Some thoughts on digital recording

Mo Facta

Farts of Nature
I wrote a reply to necropost from 2005 this morning that got lost because of my stupid mouse. Don't ask. It's highly annoying and prone to make me lose it if I have to explain. So now that I've got my cup of warm Rooibos tea at hand, I'm feeling better and thought I would post a new thread on what I wanted to say.

I want to disseminate some of my thoughts on converters, sample rate and their relation to audio quality.

I see a lot of threads all over the internet discussing the merits and demerits of recording at higher sample rates, quality of prosumer vs high end converters, etc and a lot of this talk is based primarily in the digital domain, totally negating the FACT that there are numerous analogue components in the design of every single piece of digital gear.

To clarify, I see a lot of digital jargon being spewed everywhere about digital theory, Dan Lavy papers being thrown left and right, and a lot of focus being put on the digitized signal itself, as if it's the only thing impacting audio quality. Well, my argument is that the digital aspect of "digital audio" is indeed a small part of what constitutes a quality signal.

Why?

Well, like I said, analogue components are crucial to the design of any converter. Before any signal hits the converter chip it has to go through at least some sort of analogue section involving some sort of analogue amplifier such as an opamp. To me, THIS is where the "sound" of any given converter lies. The rest is 1s and 0s. Of course, there are many other factors that are paramount in converter design, such as a good power supply, a well thought out PCB, a stable and low-jitter clock, etc, among other things, but when you're talking about the aesthetics of a captured signal, most of the mojo comes from the analogue domain, IMO.

Now, I'm not a tech guru, but I am able to grasp a lot of this and coming from an analogue background, it's easy to get a gist of the facts.

The first thing to know is that there are only a few digital audio converter chip manufacturers, the main ones being Asahi Kasei (AKM), Cirrus Logic, and TI (who now owns Burr Brown). These chips are used in 90% of all converters out there from the cheapest to the most expensive. For instance, the SSL Alpha-Link, a high end converter system costing $2000+ uses the Asahi Kasei AK4620B converter chip, which is the exact same chip used in the M-Audio Profire 2626, an interface costing several times less. Additionally, the analogue sections (AD and DA) are based around the JRC 4565 opamp, which is also found all over prosumer designs. They have mediocre specs and have an abysmal slew rate. Why? Because they are cheap. It actually blows my mind that a company with a pedigree like SSL would use such crap and so insult the people that spend all that money for the SSL name. All you have to do is go onto Digikey.com and find higher quality replacements to see why these companies skimp on these components for mass production. The Burr Brown OPA2134 for example, a high quality replacement for the 4565, is about 12 times the price per unit.

This is what makes sense to me.

Lower quality components generally saturate and distort quicker than higher quality components. Some converters - and Massive and Waltz will back me up on this - have been designed to tolerate higher levels or even clipping better than others. The point here is that you get less distortion at higher levels, which is why modern low headroom prosumer devices using these components have actually done us a disservice. If your mixer or preamp or converter clips at +18dBu but it starts producing distortion at +12dBu, it kind of negates having that extra 6dB of headroom, doesn't it?

Distorting low quality components is the road to harshness and has nothing to do with the digital section of the converter. That is why "digital harshness" to me is a misnomer. Often even saturating the front end components produces distortion many dB below clip point. That, IMO, combined with 24-bit audio, is from whence the philosophy of conservative levels was borne. I think people found that if they didn't saturate the analogue section of their converters, they got cleaner, punchier recordings because the harmonic distortion accrued from saturating cheap components wasn't present. Of course, this harmonic distortion due to circuit saturation (from slammed levels) would often muddy up the lower midrange and produce a harsh, "woolly" sound, which is not very musically pleasing. Hence we have standards that have been around for decades like the 0VU/-18dBfs/+4dBu standard. They help us keep our audio clean and distortion free for high fidelity recording.

That's pretty much all I have to say for now.

Cheers :)

I'm not a tech guru

I never would have guessed. :D

Seriously, and I say this with all respect and as nicely as possible, your post is riddled with truths, half-truths, and outright falsehoods. The good news is we don't really have to obsess over any of this stuff! All that matters is the measured performance from input to output, which tells us everything we need to know about the entire converter, including both the analog and digital portions. I think it's easy to establish that modern converters are audibly transparent, at least for one or two generations, so in the end none of this stuff actually matters.

--Ethan

When will the next installment on "sample rates and their relation to audio quality" be posted? ;)

Implying that I didn't touch on that aspect enough? Well, I may have digressed a little in my OP but essentially my point was that sample rate is labored over way too much when there are other more critical aspects that affect audio quality. Do I need to clarify that more?

Ethan Winer said:
I never would have guessed.

Seriously, and I say this with all respect and as nicely as possible, your post is riddled with truths, half-truths, and outright falsehoods. The good news is we don't really have to obsess over any of this stuff! All that matters is the measured performance from input to output, which tells us everything we need to know about the entire converter, including both the analog and digital portions. I think it's easy to establish that modern converters are audibly transparent, at least for one or two generations, so in the end none of this stuff actually matters.

--Ethan

Ignoring the hilarious sarcasm, what exactly are the outright falsehoods that my post is riddled with?

Cheers ;)

Implying that I didn't touch on that aspect enough? Well, I may have digressed a little in my OP but essentially my point was that sample rate is labored over way too much when there are other more critical aspects that affect audio quality. Do I need to clarify that more?

Naaaa....I just thought you were going to go in a different direction with the whole "sample rate/audio quality" thing...so I wanted to see that installment of your views.
And to be clear....I'm NOT in the camp that thinks anything above 44.1 is pointless....but we've had a few too many of those debates recently, so I ain't gonna jump into one here....but I will gladly cheer both camps on from the sidelines.

Nothing like a good digital audio debate! ;)

Thanks for the comments, guys. I just want to also point out that most of what I posted was my views and opinions. I'm not claiming I'm a scientist with hard evidence, null test and FFT analysis results (I am, however, a tech journalist and a studio owner/knob twiddler) but I know I have some valid points that I'm sure some might find helpful.

Anyone who would like to debate anything in my OP, please feel free.

I'm sure we'll hear from Ethan soon enough. :P

In response to you, Miroslav, sample rate is a tough one, isn't it? Everyone has their own idea about what the best rate is. The problem, as I see it, is that different interfaces/converters perform differently at a variety of sample rates. My old MOTU 24i/o sounded great at 96. It sounded cloudier at 44.1. My Lynx Aurora sounds fantastic to my ears at 44.1 and I do the majority of my work there. I just don't hear a significant enough improvement ITB at 96 to justify the extra storage space required. And in my opinion, my recordings sound fine because I have top notch preamps and a decent collection of microphones. I am intimately familiar with my studio and know what works and what doesn't.

A point relating to my OP was that people obsess WAY too much over the technology of recording than the fundamentals. I feel like a good engineer with the right mindset and ears can achieve fantastic recordings with a meager amount of gear. At that point the technology becomes incidental to the approach. I always loved the phrase, "if you notice the engineering, you're not doing it right". That sums it up for me.

It's like we've been given all the fidelity we need now with digital recording being freely available for all but we're falling down the rabbit hole of gear focus and the minutia of the process. Forest for the trees syndrome, as I call it. Music appreciation is lost. Fidelity appreciation has been lost. The envelope has been pushed in the realm of recording to the point that we're walking blindly forwards, back to front, looking back. We listen to the recordings of old and wonder how they achieved it and think there must be some secret gear combination or production secret that we're not aware of. 96kHz MUST be the answer!

To me, the missing ingredient is that recording used to be hard won. It wasn't as easy as it is now to lay down a track. It took real practice and effort. The LIMITATIONS of the technology gave birth to a different approach. Limited track counts, little to no editing capabilities, limited outboard, expensive studio rates, etc, made the process precious. As a result performers were better at playing together because they didn't have autotune or cut and paste on the brain. That's why I love old recordings. You just KNOW that they played the song the way you're hearing it. There was no trickery or bullshit. Well, not to the extent that we experience today. I guess you could argue semantics and claim that adding artificial reverb is some sort of enhancement akin to manipulation or trickery.

Once again, this is all my opinion so feel free to debate it. I am not too proud to learn from my mistakes.

Last edited:
I assume that higher sample rates allow for more detailed editing, such as adding FX, without too much depreciation of the sound before it's finalised to every day media?

That tends to be how we work with digital imaging, anyhow. So I assume it's the same with audio?

Ignoring the hilarious sarcasm, what exactly are the outright falsehoods that my post is riddled with?

I hope you know that tone of voice was just funnin' with you. Here's a point by point reply:

a lot of this talk is based primarily in the digital domain, totally negating the FACT that there are numerous analogue components in the design of every single piece of digital gear.

Yes, and even the sample and hold circuit that's part of the digital conversion is analog. Heck, all of the components inside a digital device are analog! Digital logic chips put out One and Zero voltages only because they are slammed (clipped) hard in each direction.

I see a lot of digital jargon being spewed everywhere about digital theory, Dan Lavy papers being thrown left and right, and a lot of focus being put on the digitized signal itself, as if it's the only thing impacting audio quality.

It's not difficult to design analog circuits that are audibly transparent, so by and large the "analog" portion of a modern converter is not a factor for fidelity. Even a garden variety 50-cent dual op-amp has extremely low distortion and noise, and a very flat frequency response.

Well, my argument is that the digital aspect of "digital audio" is indeed a small part of what constitutes a quality signal.

I agree with this! But the analog portion is an equally small factor.

Before any signal hits the converter chip it has to go through at least some sort of analogue section involving some sort of analogue amplifier such as an opamp. To me, THIS is where the "sound" of any given converter lies.

Nah, modern converts do not have any "sound" at all. Even the prosumer stuff from ten years ago was suitably transparent that you'd be hard pressed to distinguish between an original source and a copy after one A/D/A generation. Today fidelity is even better. I've tested this several times, and posted files people can "guess" at and email me on my web site. Here's a recent one, and I welcome an email from you telling me which is the original file and which are the various copies:

Converter Loop-Back Tests

Of course, there are many other factors that are paramount in converter design, such as a good power supply, a well thought out PCB, a stable and low-jitter clock, etc, among other things, but when you're talking about the aesthetics of a captured signal, most of the mojo comes from the analogue domain, IMO.

Again, there is no "mojo" in modern audio gear that aims to be clean. Now, toob gear and stuff with transformers might deviate from transparency and have a sound, but all the converters I'm aware of aim for high fidelity rather than intentional color.

As for clocks and power supplies, a design would have to be awfully lame for those to harm fidelity. Jitter is a total non-issue, and even in amounts ten times greater than you'll find in any converter (including prosumer sound cards), it's just not an audible problem. Yes, you can measure different amounts of jitter in different devices, but the amount of jitter never affects their sound quality. The jitter myth has been repeated so many times by gear vendors and misinformed magazine writers that it's now accepted by almost everyone!

It actually blows my mind that a company with a pedigree like SSL would use such crap and so insult the people that spend all that money for the SSL name.

Even though you admit you're not a tech expert, you believe you know more than the designers at SSL?

Lower quality components generally saturate and distort quicker than higher quality components.

On what do you base that? How do you define the quality of a component? Please be very specific! I hope you'll answer these questions rather than ignore them.

More to the point, why do you believe performance greater than that which is actually needed makes an audible difference? A slew rate of 1 Volt per microsecond is equal to 10 Volts peak to peak at 20 KHz. So let's double that for extra head room to 2 V/uS. If I'm manufacturing audio devices, there's no way I'll pay 12 times more for a device that can go faster than is actually needed.

Some converters - and Massive and Waltz will back me up on this - have been designed to tolerate higher levels or even clipping better than others.

What does clipping "better" even mean? All a converter needs to do is accept and output voltages within a sensible range. If you set your converter such that 0 dBFS equals a few volts, which is sensible, what happens with larger voltages is irrelevant.

modern low headroom prosumer devices using these components have actually done us a disservice. If your mixer or preamp or converter clips at +18dBu but it starts producing distortion at +12dBu

Most prosumer gear can put out +18 dB with low distortion. But if your mixer can't, then turn down the volume!

Distorting low quality components is the road to harshness

Now you're just making stuff up as you go. If you have any hard evidence to the contrary, in the form of voltages and distortion levels actually measured for gear you own, or for individual components, I'll be glad to see it. This is something else I hope you'll answer and not ignore.

Often even saturating the front end components produces distortion many dB below clip point. That, IMO, combined with 24-bit audio, is from whence the philosophy of conservative levels was borne. I think people found that if they didn't saturate the analogue section of their converters, they got cleaner, punchier recordings because the harmonic distortion accrued from saturating cheap components wasn't present.

I debunked that myth soundly in this very forum a few months ago:

The Truth About Record Levels

Of course, this harmonic distortion due to circuit saturation (from slammed levels) would often muddy up the lower midrange and produce a harsh, "woolly" sound, which is not very musically pleasing.

I don't understand this obsession with slamming high signal levels into audio gear. Again, if your levels are too high, then turn them down. Sheesh! This is not rocket science!

--Ethan

Even though you admit you're not a tech expert, you believe you know more than the designers at SSL?

No. I'm am, however, surprised they would use the same components found in gear costing several times less. Do you feel like they are so superior to be worth the money?

On what do you base that? How do you define the quality of a component? Please be very specific! I hope you'll answer these questions rather than ignore them.

My ears, mostly. I define the quality of a component based on working on gear made with cheaper components vs higher quality. I don't have a null test to prove it, which is why I stated in my OP that it was MY OPINION. For god's sake, the thread is titled "THOUGHTS on digital recording".

More to the point, why do you believe performance greater than that which is actually needed makes an audible difference? A slew rate of 1 Volt per microsecond is equal to 10 Volts peak to peak at 20 KHz. So let's double that for extra head room to 2 V/uS. If I'm manufacturing audio devices, there's no way I'll pay 12 times more for a device that can go faster than is actually needed.

My ears. And I wouldn't either. But if I didn't I wouldn't charge $2000 for converters that use the same components in converters costing several times less.

What does clipping "better" even mean? All a converter needs to do is accept and output voltages within a sensible range. If you set your converter such that 0 dBFS equals a few volts, which is sensible, what happens with larger voltages is irrelevant.

It means that there is less distortion at higher levels. I don't know how you can live in a world where every modern circuit is transparent and distortion free. This is the impression you give me, Ethan. Do NO circuits distort? Are NONE badly designed due to cost constraints? Does NONE of this affect audio quality?

Most prosumer gear can put out +18 dB with low distortion. But if your mixer can't, then turn down the volume!

Thanks for the tip. Are you saying that if I slam a +18 dBu signal into a Firepod or whatever it will be clean and exhibit low distortion? Are you saying that after doing that continually and stacking tracks there will be no impact on the signal? I find it hard to believe from my experience, that is all.

You guys are way too ready to pounce on people. Get over yourselves. Greg, I've heard your recordings and you clearly know how to record and mix punk rock very well (from what I have heard). Is nothing I'm saying making sense to you? You clearly have expertise instead of worrying about null tests and scientific evidence to explain everything away.

Anyway, the OP was only my thoughts and the only one decent enough to be civil to me was Miroslav.

Excuse me while I get back to what's actually important: making music.

Greg, I've heard your recordings and you clearly know how to record and mix punk rock very well (from what I have heard). Is nothing I'm saying making sense to you?

Thanks for that. I'm not pouncing on you. Is what you're saying making sense to me? I don't know, I don't really read your posts. I just skim. I couldn't care less about sample rates. I'm not really interested in these dead horse beating "discussions" that go nowhere and I wish they wouldn't happen. You guys don't "discuss" anything. You don't openly exchange ideas with the intention of learning or understanding. This is nothing more than an internet dick measuring contest. I do find the sideshow entertaining though. I feel that you exhibit the same defensive tendencies that many others in here exhibit. You say something, someone disagrees, you get your feelings hurt, and then launch a trollish passive-aggressive attack looking for redemption. It happens all the time. You "shared" your thoughts hoping for a response and a fight. That much is very obvious. Good luck with that.

Back