The New Tone Thread

It's just something I grew up with - putting logos on fakes that is.
My family was almost dirt poor, (we did have wooden floors though), for some of my childhood & I remember asking my mum to sew a little Levi tag I'd found onto an old old no name denim jacket I had.
She did as asked EXCEPT she used good old scout badge blanket stitching so my quest for unwarranted status was undermined in the cruelst possible way and that taught me a lesson.
The 1st guitar I bought, (a Bruno Royal Artist semi acoustic in 1978), had had the Royal Artist badge removed from the headstock & a fairly good version of a Gibson logo painted on in its stead.
I knew it was bogus because, (as did, I'm sure, the pawn shop dealer though he wasn't letting on), I had a fair idea of Gibson gear and the Made in Japan stamp on the neck bolt plate was a pretty good piece of evidence. I managed to wrangle the guitar for $70 as an imposter, got it home & removed the faux Gibson. It's just one of things with me. A thing is what the thing is.
The amp maker has a good name but it's not Marshall.
There's some irony & non irony in paying for and wearing garments that have the most significant design item as a name, logo or reference to a brand. There's intent, sad &/or fun, in wearing a T shirt that advocates a brand of something or a band, (well a band is a brand). I know MM wouldn't try to flog off the amp as a Marshall & would tell any one that asked it wasn't one which starts the merry go round again.
I know, I'm old & I act it!

It's cool Ray....FWIW, I grew up poor to dude, fuck, I'm still poor, although not as much as a lot of people where I live....actually, compared to those folks, I've got it pretty damn good, but, I work to have it this way....

I do understand what you're sayin' man, & I agree....I too had a similar incident when I was a kid that broke me too....not gonna get into details, but it's pretty much the same thing....

And thanks for letting everyone know I'd never try to pass something off claiming to be something it's not, you're right dude, I'd never do that....:thumbs up: So, thanks again!!!

I'm really excited about the Chupacabra, can't wait until it arrives....I'm just hoping it's gonna be the amp I'm expecting it to be....FWIW, everything that I buy (gear wise) is pretty much a "blind-buy"....There are no music shops around for me to try any of the gear I'm interested in, so I have to go by reviews, word of mouth, & you guys here in these forums...The closest GC is about a 3-4 hour drive, one way for me....That's a big reason I ask for your opinions on a lot of this stuff, because I can't try any of it out to see/hear for myself....

Can't wait 'til the Chupa gets here, & I can't believe I've gotten all this gear in the last few months....I'd been having such a hard time thanks to the wonderful soon to be ex-wife, I barely had fuckin' gas money to get to work & back....It's really funny that I make the same amount of $$$ every week, I pay out pretty much the same amount for bills/whatever, & I still have $$$ leftover...Ok, rant over...LOL....

Gonna hit the sack guys....waiting patiently for the Chupa...pics & clips to come eventually.....:D.

that's cool Ray ....... I can see that ..... things that come from our youth are powerful and stay with us always.

For the record I'd NEVER add a logo to something .... but mostly because it would require effort which I'm against ....... lol .... it's unlikely that I'd even go to that much effort to replace a missing logo on a real Marshall ....... which is just a different facet of the whole thing not computing to me.

I SO don't give a crap about my gear ....... it would be like a bricklayer loving their trowel ...... it's just tools to me.

I grew up poor too btw ..... dad was a bricklayer and we had nothing 'till I was a teenager and he started his own company.
I'm also old so we're right there together mang.

My real re-issue plexi doesn't have the logo and I can't be arsed to replace it. Says Marshall where it counts.
Lou!!

How's it hangin' man!

Yeah, that's me too ...... I don't care about such things even a tiny bit.

But I DO understand those who do care since there was a time, of course, when I cared a lot.
I wouldn't have had so much equipment if I hadn't.
I have no idea how much stuff I've had but more than many music stores ..... prolly 2-3 hundred guitars .... maybe 150 amps ...... untold numbers of other things.

I get Premier Guitar magazine which I think is the best and they just focus on gear with a lot of features about old rare guitars and amps.

EVERY single one of them I go, "Well crap ...... I had one of those!"
:D

Waiting patiently for the new amp...NOT!!! :laughings:....thought the Paypal thing would take a few days to go through, but it went through already...So, as soon as the guys sends it my way, guessing about 3 days for shipping, it'll be here....Should have it by next weekend, as long as the guy doesn't wait until the middle of next week to ship it....

Really fuckin' excited about this one guys, I know I keep sayin' that, but I've been wanting an amp like this for years...

Pics & clips to come....:D.

The seller contacted me this morning, & said he'd ship it out Monday, so I'm guessing it'll be here around Wednesday or Thursday of next week...

I also found a 2012 Gibson LP Studio on Craig's List locally that I've offered some of the gear I'm not using for trade, but haven't heard back from that guy....:).

There's also some "pointy" guitars locally, but none of 'em are really anything I'd want...

But, the Chupa will be here next week....:cool:

The seller contacted me this morning, & said he'd ship it out Monday, so I'm guessing it'll be here around Wednesday or Thursday of next week...

I also found a 2012 Gibson LP Studio on Craig's List locally that I've offered some of the gear I'm not using for trade, but haven't heard back from that guy....:).

There's also some "pointy" guitars locally, but none of 'em are really anything I'd want...

But, the Chupa will be here next week....:cool:

Just say NO! to pointy guitars!

Hey here's some anti-Greg low volume tone. I have the Det/Bal baseball game on TV, so I set the volume of the JVM to roughly match the volume of my TV at a comfortable level. The JVM is the only amp in my arsenal that will do anything even close to sounding halfway decent at TV volume. I still don't really like it.

Gibson Angus SG - Angus sig bridge pickup
Marshall JVM410 - OD1 channel - orange mode
Presence - 4
Bass - 4
Mid - 5
Treb - 6.5
Gain - 2
Ch vol - 1.5
Master vol - 1
1960 4x12 - Greenback - Audix i5 halfway to edge, on axis, on grill
TC Electronic Flashback Delay in fx loop for second half of clip
No EQ or nuthin in DAW

Water Pistols and Dandelions

Just say NO! to pointy guitars!

Yes, please keep saying NO to pointy guitars! :thumbs up:

Here's one on my many "pointy" guitars in my collection, a fine Charvel Model 2 formally owned by the band "Blackfoot". :guitar:

11988CharvelM1Blackfootc_zpsfcdc6ffd.jpg

Stinnet guitars are made for self defence in rowdy clubs aren't they?
Play power chord, thrust, disembowel, disengage, next chord.

The delay sounded as UNGREG as I've heard.
The tone eats my gear for little lunch but isn't a patch on your monsters at "normal" volume.

Cool Greg, sounds about like it should to me, it's missing the "oomph" though, but really, in a mix, it would probably work ok....The delay is "anti-Greg" dude, LOL....But, I like it, sounds pretty good IMO....

Dunno about any of the "pointy" guitars locally, they're nothing special really, so I'll pass on 'em....There is one specific guitar I'd love to have again, a Kramer Nightswan, I had one years ago, & sold the damn thing like an idiot...It was all original, with the lightning bolt graphics, original Floyd Rose, Duncan JB in the middle position, & a Duncan Full Shred in the bridge....Loved it, just went through a pretty rough time in my life, & sold it....The last one I saw on Fleabay was listed for about $2500....I'd never pay that for one, but if I ever found one in decent condition, & the price wasn't outrageous, I'd probably buy it.....

Nice Charvel WaveWarrior, that's something I could handle there, the guitars I was referring to locally are Jackson V's, & BC Rich stuff, which doesn't interest me at all....

Off 'til Monday, so I'm gonna try to upload some clips of the DSL sometime this weekend, maybe that'll keep me at bay until the Ceriatone arrives....can't wait!!!!

Dunno about any of the "pointy" guitars locally, they're nothing special really, so I'll pass on 'em....There is one specific guitar I'd love to have again, a Kramer Nightswan, I had one years ago, & sold the damn thing like an idiot...It was all original, with the lightning bolt graphics, original Floyd Rose, Duncan JB in the middle position, & a Duncan Full Shred in the bridge....Loved it, just went through a pretty rough time in my life, & sold it....The last one I saw on Fleabay was listed for about $2500....I'd never pay that for one, but if I ever found one in decent condition, & the price wasn't outrageous, I'd probably buy it.....

Nice Charvel WaveWarrior, that's something I could handle there, the guitars I was referring to locally are Jackson V's, & BC Rich stuff, which doesn't interest me at all....

Thanks MinerMan, its hard to beat an “1986-1988 Model Series” Charvel for any kind of hard rock guitar work. Nice 12 to 16 compound radius necks, jumbo’s, usually very simple & effective layouts and nice Jackson USA pups.

Had a few Kramers from back in the day and sold them all around 2005 when the prices got pretty crazy. They’re nice guitars, but in my opinion they’re not worth what people are paying for them now.

I had a white Nightswan, red Baretta, black Pacer and a flip-flop purple/pink Paul Dean neck thru. The Dean & the Swan had the best tone, being mahogany bodies, maybe a slight edge to the Dean for the nicer sustain because the neck thru design. If one fell into my lap very cheap, I might consider another one someday, but I honestly feel the Charvel’s are better guitars.

If you’re into the market for a newer Charvel shredder, check out the Pro-Mod San Dimas & SoCal’s.

12010CharvelProModSanDimasb_zps11a58ad0.jpg

They have standard Strat headstocks, but everything about them is built for speed & tone. There’s the USA line (which are very nice and not too high priced), but don’t overlook the older Japanese versions because many people actually prefer the fret work on the MIJ necks. The new Mexico versions are really nice too. I've played the USA, Japan & Mexico versions of these and they’re all very close.

One of the most smoking deals for a brand new shredder has got to be the new Jackson Adrian Smith SDX.

Who knows where they’re really made at, but they can be had brand new for like $400. I played one 2 weeks ago at GC and the neck felt a lot like my San Dimas. The one with rosewood neck was especially nice, with rolled edges and great looking abalone dot inlays.

The hardware on it wasn’t the greatest and the Floyd Special would need to be swapped out too, but the pups didn’t sound too bad at all. It’s a pretty good deal for anyone that wants a good basic metal guitar foundation and doesn’t mind a few upgrades. They’re top mounted Floyds, so the much better quality Gotoh units drop right in. :thumbs up:

Sorry about the long post :guitar:

The delay sounded as UNGREG as I've heard.
The tone eats my gear for little lunch but isn't a patch on your monsters at "normal" volume.

Lol. I really have no idea what any of that means. :laughings:

---------- Update ----------

Cool Greg, sounds about like it should to me, it's missing the "oomph" though, but really, in a mix, it would probably work ok....The delay is "anti-Greg" dude, LOL....But, I like it, sounds pretty good IMO....

I guess it's okay, but I'm really not liking it. It was just for fun. I'd never record a real track like that.

Just messing around with the DSL100 today, so here's another shitty clip for you guys....

Shit Clip 10-4-2014

LP > SD-1 > DSL100 > ISO Cab w/Greenback > '57

100w mode
OD 1
Resonance: 10
Presence: 6
Bass: 10
Mid: 5
Treble: 6.5
Gain: 2
Volume: 4

SD-1:
Level: 10
Tone: 4-5
Drive: 0

Wasn't going for any particular sound, just fucking around really, used the SD-1 as a clean boost at times in this clip, it's not on all the time, but you can definitely hear when it is...I had the gain on OD1 set pretty low so it would clean up with the guitar vol rolled back and/or lighter playing....Seems to work pretty good. The DSL doesn't have the dynamics other amps I've heard, but, for me, it's pretty good...It's a very bright amp, but that's ok, it can be tamed via the on-board eq, mic placement, etc...The SD-1 works great with this amp as a clean boost too, I can't get the Bogner pedal to sound decent at all using it as a clean boost, but it's really made to run through a clean amp anyway....

All in all, I'm pretty happy with the DSL100, but it still doesn't have "that" sound that I'm after, but....

The guy who sold me the Chupacabra e-mailed me today, & he shipped it out this morning, so I'll have it a day earlier than I expected, which actually made my day...:D....The tracking # won't show probably until Monday, but I'm guessing it'll be here around Wednesday or Thursday....Pretty excited to say the least!!!!

Gonna get a shower & head down to the park here in "town" LOL....There's gonna be about 3-4 local bands playing today, so I'm gonna go check 'em out....

Back