The New Tone Thread

heavy duty shit there man ..... glad to see you back and I hope everything continues to get better for ya.
Your sim sounds pretty damned good!
Thanks Bob....it really makes you stop & think about things when something like this happens, pretty much a life-changing experience for me...

On the sim thing, again, I'm impressed with it. It's the cab sim (Recabinet 4) that's made the difference though because I've tried everything else for years, never getting any results like this...Thanks again man...

Miner, what platform are you using amplitude on? I tried it on the iPad and found it to be completely rubbish. You're getting some decent results.
I'm using Amplitube 3 on my pc dude. Just the free version, & one of their old Marshall sims, nothing special at all. The big thing to me is the cab sim I'm using. I have the cabs bypassed in AT3, & I'm using Recabinet 4. To me, it's the best cab sim I've ever tried...

On the Great White thing, I first started listening to 'em in high school, the album "Great White" that had "Rock Me" on it. I don't know if there are any covers on that album or not, but it's got some great guitar work on it (to me anyway). Their guitar player, Mark Kendall, played very blues-based stuff, which hit home for me at the time because that's what I'd gotten into, instead of the neo-shred-classical shit everyone else was into (I mean sure, I liked some of that shit, but never did get into playing it very much)...Their next album (which was called "Once Bitten" is the one that gave them commercial success because of the cover song. I always knew Mott the Hoople did that song, but just always liked the Great White version better simply because it was more modern sounding, & I was a long-haired headbangin' teenager at the time...:).

Alright guys. Working on a new song. I recently realized that my last payment on my Marshall amp is this month and I really haven't done much recording with it so I want to push out a song before the end of the month.

Attached is the first 10-15 seconds of the song. Here are my settings:
Marshall DSL40C
Channel: Ultra Gain
Gain: 3
Treble: 2
Middle: 4.5
Bass: 0
Presence: 0
Resonance:0

SM57 midway between cone and edge against grill

Les Paul:
One side : Treble
Other side: Middle position

***This amp seems to be really high in treble so I kicked them down but Maybe too much?***

Let me know how it sounds to you all. Thanks

Is Great White the band that burned down that club a few years ago?
Yeah man, that was "The Station" in Rhode Island IIRC....terrible shit there, I've watched actual footage from that night, & terrible is putting it lightly....I don't know how exactly how many people died, but it was just fuckin' terrible. The band lost a guitar player that night too, not the original Mark Kendall, can't remember his name right off....

There was a big, drawn out lawsuit over that, & of course $$$ settled most of it, but a couple/few people did go to jail over it (which in my mind they should've)...Dunno if the right people went to jail or not IMO...

I still like quite a bit of their music, but the fire was a terrible, senseless accident that never should've happened. They set off some pyro, which in turn, set some cheap acoustic panels on fire (which were obviously not fireproof), & it just engulfed the place in a matter of minutes...If they'd just not used the pyro (which looked like big sparklers to me) that shit never would've happened...

Sounds pretty good Bruth, although I'm listening on cheap earbuds right now I can still hear the attack of the pick....On the brightness, I'm sure your DSL40 is the same as my 100w head, very bright. I usually keep the treble & presence really low, especially on the red channel. A darker mic placement helps with this too (not sayin' your tone here is too bright, just sayin')...

Got a question since these amps are really similar: Does your mid knob seem to add high end the more it's turned up??? My amp seems to do this, so I was just curious to see what your thoughts are on this....

Wow, who knew there was actually such a place as Floyd's Knobs? Never heard of it. Had to look it up. I just assumed it was some sort of sarcastic reference. Anyway, why didn't you just say northwest Louisville? :D

miner, just like you were a teenager headbanging to Great White, I was a teenager rockin' out to Mott the Hoople. The original version was the best, btw;)

Yeah man, that was "The Station" in Rhode Island IIRC....terrible shit there, I've watched actual footage from that night
Yeah, I saw the video, too. I just always get it mixed up with the footage of Dime Bag getting shot.

miner, just like you were a teenager headbanging to Great White, I was a teenager rockin' out to Mott the Hoople. The original version was the best, btw;)

Was it really Mott the Hoople, or just Ian Hunter solo? I guess I can Google it, but I'm lazy.

Yeah dude, just different opinions, different generations man....FWIW, I like a lot of the classic rock stuff dude, it's what I grew up listening to, but the 80's cock-rock just has a special place in my heart for me, simply because that was "my" time, just like those years for you was "your" time.....It's all good dude...:thumbs up:.

Has anyone tried Amplitube 4 yet??? I dunno how much of an upgrade the cab section got as far as sounds, but I give 'em an A+ for the graphics & different choices for the speakers, mics & such. From what I've read about it, there's all kinds of different speakers to choose from, V30's, Greenbacks, T-75's, plus some Eminence & other stuff...Of course, it's not gonna replace my setup I've spent quite a bit of coin on (like the speakers & mics I've bought), but makes me really curious to see if AT4 sounds any better than AT3....

Here's a vid comparing a real Marshall Jubilee & AT4's version....To me, it sounds pretty close. He says he hasn't done much to the software sim, & I honestly don't know if that's true, but the 2 guitar tones in this vid are pretty close IMO....

Hey, Lt. Bob, is your Ross an MIA? I know where there's a guy selling two of them, one MIA, one MIT. He says in his opinion the MIT is just as good.They are what I imagine are good prices, I just don't really have much use for a flanger. I'd rather have a stereo flanger if anything. But if it has that 'manual' feature, that might be worth it.

Ross flanger.jpg

Last edited:
Once Bitten, Twice Shy was from Hunter's 1st, & eponymous, solo effort. Mick Ronson plated all over the LP as well as arranging & co producing it. Sounded like classic Mott slightly less muddy and with slightly better songs. Hunter must've been saving up.
I love the album & that song is great.
I'm a big Mott fan as well.

Lol. He works for Blackstar, so he thinks we all use Blackstar. :laughings:

There WAS a sideways picture of an HT (40?) and I THOUGHT the mid control comment ONLY applied to that! I agree, the tone stacks on most other amps are interactive ***t....But peeps like 'em!

If I got it wrong, please excuse. 70 now, on meds, knackered, eyes shot, two more teeth gotta go...deaf

Dave.

There WAS a sideways picture of an HT (40?) and I THOUGHT the mid control comment ONLY applied to that! I agree, the tone stacks on most other amps are interactive ***t....But peeps like 'em!

If I got it wrong, please excuse. 70 now, on meds, knackered, eyes shot, two more teeth gotta go...deaf

Dave.

It's cool man. Read the posts. We WERE talking about varieties of amps. :D

Dave.
It was my Studio 20, Dave. If you know plenty about blackstar it would be cool to know what frequencies are covered by the bass , mid and treble

It was my Studio 20, Dave. If you know plenty about blackstar it would be cool to know what frequencies are covered by the bass , mid and treble

Sorry JDOD, not in my gift to tell you* but there is lots of audio test software you could run that would tell you. Does not really matter since the choice of centre frequencies is "one man's meat" as has been said, it is how it all sounds that really matters and drive a different speaker and you could probably make a case for a selection of turnover f's!

Thanks Greg. I don't follow ALL of the thread because 99% of it means little to me and I am too deaf to tell much else from suchas. But when I see BLACKSTAR I have to chip in don't I !

*I was once charged with changing the time constants in a pedal so that when sent to a 3rd party they could not simply clone it. These are not "secret processes" but they ARE the result of a lot of time and therefore money testing, changing, playing, testing, tea, fags, cussing and soldering. Why make things any easier for Bstd Bellringers?

Dave.

Sounds pretty good Bruth, although I'm listening on cheap earbuds right now I can still hear the attack of the pick....On the brightness, I'm sure your DSL40 is the same as my 100w head, very bright. I usually keep the treble & presence really low, especially on the red channel. A darker mic placement helps with this too (not sayin' your tone here is too bright, just sayin')...

Got a question since these amps are really similar: Does your mid knob seem to add high end the more it's turned up??? My amp seems to do this, so I was just curious to see what your thoughts are on this....

Yeah I recorded my last song with the mic closer to the edge of the cone and I thought it sounded pretty good at the time. But now looking back it doesn't seem to have as much definition and clarity as this latest one I am working on due to the mid-highs. And yes I noticed that too about the mid knob introducing a little more of the high frequencies. I figured it may be in part because the celestion just has not been really broke in yet as I am sure the tone will change some as it gets older.

Back