Some thoughts on digital recording

Thanks for that. I'm not pouncing on you. Is what you're saying making sense to me? I don't know, I don't really read your posts. I just skim. I couldn't care less about sample rates. I'm not really interested in these dead horse beating "discussions" that go nowhere and I wish they wouldn't happen. You guys don't "discuss" anything. You don't openly exchange ideas with the intention of learning or understanding. This is nothing more than an internet dick measuring contest. I do find the sideshow entertaining though. I feel that you exhibit the same defensive tendencies that many others in here exhibit. You say something, someone disagrees, you get your feelings hurt, and then launch a trollish passive-aggressive attack looking for redemption. It happens all the time. You "shared" your thoughts hoping for a response and a fight. That much is very obvious. Good luck with that.
That was perfect. Maybe a little too polite. :D

You guys are way too ready to pounce on people
Hehe....OH, the irony....again.....:rolleyes:

You start a thread on a subject that's been beaten to death and is obviously polarizing (to those of you who like to hear yourselves talk), get corrected on just about everything you said, and you call that being pounced on? Hilarious.

Good luck, thread. I'll miss you. :)

That was perfect. Maybe a little too polite. :D

Hehe....OH, the irony....again.....:rolleyes:

You start a thread on a subject that's been beaten to death and is obviously polarizing (to those of you who like to hear yourselves talk), get corrected on just about everything you said, and you call that being pounced on? Hilarious.

Good luck, thread. I'll miss you. :)

Wow. I didn't start the thread wanting a fight at all. It was merely MY OPINIONS ON THE MATTER. I wasn't talking about Ethan, either. He's got some valid points but until I or anyone disagreeing with him comes to the table with scientific proof, it seems that the discussion is moot. I don't have scientific proof so in this case, I guess I'm beat. You and Greg just seem to stand in the background shouting irony and cynicism. Nice one.

Simply put, you guys just seem way too cool for school.

If you don't like what I have to say, sure, that's fine. You're welcome to respond and bring your point to the table. But I guess, after 12,000 posts you must be an audio god of sorts. WOW. I'm really impressed.

Anyway.

I never intended my OP to be taken this way. I merely was hoping for a discussion on a few views that I personally have come to.

But go on. Continue your jaded, cynical little journey and I'll go back to making records.

Cheers :)

I am, however, surprised they would use the same components found in gear costing several times less.

Again, if a resistor that costs 1 cent is perfectly suitable for the task, why should a vendor use a resistor that costs much more for properties that are not needed? For example, resistors come in tolerances of 5 percent, 2 percent, 1 percent, and even better. Often the 5 percent type is all that's needed.

I define the quality of a component based on working on gear made with cheaper components vs higher quality.

But in truth you have no idea at all which devices use components that cost more or less than others. You are going entirely by your sighted perception of gear that you're not even comparing side by side in a controlled manner. There's a reason real audio engineers use proper testing methods!

For god's sake, the thread is titled "THOUGHTS on digital recording".

I didn't read it that way. I read your first post as an attempt at an authoritative article describing what affects the fidelity of digital converters. You presented a number of statements as fact, though you did add "IMO" here and there. But really, if you don't actually know what you're talking about, why even write such a post? By writing stuff like that you're just perpetuating myths and confusing people who actually want to know how audio works.

I wouldn't charge $2000 for converters that use the same components in converters costing several times less.

Now we're getting somewhere! This has been my point in countless forum threads, and I've been the target of vicious attacks by people who think like you for stating the obvious: A lot of expensive gear is no better than budget gear, and when they're compared properly even highly regarded pros can't tell the difference.

It means that there is less distortion at higher levels.

Have you ever viewed the output of a typical preamp or EQ or converter on an oscilloscope? Most modern solid state gear is perfectly clean right up to the point of hard clipping. So the distortion is more or less the same - inaudible - at all levels below hard clipping. Again, I specifically exclude tube and transformer gear that aims for intentional coloration.

Do NO circuits distort? Are NONE badly designed due to cost constraints? Does NONE of this affect audio quality?

For the most part, these days, the answer is No. Let's try this again. Please listen to the files in the articles below, and email me which you think is the Lavry converter (first one) and which is the $25 SoundBlaster card. Then (from the second) let me know which is the original file and which is a copy after going through A/D/A conversions using an inexpensive prosumer sound card:

Converter Comparison
Converter Loop-Back Tests

Are you saying that if I slam a +18 dBu signal into a Firepod or whatever it will be clean and exhibit low distortion?

That's not what I said. I imagine a Firepod could accept +18 dBm if you turn down its input level. But I said you should turn down the output of your mixer if it distorts:

"Most prosumer gear can put out +18 dB with low distortion. But if your mixer can't, then turn down the volume!"

Are you saying that after doing that continually and stacking tracks there will be no impact on the signal?

The "stacking" effect is totally a myth. I disproved it logically in my AES Audio Myths video, and then again with music examples in the Converters Comparison video linked above. But dude, you have to watch the videos. If you refuse to do that, and just continue to disagree with me without even trying to understand, you will remain forever ignorant. There's no other way to say it. I'm trying to help you here! I really am.

You guys are way too ready to pounce on people.

Well you did ask me to explain where you were wrong. :D

the only one decent enough to be civil to me was Miroslav.

Where was I not civil to you? Please point to a specific post.

BTW, this is not about dick measuring. My only intention is to dispel common myths about the science of audio. If correcting misinformation comes off any other way, this is not my problem.

--Ethan

Awwwwww man...... :(

The thread has 1,712 views....don't quit on it now!
This is the stuff that keeps the HR Newsletter afloat! :D

Threads like these give the Cave a run for its money!

Ok, that's quite mean. I certainly an not a know-nothing, that's for sure, Greg. I have been actively working in audio - in live, studio and broadcast - for 13 years. I have mixed our country's top artists, not to mention many international artists who have come to our shores. My work has garnered quite a few award nominations and and has won a SAMA (South African Music Awards, our Grammys). I have successfully run my own studio for the past nine years and I have consistent work which supplements my other job, which is writing as a technical journalist for our only local professional audio, lighting, and AV publication. My proof of the pudding is in the eating.

I'm not trying to toot my own horn and I'm sorry to list all those things which I kind of feel like I have to now in my defense, but I am certainly not a nitwit. I just don't have the energy to continue this debate and take such hectic criticism from you and the rest of you internet grumps. I used to think you were cool but now I know you're just another jerk with a witty comeback.

I come on this forum for the same reason anyone does. To share my knowledge and to learn from others. Ethan is clearly the more knowledgeable in this area so I relent and admit correction now. I don't agree with everything he says because I have my own convictions based in my own experience but that will never come to light because I can't prove it scientifically. In any case, it doesn't matter. I know what I am capable of. As it's always been, you don't need to be scientist to make good sounding records, and that's a fact.

Go well.

Cheers :)

Ok, that's quite mean.

I agree. Neither of us has shown a poor "attitude" in this thread. When the only comment someone can muster is to attack the personalities of those who are actually trying to have a discussion, that says more about them than about you and me. :eek:

I certainly an not a know-nothing, that's for sure, Greg. I have been actively working in audio - in live, studio and broadcast - for 13 years. I have mixed our country's top artists, not to mention many international artists who have come to our shores. My work has garnered quite a few award nominations and and has won a SAMA (South African Music Awards, our Grammys). I have successfully run my own studio for the past nine years and I have consistent work which supplements my other job, which is writing as a technical journalist for our only local professional audio, lighting, and AV publication. My proof of the pudding is in the eating.

I totally believe you, and that's the main reason I persist, rather than write you off as a know-nothing troll. You obviously have the talent and smarts to be an expert, so I'm just trying to fill in a few gaps in your understanding of the technical details.

I don't agree with everything he says because I have my own convictions based in my own experience

I'm glad to discuss any specific topics with you. I bet we can resolve your remaining disagreements. It seems to me that when someone's "experience" is not in agreement with audio science, the real issue is perception and improper testing. If you haven't seen my short op-ed article from Tape Op magazine, it explains this in detail:

Perception - the Final Frontier

Thanks for being a gentleman Mo.

--Ethan

FWIW I enjoy reading and following threads like these. Even if I don't get inspired to bump in with opinion.

Then sometimes I will just jump in for a little fun factor'. :)

Last edited:
Back