of breakup. And that's a sim? No freaking way. That's damn convincing for a sim. I woulda put money that it was an actual cabinet. Usually the weakest point of any modeling software is the just-at-breakup kind of crunch. But this is actually really damn good. Now I need to go sit in a dark room and rethink my opinion of sim software. Damnit.

Oh, and glad to hear that you're still in one piece. Take it slow and easy. No sudden moves now, OK? :)

Man you get a great low end. I still haven't posted any of my JCM 2203 tones because as much as I love it in the room, I just haven't spent enough time and experimentation to get an acceptable mic position that translates to "tape". Distortion sounds amazing...was that the hi or lo input? You know you've got a good tone when even a phaser doesn't destroy it :)

Thanks. That's a pretty bassy speaker, so that helps with the low end. It's so loud, proximity effect definitely kicks in too. That's the high input. I never use the low input. Gain was up pretty high, maybe around 7-8.

Thanks. That's a pretty bassy speaker, so that helps with the low end. It's so loud, proximity effect definitely kicks in too. That's the high input. I never use the low input. Gain was up pretty high, maybe around 7-8.

No shit, that's the hi input with a lot of preamp gain? Man, if I put my 2203's preamp gain over 2 or 3 on the hi input, it's like fucking armageddon. It's like something that a speed metal guitarist would use.

Oh, and on the subject of tone: I got a Fulltone OCD a couple of weeks ago, and in my time between family issues and playing Fallout 4, I've only spent maybe 3 or 4 hours with it. But holy shit, what an amazing overdrive pedal. I bumped my TS9 off my pedalboard to make room for it, and now I'm not sure if it'll ever go back on. The OCD does an incredible job of providing a substitute for preamp gain. It just pushes the front end really well, and doesn't have the mid-hump or low-end rolloff of the TS9. Through that Marshall it's pretty amazing. And I've almost honed in on a fuzz tone I like with my JHS Firefly Fuzz. I'm still acclimating to the BurstBucker Pro pickups in my LP too. Too many new toys, too many variables...it's just taking some time to settle on what I like.

I'm currently working on a song that doesn't involve the Marshall, but I'll get serious about it soon and try my best to mic those 10" speakers for something that translates through a mic.

Hey minerman. another supporter glad to see you back here and doing better. Once you're all healed up, are you able to get a job at an open pit mine or quarry? I've seen some big ones in Utah from the air.
Thanks Chili, probably have to re-locate to keep working in the mining industry, as it's literally dried up & blown away here. There's a chance I might not have to go back to work before all this is said & done, just playing the waiting game for now to see...Thanks again dude....

I have a little bit. I need a map for all the switches and two gain knobs. I don't know what he's done with it.

That amp looks complicated, but it's not. Just think of it as a normal jmp/slp with the 2 gain knobs dude, use the gain knob on the far right as your overall gain, & the other just adds more saturation as you turn it up. I usually just kept the 2nd knob about 2-3 (where it didn't cut the sound if it was set too low), & used the other knob about like any other amp. The switches just add gain & high/high-mids at different frequencies depending on which one you're messing with. Like anything else, it just takes a little time to figure out what does what dude. I'm sure he's getting some ripping tones out of that thing by now, he's had it over a month now...

No shit, that's the hi input with a lot of preamp gain? Man, if I put my 2203's preamp gain over 2 or 3 on the hi input, it's like fucking armageddon. It's like something that a speed metal guitarist would use.

That's really odd. Is yours a 2203? I thought it was a 2204. In any case, it should not have that much gain. These are not high gain amps. They'll get naughty, but "rock and roll tone" is about as far as they go. Both my 2203 and 2204 need a boost/OD to go into metal kind of territory. The 2204 seems to have a little more gain, but being a 50w it's more compressed and fatter which adds to the super thickness. The 2203 is a lot tighter with more headroom. Angry AC/DC is pretty much their max gain capability.

I'm sure he's getting some ripping tones out of that thing by now, he's had it over a month now...

Lol. I doubt he's even flipped it on since the day he got it and I messed with it. He's not a tinkerer like we are. He's a set it and forget it kind of guy. Since he hasn't figured it out yet he's still using his Diamond gain beast for our gigs. As soon as this string of gigs is done I'm sure he'll start fiddling with it.

Tadpui: Thanks man, but yeah, the guitar tone on that is Amplitube 3 & Recabinet 4, all software. All I did was add some reverb on a send, there's no "studio trickery" or anything, just messed with it until I though it sounded pretty close...It is pretty impressive (to me anyway), but I'm not getting rid of my Marshall & 4x12 just yet.....

Greg: Letting that thing just sit there would drive me fuckin' nuts man!!! lol....I bet when he does dive into it, he'll like it a lot...I know I miss it, but life goes on man, I'll get another one eventually, maybe even a lot sooner than I first thought...

Thanks for the concern man, honestly, it's been pretty fuckin' rough for me dude. I had the "big" heart attack the 28th of October, & was immediately sent to CCU (cardiac care unit) for 3 days. .
heavy duty shit there man ..... glad to see you back and I hope everything continues to get better for ya.
Your sim sounds pretty damned good!

Hahaha, you really nailed the Great White tone there. I had that CD in high school :)

Haha, more like he nailed the tone of the original authors and perfomers of the tune.
Mott the Hoople.

I hate that band btw, (great white) for no other reason than their use of other artists great songs and letting people think they are their own.

Two come to mind;

Once bitten........Mott the Hoople
I don't want to face the day.....The Angels

Rant over. :D

I had no idea anyone other than Mott the Hoople and/or Ian Hunter did this song.

Great white was on the scene for an hour or so but only on the strengths of covering those 2 songs, which were hits before great white was even conceived.
:D

That's really odd. Is yours a 2203? I thought it was a 2204. In any case, it should not have that much gain. These are not high gain amps. They'll get naughty, but "rock and roll tone" is about as far as they go. Both my 2203 and 2204 need a boost/OD to go into metal kind of territory. The 2204 seems to have a little more gain, but being a 50w it's more compressed and fatter which adds to the super thickness. The 2203 is a lot tighter with more headroom. Angry AC/DC is pretty much their max gain capability.

Yeah, there's something fishy about my amp's hi input. It's never quite behaved right. If I crank everything on the lo input, it stops at about "mild rock", maybe a little beyond depending on the guitar/pickups that I use. If I want to use the hi input, I have to dial the master back to 5 or 6, the preamp gain back to 2 or 3 just to get it to about the same volume as the lo input cranked up. Beyond that, it sounds like it wants to self-destruct. Then there's that weird hi input preamp tube resonance thing happening...something isn't right even after the tech looked at it.

Haha, more like he nailed the tone of the original authors and perfomers of the tune.
Mott the Hoople.

I hate that band btw, (great white) for no other reason than their use of other artists great songs and letting people think they are their own.

Two come to mind;

Once bitten........Mott the Hoople
I don't want to face the day.....The Angels

Rant over. :D

LOL yeah, I'm not a fan either. Their 15 minutes just happened to coincide with my coming-of-age MTV years. So "Once Bitten" was a Great White song to me. Their guitarist was actually pretty good, and considering their contemporaries, had some relatively good tone. Although I might rethink that statement if I were to revisit the actual recordings. I'm just going by fuzzy nostalgia of their groupie-filled videos and their appeal to a 14 year old at the time.

Come to think of it, I didn't even have their breakout hit CD. It was the one after that. They called it Heartbreaker. They totally coined that name, nobody before had ever called a song or album Heartbreaker...

:D

Are all of the guitars on this the new Tele Beast?

The cleans could use just a little sparkle to them since they carry the first part. Meaning more treble, and maybe a little ambiance effect like a touch of reverb and/or delay. I think that the overdriven part sounds pretty damn good, nice crushing tone there. Sounds tight where it needs to be, loose where it needs to be.
I think that's the older mahogany fender tell. I'm gonna be re recording a couple of tracks later today though with a slightly brighter tone and the new guitar.

Loads of new tones overnight.

Miner, what platform are you using amplitude on? I tried it on the iPad and found it to be completely rubbish. You're getting some decent results.

"not only are they centered all over the map .... the 'width' of the mids affected can vary a lot ..... one of my amps the mid effects everything!"
NOT! The Blackstar control, it really does only operate on the middle frequencies*. What is NOT generally appreciated however is that the mid control and the ISF are very interactive so together you have a sort of "sweepable" mid control.

Also, the so called "presence" control on a lot of amps is in reality just a top chop in the output feedback path but the fact that its influence goes past 12kHz is not noticed because guitar speakers have long since shut up by then.
The Artisan 100 has such a presence control. Fender, Vox, Marshall can all lay claim.....

*Could! Give you all the turnover frequencies but then I would have to shoot you all!

Dave.

Yeah, there's something fishy about my amp's hi input. It's never quite behaved right. If I crank everything on the lo input, it stops at about "mild rock", maybe a little beyond depending on the guitar/pickups that I use. If I want to use the hi input, I have to dial the master back to 5 or 6, the preamp gain back to 2 or 3 just to get it to about the same volume as the lo input cranked up. Beyond that, it sounds like it wants to self-destruct. Then there's that weird hi input preamp tube resonance thing happening...something isn't right even after the tech looked at it.

The high input is naturally much hotter and louder than the low input. That much about yours is normal. It's not shred metal gain though. With the master on 5 or 6 and the gain at 2 or 3, you should be getting a very loud punchy crunchy clean breakup sound....again, like early AC/DC. Similar to Malcolm Young type tone.

"not only are they centered all over the map .... the 'width' of the mids affected can vary a lot ..... one of my amps the mid effects everything!"
NOT! .
bullshit ..... don't come in here telling me something i said about one of MY amps isn't true!
You don't even know what amp I'm talking about.

bullshit ..... don't come in here telling me something i said about one of MY amps isn't true!
You don't even know what amp I'm talking about.

Yes Bob! The Duncan amps tonestack curves are well known to me! I was referring ONLY to the Blackstar HT tone controls.
I have run oscillator response checks on them many, many times.

Dave.

oh ..... ok.

Well, personally I like Blackstar amps .... I kinda wish I had bought that Blackstar Club 40 instead of my Mark V and saved $1200.

Back