Rock Drums according to a crazy Grammy Producer: just passing the word along...

LeeRosario

I always had it my head to pass on helpful information from behind enemy lines when it can help others. In this case it's a general guideline to how I personally learned drums the way I like them currently (names withheld to protect the innocent) from a producer with let's just say...good taste. I suppose the idea here is to get natural samples off the same kit. And it's not like you can't add ANOTHER layer of samples from something else, hint hint. Hence that over the top mainstream sound.

Since these things are based on taste, I won't get too surgical, so don't kill the messenger on this one. The key here is in sampling the live drum kit you're about to record and how you mix it. A lot of this might sound redundant or plain dumb, but it's always amazing how a little can go a long way...and I quote verbatim:

1) Captain obvious point: make sure you've got the best possible kit for the job during recording time. A good drumset shouldn't need any tape or dampening...just a nice clear open tone. The idea is to get the drums louder than the cymbals. Brass/metal snares tend to have a good crack very favorable to rock music.

Tape is what you do when you're either too lazy to tune drums the right way, too broke to buy new skins/drums or want to re-live the 70s without the acid trip. Let the drums breathe man.

2) Captain obvious point: make sure your drummer dosn't suck. If he does, replace him with someone who doesn't suck. Don't waste time and don't be shy about it. You're an engineer, not a goddamn drum teacher. A good drummer is in the pocket, hits with great feeling and is consistent.

3) Captain obvious point: pick a good room. Preferably one that dosn't suck out loud. Big rooms tend to work best. Use your ears.

4) Cymbals are important too. Not too washy, tonally balanced with the kit, good attack and decay variables and sound proportional to the kit. You can get surgical and pick out cymbals to match the key of the song, but at that point you gotta ask yourself, "really?" Damn nut jobs. Use your ears.

5) Get your mics in order. Do whatever it is you do. Do all that phase checking shit and just get those drums sounding good. Slap up a hall mic down the hallway and compress the shit out of it. Really brings the kit together.

6) Once you're in session, get your drummer to sample the kit before every new song with all mics record armed (including room mics). You can do this off in an empty space in the session. You want a few good solid kick, snare, tom and cymbal hits with that.

7) In a seperate session, build up your samples with the room mics built into it. You're looking at something kind of over the top here on purpose. It might sound like each drum has excessive verb in the sample, but it will make sense when you mix it into the dry drum track. Consolidate each processed sample, bounce them down to one mono track and make sure they start right at the transient of the drum to avoid excessive phasing issues.

8) Duplicate each drum track and rename them as sample tracks. That can be kick sample, snare sample, tom hi sample, etc etc. You're going to need some type of sound replacer program. If not, bust out the coffee cause we're gonna be here all fucking night doing this manually.

9) replace each live drum track duplicate with their sampled versions. At the end you should have two tracks of each drum. One dry and one sample replaced version.

10) There's a good chance you're going to have some phasing issues because of mis-alignment between the dry and sampled tracks. You're going to have to listen to each hit and manually realign the ones that are out of sync. It takes for fucking ever. This will be painful, I promise.

11) Once the tracks are all clean and aligned, you can start screwing with the sample tracks. You can try different types of verb and compression. The idea is to build a "tail" behind the dry track. A drums perceived power comes from the relationship between its attack and it's tail. So this is where you want to spend most of your time when mixing drums. Make sure the sample enhances the drum naturally (or unnaturally if you want that fake sound). You can get the samples pretty wet for good effect.

If done right, you should be hearing a drum that really has some POW all the way through the track naturally. You can still compress and eq the dry track however you want as long as you get the samples to work together. They should end up sounding strong during the heaviest and lightest parts of the song. You can sum each dry track and its sample track to a single track and compress that to "glue" them together.

Last edited:
"Tape is what you do when you're either too lazy to tune drums the right way, too broke to buy new skins/drums or want to re-live the 70s without the acid trip. Let the drums breathe man."

:D

I love that!

Great post Lee!

Even still, there's a huge difference between 70's style drums and the awful wet cardboard shit drum sounds nak records.

Dead rooms and duct tape. I knew a guy who taped empty cigarette boxes to his heads.

So glad that shit is over.

4) Cymbals are important too. Not too washy, tonally balanced with the kit, good attack and decay variables and sound proportional to the kit. You can get surgical and pick out cymbals to match the key of the song, but at that point you gotta ask yourself, "really?" Damn nut jobs. Use your ears.

I don't think that's over the top at all. There are certain cymbals that just don't sound right with certain songs. Drummers need to hear that for themselves.

When it comes time to mix. For almost every style of music, I would much rather have drums that are too dead, than drums that are too open or resonant.

I guess he would fin I (and some of the best drummers in the world I have worked with) lazy and broke.

I don't know if I agree with the replacing every hits with samples thing. I've done it because I screwed up somewhere micing, or I had a bad cord that I didn't discover until everyone went home that screwed up one of the tracks, or the drummer REALLY nailed something and caused occasional peaking. I always have the drummers sample their kits just in case I need to do surgery, but never in the intent of using them in totality!

Then again, I'm not a grammy award winning engineer or anything, so what do I know! :drunk:

super late response to this, but worth noting. If you guys ever get access to a Ludwig Black Beauty snare...probably one of the best snares for recording in history. Really really diverse. Used alot in Nashville.

I always had it my head to pass on helpful information from behind enemy lines when it can help others. In this case it's a general guideline to how I personally learned drums the way I like them currently (names withheld to protect the innocent) from a producer with let's just say...good taste. I suppose the idea here is to get natural samples off the same kit. And it's not like you can't add ANOTHER layer of samples from something else, hint hint. Hence that over the top mainstream sound.

Since these things are based on taste, I won't get too surgical, so don't kill the messenger on this one. The key here is in sampling the live drum kit you're about to record and how you mix it. A lot of this might sound redundant or plain dumb, but it's always amazing how a little can go a long way...and I quote verbatim:

What a great way to take advantage of a tool that is generally looked down upon in the recording scene to enhance the natural sound of a drum kit. This use really has never occurred to me. Very helpful. I think this will also help with mic placement since I will be more discriminating when performing sound checks. Thanks a lot bro.

Clong

I don't know if I agree with the replacing every hits with samples thing.
He isn't talking about replacing, he is talking about mixing the samples with the sound of the live performance. The samples are added to the drum recording.

Dear studiopa,

Thank God you weren't around at a time when engineers and producers had to know how to do "a lot with very little" - otherwise, I'd be forced to say how about you leave the tuning and recording of drums to people who actually know what they're doing and you just concentrate on making sure my french fries from McDonalds don't get over-cooked....

As someone who played live for years and made a pretty good living at it - that's right - not an occasional weekend here and there - I was fortunate enough to play with a drummer who understood his craft and was more concerned with how the band sounded as a whole rather than being the loudest on stage....thank goodness he was professional enough to use tape, cardboard, tea towels, or whatever for the good of the band and the sound...overtones on stage or when recording can kill a sound or song....but then I guess those days of selflessness are gone....

how about you leave the tuning and recording of drums to people who actually know what they're doing..........
I was fortunate enough to play with a drummer who understood his craft......thank goodness he was professional enough to use tape, cardboard, tea towels

As a drummer who has worked and still works live all the time, and I mean all the time, I have to say that I wouldn't be doing too much bragging about your "friend" who supposedly knows his craft. :rolleyes:.

If he needs to use tape, cardboard and towels to get a good drum sound, maybe HE should learn his craft and learn how to tune drums so that you don't need that ridiculous garbage. I can just imagine how bad his drums sound, but the rest of you love it because he's not very loud. I guess that's what you mean by "for the god of the band".

Back