The New Tone Thread

Lol. The other guitarist in my drumming band (not the thin tone guy) just bought an Ampeg SVT Classic and an Ampeg 8x10 cab. Bam. Holy Grail bass tone. He bought it just to have it. I love it! I can't wait to jam some bass through that fucking thing. :thumbs up:

Lol. The other guitarist in my drumming band (not the thin tone guy) just bought an Ampeg SVT Classic and an Ampeg 8x10 cab. Bam. Holy Grail bass tone. He bought it just to have it. I love it! I can't wait to jam some bass through that fucking thing. :thumbs up:
best bass amp ever ..... I used to play thru a SVT with two of the 8x10s ..... holy crap!
You're gonna enjoy that man .... great amp.

This crazy metal Scotsman has it figured out.

Lol I saw that video earlier this year, made me crack up, especially the part where he's all "ALL THE GAIN! SLAYER! MORE GAIN!"

Sent it to all my metalhead friends. Some laughed. Some weren't too happy!

best bass amp ever ..... I used to play thru a SVT with two of the 8x10s ..... holy crap!
You're gonna enjoy that man .... great amp.
Two 8x10s! That's awesome. :D

Yeah we're doing another album and I'm doing all the bass on it since we've had a revolving door of bassists lately. I've been kicking around ideas of what amp to use. One of mine, an Orange Terror Bass I've been using, a Fender Bassman Pro I have access too.....but now it's quite clear how I'm gonna track the bass. Ampeg! I can't wait.

Lol I saw that video earlier this year, made me crack up, especially the part where he's all "ALL THE GAIN! SLAYER! MORE GAIN!"

Sent it to all my metalhead friends. Some laughed. Some weren't too happy!

Lol. Yeah and he's right. I reluctantly saw Slayer a few months ago at a festival in Denver.....and holy shit, Kerry King was loud and clear. Granted, it's Slayer, at a huge pro festival, and he's Kerry King. But it was quite evident that his tone was not mushy scooped mids. I saw his rig, it was about six old school JCM 800s boosted by what looked like EQ pedals.

I had access to an ancient FEnder Bassman head in the mid 80's. I eventually gave it back to the owner only to discover he'd forgotten about it. I coulda........
Any way - it sounded great for bass & guitar.
I haven't played through that monster Ampeg - 'twould be nice.

how is that thing?

It's okay. Pretty cool. It's not my favorite bass tone or anything, not very versatile, but it certainly does a nice job and it's about 1/1000th the weight of an SVT. :D

To be fair, I haven't spent too much time really trying to dial it in. It's not mine, my bass is junky, and I've been running it through a piss-poor SWR 4x10 cab so I can't pass judgement on it yet. I suspect it would be pretty awesome with a decent bass and better cab.

No pick, all fingers, right? :)

Fuck no. I pick bass.

After thinking 'bout it for a day or two, I said fuck it, & ordered a Celestion G12-65, & another Greenback...I went with 8 ohms for both, as my other Greenback & 2 - V30's are all 8 ohms, & honestly, those are my favorite speakers anyway, so I'll be able to mix/match 'em in my 4x12 now, & later on, I'll get another '65 so I can use about any combination of these 3 speakers in the existing 4x12, or if/when I get another cab (I really like the slant 2x12 Sourmash has...), I can use 'em all.....I really don't plan on using more than one cab at a time anyway, so it's not gonna be an issue (the 16 vs. 8 ohm thing) for me....The new speakers should be here around the first of the week.....:).

The T-75's aren't seeing much action since I got the Chupacabra, but I'll still use 'em from time to time...I was gonna go with a WGS ET65, which would've been cheaper, but the reviews I've read about the '65 re-issue were all pretty good, so again, fuck it....:D.

Awesome dude. I don't use my 75s anymore either. They don't sound bad, but they don't sound as good as a 65, Greenback, or V30, so.....

I'm trying to decide what I wanna replace them with. Currently they share a cab with Vintage 30s, which isn't a good blend, that's just how I stuck em in there. The V30s are staying. I like em a lot now that they're good and broken in. I need to figure out what I wanna pair them with. I'm thinking G12H30s or some vintage heavy magnet Blackbacks.

Yeah dude, they're good speakers, but the V30 & Greenback I have now are much better to my ears....I'm gonna try to trade/sell at least 2 of my T-75's, I'll keep 2 of 'em though maybe mix 'em with another speaker in another 4x12 or something.....Pretty excited about the new speakers on the way....My volume pots & thinner/smaller solder will be here tomorrow, so I should get the strat up & running by next weekend anyway (hopefully)...I just don't have a lot of time during the week, I could do that shit after work, but a lot of the time, I just don't feel like fucking with it....Again, pretty excited about the new speakers & shit coming my way....

Recording some toans right now, I'll post 'em up before I leave.....

Ok, just some more of my fucking around before work, lovin' the Ceriatone, just a great sounding amp....Love how it responds to my playing, it makes me just wanna keep playing...:).

LP > Chupacabra > Greenback > '57 & C1 (reverb added in daw)

Both mics are the same level in the daw...

Amp settings:

Resonance: 3
Presence: 8
Bass: 7
Mid: 7
Treble: 5
Master: 2-3
Gain 2: 7-8
Gain 1: 6-7
Era: 80's
Bright 2: L
Bright 1: C
Focus: Off

LP Bridge p'up

LP Neck p'up

Lemme know what you think, the reverb may be too much for you guys, but I like the way it sounds, isn't so dry sounding to me, plus, I like effects....;).

Off to work, couple more shifts, & I get a whole big day off....but, 2 more after that, & I get a little mini-vacation....

Oh yeah, about how long does it take to break a speaker in??? I've read about 30-40 hours of loudness, is this correct??? If so, I'm really gonna have to play some guitar to break the new speakers in that are coming....

Totally non-music related:

So wifey took me to EPCOT tues for my turning 63 party ..... as we were getting ready to go I took the dog for her walk and when I got back realized I'd stepped in dog shit so I took the offending shoe off ..... slipped that foot in a different tennis shoe and went outside to use a hose to clean it off and then put it in front of the fan to dry off before we left.

Went to the park ..... went to a restaurant .... went to the bar ...... had a great time.
I'm dressed all in black.

So when i got home I was getting undressed and for the first time noticed I had never put the poo shoe back on.
I had gone all day long dressed in black with one black and one white tennis shoe on!!

:laughings:

Senility!

:D:D:D

AHAHAHAHAHA !!!!!! that is such an awesome story.

Happy birthday Lt. BOB

Another update from me, we are 95% moved into the new house. My music/batcave set up commences soon!! So stoked. I have been looking at ideas for set ups online for my room. Doesn't seem to be any really cut and dry solutions. But at least know if i want to hang a diffuser up on the wall i am not going to give a whole lot of shits one way or the other.

I will post up some pics in the next few days!

That's a perfect way to let people know the age is 63 and not the sensibility Lt. Bob.
Look forward to it ShaPeyton.

No work tomorrow guys glad in a way but I was kinda counting on the overtime but fuck it...

Something happened to my order today so it'll probably be Monday before I get it lined out...the speakers might be here around Wed dunno....I'd really like to get them before my little vacation is up but if not no biggie....

Gonna eat, shower & hit the sack....long week

Oh yeah, your break-in question.........

I think a few days of loud rhythm playing will get it good and broken in.

Here's an idea....put it in your iso cab, close the lid, crank the amp, and reamp a loop of a direct guitar track for a few hours. That should do it. :D

Back