Public Mix Contest #3!!!

Yeah well done Badchi.

Thanks for doing the judging there BlueBear. It would have taken a while.

I got a Yikes on my lowend. I'm gonna hopefully be able to improve on that now that my new Wharfie monitors have arrived. It's great to get a detailed analysis on a mix like that.

That was fun, I'm looking forward to the next one

well looking at the results i see blue bear dont know a damn thing about mixing metal music the "winners" mix one the kick you can barley hear thats the most proment sound in this genre of metal music sometimes offten really the kick drum will be loud or just as loud as the vocal second the vocals themselves you can hear the compressors breathing i.e pumping all through out and the guitars you can hear are forced to the front with 2 much un natural un musical compression and overall the mix sounds like complete shit
which tells me 1 blue bears ears are fried or 2 he doesnt know a damn thing about what metal music should sound like and should study the genre more

Yay... 4th... awesome.. especially considering I don't have nay monitors yet..!
Thanks BB...
I'll have to check out the other mixes later...
Congrats to badchi...

bloody hell...towel boy again...sigh :(

lol, on to the next...

Listened to Badchi's mix, ya, nice one. I'm expecting full disclosure of mix notes :) heh, just kidding. Lot's of definition in the mix, great stuff.

BB, glad you added the new category. I thought it, or something like it, was sort of missing last time around, but being at the back of the pack I didn't want to say anything.

Yeah, I would love to know some of badchi's mixing strategies / gear/plugins used and how.

Mainly the depth and imaging... I dont know quite how it's done! It sounded pretty nice as a first listen, but firing up my mix after it, mine sounded completely dead and small. not the way I remembered it! =O

edit: oh boy... I'm excited for next time.

doulos said:
overall the mix sounds like complete shit

Yes.. I would agree that the second place mix is actually the best.. :D

Just kidding! Congrats to the winner, thanks to BlueBear and everyone involved, this is fun! And I got the silver mixing medal.. :p

(Yo Cary!)

Congrats!

Nice job too all that that entered and thumbs up to Schenker and Badachi!

Thanx to Bruce and Brian onc e again for all thier hard work. :cool:

If the two of you are interested in doing this again please let me know via e-mail, or if anyone would be interested in judging along side Bruce please drop me a mail.

Thanx again to all that entered, the next one should be a kick! :)

chris@geomana.com

Wow! I didn't expect to end up in first (especially considering the amount of time I spent on it. I found out about the contest late and set myself a goal of knocking it out as quickly as possible. If I could go back, believe me, there's many things I would change.

Thanks to Blue Bear for taking the time to listen, Giles117 for hosting the entries and xfinsterx for providing the kick ass song. I'm totally looking forward to the next contest.

doulos said:
well looking at the results i see blue bear dont know a damn thing about mixing metal music the "winners" mix one the kick you can barley hear thats the most proment sound in this genre of metal music sometimes offten really the kick drum will be loud or just as loud as the vocal second the vocals themselves you can hear the compressors breathing i.e pumping all through out and the guitars you can hear are forced to the front with 2 much un natural un musical compression and overall the mix sounds like complete shit
which tells me 1 blue bears ears are fried or 2 he doesnt know a damn thing about what metal music should sound like and should study the genre more
*sour grapes*
Why did you even bother entering if you weren't going to respect my analysis?? You knew I was judging this, dumb-ass... :rolleyes:

Regardless, I've heard your mixes -- you don't know half of what you think you do, mr. doulos..... actually, I think it's even less than that! I've never seen anyone more opinionated-yet-clueless than you..... unreal....... :rolleyes:

Last edited:
Hi Blue Bear!
Thanks for your professional judge!
would you give me a detail that how I can make my mix improve?
I don't understand the part - Imaging/Sound Stage -
and the lacking low end problem,is it because that I wide the mix too much and the bass was moved from center?

A couple of people of asking about the "Imaging/Soundstage" section.... most people did fairly poorly in this area.

This category rated how the mix was presented in the soundstage between the 2 speakers. Does the soundfield make sense? Are the individual tracks clearly defined in a point of space between the speakers?? Is the mix well-balanced between left/right???

These were all points that were analyzed for this category. I found many people's mixes leaned very unevenly to one side or another and many failed to focus the different tracks to a point in space. I was actually surprised at how few paid people attention to these critical elements.

Failing to hear these sometimes subtle details can be a sign that your monitors, or the space they're in, are masking critical information. Or - it could even be as simple as irregular monitor placement.

I did have a question for everyone on the drums. Primarily the kick and snare. How did you guys approach these? Automate? Compress? Limit? All of the above? None of the above? :rolleyes:

Blue Bear Sound said:
Geet - see above.......!

Hmm. I'll have to listen to my mix again. I was just confused with this. I had my guitars panned hard left and right. I believe the overheads were too. If not, they were just under hard. The toms were panned left, a little bit left, and right. Not hard, but a decent amount.

Oh well. Thanks for the oppurtunity to mix the song, and thank you Blue Bear. You should do this in the MP3 Mixing Clinic. Heh.

Badchi said:
I did have a question for everyone on the drums. Primarily the kick and snare. How did you guys approach these? Automate? Compress? Limit? All of the above? None of the above? :rolleyes:
I compressed the snare and kick. Though I'm under the impression that a ratio above 8:1 or so is considered limiting. So I guess I limited the kick.

I don't remember my settings.

Back