Public Mix Contest #3!!!

Even though the contest is over, I still would like to give the tracks my own flavor, if its cool, just to see the difference.

Blue Bear Sound said:
A couple of people of asking about the "Imaging/Soundstage" section.... most people did fairly poorly in this area.

This category rated how the mix was presented in the soundstage between the 2 speakers. Does the soundfield make sense? Are the individual tracks clearly defined in a point of space between the speakers?? Is the mix well-balanced between left/right???

These were all points that were analyzed for this category. I found many people's mixes leaned very unevenly to one side or another and many failed to focus the different tracks to a point in space. I was actually surprised at how few paid people attention to these critical elements.

Failing to hear these sometimes subtle details can be a sign that your monitors, or the space they're in, are masking critical information. Or - it could even be as simple as irregular monitor placement.

In fact,I did another mix version with my entry.it sounds different.
can I send you for listening and compare with my Previous one?
would like to know if it's good or better as well:)

I'd be Paula any day =O

I think I compressed the kick... actually I flat out replaced the kick.... not the best sample in the world, and not the best triggering.... free trigger and free sample.... In fact, I dont even like it too much, but I was running out of time, and just wanted to do something that hopefully would be a little bit different than most people.

I dont remember on the snare, may have used some compression, but not much.

I mixed some compression into the guitars, which I kind of think I shouldn't have, and probably wouldn't have if I'd spent more time on it.

One thing I think I did wrong was that I used much too little of the drum overheads, which are one of the tracks in such a mix that have the most depth and dimension to them, so that would have helped the space a lot if I had better utilized that sonic information.

As I said, I can't wait till next time, this was a lot of fun. Being exposed to something I didn't track was nice, as it enabled me to focus more on my mixing faults, and not tracking faults/limitations.

This contest was really fun and I'm impressed by how Giles managed it, but I'm not very impressed with the results...

Cool fin. :)I assume you did good on your bandwidth useage/// I just upgraded my Internet connection. Just waiting for them to time it out.... Should be 3 times what I had before. :)

giles117 said:
Cool fin. :)I assume you did good on your bandwidth useage/// I just upgraded my Internet connection. Just waiting for them to time it out.... Should be 3 times what I had before. :)

Sweet! :)

So you and Bruce will be judging the next one.
Thanx again Brian, you rock my man! :D

We may have our "Paula" to assist in the judging... details pending...

BTW, Bryan -- are we all going to use the same rating chart? (If so, I can provide the template............)

Back