Struggling with getting good mixes :(

i like the idea of mixing in headphones because it takes the room & monitors out of the equasion but always heard it was a no-no to mix in headphones...

Not necessarily. There are some pretty darn good flat headphones these days, and will beat mixing in an untreated room with many problems hands down. My room is actually treated pretty well, and I still mix on phones at night, and when I cue up in the monitors the next morning it isn't too far off. Whichever way you choose, good luck to you!

Not necessarily. There are some pretty darn good flat headphones these days, and will beat mixing in an untreated room with many problems hands down. My room is actually treated pretty well, and I still mix on phones at night, and when I cue up in the monitors the next morning it isn't too far off. Whichever way you choose, good luck to you!

ok i'm willing to give it a shot :) any headphones you suggest?

If you have a graphic EQ, I suggest you try using it as an ear training tool. Listen to your favorite CDs, along with a few from genres you don't normally listen to, while sitting there with your EQ, sliding one fader up and down at a time, listening to how that frequency affects the sound, what it does to each instrument in the mix, etc. Do this for an hour a night for a week or two and see where you are. Before too long you should be able to give the EQ to your friend, pop in a new CD you have not practiced with before, and have him move the sliders without you seeing which ones he moves while you guess which ones he's moving. You may not get them all exactly right, especially on a 31-band, but you should start to get close at least after a while.

This will help you in at least two ways; not only will it help train your ears for the various frequencies and what they mean to the music and your various playback systems, but it will also help your ears build and hone their critical/analytical listening skills in general; i.e. they'll help your ears to learn how to listen beyond just the music itself and to listen to technical detail as well. That'll get you halfway home at least to having the ears to mix music.Another common newb issue. There's threads all over this BBS talking abot that, including an applet on my website, but here's the simple answer: it's awfully damn hard to record or mix at levels "too low", but it's incredibly easy to record and mix at levels "too high". When in doubt, turn it down.

G.

ok glen thanks i will def have to buy an eq :)

can the same of similar effect be achived with plug in parametric eq's? (like the article about parametric sweep on your site)

can the same of similar effect be achived with plug in parametric eq's? (like the article about parametric sweep on your site)
If you're talking about the ear practice bit, yeah, there's nothing wrong with using a plug for that. I only recommended the iron because it sounded like you may have already had one. My mistake.

If you use a parametric for the practice though, be careful to sweep to a new center frequency and hold it there for a while as if you were switching to a new graphic EQ band, Just sweeping through frequencies, while good for that sweep method of finding "honkers", isn't always the best way to hear the nature of the frequency itself.

G.

It is really upsetting to me that you all naturally assumed that I was a salesperson for little major. I have never met the guys at little major, nor do I have any business relationship with them. I merely found them online and thought they offered a logical and practical service for you. Frankly, I could care less who you use.

I remember working with the head engineer at Avatar Studios in manhattan a few years back. We had just left the studio after sessions with Eric Clapton and Mary J Blige. We went back to his place to do some work in his home studio, and were discussing the very technique that these guys have been preaching to you. "A/B between your monitors and comp speakers, then burn a disc and listen to it in your car, take notes, make a few more tweaks and burn another disc." It is funny to me because I did the same thing when I started out.

I abandoned that technique when I started working in real studios because it is just not something those guys did. They mixed on the studio monitors focussing on the characteristics that made the music sound good in that environment. Then they let the mastering engineer worry about making it sound congruent on consumer speakers.

I think it is hilarious that these guys think they can master with some comp speakers and a car stereo. Oh well. Good luck with that.

Well I apologize if I read you wrong but to be honest the first thing you mentioned, despite having never heard my mixes, was that I just need to pay for a service and that everything would be ok.

However given the details of my situation and the resulting mixes I can tell you for a fact that these mixes are off. Not as bad as some mixes I’ve heard but off.

having recorded as a musician in decent sized studios for years, having friends tour and record in studios, and having worked with legitimate full time audio engineers (from enterprise/Henson studios among others) I know that tracks can sound great without being mastered. Maybe not without the right gear and techniques but mastering isn't going to fix a bad mix.

I don't assume that I will master my own material as I don't have the equipment or skill set to do so, however, that doesn't really apply to songs I’m recording with DI GTR/Bass and EZDrummer samples. These mixes are intended to be decent enough to get my scratch ideas across in a way that doesn't sound totally shitty.

The engineers you describe in major studios prolly are so familiar with mixing and recording on those monitors that they know exactly how to mix with whatever inherent deficiencies those monitors of choice have.

prolly because they already passed the stage of "learning" the monitors. However these guys are working in a completely different environment than me.

Treated/equalized rooms, full mixing desk, outboard gear, real mics and pre's, RTA/spectroscope, Protools HD (w/latency comp), expensive monitors, etc...

I’m in my bedroom with an 002 and a DI.... don't think mastering is the real problem here ;)

I abandoned that technique when I started working in real studios because it is just not something those guys did. They mixed on the studio monitors focussing on the characteristics that made the music sound good in that environment. Then they let the mastering engineer worry about making it sound congruent on consumer speakers.

I think it is hilarious that these guys think they can master with some comp speakers and a car stereo. Oh well. Good luck with that.

Im sure in the "real studio" it is hooked up to the gills with great acoustics, and great monitors.

why do you keep talking about mastering Johnson?

Did you read the OP?

I'm impressed with the people you have worked with - but it seems very off topic - what was the point of all that.

I am by no means suggesting that mastering will solve all of the recording's problems. I just think it would help to hear the difference it makes.

Yes, you are suggesting that, and it's absurd. This IS a mixing problem, starting with his mixing environment. Even talking about mastering at this point is absolutely ludicrous.

Personally, I think you have a personal stake of some kind in that mastering company you keep shilling for.

Yes, you are suggesting that, and it's absurd. This IS a mixing problem, starting with his mixing environment. Even talking about mastering at this point is absolutely ludicrous.

Personally, I think you have a personal stake of some kind in that mastering company you keep shilling for.

+10 precisely!!!!

Jason go spam somewhere else ok :)

Making a record sound congruent on different speakers and in different listening environments is a primary objective during the mastering phase.
Only when the mix engineer or producer is incompetent. If a mix comes out of mixing untranslatable to the outside world, it's a lousy mix that should not yet be considered ready for mastering.

G.

Hi all, I was going to post a new thread about these issues, anyway, I have the same Rockit5 with Tascam FW1884... I'm quite happy myself with my mixed except when I listen them on home/car stereo the bass sound are more than I expected to soundlike, to solves these problems, I came up with these three options to use them in mixing and mastering use: (a) buy a decent home stereo amplifier system with using sm pro nano patch (b) use a preamps for monitoring eg. equlizer,reverb..etc (c) add a subwoofer Would my timid ideas helps? Please share if have others in mind.

I am a hobbyist( becoming semi-pro maybe) who is not in need of paying others for mixing or mastering with my music ( except sharing ideas,experience of course..), cos I want to learn from my experience and enjoyment of music. Where would I be without homerecording forums, it's always been my best partner when it come to solving problems. Have fun with your music.Thanks

Last edited:
Update

So I’ve tried a few things since the beginning of this thread....

I bought a JBL MSC1 to attempt to do some type of automated room correction and for the life of me couldn't get it to work properly. In JBL's defense I think the one I had received was defective, but either way the software was clunky. Also this product doesn't recognize a Digi 002 as an audio device no matter what work arounds I tried. I ended up returning the device and shopping for headphones instead.

So then I put several headphones under $200 to the test including, beyerdynamic dt 770, sennheiser hd 380 pro, akg k240, and the audio technica ath-m50.

I ended up buying the sennheiser hd 380 pro, feeling that they represented the most clear and balanced sound with the widest range and best isolation. The beyerdynamics were a close second with balance and clarity but the isolation and range were missing. The AKG's were all hyped mids and had almost no isolation. The audio technica's were cool offering similar isolation and range to the 380's but seemed to have hyped mids and harsh highs by comparison.

One of the main things I noticed about the 380's is that I can hear all sorts of things I’ve never heard clearly before in mixes listening through conventional speakers and cheap headphones. The difference in clarity is astounding, and it seems the mids and highs are clearer without harshness I noticed in the other headphones (Beyer excluded).

After the last few days of listening to also sorts of different music through them I started to notice a lot of depth/reverb/spatial effects in mixes I had never really heard before. I can hear editing mistakes, pick scratches, and almost the character of the "room" the instrument was recorded in. my understanding of mixing has completely changed.

when I listened to my mixes I started noticing that I was pushing the tracks to hard and had almost everything kinda cranked (almost to the point of output clipping pre master fader). After hearing the "distance" certain instruments had in a professional mix restarted my mix from scratch. I began pulling up the drums at a much lower level than before and mixed the drums (which are samples) to sound further away. More like I was in a big room or hall with them. This is a sharp contrast to trying to get the drums to sound as loud and punchy as possible (my previous mixing goal). Once these newly lower volume drum tracks were rough mixed I began adding in bass which I compressed and eq'd a bit. I used glen's parametric eq sweeping technique to find a frequency where the bass would ring somewhat excessively and I cut there about 5db and widened the Q from 8-10 to about 5-7. Additionally I boosted the 80-300 Hz range to get a bit more low-end. after all this I was surprised at how much the bass stood out in the mix (because it always seemed to be fighting for space before and now it seems clear and easy to hear). Now I had too much bass and was surprised at how much I could turn it down and have it still be clearly audible. Adding guitars back into the equation was a similar affair.

All in all I feel like I’m making progress with my critical listening and mixing. Now I’m starting to think my biggest mistake was mixing too loud and that my resulting mixes lacked depth, dimension, and clarity primarily because of that.

One other question I have for the "gallery" is.... do you mix with master buss compression and if so how?

It's encouraging that you feel you're making progress. Threads like this where we can see your journey are really helpful.

One other question I have for the "gallery" is.... do you mix with master buss compression and if so how?
This is a matter of personal mixing style; good mixes can be done successfully with or without it, depending upon how the individual engineer is used to doing it.

For me personally, I never throw anything on the master buss while mixing - I don't even play with the master buss gain, let alone add any buss processing. I prefer to hear the mix for itself and mix it on its own merits, and worry about what is done to the mixdown after the mix is done. But not everybody does it like that.

G.

i'm not entirely sure what my style is yet, considering my results so far i'm willing to try anything :D

i have read a few articles over the years that said andy wallace and other engineers believe that it's easier to get tracks to "sit" well in mixes quickly with compression on the master buss. as well a friend on mine who is a successful engineer always uses outboard buss compression and convinced me to buy an outboard 2-channel compressor.

everytime i've tried to use it though i am constantly adjusting it not really knowing exactly what i'm trying to achieve with it. i assume based on my limited knowledge of compression that i'm trying to reduce the dynamics of the overall mix in order to push the loudness, in something that seems to me akin to mastering.

however i don't think this is proper usage and i guess my main question is....

when using buss compression during mixing what are good starting settings/effects to look for traditionally?

(obviously this will differ based on the content and its initial recording levels, however i'm assuming ideal -18dbFS signals across the board).

inline with what glen said eariler in this thread and other material i have read since i think that i will definitely have to treat my room.

and even though eq can correct for some anomalies it is only a band-aid solution that would work in a finite/small corrected "zone".

plus i'm headphones have already taught me so much :D

BTW, just wanted to add that you can create great mixes with softsynths, softsamplers, and sampled drums. If you couldn't, then well, none of the current electronica would be possible :)

inline with what glen said eariler in this thread and other material i have read since i think that i will definitely have to treat my room.

and even though eq can correct for some anomalies it is only a band-aid solution that would work in a finite/small corrected "zone".

plus i'm headphones have already taught me so much :D
Yeah, I'd take really awesome headphones over crappy room acoustics any time :)

Back