PureMix / Sonnox Mixing Contest!

Hey guys, just uploaded my mix as well.

Used Waves C4, Q10, Rbass, CLA-2A, CLA-3A, CLA-76, IR1, Supertap, Primal Tap, L3Multi and Kramer Master Tape. Let me know your thoughts!!
Not exactly my style but a fun song to mix! Good luck!:D

Thanks for the feedback!!

Ok guys thanks for the feedback on the ending you were 100% right. So I went back into logic pro and fixed that up as well as but some final eq on the track so heres the new version. Tell me what you think :)

Wish everybody luck with the competition :guitar::guitar:

HI Stereo Steve,
Gave your mix a listen, enjoyed a lot. The only thing that seems to stand out in your mix would be that, you do some really nice build up going to the choruses, maybe too much? The choruses seem to be a little let down after all that build up. Seems like the chorus should mach the buildup, energy and drive. Maybe just a little tweaking of the Fxs (volume control) and or adding more energy and drive to the chorus? Whatever seems to work for you. Of course, that's just my opinion. Good Luck in the contest!

doctorbob,
Very nice mix! A little more original than the other mixes, but well dome. The only comment that I can hear in your mixes that, in some places, your Backup singers seemed to be featured as much as your Lead singer. I always thought the lead singer should be the featured one, with backups more in the back ground to support the lead. So, just a little volume control and, or Fx tweeking, and you'll have a great mix there! God Luck in the contest!

Hi there,
Thanks for this - yes it is a bit different than the others here. with the other comment I will redo the balance between the vocals and the instruments and look at the balance within the vocals as well (lead vs BV). Of course the BV's are the same singer ;-) ... perhaps a moot point as to whether they are BV's or just voices not singing the lead lines? I guess this is why they are perhaps up at more or less the same volume as the lead - all in my mind in deciding their context in the mix. Got a little time to check this out ... and post up another mix ... and see what peeps think.

As they say - watch this space.

I must say though, seems everyone knows their stuff here - me? first timing ...

Cheers, Rob

Ok guys thanks for the feedback on the ending you were 100% right. So I went back into logic pro and fixed that up as well as but some final eq on the track so heres the new version. Tell me what you think :)

Wish everybody luck with the competition :guitar::guitar:

Very Nice! I like it! John

Just uploaded my mix......I used NLS, C6 and 11 EfX to complex the mix. Waves NLS gives the DAW in my case PT11 the ability to bring things up or back in the mix via one of 32 channels from 3 different mixers. My Bus in NLS was the EMI Mike bus which is very wide mid and above with the noise on... for that matter all of the music and the lead vocals all have noise on. This is not a problem if you set up the correct gain structure like you were using a analog mixer. The gains are set to give each track its own tone, the Lead vocal is set to give a little grit at the peaks and the backgrounds are set to no noise and little or no drive in NLS with each vocal set to different mixers in pairs. As for the efx bus for each group batt ( 1), keys( 4 efx) , gtr(2 efx) and lead vocals( 4 efx) and backgrounds(1 efx) has a NLS channel and Comp/limiter. For the upload I used Sonnex codec Toolbox( very cool to audition the mix in mp3 but with the size limit the mp3 mix is not equal to the input )

Hi Guys

Just posted my Mix. What a cool song. Recorded very well and the arrangement is in the pocket. It makes for a great mixing experience.

I mixed in the box using Pro tools 10. Most standard plugins were used. I must ad. That many tracks on my humble system is pushing the limit. That is by far the most tracks ( Music ) I've had on my Pro Tools timeline.

Getting the lower mid's to sit well was a challenge. There was a lot of stuff happening down there.

Holding thumbs.
:thumbs up:

Did a listening on some of your mixes and wrote down some things I heard.

If you wanna listen to mine I have the link here :)

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/5726699/Amber Skye - Howlin Anders Final mix.m4a

HarveyA

Vocal sounds low in volume and the mix could use some eq to clear things up and the vocal could use a automation or another compression. Nice sound on the kick, round and warm! Balance could use some more attention IMO.

doctorbob

Vocal sound to harsh and make it hard to listen to. The overall mix sound to much high mid and miss the body and bass. The FX don´t give the mix what it need IMO. If you listen to music in the samre genre and where you think the tough is that this mix should be heard and compare yours is always a good idea.

Stereo steve

Miss the synth in the Intro. It have some nice pitch that I miss. Drumbeat sounds good and the vocal eq sounds good. The mix have some strange energy going on in the differens parts IMO.

svmuel

To much middy sounding for my taste and make it hard to listen to. Wanted to turn down my volume knob. Nice kick tough and balance!

AndreFerraz

Nice intro and feeling. Vocal sounds a tad harsh on some words and the overall sound is a tad muddy. Nice balance!

GT3000XX

Nice warm kick! Acoustic guitar sounds a tad muddy and the groove gets lost from it. The compressors/limiter makes the treble a tad tiering to listen to through the whole song. The delay after the first chorus is a nice touch but could use some more attention cause it´s a tad out of time. Nice balance and a good mix!

John watt

A bit to much compression for me, Sounds like a cla76 driven a tad to hard on the on the beat. and the overall sound is to much compressed IMO and a tad muddy. Balance sounds good to me tough!

Kelman100

overall a nice mix. could have used the energy flow a bit different but thats just my taste. Balance is good. Beat is a tad muddy and the vocal sound little distant some times. Good job!

Last edited:
Thnx Gozmizis

:D

That was some solid feedback. I went and listened to your track and Dammmn your clearly very well practiced :p:p:p. Seriously though sick mix.

The advice you gave me about how compressed my track was really was true. So I went back had a fresh start and though Im not sure about it I've re-uploaded my mix. Didn't really change any of the plugins I used (except less compression HAHA) :D

You guys can check it out here, Tell me if you think i've done a better job?? than my original mix :)

Contest

Hello all mixing folks!

Exiting to hear your contributions to the contest, the results of so many choices there is for a mix.

I made my mix in Logic Pro X with moderade use of Logic's internal compressor and channel EQ, some UAD reverb (EMT 140 plate), delay (Cooper time cube), tube simulation on vocals (B-610) and stereo bus EQ (Pultec legacy). I was primarily focusing on the level relationships between lead vocals and bass and then I tried to find the right place for everything else. Most tracks are still there, except for some of the guitars i think.

Here is my mix!

View attachment Amber Skye - Howlin - ADIEN SWE.mp3

Great fun to practice with someone else's work.

Daniel / Stockholm / Sweden

Last edited:
:D

That was some solid feedback. I went and listened to your track and Dammmn your clearly very well practiced :p:p:p. Seriously though sick mix.

The advice you gave me about how compressed my track was really was true. So I went back had a fresh start and though Im not sure about it I've re-uploaded my mix. Didn't really change any of the plugins I used (except less compression HAHA) :D

You guys can check it out here, Tell me if you think i've done a better job?? than my original mix :)

Much improved John! :cool:

Hello all!

Hope you all had as much fun as I did mixing this tune! As a producer/mix engineer I always enjoy when I can give each instrument it's on space in a song.

Happy Competing

JAMM

Back