The New Tone Thread

Well that sucked ..... I lost a long ass post .......... sigh ..

Anyways, the RP360 ...... after a couple of weeks I have my sounds fairly dialed in ..... I'll still be tweaking them as I go but mostly level matching and some slight EQ tweaks.
But I find these sounds to be acceptable enough that I can gig without having my playing affected because I'm distracted by them.

The unit is quite easy to edit and understand and it has a lovely USB to 'puter editing program although I find it about as easy to just use the panel on the unit.

I find the cleans pretty decent but a bit sterile .... they don't have that 'bloom' you get with an amp but they'll do.

And the dirty is way better than any of my other modelers ( POD, V-Amp, several rack-mounts, Rocktron, Vox)
There's not many bees at all as long as I watch out for 4k and up on the EQ.

I have 8 presets I've dialed in (each of which can have 3 stomps assigned to the 3 footswitches ).
I can have up to 99 but I find these to be enough for now and most of the time only use about 5 of them.

I have a CLEAN based on a Twin thru a 4x10 tweed bassman cab

The CHORUS is a Twin thru 2x12

I have two crunches and 4 higher gained leads though I might use crunch setting for some rides and higher gained for chords but that's how I labeled them.

The PLEXI sounds are a '68 100 watt Plexi thru a 4x12 cab with V30s.

The CHIEF sounds are based on a Matchless Chieftain thru a 4x12 Rectifier cab.

The '57 Champ is thru a 1x12 and the JUMP Plexi is a '68 Plexi with the channels jumped.

This is just me playing stuff to work on tweaking my presets ..... as soon as I decide I'm done with one I threw down a quick buncha diddling and move on .... it's not what I would call takes .... it's me dicking around and wanting to go to bed! :D

The recording is the unit direct into the recorder, just like I run it into the A.

Attachments

• CLEAN.mp3
    1.8 MB · Views: 11
  • CHORUS.mp3
    2.2 MB · Views: 12
  • PLEXI CRUNCH.mp3
    2 MB · Views: 11
  • CHIEF CRUNCH.mp3
    1.6 MB · Views: 15
  • PLEXI LEAD.mp3
    1.6 MB · Views: 13
  • CHIEF LEAD.mp3
    1.2 MB · Views: 12
  • '57 CHAMP.mp3
    1.5 MB · Views: 10
  • JUMPED PLEXI.mp3
    1.1 MB · Views: 12
Wow those are all real nice. Good job avoiding the fizz! I caught a little smoke on the water in there. :D

Good clips. They're all good, but I really like Plexi Crunch and Chief Crunch.

:D

Sorry .... it's a Star Trek reference ..... you kinda have the look of a proud Klingon Warrior ..... if you're not a fan I can see where it would make no sense!

:laughings:

Lol. I am a proud warrior. I've never watched a second of Star Trek though. :o :facepalm:

Holy crap, I just googled Klingon Warrior. Lol. My hairline is bad, but it aint that bad! :D

Wow those are all real nice. Good job avoiding the fizz!

Thank you sir! :)

The fizz is the biggest thing to me ..... I just hate it so much! :mad:

I actually chose which of the 55 different amp models to use based on which ones had the fewest bees.
Same thing with the cabs ..... some seemed to enhance the fizz while others seemed to make it go away.
Anyways ..... that's really what I spent a lot of time on ....... mosquito control!!

I like the Chief clips best out of all myself....Those seem to have a little more bottom end to 'em...Good job dude, I'm actually surprised by the tones myself, & I really like the chorus clip too, I've just always liked chorus sounds for some reason....

I like the Chief clips best out of all myself....Those seem to have a little more bottom end to 'em... ...
yeah .... it's a different cab is prolly the biggest reason but that Chieftain has a different sound of its own too.

But I agree ...... in these clips I definitely like it the best.
And I like chorus a lot myself .... I know greg hates it and it has fallen out of favor in general, but I find that in solo gigs or 3 piece bands it adds some movement that makes things more interesting sounding.

Overall, for 150 bucks I think it may be the best-bang-for-the-buck modeler.

Lt. Bob,
I really like the Chief tones - all of them and the clean is cool.
Seems like a good tool.

here's 7 of the sounds mushed up into a catastrophic mistake.

This is way off the cuff, the one track with echo was the bed and is a factory preset (comes in at 00:11 ).... the space sounds at the beginning are another useless factory preset ..... the others are my presets.

EVERYthing on this is first take ..... the very first thing that came out is what I went with because I was playing with sounds more than I was trying to try out notes.

For the solo I took a big shot of Captain and closed my eyes!

RP360 direct into mixer for this recording:

Attachments

• RP360 demo.mp3
    4.2 MB · Views: 4
Lt. BOB, I am impressed with those tones you got out of that digitech box. Right off the bat they all seem to have that extra little bit dimension and shape that my Pod X3 does not have. I am going to chuck a thumbs up at the Matchless tones as well. Got some meat and potatoes to it.

I am going to definitely consider this over a line 6 product or any of these new 'app' based modellers when it comes time to retire the Pod.

Nice one, Bob. You paid less than 200$ for that thing, right?
The price/tone ratio is pretty high.
yep .... they're going for 150 bucks and even a bit less sometimes.
There is one with a built in expression pedal that 200 bucks but that's just something to break so I went with the pedal-less version.

Lt. BOB, I am impressed with those tones you got out of that digitech box. Right off the bat they all seem to have that extra little bit dimension and shape that my Pod X3 does not have. I am going to chuck a thumbs up at the Matchless tones as well. Got some meat and potatoes to it.

I am going to definitely consider this over a line 6 product or any of these new 'app' based modellers when it comes time to retire the Pod.
I think it's is better IMO and it's definitely easier to edit.

Motorhead!

IMG_5248_zpsvoaxkedm.jpg

Fuck yeah! Get some video!

You could watch the whole set on the BBC iPlayer service (therefore with good sound), but I guess you need to have a UK IP address (proxy or VPN service would do).

This is a clip of Ace of Spades, but it's put up on YouTube by the BBC, so might not be available there:

It was pissing rain just before they came on, so the crowd was quite thin for most of the set.

They only played an hour, but there was still a 10 minute drum solo towards the end.

I'm surprised that the BBC don't allowed people in other countries to pay for access to iPlayer. I know I would if I was an ex-pat

I'm surprised that the BBC don't allowed people in other countries to pay for access to iPlayer. I know I would if I was an ex-pat

You're going to have to pay for it even at home soon!

A VPN service is cheaper than the licence fee, so I wouldn't bother. We do the same here so my other half can watch French TV.

Back