The New Tone Thread

I think there might be some metal guys that are known for Mesas but I don't listen to metal so I wouldn't know who they are.

Ok, here's a few clips of the "bastard 4x12" with both my amps...it's the same di, re-amped so I could adjust the amp settings while it was playing back...And, instead of typing the amp settings out, I just took a couple pics with my phone...

I can't belive how much louder the DSL is than the Chupa...I mean, I know it's 100 watter, but fuck this thing is LOUD!!!! With the master on "2", the DSL vibrates the whole house, while the Chupa will too in "plexi" mode, I like the hot-rodded modes better, they give me more gain, & that hair-metal sound, but at lower volumes...I will say the Chupa's volume drops off quite a bit from "plexi" to "80's", & then even more in "modern" mode...

On their own, the tracks don't sound all that great IMO, but blended & panned out a little, I think these sounds would work good in a mix...

I'd said before I didn't like the V30 with the Chupacabra, that was probably the ISO cab throwing it off...With the '57 & 4x12, the V30 sounds great to me...

Anyway, lemme know what you think, no eq or anything in the daw, just the raw guitar tracks...The mic placement is the exact same for both amps, I just switched the cable around from amp to amp...

Signal chain:

LP > interface > re-amp box > DSL (100w mode)/Chupa (Modern mode) > V30 > '57

DSL > V30

Chupa > V30

DSL/Chupa > V30 blended

Lemme know what you guys think....I haven't started on the strat yet, plan on doing that this evening after I get my running done...Gotta head out for a while...

That sounds pretty awesome. What's that high resonance going on? String noise or something?

So the Chupa in modern mode with the Master on 8 is the same relative volume as the DSL on 2? That's very odd.

Thanks dude, the A string on my Lester rings out above the nut when I do palm mutes...I've been meaning to put a piece of foam under the strings to keep it from doing that, but just haven't....It took me a while to figure out what the fuck it was...

And, there's a little extra hiss in these tracks, I used the re-amp box, & it adds some hiss...I think it's because the signal coming out of my interface is TRS > XLR, the box converts it to mono...not sure though, but I do know the Radial adds some hiss...I've tried an eq on the di track, and it seems to help some, but I guess it's something I'll have to live with if I'm gonna use the Radial box....

Pretty happy with the "bastard 4x12" dude, thanks for the idea on that one...I'd like to get all 16 ohm speakers put in it though, which it's fine the way it is, but, I'm a picky fucker...lol

I listened to some WGS demos of the ET-65, & I'm seriously un-impressed with it dude...I know you can't really go by YouTube clips, but I listened to a few, & every speaker they compared it to sounded better to me...

I know you've told me they're nothing special, but Scumback speakers are on sale until the 11th of this month for like $130 each...That's about $30 less than the Celestion 65 re-issue...Gonna ponder on it & listen to some more demos...FWIW, I listened to Pete Thorn's Scumback demo (which is about 3 years old now), & about all of 'em he demo'd kick some ass...Lemme know if I'm fuckin' up....hahaha

I don't have any personal experience with Scumback speakers. I've heard clips of them and they sound okay to me. My previous dislike of Scumbacks was because of their owner. I saw some stuff online between him and and another guy and it was really lame the way he was acting. I was like "I'll never buy one of this guy's speakers".

But then I had some interaction with him myself and he was very helpful and seemed pretty cool. He helped me out with a lot of questions and I wasn't even a customer. So that's that. I still probably won't ever buy a Scumback but that's simply because I can get a Celestion for about the same price. My tastes don't vary enough to get into "boutique" speakers. The only speakers on my radar right now are the new Creambacks or some vintage heavy-magnet Blackbacks.

I've heard the WGS 65s in person and thought they sounded good. That was in a JCM 800 combo though. Show me the link where you think they sound bad. Maybe they do. The clips on the WGS site sound good to me.

Thanks dude, I mean it doesn't sound terrible, but the speaker on the other side sounds much better to me...In this clip the ET65 sounds like it's got a blanket over it...

Here's the Scumback demo I was talking about...which this guy makes about anything sound great, but, to me, a couple of these speakers kill dude...They're supposed to be really close to the old, vintage Celestions that you could get....

I'm not defending the ET65, but that clip doesn't do it justice. The Scumback guy obviously went to much greater lengths to make his clips sound very good. And they do. The hillbilly Wayne's World guy doing the WGS clips is a mess. Lol.

Here's a better example of the ET65 IMO.

That's about roughly what a real G12-65 sounds like. It's got a huge dustcap so it's gonna naturally roll off some high end. With a bright amp, like old Marshalls, it's a good speaker. Maybe they're not what you're looking for. They really do fall somewhere between a Greenback and G12T-75.

From my perspective, if you like the Greenback sound, then the Scumbacks are a good choice since that's pretty much what they're all designed to be but with higher power handling. Scumbacks are re-dos of all the classic *color*back Celestions in various magnet weights and cone styles. But they all pretty much sound the same give or take minor differences. A G12-65/ET65 would be a nice alternative classic flavor. Skip the Heritage reissue though. It's gotta be an original G12-65 or WGS ET65. Those are the only two that I know of that pull it off.

Here's 3 clips of my "monster" DSL1-H into my 4x12..:laughings:..Same settings on the amp, same di, only thing different is the speakers...I tried to get 'em all where it sounded the best, but the V30 clip may have been a little dark compared to the others...

I have to say, this little amp is surprisingly loud for 1w, especially through the 4x12...While it doesn't sound as good as the DSL100 (obviously, less power/headroom & only 2 sounds compared to the 100w's 4 modes), I think it sounds pretty damn good for what it is...:).

This is gonna be my low-noise di-recording rig into the ISO cab late at night....Probably use a condensor mic so I won't have to get the amp as loud to get a decent signal...Sure, I could just use ampsims, but I've already got all this shit, so I'm gonna use it...I'd thought about getting rid of the DSL-1H, but I think it's gonna stay....

Signal chain:

LP > interface > re-amp box > DSL-1H > 4x12 > '57

Amp settings:
1w mode
Red Channel
Deep: On
Bass: 5
Mid: 7
Treble: 10
Mid Shift: Off
Volume: 8
Gain: 4

DSL-1 Greenback

DSL-1 V30

DSL-1 T75

Still haven't gotten around to the strat, but I plan on doing that tonight after I get in from work....

Lemme know what you guys think about my 'lil DSL into the 4x12....

Thnaks Lt. Bob, my taste in metal does reach beyong '78 so I douby anything I have will give me an example & I'm not about to get into NWOBHM or beyond. I'll look further in the NOFX as recco'd by Greg.

Here's 3 clips of my "monster" DSL1-H into my 4x12..:laughings:..Same settings on the amp, same di, only thing different is the speakers...I tried to get 'em all where it sounded the best, but the V30 clip may have been a little dark compared to the others...

I have to say, this little amp is surprisingly loud for 1w, especially through the 4x12...While it doesn't sound as good as the DSL100 (obviously, less power/headroom & only 2 sounds compared to the 100w's 4 modes), I think it sounds pretty damn good for what it is...:).

This is gonna be my low-noise di-recording rig into the ISO cab late at night....Probably use a condensor mic so I won't have to get the amp as loud to get a decent signal...Sure, I could just use ampsims, but I've already got all this shit, so I'm gonna use it...I'd thought about getting rid of the DSL-1H, but I think it's gonna stay....

Signal chain:

LP > interface > re-amp box > DSL-1H > 4x12 > '57

Amp settings:
1w mode
Red Channel
Mid: 7
Treble: 10
Volume: 8
Gain: 4

DSL-1 Greenback

DSL-1 V30

DSL-1 T75

Still haven't gotten around to the strat, but I plan on doing that tonight after I get in from work....

Lemme know what you guys think about my 'lil DSL into the 4x12....

Those all sound pretty good to me. Greenback FTW!

Recording from the 4x12 has definitely shown itself to be the better way IMO.

Thanks dude, the Greenback is my favorite speaker...it seems to "like" all my amps, but especially the Chupa...

I'm still on the fence about the ET65, I listened to some more clips last night, & while it's a little darker than most of the speakers it was compared to, it still sounds pretty good...That particular speaker might be just what I need for my big amps, they're both pretty bright, & with the rolled-off highs of the ET65, might be the ticket...Only thing about trying speakers, it gets pretty expensive pretty quick..

That's crazy doing that to an expensive guitar....just fuckin' crazy...I've saw that before, & as much as I like KISS/Ace, it really doesn't interest me very much...would be cool to have on stage though...

I've found a used WGS ET65 for $50....but, the shipping is $30, it's in Canada...so really, I don't know about that deal...I can get a brand new one for $10 more, & will probably go that route instead...might pull the trigger this weekend...

It's just a simple little mod.
ace_smoker_79_back.jpg

Lol...that's fuckin' crazy....

Doing some testing with the ISO cab today (just fuckin' around killing time really...)...I'll post the clips in few minutes...

Ok...as much as I wanted it to work for me, the ISO cab just ain't gonna cut it for real/keeper tracks....doing some testing today with it, while the lid's open, it seems to do pretty good, but when I close the lid, it makes it sound weird, with the hollow sounding mids/low end I'd been struggling with...But, like I've mentioned before, I can still use it with my DSL-1 H for low-noise di recording (I've mentioned I could use ampsims, but it just ain't the same, I play different & it feels different when I use my real amps), but will have to use the 4x12 (or possibly a 1x12 or the ISO cab with the lid open) for my keeper tracks...

Here's 3 different takes of the same riff/recording, exact same settings (other than I flipped the 0.1w switch to see if it made any difference in the tone) on the amp...same mic position, everything....I did add a gain plug-in on the low power track to make the volume as close as I could to the other 2 clips...

Signal chain:

LP (di) > DSL-1 H > T-75 > '57 ISO cab

Amp settings:

Red Channel

Mid: 5
Treble: 8

Volume: 5
Gain: 3

DSL-1 Open ISO cab

DSL-1 Closed ISO cab

DSL-1 low power Closed ISO cab

So, really disappointed with the Randall ISO cab, but, live & learn...It's not the end of the world, as (like I've mentioned 100+ times...lol) that I can still use it to track di's, but for real tracks, it won't be used...In a way, I wish I'd kept the home-made ISO cab, but in reality, that thing was a pain in the ass, & while the results were pretty good, it just wasn't worth fucking with...

Something I've noticed today is the DSL-1's tone is pretty much the same when switching between the 1w & 0.1w modes...I really can't tell any difference between 'em, other than the volume drop, which is actually a good thing for me at night...

Lemme know what you guys think, off to work!!!

Back