The New Tone Thread

Damn fuck shit......found a guy wanting to trade straight-up his Marshall 1987x (50w Plexi reissue) for a JMP 2204 (I have one!).

My 2204 has some vintage value, but honestly it's my least used amp.

They're valued around the same. I personally think the 1987x would sound better. I don't know what to do! Ack!

Just to ease your mind, & to make sure you don't make the wrong decision, just box the JMP up, & send it to me dude....That way you wouldn't have to worry if you did the right/wrong thing....You should have my mailing address where we swapped speakers a while back....:D.

Just to ease your mind, & to make sure you don't make the wrong decision, just box the JMP up, & send it to me dude....That way you wouldn't have to worry if you did the right/wrong thing....You should have my mailing address where we swapped speakers a while back....:D.

Lol. No. You wouldn't like this thing anyway. It has nowhere near enough gain for your hairy hair-sprayed ass. :D

I think it's cool, but I like the 800 and 1959 SLP much better, and the JVM is a million times more versatile. So it's my #4 amp right now.

The only catch in my mind is that mine is an actual vintage amp, his 1987x is a reissue. That doesn't really bother me, but it just seems weird to make that trade. Mine is bone stock, his has upgraded transformers. I bet it sounds bad ass.

Well dude, you do have a point about not having enough gain for my "hairy, hair-sprayed ass"....lol...but I do have a few dirt pedals to push it with now....

I dunno dude, you've already got the real deal, what would you want another one for? A backup? If you get rid of the JMP, your collection would be incomplete again....

Of course, it's your call, but I'd personally keep the JMP....if I didn't have a 1987x, then that'd be different, but, you do....

I have a 1959, which I absolutely love. The 1987 would be the 50w version, which I've always been interested in. And I just found out it has an effects loop, which could be cool. I don't want to be a "collector" though. The JMP 2204 is a real vintage amp, but that's not why I have it. Original or reissues don't mean shit to me.

Ah, also just found out that it has a new transformer because the stupid stereo switcher board on his 1960 cab took a shit just like mine did. Don't know what to think about that. And....it's 5 hours away and he wants to make this trade on friday. Seems a little too eager to me. I must investigate much further.

I thought you had the 50w version with the fx loop dude....And I'm sure the transformer that was replaced is fine, but yeah, I'd do some more digging before I made any kind of decision dude....

I could've swore you had the 50w/fx loop version.....

Nope, mine's the 100w no effects loop. The big beast.

I just demanded lots of detailed gut shots of the board, wiring, and the transformer repair. If he provides that I'll have some people look them over.

Cool man....Like I said, I could've swore yours was the 50w....

Listen to the little mix I put up & lemme know about the levels & drum sounds if/when u get a chance dude...I've gotta run out to get some cigarettes....Be back in a little while...

Cool man....Like I said, I could've swore yours was the 50w....

Listen to the little mix I put up & lemme know about the levels & drum sounds if/when u get a chance dude...I've gotta run out to get some cigarettes....Be back in a little while...

I'll check it a little later. not in listening mode right now. Gotta take a shower....I'm all sweaty and stinky.

No biggie dude, it's only like 60 seconds long, I'm just wondering about the drum sounds & if they sound anywhere near convincing....

Nice....I can finally say I'm in the same league as you guys, almost...:D.

Is there a big difference in the loudness/volume between you guys' 50 & 100 watt amps??? My DSL literally blows the Chupacabra away on loudness, even when the Chupa is in "regular" plexi mode...Being in front of the 4x12 with the DSL cranked, it's actually painful....The Chupa isn't as bad, yes, it's loud as fuck, but nothing like the DSL100...

Awesome pic. I have 1959, 2203, and 2204 happiness. Love the 1959 and 2203. Mostly love the 2204. Could I love a 1987 more?
I do frkn love that 1987 - it's a 1971 JMP 50. When you stand in front of it, as a friend of mine says, it sounds like God talking to Moses. But you have to turn it up, of course. I think I posted here about my nail biter experiences with attenuators and stuff. Thankfully, the amp is alive and well (I'll be giving thanks for that tomorrow at dinner, although I may speak the words really quietly)

Sweet stack minerman - both my Marshalls are 50 watt so I can't comment on that difference, but I do have a 100 watt Orange. I don't notice a big difference in volume among the three when they're cranked (assuming the same cab) - I guess the Orange is a little louder.

Is there a big difference in the loudness/volume between you guys' 50 & 100 watt amps???

Yes indeed. I know they say there's only 3db difference between a 50 and 100 watt amp, but the 100 watters sure *feel* way way louder to me.

My JCM 800 2203 is louder than my JMP 2204.

antichef, we live in the same damn city. Let's A/B our amps one day.

Greg, I'm telling you dude, I've read the "3db" difference, but the DSL100 slays the Chupacabra in sheer volume....I don't know if the Chupa isn't putting out what it's supposed to, or what, but again, the DSL100 is a loud, loud amp dude...Even the neighbors can tell when I'm using the DSL....lol...A guy that lives like 2 houses up stops by a couple times a week, & says he can tell the difference if he's out in his yard...:eek:.

The Chupa isn't a little 1w wimp :), but seriously can't touch the DSL volume-wise.....

I've been looking for a phone case to fit mine, but can't find one dammit....FUCK!!!!! Guess that's what I get for being a cheap-ass on my phone, spending my $$$ on other shit that I don't really need instead.....:laughings:

Back