Tascam US-800 vs. M-Audio Fast Track Pro

Shimada

Hey guys,

Total newbie here trying to get a decent audio interface on a budget. I'm torn between a Tascam US800 and the M-Audio Fast Track Pro. On first glance Tascam seems like the obvious choice, but the Fast Track Pro is more expensive. I was wondering if the M-Audio Interface sounds better, or if there is another reason for it to be costlier. If you guys have another suggestion in a similar price range i'm totally up for suggestions. Thank you all

Maudio is probably more expensive cos AVID got their hands on it.

It doesn't get reviewed well as often as the tascam around here.

The recent word is the Tascam will not work with W7.

Yeah their have been a couple reports from guys using W7 and having problems..but then the other day, someone chimed in, and said they have`nt had any probems at all using the Tuscam us-800 with W7..so i really do not know what to think at this point?

this guy just posted about 30 minutes ago, that he`s also running W7 and not having any problems..so that`s two people in the last couple days, saying they have`nt had any problems running W7 with the us-800...
post #54
https://homerecording.com/bbs/user-forums-brand/tascam-user-forum/tascam-us-800-a-335704/6/

After a very thorough session of researching other threads and forums, I've decided to give up on the US-800. It seems that the grand majority is having issues with the US-800 and the 64bit W7. You guys have any suggestions on other products with similar characteristics?

After a very thorough session of researching other threads and forums, I've decided to give up on the US-800. It seems that the grand majority is having issues with the US-800 and the 64bit W7. You guys have any suggestions on other products with similar characteristics?

I can`t honestly say that I blame ya for not going with the Tuscam us-800..

but I just wish someone who is very slick, and really knows computors and their way around W7, could give it a whirl with the us-800, so we could once and for all find out if infact the us-800 is a flop with W7 or not...I just don`t get why some W7 users report no problems, but others do..
I mean W7 is W7 period..their is no varying versions..so if its ever worked on a system running W7, then in theory anyway, it "should" work on all systems running W7..

it`s just odd, and it`d really be nice to be able to find out with absolute certainty whats going on, and finally put this issue to bed..

anyway, good luck wth your choice whatever it may be, and happy recordings..LOL

Ok, I'm tired of hearing about it. Just ordered a US800 to test. I'll see if I can reproduce problems people are having. I am going to bet I find simple setup issues. What am I saying, I just bet $99 on it. lol!

There will be a US 800 for sale on this forum soon. :D

And I have both W7-32, and W7-64 Desktops to test, as well as Vista and XP lappy's.

Ok, I'm tired of hearing about it. Just ordered a US800 to test. I'll see if I can reproduce problems people are having. I am going to bet I find simple setup issues. What am I saying, I just bet $99 on it. lol!

And I have both W7-32, and W7-64 Desktops to test, as well as Vista and XP lappy's.

now were talk`in..ca`t wait to hear the results!!!!

I wonder if it is not a DAW problem these people are having? Like trying to run 32-bit Reaper in W7-64bit?

Like I said, I think it is just users not paying attention. I heard the same thing for other inexpensive units like the Lexicon Alpha. Tons of smearing due to users not knowing the appropriate steps in setting up. Hell, I might have been one of them! lol!

I am curious though, is there a problem running 32-bit Reaper in W7-64? I run 32-bit Cubase in W7-64 all day. :confused:

jimmy..just buy one of everything, then give us the grand poo baa run down...LOl/kidding..

really though I do apreciate you doing this, and hope others do as well..I`m not sure how long the last of the US-800`s are going to be available, but it would be nice to know if one should recomend it or not depending on whoever`s OS..

LOL! I would if I could!

Not long I'm sure, but at least I'll be confident in who to recommend to sell mine to right? :D

Finally, we'll have some information from our personal Tascam salesman! :P

I was really close to getting a US-800, and would have let y'all know if it worked on 64-bit Win7, but instead I got a great deal on a US-1641.

On a side note about possible issues, I was having issues installing the US-1641 driver on my laptop (after it worked fine on my desktop), but found that my USB cable had just gone bad! I even reinstalled Windows before grabbing a different cable... For anyone curious, the US-1641 works with Windows 2008 R2.

I recently got the Tascam US800 and I really like it. I can't put in any word with how it works on W7, but I can tell you that it gets the job done. If it does end up working on W7 I would definitely go with tascam. The US800 has been going for just $100, but I believe that's just because it's going out of production. It's really worth more than $100. Amazon says that it's normal price is $250 and that it's list price is $370 (not that that means much because no one listens to the list price :D), but I think tascam is definitely the way to go here. Besides Tascam has more inputs, and I got it with free Cubase LE 5 :) that's my 2 cents.

Like I said, I think it is just users not paying attention. I heard the same thing for other inexpensive units like the Lexicon Alpha. Tons of smearing due to users not knowing the appropriate steps in setting up. Hell, I might have been one of them! lol!

I am curious though, is there a problem running 32-bit Reaper in W7-64? I run 32-bit Cubase in W7-64 all day. :confused:

yeah i run maschine and ableton as 32bit in win7 64???

I haven't bothered to try 32-bit Reaper on 64-bit Windows because there is a 64-bit version of Reaper available anyway... I don't think there should be any problems with the 32-bit version though...

Back