Some thoughts on digital recording

By the way... topics like this are the only thing keeping these interest-specific forums alive and preventing the total domination of social networking by facebook! On firearms forums its 9mm vs. 40mm or 45 cal. On motorcycle forums its Honda vs. Harley. Some forums have literally gone under because overzealous moderators tried to put these fires out. Everyone complains about this topic, but look at the hits compared to other topics! Trust me! Let it burn! :)
It's like Ali vs. Frazier. They're both great but you have to hate at least one of them. :D

Everyone complains about this topic, but look at the hits compared to other topics! Trust me! Let it burn! :)

LOL, agreed. From my Wisdoms page:

"Common etiquette says not to talk about politics, sex, religion, or money. But these are the most interesting things to discuss!"

:D

--Ethan

At any certain times, the human ear can hear the range of 20Hz to 20kHz, however the ear can only hear those extreme frequencies half of the time, AND only when you are born. So slap your mixed being butchered into the 128kb mp3 realm of psycho acoustics... I like how the argument is the human brain processes above 20Khz.....But it only EVER gets 20kHz information. Just nonsense and wasted data at that point. 44.1Khz really is no different than 88k, since 44.1 was good for ten years. Its a way to sell you more hard or software.... Why do people troll this nonsense, like monster cables... Get starquad!

At any certain times, the human ear can hear the range of 20Hz to 20kHz, however the ear can only hear those extreme frequencies half of the time, AND only when you are born. So slap your mixed being butchered into the 128kb mp3 realm of psycho acoustics... I like how the argument is the human brain processes above 20Khz.....But it only EVER gets 20kHz information. Just nonsense and wasted data at that point. 44.1Khz really is no different than 88k, since 44.1 was good for ten years. Its a way to sell you more hard or software.... Why do people troll this nonsense, like monster cables... Get starquad!

Yes - you get a full frequency response up to 20kHz with a 44.1 or 48kHz sampling frequency.

But - the reason for going to 88.2 or 96kHz was so that you did not have to have brick-wall filters at 20kHz, but could use gentle filters that did not cause problems at lower frequencies.

The reason for 88.2/96kHz was purely for having the better gentle roll-off filters, rather than having to have a brick-wall.

That's why I use 88.2/96kHz.

24-bit was so you do not have to drive everything so hard and you have plenty of safety headroom for your DAW.

And, yes, I totally agree with you about cables.

Yes - you get a full frequency response up to 20kHz with a 44.1 or 48kHz sampling frequency.

But - the reason for going to 88.2 or 96kHz was so that you did not have to have brick-wall filters at 20kHz, but could use gentle filters that did not cause problems at lower frequencies.

The reason for 88.2/96kHz was purely for having the better gentle roll-off filters, rather than having to have a brick-wall.

That's why I use 88.2/96kHz.

24-bit was so you do not have to drive everything so hard and you have plenty of safety headroom for your DAW.

And, yes, I totally agree with you about cables.

Isn't this why modern ADCs use oversampling?

Back