The New Tone Thread

Ok, I get that, you got an idea if you can do a bunch of different presets with a midi controller??? I've read about it, but not sure exactly how it'd work. If so, most midi controllers have like 128 banks/presets, so if that's possible, it'd be just un-real....I'm not sayin' I'd want 128 presets, but it'd be pretty much as many as one would ever want...
Yeah dude, with a MIDI controller is it something crazy like that. 128 user-made presets. In reality, that's like 126 more than I'd ever need. I can barely wrap my head around using the 6 button footswitch.

Yeah dude, your clips always sound good, & a lot of 'em are even similar, but I'm starting to be able to tell the slight differences in your amps, speakers, & mics....I've actually downloaded a lot of your clips just for reference dude...:).
Ha, thanks. I hear the differences between all of my stuff. I know if I use a certain guitar with a certain amp through certain speakers I'll get a certain result. My mood dictates what combination of stuff I use for that particular day. I notice it, but no one else does. The drummer in the band I guitar with even told me recently while I was using his Jubilee, he said, "Greg, I don't know how you do it. You always use different stuff but you always have the same kind of sound". Lol. I don't know if that's a compliment or a criticism. :laughings:

I can make anything sound like shit! :D

Yeah dude, with a MIDI controller is it something crazy like that. 128 user-made presets. In reality, that's like 126 more than I'd ever need. I can barely wrap my head around using the 6 button footswitch.

Well, since you seem to know more about the JVM than anyone I've asked (including the "experts" at the Marshall forum...lol), say you save preset "1", everything on 5, then tweak the tone stack to 10, will it save the tone stack tweak on preset "2"??? If so, that would be absolutely killer, with never-ending possibilities....Lemme know if that's how that shit works or not dude...

Ha, thanks. I hear the differences between all of my stuff. I know if I use a certain guitar with a certain amp through certain speakers I'll get a certain result. My mood dictates what combination of stuff I use for that particular day. I notice it, but no one else does. The drummer in the band I guitar with even told me recently while I was using his Jubilee, he said, "Greg, I don't know how you do it. You always use different stuff but you always have the same kind of sound". Lol. I don't know if that's a compliment or a criticism. :laughings:

I can make anything sound like shit! :D
I think everybody's like that to a point man, I can hear the little variations in my sounds that most nobody can hear, but in other people's stuff, I really can't...I will say my hearing is going south too man, I've noticed a big change in the last year or so, along with my eyesight...

Personally, I like the way you make yourself sound man, it's raw, with attitude man, what rock-n-roll should be IMO...

Lemme know about that midi shit/JVM dude...

Well, since you seem to know more about the JVM than anyone I've asked (including the "experts" at the Marshall forum...lol), say you save preset "1", everything on 5, then tweak the tone stack to 10, will it save the tone stack tweak on preset "2"??? If so, that would be absolutely killer, with never-ending possibilities....Lemme know if that's how that shit works or not dude...
I really don't know man. I've never tried it like that. I think with MIDI it will recall your settings regardless of where the knobs are set. But don't quote me on that.

I think everybody's like that to a point man, I can hear the little variations in my sounds that most nobody can hear, but in other people's stuff, I really can't...I will say my hearing is going south too man, I've noticed a big change in the last year or so, along with my eyesight...

Personally, I like the way you make yourself sound man, it's raw, with attitude man, what rock-n-roll should be IMO...

Lemme know about that midi shit/JVM dude...
Cool, thanks a lot. That's what I go for. Just raw rock and roll. No frills. I always use AC/DC as my benchmark. To me they consistently have perfect rock and roll tones. So I usually go for an AC/DC-ish type sound, and then jack it up a little more. :)

I get a lot of nice tone compliments after gigs. It's cool. No one says I play good, they just say it sounds awesome. :D

I really don't know man. I've never tried it like that. I think with MIDI it will recall your settings regardless of where the knobs are set. But don't quote me on that.
That would be awesome if it's possibe....for example, dial in an AC-DC type crunch thing for rhythm, then for a lead, basically the same thing with maybe the channel volume & the mids boosted enough to make it stick through a little better...Again, if this is possible, that'd be just awesome....

Cool, thanks a lot. That's what I go for. Just raw rock and roll. No frills. I always use AC/DC as my benchmark. To me they consistently have perfect rock and roll tones. So I usually go for an AC/DC-ish type sound, and then jack it up a little more. :)

I get a lot of nice tone compliments after gigs. It's cool. No one says I play good, they just say it sounds awesome. :D

Back in my gigging days, I tried to use sounds like that as my baseline/starting point, or what I though they were then anyway...lol...I mean, for Skynyrd & "boom-chicka" country, you really don't need much...hahaha...We did play some pretty good stuff that was fun though, .38 Special, KISS, just classic rock stuff....plus the "boom-chicka" 3-chord country bullshit.....:laughings:.But, I wanted to play live so bad, I did it, & we actually sounded pretty good...I had a lot of compliments back in the day...makes you feel good don't it????:)

That would be awesome if it's possibe....for example, dial in an AC-DC type crunch thing for rhythm, then for a lead, basically the same thing with maybe the channel volume & the mids boosted enough to make it stick through a little better...Again, if this is possible, that'd be just awesome....
Well you could do that with just the footswitch and the second master volume. It's a 4 channel amp. You can set the 4 channels how you want them and then just tap dance from one to the other. Kick in the second volume at any time for a solo boost. Or you could use two of the foot switch buttons for the same channel, but the EQ would have to stay the same. This is why some JVM people mod OD2 to be the same as OD1. If you want different presets with different EQs on the same channel I think you'd need to go the MIDI route.

I think it's interesting that you use AC/DC as your benchmark sound. I would've thought it would be the Ramones.
They're not that different. They used the same amps mostly. One guy plays rock licks with humbuckers, the other blazes barre chords with single coils. I kind of combine the two. I blaze barre chords with humbuckers through their kind of amps and throw in a few bad leads for kicks.

I might go full stupid and buy this....

111292887_lg.jpg

900 bucks. Really clean. Perfect condition. Totally dumb and unnecessary.

It has passive EMGs in it though. I hate active EMGs, so having passives is a good thing, but I didn't get to try it plugged in so I don't know how they act. I need to give it a spin through my kind of amp. If I have to swap pickups, it's not really worth it. Hell, it's not worth it at all because I need an Explorer like I need dick cancer. Explorers have never been on my radar. But for some reason this thing resonated with me in person.

Further to the Randy Rhodes comment:

I've always thought it was rather ironic that he's some sort of idol to all the shread guitarists; much of the time RR actually played in a rather melodic bluesy style which usually wasn't even crazy fast - a lot of it is really listenable; his lead work in Mr Crowley is excellent.

Further to the Randy Rhodes comment:

I've always thought it was rather ironic that he's some sort of idol to all the shread guitarists; much of the time RR actually played in a rather melodic bluesy style which usually wasn't even crazy fast - a lot of it is really listenable; his lead work in Mr Crowley is excellent.

It's because he died. That's all. He played with fat ozzy and died young.

The big thing that impresses me about Rhoads is he triple-tracked his solos. That said, it pretty much takes perfection to do that, & lots of skill...I used to be into his playing a lot when I was a teenager, but grew away from it, & back into the bluesy rock thing, where I've been pretty much ever since....It would have been cool to see where he'd be now, but that's just like a lot of players who died young...

Question about a 1960AV cab, stock speakers are V30's right????

It's because he died. That's all. He played with fat ozzy and died young.

You know...I've wondered about that from time to time.

Where would some of the legends/icons be today had they NOT died young...and what would they be like?
Would their old-age life = their legend/icon status they got after their early demise?

I know we can never know that...but I see some who artists who were big names in their youth, only to become just shadows in their older age...many have even fallen into ruts and seen their younger days wiped away and tarnished.

Like say...would Hendrix have stayed on top of his game for years and years...or Morrison....or Joplin...etc?

Might be an interesting thread on its own...but it will all end up being pure guesstimation in the end. :D

Back