Post Your Analog Recordings Here...

Hi guys,

I rarely do this but I'm approaching this next release a lot different than I've done anything in the past. I've taken much more time writing and arranging these new songs than I ever have before. Having said that, this song was written in an afternoon. The recording process wasn't. I did a lot of experimenting with this one, as I had gotten a new Fostex Model 80 and wanted to really get into it. I recorded the drums, guitar and bass to 5 tracks on the Model 80 and then dumped them all into Logic. I did some EQ and ran them back to a stereo pair on the Fostex. When I did the vocals I turned the pitch speed wheel up to 2 o'clock and did all the takes and then when I did the keyboard tracks I turned it down just a touch lower than 12. After all was said and done I dumped the whole thing back into Logic and mixed it. I recently mastered it using Ozone 7 and haven't let anyone hear it yet.

Please give it a listen and let me know what you think. I've grown to value the opinions of the community and had some great feedback for a rough mix of a different song so I am hoping to get some other perspectives. After being close to this for the last 3 months I am ready for some feedback.

I really appreciate it.

https://soundcloud.com/defnder/of-course-sick

Just finished this one last night Recorded on the Tascam 388.
It's a little rushed and messy in spots.

Wow, yeah you really do sound like Gilmore here! I'd never noticed that before about your voice.

You always double your vocals, yes?

Cool tune!

Two songs recently recorded with my band (and with accompanying videos).

Tracked and mixed on tape down to 1/4" stereo then final mix digitized and overall volume raised a bit.

Songs are called 'Nightcats' and 'Everyday'

Cool groove and nice tones on "Nightcats." Vocal has a Bono vibe to it.

Where's "Everyday?"

Hi Guys. After a very kind comment by Level Anything I've finally got the courage to post a track here. I've refurbished my old Tascam 244 as I've mentioned a bit in my posts and have been digitising my old tapes. JP kindly sold me a Terratec rack which I used for this track, recorded 1990. It is just a demo and very rough in places but I prefer it to the final version somehow. The old Roland drum machine sounds very dated I'm afraid! But at least the time code could trigger the playback ok from the DAW. Just to show how well tape can survive really.

https://soundcloud.com/user-365948389/runaround-early-demo

Wow, yeah you really do sound like Gilmore here! I'd never noticed that before about your voice.

You always double your vocals, yes?

Cool tune!

Thanks.
Yeah, this song is doubled. I don't do it for every song though. Sometimes I can get away with a single vocal track, but I do double a lot because it sounds better with my voice. Single tracks can sometimes sound weak.

This link will work. This is my master of what might be the lead off song on my debut coming out in March. It's called "Of Course Sick" I recorded it to my Fostex model 80 and mixed it in Logic. I mastered it with Ozone 7 and did about 4 versions until I got this one that I thought had the best presence and character. I've heard it so much though. My own opinion is the guitars could come down a bit. Please take a listen and let me know what you think. Notes appreciated.

This link will work. This is my master of what might be the lead off song on my debut coming out in March. It's called "Of Course Sick" I recorded it to my Fostex model 80 and mixed it in Logic. I mastered it with Ozone 7 and did about 4 versions until I got this one that I thought had the best presence and character. I've heard it so much though. My own opinion is the guitars could come down a bit. Please take a listen and let me know what you think. Notes appreciated.

Great tune! It kinda has a grungy T-Rex vibe too it.
The overall sound is good, but the vocals seem a bit buried. The loud guitars sound good. IF you plan on remixing, try lowering them a touch and raising the vocals a tad.
Loved the intro and ending. Did you flip te tape for that effect or was it done on a synth?

Dude, excellent song and very good production. Really dig the voice. Kind of shoegazy but without the excessive and over the top digital reverb. And the Fostex Model 80 is a sweet machine.
Girlfriend digs it too.

Why? Cause its MySpace?

@Stogie,

Good solid tune. Never apologise for your music. :)

Msr 16s are great machines, aren't they. But I'm biased.
:thumbs up:

@ Jharv

I agree. I was thinking it would help to lower the guitars a touch but I just realized that I had taken the instrumental from the Model 80 and put it into Logic to mix and then ran the mix back into the Fostex to get myself some extra tracks to do vocals on, so that's impossible now. Oh well. I dig the T. Rex comparison. I'm a huge fan of that era.

@WarmJetGuitar

I really appreciate you taking the time. I'm new to mastering so I'm not confident in in some of the techniques. Especially multi-band compression which I've seen done to another track of mine that resulted in bringing it's low end to life while taming some shrill high mid stuff. When I try to do it I just end up making everything sound nervous haha. I give my tracks anxiety.

Thank you for the feedback!

Back