Studio Projects T3

blue4u

well that's just like you
Who has this mic (studio projects T3)? I'm curious what mods are available for it that any of you may have tried and been happy with. Also, what preamps have you found to sound good with it? Finally, has anyone here swapped out the tube with something else and had good results? Are you happy with the mic overall?

The T3 has good clarity and is fairly transparent with a definite "tube" vibe. What I don't like is the hyped high end around 5k. If anyone owns this mic please let me know if you have found a fix for this with a mod or new tube.

Thanks!
Rich

I have a T3 and use it on vox regularly. I like it for my voice and most others unless the singer has a large dynamic range. I also use it quite often for a room mic out from the acoustic guitar and mandolin by about 4 feet. I have not modded mine yet but kidvybes has swapped the tube in his and reports good results. This is what he sent me a while back........

"replace the stock Chinese tube with an NOS GE 6072 tube...they run any where from $10 to $25 but are well worth the cost...the swapout is simple...when you swap the tube, be sure to wipe the pins of the NOS tube with a conductive/cleaner (you can get at Radio Shack)...that will ensure that the vintage tube will perform well by optimizing the connections.."

Perhaps he will want to chime in with more info though. Hope this helps.;)

I've put a NOS GE JAN 6072a. in my T3. Still has some of the 5k hype but overall a nice improvement. I understand the new T3's have some transformer and diaphram improvements.

I got some 6072a's from a guy on ebay. All GE nos JAN tubes. I think I paid about $100 for four of them. That tube has been a plus in any mic I put them in. So far that's the T3, V77s, AA mod mic and now the 6802.

I can't fault my T3 either as a vocal mic or in an M-S configuration on acoustic guitar. I know Harvey has always expressed a "fondness" for it as well.

Zbert, do you recall where those "improvements" were mentioned?

Additionally, I know that more recently, Brent Casey has been trying out different transformers (ask Harvey about that as he has one for beta testing) and some different tubes, the catch there is that what Brent's ears hear may be different to what some one else's ears hear ;)

:cool:

I can't fault my T3 either as a vocal mic or in an M-S configuration on acoustic guitar. I know Harvey has always expressed a "fondness" for it as well.

Zbert, do you recall where those "improvements" were mentioned?

Additionally, I know that more recently, Brent Casey has been trying out different transformers (ask Harvey about that as he has one for beta testing) and some different tubes, the catch there is that what Brent's ears hear may be different to what some one else's ears hear ;)

I saw the improvements mentioned on one of these fourms.
https://homerecording.com/bbs/showthread.php?t=248421
Posts 22 and 23

This is probably a stupid question, but how do actually replace the tube in the T-3?
Is it plug and ply thing or do you have to desolder it?

How does the mic come apart?
I have been a little chicken to take mine apart, but I would like to make the tube swap if it isn't brain surgery.

i have theT##3 ...i use it for voice and e.guitar..I haven't change the tube yet.It sounds good going thru my VC1q and my Peavy vMP2 TUBE PRE

I saw the improvements mentioned on one of these fourms.
https://homerecording.com/bbs/showthread.php?t=248421
Posts 22 and 23

Ahha..........in those posts PhilGood mentioned "new series" capsules and somewhere in another thread he had refered to there now being a 3 micron cap in the T3 but nowhere in SP's specs is there any mention of that, the advertised specs always have stipulated 6 micron. Harvey's comment there refers to the beta testing I mentioned earlier.

More recently, I've had a number of communications (both email and phone) with Brent Casey about the T3 and while we "discussed" transformers and tubes, there was no mention of any other mods...........obviously, he may have tried other things but I'm not aware of it. I do know that...... 1) they are considering their options regarding upgraded transformers for future T3's but I don't think there's been any definite decision made, and 2) Brent's tube of choice is, (or was) not the 6072, although I can't exactly remember what he said he liked.

Realistically, PMI have their hands full with new product development, etc., so I don't know that upgrading current mics is overly high on their list of priorites.

Another happy T-3 user. I got mine used from someone on this site at a real bargain, swapped the tube with the NOS tube mentioned above, and it's a keeper. Because I got it so cheap, I have tried several times to retire this mic for something better (more expensive), only to come back to it. Most recently purchased a "hot brand name" mic for $1500, but sold it soon after because the T-3 is just that good for my voice.

I have used it with RNP, DAV BG-1, and A-Designs P-1 with good results. My favorite pre with the T-3 is the P-1.

Good luck!!

Charlie

Awesome! Thanks guys and glad to hear you are getting good results. I like it too. Just don't understand why they hyped the high end when it clearly wasn't necessary. Perhaps this was a compromise made with the design? Or, was it intended? That said, it handles the high end very well and hasn't been brittle yet. I do like it better on a female voice though...

Rich

my thinking is that the T-3 lends itself good with a more mellow tune.Not something like Led Zepplin rock type vocal.But i'm not sure if i'm right.It does have a britnesss but it has a fullness that make s it kinda mellow

It could be interesting to know the kind of signal chain people are using and what exactly are they recording, especially in regard to the claims of 5k hyping.

Ahha..........in those posts PhilGood mentioned "new series" capsules and somewhere in another thread he had refered to there now being a 3 micron cap in the T3 but nowhere in SP's specs is there any mention of that, the advertised specs always have stipulated 6 micron. Harvey's comment there refers to the beta testing I mentioned earlier.

More recently, I've had a number of communications (both email and phone) with Brent Casey about the T3 and while we "discussed" transformers and tubes, there was no mention of any other mods...........obviously, he may have tried other things but I'm not aware of it. I do know that...... 1) they are considering their options regarding upgraded transformers for future T3's but I don't think there's been any definite decision made, and 2) Brent's tube of choice is, (or was) not the 6072, although I can't exactly remember what he said he liked.

Realistically, PMI have their hands full with new product development, etc., so I don't know that upgrading current mics is overly high on their list of priorites.

The only reason I thought the T3 had 3 micron capsules was because I had received some dual sided 3 micron capsules from Brent and had used them in some mic builds I was doing. I made the assumption those were the same capsules, but they turned out to be some of the capsules supplied for testing (similar to the MXL 2003, but dual sided). The T3 does in fact use 6 micron.

However, I did receive some of the new 6 micron capsules from Brent, with the new (pinkish) retainer ring and they sound really, really good!

I believe those are being used in the new models. They are well tuned and sound much better that what 797 has offered in the past.

Phil,

Thanks for the clarification. I think Alan, Brent and Co., are tied up with NAMM at the moment but I'll be trying to get more info from BC once the NAMM dust settles.

Cheers,

ChrisO :cool:

Thanks again guys! What about preamps? Any favs with this mic?

Also, someone mentioned that it's not the best mic for rock or, shouting singers. I would agree. It's almost too clean and bright for big vox. Not that it can't be made to work though (any EQ tips??) For verse parts and quiet singing this mic is wonderful (phenomenal even) at this price point.

Rich

Back