The New Tone Thread

Just keeping the thread alive, here's a clip I did with the DSL today....

LP > DSL > Greenback > e609

DSL:

100w mode, Red OD1

Resonance: 0
Presence: 7
Bass: 7
Middle: 6
Treble: 5
Volume: 4
Gain: 4

I did add a little 'verb in the daw....

DSL>Greenback

Thanks Greg....Even after I spent all that $$$ on different speakers, I keep going back to the Greenback...there's just something about it I like way more than the others...I still like the 65, but the Greenback wins just about every time...It's a little crispy in the top end, but it should fit in a mix pretty easily I think....

When ya gonna get us some clips of the attenuator dude??? I'd love to have one to try out on my amps, especially the Ceriatone in regular/plexi mode...

Cool man....I still haven't found anyone around here to fuckin' play any music with, looks like the summer thing may turn into the winter thing...dunno man, makes me wanna pack up & leave this ghost town....

Try to get someone to record some of your upcoming gig dude, iphone or whatever....

DSL:

100w mode, Red OD1

Presence: 7
Bass: 7
Middle: 6
Treble: 5
Volume: 4
Gain: 4

I did add a little 'verb in the daw....

DSL>Greenback

Ye gods, that DSL is a bright motherfucker isn't it? That might actually outpace my DSL40 in the bright category. There's a weird thin quality going on at times, not sure which pickup position(s) you used during those (I'd assume the middle, with it's out of phase kind of thing going on). When you hit the bridge pickup it kicks into a pretty damn perfect rock tone. Not sure that I like the e609 on its own. I bet that it cooperates with other mics very well though, sounds like it really captures the upper mids and highs very well.

I recorded this after fiddling with my JHS Firefly Fuzz pedal for a few hours. I'm still not really in love with the pedal, and the relationship between the knobs is kinda complicated for a 4-knob fx pedal. I have a feeling that once I find the right balance between the bias and the volume, I'll get a less mid-scooped kind of sound. It's down and dirty, I just want a more clipped, raw sound. This just sounds more like early heavy metal to me.

This is basically the same settings on my DSL that you've all heard before, but with the Firefly driving the front end instead of my TS9. The only difference is that I backed off of the gain because this pedal is a freaking beast. I recorded this a while back so I don't remember the exact knob positions but this is a fair approximation:

Gibson LP Classic -> JHS Firefly Fuzz -> DSL40C Creamback green channel (clean) -> Audix i5 -> FMR RNP

Fuzz:
Volume - 40%
EQ - 100%
Bias - 0%
Fuzz - 25%

Amp:
Gain: 6
Volume: 8
Treble: 2
Mid: 6
Bass: 4
Presence: 2

Once you've listened to the first 40 seconds, you've pretty much heard it all...it just repeats a couple more times. I was on a roll :D

I ,like that ..... I don't find it excessively bright ..... it's more like greg said ..... has a nice 'bite' to it ......

I recorded this after fiddling with my JHS Firefly Fuzz pedal for a few hours.
I'm not a fuzz guy but when I was young, I had a Mosrite Fuzzrite ..... supposed to be one of the very first, and I'm sorta on a quest for that sound .... like The Music Machine ... 'Talk Talk'.
This has a little of that quality to it. Nice.

Here's a clip from that gig I did a few weeks back with Tommy Talton and friends.

First .... the recording is a Teac DR-05 set on a balcony railing above the stage .... no mixing possible .... this is just the two built-in mics.

I was mostly there to play bass and once I got on stage to play my one sax song with Tommy he never let me back down so everything after that was totally off the cuff.
This is a song I'd heard before but I've never played it .... so this is me winging it ..... in fact about 1:36 in, you can hear me stop for a second 'cause I think I'm thru ..... then they were going, "No-o-o-o-o ... keep playing" .... :D

Attachments

• sax with tommy.mp3
    8 MB · Views: 20
I think it's okay. It's kind of scratchy to me. It's hard to describe. I think it sounds kind of stiff like it was recorded at a low volume. It aint bad though.
Forgot to mention, that's the telecaster on the bridge into the Jackhammer going through the clean channel of the bandit into a shit mic. I flick to the neck pick up on one of the guitars for the lead. That was a bit spur of the moment. I hate "writing "lead. It's nearly always off the cuff.

Trying to decide what order to but gear in. Probably mic next, then amp in the summer.

I recorded this after fiddling with my JHS Firefly Fuzz pedal for a few hours. I'm still not really in love with the pedal, and the relationship between the knobs is kinda complicated for a 4-knob fx pedal. I have a feeling that once I find the right balance between the bias and the volume, I'll get a less mid-scooped kind of sound. It's down and dirty, I just want a more clipped, raw sound. This just sounds more like early heavy metal to me.

This is basically the same settings on my DSL that you've all heard before, but with the Firefly driving the front end instead of my TS9. The only difference is that I backed off of the gain because this pedal is a freaking beast. I recorded this a while back so I don't remember the exact knob positions but this is a fair approximation:

Gibson LP Classic -> JHS Firefly Fuzz -> DSL40C Creamback green channel (clean) -> Audix i5 -> FMR RNP

Fuzz:
Volume - 40%
EQ - 100%
Bias - 0%
Fuzz - 25%

Amp:
Gain: 6
Volume: 8
Treble: 2
Mid: 6
Bass: 4
Presence: 2

Once you've listened to the first 40 seconds, you've pretty much heard it all...it just repeats a couple more times. I was on a roll :D
That's pretty great to me. I'm not much on fuzz myself, but you did a nice job with that. Pretty gnarly, but not excessively noisy or harsh. Sounds pretty damn good.

Here's a clip from that gig I did a few weeks back with Tommy Talton and friends.

First .... the recording is a Teac DR-05 set on a balcony railing above the stage .... no mixing possible .... this is just the two built-in mics.

I was mostly there to play bass and once I got on stage to play my one sax song with Tommy he never let me back down so everything after that was totally off the cuff.
This is a song I'd heard before but I've never played it .... so this is me winging it ..... in fact about 1:36 in, you can hear me stop for a second 'cause I think I'm thru ..... then they were going, "No-o-o-o-o ... keep playing" .... :D
Haha, that was awesome. That's some really nice sax blowing boob. Great sound in there too. Yall were nicely balanced out.

Forgot to mention, that's the telecaster on the bridge into the Jackhammer going through the clean channel of the bandit into a shit mic. I flick to the neck pick up on one of the guitars for the lead. That was a bit spur of the moment. I hate "writing "lead. It's nearly always off the cuff.

Trying to decide what order to but gear in. Probably mic next, then amp in the summer.
That damn Jackhammer is probably why I'm not totally thrilled with that kind of sound. I've never been one like to a dirty pedal into a clean amp. But that's just me. I'd say get a better amp first, but if you insist on getting your dirt from a pedal, maybe go with a better pedal.

That damn Jackhammer is probably why I'm not totally thrilled with that kind of sound. I've never been one like to a dirty pedal into a clean amp. But that's just me. I'd say get a better amp first, but if you insist on getting your dirt from a pedal, maybe go with a better pedal.
I think all my recent tones on my Soundcloud are using the Jackhammer. Most of them are Jackhammer into a clean ampsim as opposed to a real amp though.

I do like the tone (in the room or from the sim) but another reason I use it is that I can get a similar tone from my sim as I get in my amp. Which is handy as I play through my sim quite a lot, especially early in the morning or late at night.

Ye gods, that DSL is a bright motherfucker isn't it? That might actually outpace my DSL40 in the bright category. There's a weird thin quality going on at times, not sure which pickup position(s) you used during those (I'd assume the middle, with it's out of phase kind of thing going on). When you hit the bridge pickup it kicks into a pretty damn perfect rock tone. Not sure that I like the e609 on its own. I bet that it cooperates with other mics very well though, sounds like it really captures the upper mids and highs very well.
Thanks man, yeah, it's a bright-ass amp, no doubt about it, but it can be dialed down with the eq & mic placement....I tend to like brighter tones too, sometimes I get carried away...The 609 can be a bit bright on it's own, & you're right, it does blend well with other mics, like a '57...

On the pickup thing, that was all on the bridge p'up, I just picked/played harder at times...I had a little resonance/string ringing thing going on at the nut when I first got this guitar, & at times it does it between the bridge & tailpiece, so I'm probably gonna have to put a piece of foam there too, I noticed it yesterday, & using quite a bit of gain (like I usually do) make it stand out even more...

Your clip sounds pretty good, it's thick & grungy sounding...IMHO dude, that sound would probably blend really good with a bright red channel sound from your amp...Use the pedal sound for most of the meat/chunk, & the red channel for the bite....Try it & see if/when you get time dude...

Yeah dude, I'm betting it's not the amp at all, I'm betting it's the pedal because we basically have the same amp, & you've told me about the same thing when I use a pedal for the dirt with the DSL....He just needs to twist some knobs on the red channel, it's there, you just have to find it...

Bob: Clip sounds good dude, but I could've sworn I heard a pair of panties hit the stage....might've been a bra they threw at ya...:).

Cool man....I still haven't found anyone around here to fuckin' play any music with,

I know those feels Miner. Know them so hard. HaHa. I am in the same place.

I got a question? That 30 Watt Orange i have been mucking around with, i am sort of stuck on how hard to push it? Like what controls the power in that amp? the gain knob obviously is driving the power but does the master have any control over the power? How hard do i want to push that thing?

Also i finally found a soloution for making use of my condenser mics for micing the cab. Everyone has told me it is a pretty unconventional means of micing a cab, but i want to do it myself to see why it is so crappy. If crappy at all? I dunno. Long Story short i bought a DI box with two -20DB pads on it and after toying with it every way possible, it always just sounded like a distortion pedal with a dead battery in it. Garbage. So i took it back to the store and bitched about it. And then their guitar guy looked at me and asked "All you want to do is pad the signal?" I said yea. He hands me a couple XLR thingys and tells me to pick him up after work and we'd goto his place and he whip something up for me.

So he makes this hilarious looking this thing

It's a VERY diy 20DB Pad. it has one job and lives in a cardboard box. And it works like a charm. Just thought i'd share for interest sake. Results to follow soon just need time to spend down in my hole :(

One the amp....yes, the Master usually is what drives the power tubes....the Volume (on an amp w/Master) usually drives the preamp tubes.
Not totally right, the total amount of signal going to the power section is what drives the power tubes. If the master is wide open and the Volume down low you still won't drive the power tubes.
By the same token, if the Volume is wide open but the Master down low, you also won't drive the power tubes very hard.

So it's a combination of both that gets to high enough levels to drive the power tubes.
The amounts can vary depending on amp design ..... some power amps hit full output with smaller input signals than others and vice-versa.

Last edited:
I think I know what you might be getting at with the tone and it's actually to do with attenuators!

the Transtube Bandit has something called T-Dynamics on it. Which I have set as low as possible (10%) as I don't want things to be too loud within my living room. I could probably get away with pushing the volume up quite a lot with the T-Dynamics down this low.

Nope, the total amount of signal going to the power section is what drives the power tubes. if the master is wide open and the Volume down low you still won't drive the power tubes. It's a combination of both that gets to high enough levels to drive the power tubes.

So really, when i am tinkering with this thing, i need to kind of work with both the Master and the gain knob and find a nice sweet mix of both as opposed to relying on one or the other for tone?

Now that i read that back it seems like such a newb question to be asking. I was just wondering more or less where this thing is 30W amp if i really need to push it to the max to get the most out of it.

Maybe over thinking it.

@Miro i totally could have bought that if they had it available but they only had some 90 dollar Shure thing in another store on the other sdie of the country. This diy option cost me 10 bucks and two beer. I like that price better. And looks way cooler.

Also we named it the "STFU-o-MATIC 5000 Turbo."

I think I know what you might be getting at with the tone and it's actually to do with attenuators!

the Transtube Bandit has something called T-Dynamics on it. Which I have set as low as possible (10%) as I don't want things to be too loud within my living room. I could probably get away with pushing the volume up quite a lot with the T-Dynamics down this low.
well, the T-Dynamics isn't really an attenuator.
It actually controls the wattage output of the power amp.
"Wait!" you say ....... isn't that what an attenuator does? Not really ..... with gregs' amps, for instance, if he has an amp cranked and putting out 100 watts .... it's STILL putting out 100 watts no matter how low he sets the attenuator level.
But the attenuator simply converts some ( or a lot) of that into heat instead of letting it all get to the speakers and be converted into sound ( and heat also ). So his attenuator does not change the wattage output of his amps at all ..... it simply keeps some of it from getting to the speakers.

But on your Peavey the T-Dynamics controls the actual wattage output of the amp itself.
So if you use it to lower the amps output, you can obviously drive the amp into clipping at a lower volume level.

Last edited:
So really, when i am tinkering with this thing, i need to kind of work with both the Master and the gain knob and find a nice sweet mix of both as opposed to relying on one or the other for tone?

"
well , short answer is yes.
but ..... you can not get the power section into power tube distortion without the power amp putting out it's rated wattage or thereabouts.
So on my Mesa Mark V, for example, if I have it set to 90 watts it'll never get to power tube distortion regardless of where I set the Volumes without being super loud. But I can set it to 10 watts and without changing the Volume , I can get it to power tube distortion when I crank the master without getting so loud because wide open it only puts out 10 watts.

In the Mesa it's not an attenuator BTW ..... it reconfigures the power section to prolly a single ended triode configuration which is a low-output amp configuration. At 90 watts it's a 4 tube push-pull which is much higher output.

Back