PureMix / Sonnox Mixing Contest!

I agree !

I don´t agree ! Due to personal experience ! I bought ALL of the Puremix videos and I didn´t win ;-)

I didn´t participate in this mix contest with the goal to win.
Havin´ this in mind, I really don´t arouse the suspicion to be a sore loser :)
I think I did break the rules and this made me noncompetitive anyway.
I provided a new approach and recorded in my studio some drums and percussion parts, because the existing ones didn´t convice me at all !

As a professional mixing/mastering engineer, the four winner mixes (congrats anyway) didn´t convince me neither ...
they´re all very close to the original.
Was that really the goal ? Isn´t it more interesting to listen to new approaches and CREATIVITY ???

I assumed more ability to judge professionalism and creativity here.
But what are they saying in buddhism ?
"Don´t expect anything, so you won´t be disappointed !" :)

I dont think they listened to all 800 mixes. Imagine that !
I would have to take a break of 17 weeks after that ...

Nonetheless here´s my approach

Any comments are appreciated :)

really like the drums but they lack presence maybe boost them a little?

I didn't win, sigh…. Oh well I guess. I'm thankful for progress. I went ahead and mastered my mix of this song. Just in case anyone is interested. Input is probably no that important now… Unless you want to comment, it's fine.

I didn't win, sigh…. Oh well I guess. I'm thankful for progress. I went ahead and mastered my mix of this song. Just in case anyone is interested. Input is probably no that important now… Unless you want to comment, it's fine.

Seems ok not a lot of lows tho and the volume count be higher but that's not really the most important, maybe could have used a little bit more reverb/delay but that's just my taste. Seems like an O.K. mix!

Thanks Vigo! I really appreciate that. I think some delay probably would make this thing better. It's interesting though, because I thought I had more reverb in it. However, after bouncing the track, it's not as present.

Hello All!
after listening to the winners mixes (congrats...!)
I wonder if my mix been missed :)
what do you think about it?

soundcloud.com/supersonicstudio-1/howlin-amit-golan-mix

I agree !

I don´t agree ! Due to personal experience ! I bought ALL of the Puremix videos and I didn´t win ;-)

I didn´t participate in this mix contest with the goal to win.
Havin´ this in mind, I really don´t arouse the suspicion to be a sore loser :)
I think I did break the rules and this made me noncompetitive anyway.
I provided a new approach and recorded in my studio some drums and percussion parts, because the existing ones didn´t convice me at all !

As a professional mixing/mastering engineer, the four winner mixes (congrats anyway) didn´t convince me neither ...
they´re all very close to the original.
Was that really the goal ? Isn´t it more interesting to listen to new approaches and CREATIVITY ???

I assumed more ability to judge professionalism and creativity here.
But what are they saying in buddhism ?
"Don´t expect anything, so you won´t be disappointed !" :)

I dont think they listened to all 800 mixes. Imagine that !
I would have to take a break of 17 weeks after that ...

Nonetheless here´s my approach https://soundcloud.com/hybridrums/anadigiintractableremix

Any comments are appreciated :)

My goal was not to make my mix sounds like the original one! I listened for it after I have posted my own! And the goal of the contest was not to make own copy of the original mix or to make some dramatic differences neither! The main goal was to listen dry tracks, listen to song, find that mood and that atmosphere which were in Amber's and Ben's mind! I'm not trying to tell that my mix is the best, i am surprised too that I am one of the winners, but for now I would like to change some things in my mix! But my mix fits the jury's taste and I'm glad about it!

Most of the mixes here was so far away from the mood of that song! Too much of high frequencies, too little dynamic ranges and differences through the song and some other real objective (not subjective) mixing things! Maybe it is about your tastes and thats fine! Thats because there are a lot of mixing engineers around the world! But for this particularly song - it didn't match!

My point is there are a lot of mixing contests and if you did not win in this one - you can do it in another! And it is not race! If someone (me and other three guys) win - it does not mean that you loose! It is just a game!

So, lets be more gentle to each other! Thank you!

But for this particularly song - it didn't match!
My approach did match absolutely ! It gave the song a new sound, more lively.
The new drumpart did match the mood way more than the original one.
Are you open enough to appreciate other approaches ?
Are you experienced enough to appreciate my professional playing ?
If all is taste, than your statement is inappropriate.

My point is there are a lot of mixing contests and if you did not win in this one - you can do it in another! And it is not race! If someone (me and other three guys) win - it does not mean that you loose! It is just a game!
Did you read my post ? Or you just grab one and reply with my quote to the thread ?
"I did not particpate in this contest with the goal to win."
That´s what I said.
That was what I thought by downloading the tracks.
I really don´t have to win some contest.
Every new client is a contest to win ...

So, lets be more gentle to each other! Thank you!
:confused: Who wasn´t gentle ? Me and others did congratulate the winners.
Everybody is granting the winners everything, no worry.
If we don´t like a blueprint mix, because it´s pointless, than that´s our gentle opinion.

Last edited:
Hello All!
after listening to the winners mixes (congrats...!)
I wonder if my mix been missed :)
what do you think about it?

soundcloud.com/supersonicstudio-1/howlin-amit-golan-mix

Damn nice mix man, only parts im not sure is the kick sound and the chorus voices but that's just my taste nice mix!

Last edited:
My approach did match absolutely ! It gave the song a new sound, more lively.
The new drumpart did match the mood way more than the original one.
Are you open enough to appreciate other approaches ?
Are you experienced enough to appreciate my professional playing ?
If all is taste, than your statement is inappropriate.

Did you read my post ? Or you just grab one and reply with my quote to the thread ?
"I did not particpate in this contest with the goal to win."
That´s what I said.
That was what I thought by downloading the tracks.
I really don´t have to win some contest.
Every new client is a contest to win ...

:confused: Who wasn´t gentle ? Me and others did congratulate the winners.
Everybody is granting the winners everything, no worry.
If we don´t like a blueprint mix, because it´s pointless, than that´s our gentle opinion.

Im sorry) I reply to your message, but it was sent and to others who think or said about pay2win and other not gentle things)

I am opened to new approaches and i like to experiment! But in this contest the main rule was not to be sound producers, we should be mixing engineers! If I thought as sound producer - I change some things in this song too for my taste, or maybe add something or delete! Thats nice and this is what I always do with my clients and with my own projects! But in this contest I turn off that kind of thinking and just improve (for my taste) all that things which were in the raw song)) Just as if I was hired to mix and not to talk :))) That's all))

And it does not mean that all of participants who experiment with this song, who changed some drum sounds or distorted some vocals made huge mistake! Absolutely not! It is nice! But it is not fit to the rules! thats all)) I hear a lot of work in this thread and I really like a lot of them, a lot more than 4 ))) But if you want to experiment or change something in song - it is your right, but you should not be surprised that mixes which are similar to original one could became the winner's mixes :))

And again, I tell it not only to you, MUsic DEsign, but also and to others who surprised by the jury's decision)

Congrats to the winners! Would be really nice to hear some motivation from the judges what made thoose ones catch their ears more than the others cause that is what all we mixing engineers are fighting for everyday when clients are gonna choose the next one to mix their album or song.

Back