saturday night monitor mix

The brightness on the headphone mix was the only thing that bugged me about it. You've fixed that. I'll leave it to the others to analyze it in detail.

If anyone could give me some pointers on this mix i would greatly appreciate it. And has anyone used a tape saturation or vintage warmer with a good outcome on a overall mastered mix?

Well I know this genre likes to have heavy bass presence to it, but maybe back it off just a bit. Other than that it sounds pretty good to me. The bass is just way too much forward it seems like to me.

Well I know this genre likes to have heavy bass presence to it, but maybe back it off just a bit. Other than that it sounds pretty good to me. The bass is just way too much forward it seems like to me.

After I posted and listened again yesterday I thought that the bass was up front a bit also. Thanks for the listen.

I'm not sure I would pull the bass down on this tune. It really is the driving force in this song. I feel the vocal sounds a bit thin and gets buried. Give the vocals some girth. Good tune by the way. Kind of a Sublime feel to it. :D

I'm not sure I would pull the bass down on this tune. It really is the driving force in this song. I feel the vocal sounds a bit thin and gets buried. Give the vocals some girth. Good tune by the way. Kind of a Sublime feel to it. :D

I really appreciate the feedback. The vocals were recorded with a 57. I'm in need of a good vocal Mic. Thanks for the input . I'm still not crazy about the mix but its getting there. The dirt guitars in the chorus seem to not sit in the mix that well to me, a little too much high mids . But it could be my monitors since they are not the best.

I Still think this needs some work. Any tips would help if you got em...

I think the distorted guitars really need some help. They're pretty tinny, thin, and harsh. The cleans sound pretty right for the genre. Good job there. I like the bass where it is. It might seem a little much in the verses, but it drives the song along. I think it sits fine fine in the louder parts. I wouldn't mess with it. The vocals are okay. A little thin, but whatever. The drums....lol. Okay, they're obviously full-on programmed. They sound it. Doesn't sound natural to me at all, but you obviously don't care about natural drum sounds and this is what you want to do. Fine. They're not great or bad. It's just typical programmed drumming. Not too bad though. Most general listeners don't know or care what real drums sound like so they won't know either way. You didn't over-program, and that's a very good thing. This at least sounds like something a real drummer would play. Being an actual drummer myself, I always try to encourage drum programmers to think like a drummer if they can. Don't "over-drum" the part with over programming. I think you did well in that regard.

At the risk of sending you off the deep end again, I have to say that this mix and song doesn't stack up to the grandstanding and big-talking you did a few days ago. I expected better. I sincerely would like to hear something better from you. Just my opinion, but this song is sterile and tame. I don't really hear the Sublime comparisons. Yeah, it's ska-poppy, but Sumbime had an edge. I'm hearing more No Doubt on this one.

I think the distorted guitars really need some help. They're pretty tinny, thin, and harsh. The cleans sound pretty right for the genre. Good job there. I like the bass where it is. It might seem a little much in the verses, but it drives the song along. I think it sits fine fine in the louder parts. I wouldn't mess with it. The vocals are okay. A little thin, but whatever. The drums....lol. Okay, they're obviously full-on programmed. They sound it. Doesn't sound natural to me at all, but you obviously don't care about natural drum sounds and this is what you want to do. Fine. They're not great or bad. It's just typical programmed drumming. Not too bad though. Most general listeners don't know or care what real drums sound like so they won't know either way. You didn't over-program, and that's a very good thing. This at least sounds like something a real drummer would play. Being an actual drummer myself, I always try to encourage drum programmers to think like a drummer if they can. Don't "over-drum" the part with over programming. I think you did well in that regard.

At the risk of sending you off the deep end again, I have to say that this mix and song doesn't stack up to the grandstanding and big-talking you did a few days ago. I expected better. I sincerely would like to hear something better from you. Just my opinion, but this song is sterile and tame. I don't really hear the Sublime comparisons. Yeah, it's ska-poppy, but Sumbime had an edge. I'm hearing more No Doubt on this one.

That's the response o would figure coming from you. But I'm not interested in your opinion at all. The average listener don't know the difference . Keep your shit talking off of this thread. Your just upset still obviously that I don't think you are the musician that you think you are. Give it up dude. And poppy no doubt whatever I couldn't care less what you think it sounds like. Against your music this is better in all ways except a real drummer. And if that's all you got that isn't much. Thank you too for your input. Saved in the data banks for later consideration.

That's the response o would figure coming from you. But I'm not interested in your opinion at all. The average listener don't know the difference . Keep your shit talking off of this thread. Your just upset still obviously that I don't think you are the musician that you think you are. Give it up dude. And poppy no doubt whatever I couldn't care less what you think it sounds like. Against your music this is better in all ways except a real drummer. And if that's all you got that isn't much. Thank you too for your input. Saved in the data banks for later consideration.

Here we go again. This is really tiring.

This guy asked me to listen and asked for my honest opinions.

Let the record show that offcenter is a sensitive troll with an obvious chip on his shoulder and not to be taken seriously.

From the other day:

I like catchy stuff. I write a lot of catchy stuff too.

My listening/recording machine is fubar at the moment, but I'll listen to your song one of these days.

I hope you do. Dont be bitter because of a fight on the net. We are essentially a bunch of words going at each other. Im done fighting abut this shit. My recording abilities are not pro by any standard but i can write and record and thats what is important. But i do like honest opinions. That is the whole point of putting the stuff up. If everyone here don't like what i do Ill respect that and if you do great but give pointers. But my main goal is constructive criticism not needless petty bashing. Ive heard all the guys stuff that have argued with me on here and I have an opinion about it, but regardless of what i think at least everyone is creating. And thats what i do. Good or bad.

Last edited:
This guy asked me to listen and asked for my honest opinions.

Let the record show that offcenter is a sensitive troll with an obvious chip on his shoulder and not to be taken seriously.

From the other day:

You know what your entitled to your opinion. Thanks for the feedback. I'm not wasting my time arguing with you anymore.

You know what your entitled to your opinion. Thanks for the feedback. I'm not wasting my time arguing with you anymore.

Cool. My comments and compliments regarding your mix were made with no bias or animosity. I'm man enough to seperate the bullshit from polite conversation and constructive criticism.

I thought it was pretty decent. I liked the song. I liked the clean guitar and bass.

I didn't care too much for the distorted guitars. For me I would like a little more low end to them and they have a bit too much of that 1Khz "honk" to them. Not horrible, I'd just think they'd hit the listener harder if they had just a little more weight to them.

I thought it was pretty decent. I liked the song. I liked the clean guitar and bass.

I didn't care too much for the distorted guitars. For me I would like a little more low end to them and they have a bit too much of that 1Khz "honk" to them. Not horrible, I'd just think they'd hit the listener harder if they had just a little more weight to them.

I think overall the distorted guitars are what bugs me the most. I knew they just didn't have the best tone so I'm gonna remixing those. Thanks I appreciate it.

Haven't read the other comments yet...

I think the snare vocals need to come up. Bass, kick, snare and vocal all upfront and at the same level. Here you have kick and bass pretty much upfront, so bring up the other two.

Distorted guitars sound kind of thin. I think that's one of the biggest problems we see with distorted guitars. common wisdom says to use half the gain that you feel sounds good because it comes out differently between live and recorded. Turn the gain down and double, triple or quadruple the tracks.

I'd like to hear the crash cymbals a little louder.

The song moves along nicely and has some good energy. Vocal performance is pretty good, but I think I hear some pitchiness during th choruses. Hard to tell cause they're buried.

Way better mix, not sure you even need to re-do the distorted guitars. I would just roll off some of the very top (over 7-8K) and add in some beef around 300-400hz, along the lines of TripleM's suggestion. Everything else sounds great. Nice work.

Back