Post your latest purchase!

You sure about that? Look at the big contour above the knobs. There's some depth there.

You can form veneer into a contour like that. Also the recesses behind the knobs are a different colour to the face. If you look at the top right knob recess you can see the exact depth of the veneer by the dark colour of the burl, which only extends about a millimetre down into the recess.

I don't think you can build a guitar from a chunk of burled wood. That's why I think it's a veneer. Then as Bubba points out, the recesses under the switch and knobs are not burled wood.

However it's done, I love the look.

I don't think you can build a guitar from a chunk of burled wood.

I think you could, but it would be quite expensive for the timber. Not prohibitively so, though. The biggest problem is the heterogeneous nature of the wood - the hardness, density, grain direction, resin content and a hundred other factors would be all churned up throughout the timber and would be likely to cause warping and other instabilities in the body, even with a properly seasoned and kiln-dried piece.

I think you could, but it would be quite expensive for the timber. Not prohibitively so, though. The biggest problem is the heterogeneous nature of the wood - the hardness, density, grain direction, resin content and a hundred other factors would be all churned up throughout the timber and would be likely to cause warping and other instabilities in the body, even with a properly seasoned and kiln-dried piece.
you definitely can ..... I had a moonstone that was a big piece of burl something .... but holy crap it was too heavy for me even when I was young!
It was HEAVY!!

A friend of a friend told me about a someone who wanted to get rid of some vinyl today so I went up to be nosey and, much to the wife's disgust, took the lot off him for free. Also got a pair of Wharfedale and a pair of Sony Speakers, a Magnetophon Reel2Reel, a box full of old 8 Track Cassettes and an old Sewing Machine.

After going through the lot, I've took out a shit load (around 150) of original 50's and 60's vinyl to add to my collection, along with loads of old 78's. The rest will go on eBay for someone else to pick through and do with what they will.

I couldn't believe I got it all in the car :laughings:

11755850_10154156574899569_8902549038464159173_n.jpg

11800579_10154156574814569_7437804099037288572_n.jpg

1972 Fidelity UA1. Still has the original bill of sale, warranty and user guide with it. 1 owner since new. Spare needle and belt. I got it at a reasonable price too.

:thumbs up:

Back