Rainy Day = New Tune

Alright, electric suits you. Very nice.

Some mix things I noticed...the mids seemed to be pretty heavy on my end (on cheap, crappy speakers) especially when the chorus kicked in. Maybe just adding a bit of high (sparkle) may help, I'm not sure...

I liked the vocals during the verses. During the chorus, maybe they could use a bit of double-tracking to give them more "ummph", I guess is as good a word as any.

Very nice guitar work there and I like the dynamics of the song. Great to hear one from you!

:D

Vocal is mixed on top, words are easily understandable all the way through, and it's good writing to, I'm glad I can understand it.

The vocal seems fairly dry, and I think that's fantastic as you seek advice on the mix, now we can make real suggestion as to where the vocal might go ...

At 0:35, the word 'spoken' ... this is very good singing here, I know what you are doing here is very challenging for many singers, you are popping up into your headvoice and 'catching' a note, and then gently you vall back into your chestvoice.

I learn later you make an effective hook out of this for the entire song ... and you are doing that, it is effective.

The guitars are a little heavy on your voice at the first chorus ...

At 1:08, I'm very happy again with the vocal level ...

'bets in life worth taking' ... yup ...

'makin' , liking that again ...

Second chorus, vocal is generally stronger ...

This is a killer 'lil tune mon.

SECOND LISTEN :
------------------------------
Your initial vocal entrace is clear and strong, that's fantastic !

'spoken' ... excellent.

Yes, guitars are a little loud on first chorus. 'livin' excellent.

too many shoes ... oh yeah ...

'locks her door' , opportunity for a sound effect there ... slamming door IMHO ...

'makin' yes, good hook here ...

I like what you have done with the doubled vocal stereo left ... flanged ...

At 2:23, I would put this wierd backup on both sides and mix it at 10:15 ...

I think Dave should play this one.

you have to have a heart thats not been broken...

awesome..

man that chorus is SCREAMING for big HUGE SUGARY BACKUPS!!!!

the squeal at ..1:15 ..bring that down JUUUUUUUST a touch...lol...damn i almost peed my pants...:D ..someof us listen to this stuff CRANKED!!!...

catchy ...vocals sound cool...ok i hear i the backups second time through...cool..still needs more.....would i steer you wrong?!?!?..

cool im glad i heard this before i gotta go...

rock some more and stuff..

jamal

Yeah, I gotta agree with the need for "sugary backups". It really is screaming for it.:) Great song! Instantly likeable and memorable.

I don't often say this but I think this tune would really lend itself to some huge, glossy over-production. Wall of sound, 100 vocal tracks, etc. Seriously, I could hear this being a radio hit with the right production. Although I haven't really listened to the radio in about 10 years, but... back when radio wasn't the same 10 corporate-maufactured alt-rock bubblegum tunes played over and over, this could definitely have been on the radio...

And another thing I don't often say, but I think the vox need to be less dry. I think some well-applied delay would really nail it.

Cool!

Chris

update...

guys, thanks very much for the suggestions....changes have been made and posted....

boydrj, thanks for listening...i added a little delay on the chorus vocal that helps a lot i think

studioviols, very helpful reply....i added some delay on the chorus part and made all the vocals a touch more wet....i also added the doubling of the weird bkg vocal for the last part

Jamal, I turned that one part down so you don't kill your ears if you listen again:D tahnks for the suggestion

groucho - great call on the delay man....i was messing around with that right as you posted....i split the vocal in to verse and chorus parts and added a touch of delay on the verse and a bunch on the chorus... i think it helped....lemme know what you think......

the repost...........no "sugary backups" yet....i might work on that next....

http://www.nowhereradio.com/artists/album.php?aid=1642&alid=154

pretty good mix here.. the song reminds me of the band 'everclear.' It's stuff like this where I can tell it's an amp as opposed to a processor.. we know I'm having a vocal crisis, but these had some spots that sounded harsh.. it's a shame because it's only in a few spots.. like when your pushing.. "THEY are living" "WE are living' etc.. other than a few other parts, they sound good.. it almost sounds like your overdriving the mic or something.. cool song! I could cover this in a challenge..

Sam - thanks for checking it out....hmmm, my guess is that harshness is coming from a little effect i was trying....i took a doubled version of the main vocal and ran it through an amp sim for a couple of the chorus parts, my guess is that's where the overdirving sound is coming from......maybe i should back that off during those "we" and "they" parts........i guess i need to try a few things w/ that......thanks for pointing it out

Wow, big ass full sound.
This had the right kind of thumping glued together bottom end to it. Great vocals, catchy as hell.

This is a very clear song. Great guitar tone, crunchy and enjoyable. Same with vocals. The samples are a bit dry sounding to me, though. Nice song Powder!

Cool tune. Great recording. Everything is very clear. Nice honest guitar sound. It's good and dirty but not hiding behind distortion. You can really hear the fretting and the picking - in a very good way.

Doug - thanks for checking it out man...much appreciated

FattMusiek - definitely sampled drums....i've been searching the land for a drummer to record w/ ,but no dice so far......i took this song out w/ me for a drive and the good old 'car test'......i think you're right about getting the drums a little more wet.....thanks for the suggestion, i'm on it

fprod - thanks for listening as always man

I haven't read the previous posts thoroughly, so I'm sorry if I reiterate previous posts.

Vocals are a bit wet for my tastes. Your voice reminds me of the guy from Afghan Whigs with a bit of Sloan thrown in. It's nice.

Might try to tighten up the guitars and bass a bit. They're barely off time here and there, which distracts me somewhat.

The backup vocal on the second chorus (and a couple of places later) was a bit strong to me. It seems to come and a go a bit. Slight compression on the backup vox might do the trick, I'm thinking.

On the whole, a nice song and a nice mix. I'd polish it just a bit, if it were me, but I liked it quite a bit. Of course, I never stop polishing -- to the point where I'm currently completely re-recording one of my songs from scratch. So maybe there's a healthy, happy medium that I'm not quite getting. :-)

Thanks for posting!

Piltdown Man

PiltdownMan - yeah, looks like i need to look at those backing vocals to make them present but a little less harsh........compression might be it....thanks

Kind of Everclear crossed w/Bob Dylan... vocs a bit low during the
choruses--the guitars do sound good, but should make some more room
for the vocals... not much needed.

Really nice song... you've gotten so much better at this since the
beginning... actually here's a thought:

Everclear + Bob Dylan = Tom Petty? Yeah, that's it. This reminds me
of T.P.

Vocs too hot at: 2:38 (THEY) 2:43 (THEY)...

Cool stuff.

C

Chad - thanks for the time areas, that should make it much easier to clear that up, i think i'll just have to back off the distorted doubles during thos sections ........i'll take a t.p. comparison any day.......thanks for checking it out

I like the song. Super vocals and lyrics. I'm not much of a judge on mixes. It just sounds really good to me.

I'd like to hear a different ride cymbal when it goes to the chorus. This sounds like an open highhat? Song has a really nice groove. Good lead guitar player could really add to this song. Or keyboard riff or something. Reminds me of a "Cars" type of song?

Maybe it's just me.... but one of the gits sounds like it has intonation issues??? Probably just my shot ears.

I like it a lot though.

Back