The New Tone Thread

Lol. Goddamn, okay. So if the cabs don't matter anymore, and the Mass "corrects the impedance", whatever the fuck that means, then by that logic I can just set my amps at whatever and use whatever cab, right?

None of this fucking makes any fucking sense to me.
no ..... the amp needs to be set for the impedance of the mass which is 16ohms. The only reason that the speakers don't matter is because the Mass is the load the amp sees.

But if it were me and I was worried, I'd find a phone number and actually speak to their tech.

I do understand greg's concerns ...... Marshalls have a well deserved rep for blowing up if you even look at them wrong so I do understand why he's being cautious.

Lol. I am gonna call those fuckers. I'm sorry for shitting all over this thread with my dumb attenuator nonsense. I appreciate everyone's input.

Let me just say that regardless of my own confusion, this thing is really bad ass. It works really well and doesn't screw up the sound until you've really cranked the amp way down, and even then the treble compensation does a nice job getting the shine back.

Lol. I am gonna call those fuckers. I'm sorry for shitting all over this thread with my dumb attenuator nonsense. .
nah, that's part of the wonder that is The New Tone Thread!

But yes, a phone call is the way to go ..... e-mails can be misunderstood but when you talk on the phone you'll be able to question his reply and make SURE that you're getting it right.

nah, that's part of the wonder that is The New Tone Thread!

But yes, a phone call is the way to go ..... e-mails can be misunderstood but when you talk on the phone you'll be able to question his reply and make SURE that you're getting it right.

That's all I want. Just an answer to my question from the people that build the damn thing. Not that I don't trust yall's advice, I really do, and I tend to agree with it combined with my own limited experience, I just wanna hear it from them too. The email responses seem like little more than a copy-and-paste job from a script. That answer I posted earlier doesn't even really apply to my attenuator. It's just seems kind of generic.

I agree ..... it was the worst kinda technical gobbledy-gook.
This is concerning a legitimate question, the answer to which might mean the difference between magic smoke and no magic smoke.
They should have done better.

I agree ..... it was the worst kinda technical gobbledy-gook.
This is concerning a legitimate question, the answer to which might mean the difference between magic smoke and no magic smoke.
They should have done better.

Right, I agree. And especially with attenuators, there seems to be a lot of misinformation around a piece of gear that could potentially mean life or death for an amp. I don't believe that attenuators kill amps. Not when used correctly. I wanna make sure I use mine correctly.

I haven't even worked out what you've bought, what it's supposed to do or what you are trying to achieve yet. It's a really weird conversation to come back to the forum and join in with half way through.

I haven't even worked out what you've bought, what it's supposed to do or what you are trying to achieve yet. It's a really weird conversation to come back to the forum and join in with half way through.

I kind of stumbled in on this as well.... I left and closed the door behind me until they are done... No idea either.

Alright mofos, I used the 4 ohm 8x10 cab last night with the attenuator. No problems. I plugged the cab into the dummy box, and took a reading with the multimeter. 8-12 ohms everywhere. I set the amp to 8 ohms and rocked out all night without a hiccup. Sounded great, worked as advertised. So I guess I can relax now. Boob and ocnor were right, about 15 pages ago. :D Apparently they and weber's cut-and-paste replies were true - the Mass essentially takes the cab out of the equation.

Alright mofos, I used the 4 ohm 8x10 cab last night with the attenuator. No problems. I plugged the cab into the dummy box, and took a reading with the multimeter. 8-12 ohms everywhere. I set the amp to 8 ohms and rocked out all night without a hiccup. Sounded great, worked as advertised. So I guess I can relax now. Boob and ocnor were right, about 15 pages ago. :D Apparently they and weber's cut-and-paste replies were true - the Mass essentially takes the cab out of the equation.

Great, now can you give me a hand trying to improve my recent laid back punky tone?

Presumably, as you turn the dial, it reduces the power output, so you could use lower rated speakers in conjunction with one of these boxes. Any idea if this is the case and how much reduction there is? Is it something you could measure?

Great, now can you give me a hand trying to improve my recent laid back punky tone?
Post it.

Presumably, as you turn the dial, it reduces the power output, so you could use lower rated speakers in conjunction with one of these boxes. Any idea if this is the case and how much reduction there is? Is it something you could measure?
Yeah, it definitely will make things safer for lower wattage speakers. The power that is not used by pushing a speaker is converted to heat and vented into the cosmos. Attenuators get hot - mine is no exception. That's just how they work. How much reduction and how to measure it is beyond me. It really depends on how many low wattage speakers you're using. Four Greenbacks can obviously take more abuse than one Greenback.

Yeah, it definitely will make things safer for lower wattage speakers. The power that is not used by pushing a speaker is converted to heat and vented into the cosmos. Attenuators get hot - mine is no exception. That's just how they work. How much reduction and how to measure it is beyond me. It really depends on how many low wattage speakers you're using. Four Greenbacks can obviously take more abuse than one Greenback.

What I was thinking was of using something like the Mass 200 with a 2x12 in my little studio room. I can go quite loud, but not JCM800 loud! My difficulty with my iso box setup is dialling in a sound and micing the cab well without being able to hear what the amp sounds like. So, I was thinking one solution might be to use an attenuator that is quite transparent in the studio to dial in the amp and get an idea of what sound I'm trying to record. I could even record the attenuated sound, or switch to the iso box and experiment with mic placement in there to see just how feasible recording in there is at high volume.

I did have a crack at taking my 2x12 out of the iso box and micing it, but the JCM800 is so fucking loud I can't play anything without surely pissing off everyone in a 3 mile radius!

Didn't the Gibson Grabber bass have a similar pick up slidy thingy?

I had a very cheap virtual copy of that sliding pickup in a bass. I traded it for a WEM Mersey Super 15 amp head which is more or less a 15W Dominator clone. I had and still have a Plywood Precision which is well good enough for son's recording parts.

Dave.

https://soundcloud.com/brother-number-one/grit-mix
Couldn't find it, it was back on P601. Miner kinda liked it, and I kinda liked it. Just wondering if you could tell me how you think I could improve it (without telling me to but a grand's worth of kit!)
I think it's okay. It's kind of scratchy to me. It's hard to describe. I think it sounds kind of stiff like it was recorded at a low volume. It aint bad though.

What I was thinking was of using something like the Mass 200 with a 2x12 in my little studio room. I can go quite loud, but not JCM800 loud! My difficulty with my iso box setup is dialling in a sound and micing the cab well without being able to hear what the amp sounds like. So, I was thinking one solution might be to use an attenuator that is quite transparent in the studio to dial in the amp and get an idea of what sound I'm trying to record. I could even record the attenuated sound, or switch to the iso box and experiment with mic placement in there to see just how feasible recording in there is at high volume.

I did have a crack at taking my 2x12 out of the iso box and micing it, but the JCM800 is so fucking loud I can't play anything without surely pissing off everyone in a 3 mile radius!
There are two basic issues with attenuators that are simply unavoidable. One, the more you crank down on them to tame an amp, the more they suck tone. It happens with any of them. The sound usually loses high end clarity when cranked down with a load box. Some attenuators can compensate for that with their own presence/treble control. The second problem is that if you dial in an attenuated sound for louder recording later, the speakers are gonna act differently when hit with a hotter non-attenuated signal. So you may end up fighting yourself.

I'll tell you this though...I know your JCM 800 is stupid loud, and mine sounds fucking KILLER cranked up and then attenuated down a little with this Mass 200. So bad ass. I can record mine as loud as I want, but I can't use it live as loud as I want. It's just too loud. Now I can wind up the master vol to about 7 or 8 and knock it back down to sane levels with the attenuator. It sounds incredible.

I think it's okay. It's kind of scratchy to me. It's hard to describe. I think it sounds kind of stiff like it was recorded at a low volume. It aint bad though.
Wasn't particularly quiet. You couldn't talk over it in the same room but it wasn't uncomfortable to listen to. Basically, it was as loud as I would like to go in the house on a Sunday afternoon!

Back