The New Tone Thread

WW: Yeah dude, I've saw that vid before...if I bought one of those guitars though, I'd have to paint my fingernails like that....hahahaha....Seriously though, great looking & sounding guitars, basically the same thing as the one I linked (same wood, same p'ups), the only difference in 'em really (that I can tell) is the one I linked has 24 frets, a little different body style, & the p'ups are mounted directly to the wood (the Charvels might be like that but didn't dig enough to find out....)...I'm not dead-set on anything, but I do want another Floyd Rose guitar to add to my arsenal...If I could find one, I'd love to have an Ibanez Sabre like I had years ago, dunno if I could find one or not though...No biggie, as I'm just looking right now, & the gear I have is fine.....GAS is a terrible thing....lol.....

So, here's a clip of some blended mics, the '57 & the Behringer C1 condensor, got 'em as close in phase as I could, & there's a 5db difference in the volume (the C1 is -5db lower than the '57...)...I did add some room & plate 'verb in the daw, but there's no eq on 'em....

Chupa GB blended mics

Signal chain:

LP > Chupacabra > "bastard" 4x12 Greenback > '57/C1

Amp settings:
Resonance: 5
Presence: 8
Bass: 8
Mid: 3
Treble: 5
Master: 4
Gain 2: 3
Gain 1: 3
Era: 80's
Bright 2: L
Bright 1: C

I think this sounds pretty good, probably could've gotten the mic positions a little better, but for just fuckin' around, I think it's pretty good....Lemme know what you guys think....

WW: Yeah dude, I've saw that vid before...if I bought one of those guitars though, I'd have to paint my fingernails like that....hahahaha........

I tried that too, but it didn't improve my playing much, lol

That Neo dude makes excellent product review video's, just watched the one he did on the Jackson Adrian Smith SDX. Not bad for a cheap white guitar, I may need to check one out myself.... yeah!

943313_594204283933105_1666014100_n-e1375982171432.jpg

WW: Yeah dude, I've saw that vid before...if I bought one of those guitars though, I'd have to paint my fingernails like that....hahahaha....Seriously though, great looking & sounding guitars, basically the same thing as the one I linked (same wood, same p'ups), the only difference in 'em really (that I can tell) is the one I linked has 24 frets, a little different body style, & the p'ups are mounted directly to the wood (the Charvels might be like that but didn't dig enough to find out....)...I'm not dead-set on anything, but I do want another Floyd Rose guitar to add to my arsenal...If I could find one, I'd love to have an Ibanez Sabre like I had years ago, dunno if I could find one or not though...No biggie, as I'm just looking right now, & the gear I have is fine.....GAS is a terrible thing....lol.....

So, here's a clip of some blended mics, the '57 & the Behringer C1 condensor, got 'em as close in phase as I could, & there's a 5db difference in the volume (the C1 is -5db lower than the '57...)...I did add some room & plate 'verb in the daw, but there's no eq on 'em....

Chupa GB blended mics

Signal chain:

LP > Chupacabra > "bastard" 4x12 Greenback > '57/C1

Amp settings:
Resonance: 5
Treble: 5
Master: 4
Gain 2: 3
Gain 1: 3

I think this sounds pretty good, probably could've gotten the mic positions a little better, but for just fuckin' around, I think it's pretty good....Lemme know what you guys think....

I think that's pretty good. I like the mid-volume sound. I think it could use a little more beef. Or back off the presence. Or blend in the C1 more. Or turn it up louder. Whatever adds some low mids. It's a little tinny. But it's good.

And lol @ that terrible Charvel video. "Superb Red Color!". Lol. For real. Lol. I almost thought that was a joke parody video.

I think I'm gonna do a mod to my SLP to make it more Plexi-like. Should be easy. I haven't researched it too in-depth yet, but I think the 1959 SLP uses a 100k negative feedback resistor which is mainly what makes the amp more 70s metal face JMP and less 60s Plexi. I'm fine with that, I think the amp sounds fucking awesome. I like the aggressive bite of it. But I believe the mod is simply a matter of soldering another 100k across the existing 100k resistor in parallel to drop it to 50k. Stock 67-69 Plexis used 47k for negative feedback. The 50k mod would get me close enough to the original 47k spec and should help the amp maintain it's tightness better when the PPIMV is in use. It should also reduce the gain a little, which I'm also fine with.

Thanks dude, I'm still learning the new amp, & honestly, I fuckin' love it....gonna post a clip in a minute for you to check out, I think I'm starting to "get it" with the mic'd 4x12 dude....Really, it's an oversized 2x12 the way I'm using it, but it still sounds fucking killer IMO....this thing is unreal in the room & that's the problem, getting the sound I'm hearing in the room captured in my recordings...

Be back in a minute or two with another clip....and yes, I've got the big amp fired up at midnight tonight...:).

Ok....here's a clip I know the Gerg will recognize, at least what I'm attempting to play anyway....hahaha

I tried the Danelectro vibe pedal on this, & there is some 'verb in the daw....

The Dream of Great Recorded Toans

Signal chain:

LP > Cool Cat Vibe > Chupacabra > Greenback > '57/C1

Amp settings:
Resonance: 7
Treble: 7
Master: 6
Gain 2: 8
Gain 1: 4

Lemme know what you think about this one....I'm not 100% happy with it, but I never am or will be, but I'm getting there...I think...

I will say there are a lot of different tones in the Chupacabra, & I'm still finding new ones...Lovin' this amp....

Lol. I have no idea what that riff is. It sounds vaguely familiar but I don't know.

I still think it's a little bright. Not like terrible bright, it's good, I'm really nitpicking, but if you trimmed just a little off the top like a haircut I think it would be righteous. I like bright tones, but the high mids are a little much to me. Where are you putting the mics?

I got the title wrong dude, I thought the name of this part of "2112" was "The Dream", but it's actually "Soliloquy"....lol....sorry....

It's a lot easier to just post a pic than try to explain where the mics are dude, if you need another angle/pic lemme know...

And "righteous" is the word I'm looking for to describe my tones dude....hahahahaha

Lol. I've never made it too far into 2112. I like the first 5 minutes or so then get bored with it.

Okay try this when you get a chance just to humor me....

Keep the 57 about where you have it. It looks like it's probably around dustcap/cone seam, which I think is good. No problem there. But move that condenser further out to get more meat. See what that does. You should still have all of your top end, but it will be beefed up with more balls underneath.

Lol....I've listened to 2112 so many times dude, that I actually wore out a couple cassettes back in the day...

Yeah, I've got the '57 pretty much on the cap/cone thing, I'll move the condensor just a little & post another clip without changing anything else, just the condensor's position...

I'm gonna put some tape on the grillcloth where they're at, I think this sound would work great in a mix...

Be back in a few...

Ok dude....moved the condensor about an inch & 1/2 toward the edge of the speaker...might not have been enough, dunno...same exact settings on the amp, & vibe pedal, got as close to the guitar's volume being rolled back as I could...so all in all, exactly the same except for the condensor was moved just a little....

attempt #2

Thanks dude, I really can't tell a big difference between the two clips myself...I mean sure, there's a little difference, but it's really subtle...I'm gonna mark my cab's grillcloth with some tape, & hopefully I'll be able to get the mics pretty close to where they are....

Gonna post a clip of the DSL with the same mic positions in a few minutes too....Lovin' these big amps man, to me, there's nothing like 'em....can't believe I was trying to get these sounds with modelers & itty-bitty amps....lol....not that either of those don't or can't sound good, but....

Thanks dude, I really can't tell a big difference between the two clips myself...I mean sure, there's a little difference, but it's really subtle...I'm gonna mark my cab's grillcloth with some tape, & hopefully I'll be able to get the mics pretty close to where they are....
It aint subtle to me. I hear it pretty clear. It's all in the low end. Unless my ears and mind are playing tricks on me, but I don't think they are.

Gonna post a clip of the DSL with the same mic positions in a few minutes too....Lovin' these big amps man, to me, there's nothing like 'em....can't believe I was trying to get these sounds with modelers & itty-bitty amps....lol....not that either of those don't or can't sound good, but....
Lol. It's not the same. Not at all. Not even close.

Lol....my hearing ain't what it used to be dude....25 years of loud machinery underground is probably taking it's toll on me...

Ok, here's a couple more clips, I've ran out of time to post the settings, but one is with the DSL, & the other the Chupa....Same mic positions though....

Gotta run, be back after while, lemme know what you think of these.....

DSL blended

Chupa blended

Lol....my hearing ain't what it used to be dude....25 years of loud machinery underground is probably taking it's toll on me...

Ok, here's a couple more clips, I've ran out of time to post the settings, but one is with the DSL, & the other the Chupa....Same mic positions though....

Gotta run, be back after while, lemme know what you think of these.....

DSL blended

Chupa blended

Damn how'd I miss this?

Well I'd say the Chupacabra kills the DSL in these clips. They both sound great, but the Chupa has a clarity to it that the DSL doesn't.

In other news....I'd mentioned that there's a Jubilee at my new band's practice space and I've been giving it a workout. Um, I'm less than impressed. I fail to see what all the fuss is about with these amps.

The pros -
It's a rare and relatively valuable Silver Jubilee
It cuts through a live mix
Nice clean channel - if I cared about clean channels
At crunchy settings it sounds pretty good.

The cons -
It has no bottom end
It's cutting midrange is grainy and kind of harsh
It's minimal push/pull controls are wonky and kind of tricky to dial in
It doesn't respond very well to picking dynamics and/or guitar vol rolling
It's overdrive is kind of flattened and super compressed
This one I'm using is a 50 watt and it really has to be turned up to perform adequately.

So to sum up....as a Marshall fanboy, I'd give the often-hyped Jubilee a 6 out of 10. Yup, that's all. Just a 6. Tone-for-tone, you could sound the same as the diode clipped Jubilee with a JCM 900 or split-channel JCM 800 for literally a third of the price - or less. Or if you just want to spend the money, dollar-for-dollar you can buy a single channel JMP/JCM 800 or a Plexi/Super Lead and totally and completely blow the Jubilee out of the water. Really, it's not even close. A 1987/1959 and/or 2203/2204 Marshall destroys the Jubilee to death.

That's my story and I'm sticking to it.

Damn how'd I miss this?

Well I'd say the Chupacabra kills the DSL in these clips. They both sound great, but the Chupa has a clarity to it that the DSL doesn't.

Thanks dude, I was kinda wondering where you'd been, but I've been pretty busy myself....My oldest tomcat is about to die, he's almost 16 years old, but he's not gonna be around much longer...He's with the ex, but I have been stopping & seeing him from time to time the last few days...breaks my heart...Him & the rest of the feline bunch up there were all the comfort I had for a long time, & honestly all that kept me there for about 2 years...Hate to see him go, but that's part of life...

Here he is when he was pretty healthy:

I would post a pic of him I took this week, but he looks terrible, & would only remind me of what's to come...And yes, I'm very attached to them all, but especially him....He used to be a bad-ass....I've saw that cat kick some pretty big dog's asses....:laughings:.

On the clips, I probably could've dialed the DSL in a little better, but still, the Chupa walks all over it dude, I'm lovin' it...If I had to decide between the two, there'd be no doubt which one would stay...The Chupacabra is a highly recommended amp, the only thing I don't like about it is there's a considerable volume difference between the modes (plexi is loudest, then 80's, then modern), but really for what I do, it's a non-issue...Found the sweet spot on the volume knob too, it's around 7-8, that's when it really opens up & becomes "alive"....anything past that & it just distorts a little more....Kick-ass amp...:).

In other news....I'd mentioned that there's a Jubilee at my new band's practice space and I've been giving it a workout. Um, I'm less than impressed. I fail to see what all the fuss is about with these amps.

The pros -
It's a rare and relatively valuable Silver Jubilee
It cuts through a live mix
Nice clean channel - if I cared about clean channels
At crunchy settings it sounds pretty good.

The cons -
It has no bottom end
It's cutting midrange is grainy and kind of harsh
It's minimal push/pull controls are wonky and kind of tricky to dial in
It doesn't respond very well to picking dynamics and/or guitar vol rolling
It's overdrive is kind of flattened and super compressed
This one I'm using is a 50 watt and it really has to be turned up to perform adequately.

So to sum up....as a Marshall fanboy, I'd give the often-hyped Jubilee a 6 out of 10. Yup, that's all. Just a 6. Tone-for-tone, you could sound the same as the diode clipped Jubilee with a JCM 900 or split-channel JCM 800 for literally a third of the price - or less. Or if you just want to spend the money, dollar-for-dollar you can buy a single channel JMP/JCM 800 or a Plexi/Super Lead and totally and completely blow the Jubilee out of the water. Really, it's not even close. A 1987/1959 and/or 2203/2204 Marshall destroys the Jubilee to death.

That's my story and I'm sticking to it.

Cool review on the Jubilee....glad you let me in on it, I'll gladly cross that one off my list...if it's that un-impressive to you, I'm sure I'd think it totally sucks myself...For an expensive-as-fuck older Marshall, I figured it'd kick ass...

Gonna grab a shower, I've got some more clips I've recorded, just haven't posted yet....

Sorry about your cat, dude. I never really got anyone's love for cats, I'm a dog guy myself, but I do understand the love we hold for our pets. They're a member of the family. Losing one hurts. I had one awesome cat a long time ago. His name was "Little Bit". This dude was a beast. I swear he was part bobcat or something. He weighed a legit 22 pounds without an ounce of fat on him. This guy was jacked. Solid muscle cat, and he was mean to other animals. One day I was watching TV and heard a loud crash. The fucking cat must have seen something interesting outside and he jumped through the window. Literally through the window. Straight through the glass. He was gone. Never saw him again.

My "review" on the Jubilee is strictly my own opinion and experience with it. I knew they were revered in Marshall lore, but I had no preconceived notions. After typing all that, I thought maybe I was too hard on it. Maybe I just don't understand it yet. So I Googled the Jubilee to read other people's reviews and most of them said the same exact things. My findings are in line with the majority of other reviews I read. Harsh, grainy, no bottom end, etc. It's crazy to me that this amp has the reputation that it does. It's not terrible, but it's certainly no holy grail type Marshall. It looks great, and it's a rare collectors item. Slash and Joe Bonermaster are well known for using them. That's great, but it's sound is less than impressive to me.

Back