The New Tone Thread

I don't know how much a mic on a speaker would care.
This is really my only concern dude....but, we've all heard the huge difference between my shitty-looking, home-made ISO cab & the "professional :rolleyes:" Randall ISO cab...no comparison really...it actually makes me wanna build another one in a way, but I know deep down inside that I've already found "my" way to record electric guitar....which is....

LOUD!!!

:D

I'm not sure. I've heard plenty junk speakers in junk cabs, and good speakers in good cabs. I've never heard good speakers in a junk cab though, so I'm not sure what role the actual cab itself plays when comparing 4x12s. I'm sure it makes a difference. Wood quality, construction, internal space, etc. But I don't know how much a mic on a speaker would care.

well ..... the cab can affect how the speaker itself behaves.
For example, in a ported cab there's a spot in the freq where the backpressure from the port holds the speaker cone motionless which obviously would affect how the speaker sounds and that would be picked up by a mic because the speaker would, in fact, be putting out something different than it would in a different cab with either a different port or volume or a sealed cab.
But, in general 4x12 cabs are all about the same size so I think the differences wouldn't be too great.

Thanks Bob....I think as long as it's a decently made cab, it should be fine....as far as cabs go, I've still got my 1x12's: an Orange PPC112 & the Randall 1x12....the Randall is just a little bigger than the Orange (wider), so it may even do ok for recording....dunno really....I've not tried either of my small cabs with my big amps, but using either the Tweaker or the 1w DSL, the Orange cab didnt' have any bottom end with a V30 in it...The Randall did have some with the Greenback (more so than the Orange), but nothing like my 4x12 obviously...

As usual, I'm probably over-thinking this shit again...:D.

Just about got my strat ready, gonna put it away for the night, & start re-stringing it tomorrow....I put the stock humbucker back in the bridge position, the Duncan Custom Custom just didn't agree with my ears....The stock p'up wasn't bad, I just got into "that" mode & wanted to try something else/different....I can't believe I've let that guitar sit that long being non-functioning...Which in defense of myself, I have had a lot of shit in my life the past year or so, but it's still no excuse...:o.

Gonna grab a snack, watch a little tv, & hit the sack...It's been a pretty good weekend for me, hope you guys have had the same....

Ok, some more fucking around with the 2-mic thing, the '57 on the Greenback, & the C1 condensor on the V30....These are as close to being in phase as I could get 'em, lemme know if you hear any weird shit, again, they sound fine to me, phase-wise...

Nothing added in the daw on these, no reverb, no eq, just the raw tracks....

Signal chain:

LP > Chupacabra > "bastard" 4x12 > '57 & C1

resonance: 2-3
presence: 8-9
bass: 7
mid: 3
treble: 5-6
master: 3
gain 2: 9
gain 1: 2
era: 80's
bright 2: R
bright 1: C
focus: off

Greenback/V30 mix 1

bright 2: L
bright 1: C

Greenback/V30 mix 2

bright 2: C
bright 1: L

Greenback/V30 mix 3

bright 1: R

Greenback/V30 mix 4

master: 1
gain 2: 10
gain 1: 10
era: plexi

Greenback/V30 mix 5

master: 4
gain 2: 4
gain 1: 8

Greenback/V30 mix 6

These clips are all about the same amp settings, I just flipped the bright switches on 'em....The clip in plexi mode I did dime both the gain knobs though....I did have to turn the master way down on the plexi-mode clip too, the condensor can't handle the SPL's...

Lemme know what you guys think, off to work, hopefully 3 shifts & I get a little mini-vacation...

6, 1, and 2 are the best to me.

3 and 4 are a little thin and buzzy.

5 has a nice grind to it but it too is a little fizzy to me.

6, 1, and 2 are the best to me.
I absolutely love the 80's mode on this amp....Really only differences in all these clips (except for one) is I flipped the bright switches around to change the tone a little....

3 and 4 are a little thin and buzzy.
These 2 clips were with the bright 1 either left or right, it seems to cut the bottom end, & adds gain, along with high-mids & high end...I'm sure with some eq tweaks, they could be a lot better....

5 has a nice grind to it but it too is a little fizzy to me.
This was in plexi mode, but with both gain knobs dimed...It gets fuzzy/fizzy sounding when they're all the way up, I could probably flip the bright 2 to add more gain, & center bright 1 to keep the bottom end....

While there's not a world of difference in these clips, I myself can tell a difference just flipping the bright switches around, & that's basically what I was doing, just seeing (again...lol) what difference the switches do to the tone...

I actually like the Greenback blended with the V30, the GB has the highs/lows, & the V30 adds the mids to the sound...

Oh yeah, cancelled my order on my speakers today, something came up that I need the $$$ for worse than speakers, but I should be able to re-order 'em around the end of this week....No biggie really, I dunno if I'd gotten 'em before my mini-vacation was up anyway, but I'll get 'em....If I play my cards right, I might even be able to get 3: a Greenback & 2 - '65's, that would complete my speaker quest for now...:).

What are you planning to do with all of these speakers? I mean, I get it, I'm a bit of a speaker junkie myself. I have 3 cabs though. You mentioned getting another cab, is that the plan? Fill two cabs with whatever speakers you wanna use?

If so, and you're buying new speakers anyway...get the Creambacks!

What are you planning to do with all of these speakers? I mean, I get it, I'm a bit of a speaker junkie myself. I have 3 cabs though. You mentioned getting another cab, is that the plan? Fill two cabs with whatever speakers you wanna use?

2 cabs dude, either 2 - 4x12's (including the one I've got now), or 3 cabs, the 4x12, & 2 - 2x12's....I've found a few different cabs pretty cheap on the local Craig'slist, & I'm sure for recording they'd do just as good as a Marshall or other high-end cab....

https://tricities.craigslist.org/msg/4729995550.html

If so, and you're buying new speakers anyway...get the Creambacks!

Well, wouldn't the Creambacks be the same sound as the Greenbacks, just at a higher wattage??? My whole plan was to have 2 of each speaker (IE: 2 - Greenbacks, 2 - V30's, 2 - T75's, etc)...One more Greenback & a couple more different speakers (like the 65's) would give me enough to fill 2 - 4x12's, plus I'd have 2 extra T75's to trade if I wanted....Lemme know about the Creambacks, from what I've read, they're just a high-powered Greenback, pretty much the same sound, but I might be wrong...

They are the same sound, supposedly, but I thought you said something about being worried that you're gonna blow your Greenback up. The new Creambacks take care of that worry.

They are the same sound, supposedly, but I thought you said something about being worried that you're gonna blow your Greenback up. The new Creambacks take care of that worry.

Right dude, with the ISO cab/DSL (or the Chupa cranked), the single Greenback would be gone pretty quickly, but in a 4x12 with other speakers, it( or 2 of 'em with 2 other/different speakers like the V30's) should be fine...

I'm already planning on at least one more 25w Greenback, then a couple of different speakers would round it all out...

As far as the "extra" T75's, I could put 'em in my 1x12's, take 'em to Guitar Center (I'm off 4 days this week, & could possibly take a day to do this), & trade 'em in on something....Or, sell/trade 'em for one of the 4x12's....

Nothing "set in stone" as of yet dude, except I'm getting 3 more speakers then gonna find another 4x12....:).

But aren't your current speakers a mixed bag of 8 and 16 ohm speakers?

Yes, but that's why I'm getting the new speakers dude, with one Greenback, I can have the 4x12 with V30's/Greenbacks....And if/when I ever get another cab, I'll have enough for that one too....

Right now, I've currently got:

5 - G12-T75's 16 ohm
2 - V30's 8 ohm
1 - Greenback 8 ohm

So since I really don't use the T-75's much anymore, I'll most likely flip/sell/trade/whatever to get whatever speakers I'll really use, like the 65's...You're right though, with the "mixed bag" I'm gonna have to either go all 8 ohm, or all 16 ohm....

I could get a couple 2x12's, & have the T-75's I'm gonna keep in one, & the 65's/whatever in another one....either way I go, I'm still gonna have to get at least another 4x12 or 2 - 2x12's....Probably gonna go with 8 ohm speakers except for the T-75's dude, again, I really don't use 'em anymore, & I might even be able to trade around to get something else I'd use....

I just gotta have a little patience, & I'll get it all sorted...:).

To be honest, I'd really like to have a couple 2x12's that Sourmash makes....they'd be the perfect fit & look for the Chupacabra...they're pricey, like $300 apiece, but again, they'd look great, & I'm sure they'd sound great too...

Here's a quick-n-shitty little mix I did in about 20 mins today....nothing special, just seeing how the Chupa's tones will sound in a mix....Lemme know what you guys think.....

Chupa mix 11-25-2014

Off to work, 2 more shifts....

Here's a quick-n-shitty little mix I did in about 20 mins today....nothing special, just seeing how the Chupa's tones will sound in a mix....Lemme know what you guys think.....

Chupa mix 11-25-2014

Off to work, 2 more shifts....

I think it's pretty good, but just a little flubby. But the guitars are also way loud, so it might work better with the sound left alone but the guitars dropped into the mix some.

Weird dude, I was just gonna post...

After listening to this tonight, the guitars are waaay loud for the mix, so dropping 'em might sound better....This was both mics on the Greenback btw...Not gonna post the amp settings, really doesn't matter...

What matters is I'm off fuckin' work until Monday....and I'm gonna order either those 3 speakers or I might say fuck it & order this on payments for my Christmas present to myself:

Marshall 2x12

That's a lot of $$$ for a 2x12, it's about $300 more than if I bought the Sourmash cab & the speakers seperate, but, I wouldn't have to plunk all the dough down at once...I'll most likely just stick to the 3 speakers, but this would probably sound pretty bad-ass with the Chupacabra....And it would look fuckin' awesome too, vintage style....:).

$900 for a 2 x 12? I don't care who's name is on the front of it - I'll pass on that.

Ditto. It looks cool and all, but fuck no. Lol.

Minermaniac, check out Avatar Speakers. They make awesome 2x12's and you can get whatever speakers you want in it for approx 400 bucks. I had one, I can vouch for them. That cab was bad ass and BIG for a 2x12. I only got rid of it because some dude on Craigslist wanted a trade that was too good to pass up.

Ditto. It looks cool and all, but fuck no. Lol.

Yeah, I know guys, that's fuckin' crazy for a 2x12, just looking around....I could get a Sourmash cab just like that for like $300, & use a couple speakers I already have...

I'm just gonna order a couple/3 speakers today, & let that be it for a while....maybe.....hahahahahahaha

Minermaniac

I like that name dude, actually kinda fits me the last 8-9 months....:D.

Minermaniac, check out Avatar Speakers. They make awesome 2x12's and you can get whatever speakers you want in it for approx 400 bucks. I had one, I can vouch for them. That cab was bad ass and BIG for a 2x12.

DITTO ^^^ :thumbs up:

I have one of their 112 "Bluesbreaker" style cabs...and I also had the same style in a 212 (big MOFO for a 212)....but I sold the 212 just because I needed the room for another amp/cab, otherwise no complaints.....it had a huge sound.

The 112 I have is also large/deep for a 112....plenty of chunk to them, and qood build quality. I currently have a Celestion Gold in there, it's a good blend. I use the Avatar when I want to change up any of my other stock amp/speaker combinations.

Ok....same little "song", but I lowered the guitars, re-tracked the left side with the DSL1 > 4x12, & changed the drum sounds....

Lemme know what you think, especially about the drums on this, trying a completely different kit (Jamstix sounds), that I think sounds ok....

This is the 1w amp pretty much dimed through the 4x12....honestly, this little fucker is pretty damn loud through a big cab...

DSL1 - Chupa mix

Back