Sightings

BillyFurnett

Here's another stupid idea!:

This could be a thread used to alert each other of Ebay postings for gear we might know someone here is looking for.

Example: I have read that Rick is hoping to get a 3700 and wants the JL Cooper thing (I think)... I saw this:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=2555873069&category=3278

I doubt if Rick or anyone would miss a posting for something they were really looking for, BUT WHAT IF (1.) This 3700 upgrade was in fact very much sought after. (2.) Had a "Buy it now" price that rocked. (3.) Was posted on Ebay while Rick was here??

Bottom line... How much would it suck if someone else got it before Rick?

If we use this thread just for that purpose, then we'd all know it's a "Red Alert" when it's bumped to the top by the latest sighting.
(Same thing could be done at Tascam)

Useful or stupid??

:)

Last edited:
What happens if we are all after the same equipment? We would only increase the number of bidders and jack up the price.

Mr. President, we've just gone to defcon 3700.

Hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahah............ ahem

Hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha....and Ha!

Thats the funniest thing I've read all week. Hahahahahahahahahahahahah!

Cool. Lead on. About the JL Cooper thing. I definitely want that option. But if I spend the money on this, it might short me for the console. That heading for this auction is kinda misleading at first. When I saw it I almost fell out of the chair:p
Besides, this is a strange auction. If the guy doesn't have the console, why would he have bought it? Just to make a buck on ebay? In any case, I'd love to have it even as a spare myself but I can't afford to take a chance. My trip left me with only enough studio budget to MAYBE get one at a low ebay price. Soooooooo, thanks so much for keeping the radar up:D So how do we do this?
fitZ:)

LOL -(Good point Derek)
Well I don't know what happens if we all want the same gear....
I guess we have to each decide for ourselves how bad we REALLY want it and bid accordingly just like any other auction.
(Sometimes you win and sometimes you lose)

I was thinking in terms of things that might not come up that often that someone here specificly NEEDS, but might also be sought after in general by possibly hundreds of other "Ebayer's", like a remote or a power supply.

For every Berhinger being dumped on Ebay IT COULD
MEAN another person looking to out bid one of us or bid first on a Tascam. (There's only so many Mackie's to provide a buffer zone.) This COULD BE the lowest Tascam gear ever gets and It'll take just one flavor of the month fader jockey to anounce in a magazine that he's going back to basics and we'll all be paying $1000 for a 312.

It's an analog jungle out there boys (LOL) invent advantages.

:)

Last edited:
From the 3700 Upgrade posting...

Seller's payment instructions:
Shipping will NOT be marked up. Once you win the item please email me your zip and I will get on USPS.com and give a shipping estimate by weight and size. and will email you a copy of the webpage. I will ship out of country
( BUT THE BUYER MUST ADD $100.00 TO BID. THIS DOES NOT INCLUDE SHIPPING. )

It that normal or????

Last edited:
Hold Sellers Accountable

How about posting silly ebay listings. That is, those with ridiculous starting bids, outrageous shipping charges and unreasonable terms that make you wonder if they really even want to sell it.

For example, a person who is selling a used item for nearly as much and sometimes more than a new one, such as Quantegy reel tape (I’ve seen that a few times). Or how about the seller who is charging $60.00 for shipping of a 20 lb item or such similar goofiness. I see that kind of thing all the time.

What would make it really effective – email the seller and tell him he’s been added to the Ebay Hall of Shame and give him a link to the message on this board.

It could be informative, entertaining and help steer members away from some of the unscrupulous ebayers out there.

I know, I know, I’m such a crusader.

Tim
:cool:

That's an awesome idea! Especially for analog newbies like myself. I'm still trying to figure out what's good and what's not and what the average prices are and such.
There is nothing wrong with keeping people from getting screwed.:D

email the seller and tell him he’s been added to the Ebay Hall of Shame and give him a link to

Hey Beck, thats a fantastic idea. I know there is bad feedback, but some of these people arn't afraid of that, as they only sell one or two items. I know one thing. There are some real jerks out there, and even ebay says "buyer beware". This guy with the 3700 sounds like one of the jerks.

fitZ:)

Some Buyers Don’t Have Any Principles Either

Here’s a good one. An Alesis RA-100 power amp that weighs less than 15 lbs (a little more boxed to ship of course). The Buyer has a $46.00 shipping cost! But what’s worse is that SOMEONE ACTUALLY BID ON IT!!!!

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=3043204808&category=296

Some would say that it doesn’t matter since the final bid and the high shipping cost worked out to be pretty close to an average total cost for one of these.

I say, am I the only one walking upright these days? Are most people walking around in the assumed position with a sign on their butt that says, “F**k me” or what?

I would not even consider that auction because the seller is an ass, and I might even e-mail the seller and tell him his shipping is too outrageous for me to place a bid.

My philosophy is that the more sellers like this are successful the more they will come back.

Tim :cool:

Dethska said:
That's an awesome idea! Especially for analog newbies like myself. I'm still trying to figure out what's good and what's not and what the average prices are and such.
There is nothing wrong with keeping people from getting screwed.:D

Here is a link on average prices. You can see what's good (or at least most wanted) by relative prices. I only wish it were updated more frequently.

http://www.prepal.com/data/Tascam.htm

Ok guys, night before last, I bid and won a Delta unisaw. Kind of like the workhorse for small shops. I just got home from driving from Coos Bay Oregon to Tacoma Washington. 800 miles round trip. When I got there yesterday afternoon, after driving 9 straight hours, the only person at the shop was the sellers partner. He asked me what I wanted. I told him someone from this shop sold a Unisaw to me on ebay. When I told him that, he flipped out, and said "that MOFO asshole. I own half this stuff and he never said a word". Thankgod I printed out the auction so he had to sell it to me but was he PISSED. Just goes to show you can't trust anybody on ebay. I'll never buy something major again UNLESS they answer a LOT of questions.
fitZ:rolleyes:

Man!

This sounds like an other excellent reason to shop locally.

Sorry to hear about your grief, Rick.

At least you did get out of there with the saw and fond memories of the north/west!

Cheers! :)

That not only sounds like a hassle, but perhaps dangerous too.

Yea, it was a hassle alright, my old Chevy truck made it, but with a hole in the muffler it was 2 days of noise. And as far as dangerous, I pulled into a little gas station at a small town on the coast called Reedsport. Redneck country.:D I went in and asked for a couple of 1157 taillights as I had just discovered they weren't working. Two BIG guys who looked like inbred brothers, and wearing camaflauge clothing, looked me over real good, and said "What you need those for BOY".
Ha! BOY? I'm in my 50's and I'm not too small myself. I said, "Son, if I had kids that looked like you boys, I'd told the doctor to feed it to their dog." I walked out and went on my way. I must have been outa my mind, but when measly mouthed assholes give me a hard time for nothing, I can't bite my tongue. I'm Irish. I would have expected this down in the south, no disrespect intended, but this was on the west coast of Oregon. Go figure. Probably the Raiders baseball hat I had on. All I can say is, you can take the redneck outa the country, but.....

At least you did get out of there with the saw and fond memories of the north/west!
Hmmm, I'm probably lucky to have made it out alive :rolleyes:
fitZ:D

Back