Post Your Analog Recordings Here...

Here's a Christmas song by my side project Ziggy Zigford and the Zigsters. It's our first song for a couple of years and is recorded all in analogue. Enjoy!!

You've got the late 70s vibe down pat. Was that a BBC micro used make the picture?

Here's a Christmas song by my side project Ziggy Zigford and the Zigsters. It's our first song for a couple of years and is recorded all in analogue. Enjoy!!

I like it! Kudos.

It's hard to do a 'good' original Christmas song seeing how the genre is flooded.

This is fun, original and very enjoyable to listen to.

Besides, it's chock full of truth! How many of us wouldnt want to spend Christmas in a pub with our friends!

You got a winner!
:D :thumbs up:

Morgan Square

Happy new year everyone... so glad 2016 eventually chose to f*ck off.

Here's a recording of some friends I did in 2015. Due to lots of messy circumstances it havn't seen the light of day before now. These guys played psychedelic rock with odd structures and great melodies and did just that better than almost anyone IMHO. They've since had some line up changes and are in a transformation process.
Recording this on the Fostex G16 was amazingly fun times - and difficult to mix due to the track length.

https://soundcloud.com/morgansquare/yellow-soon

Here's a recording of some friends I did in 2015. Due to lots of messy circumstances it havn't seen the light of day before now. These guys played psychedelic rock with odd structures and great melodies and did just that better than almost anyone IMHO. They've since had some line up changes and are in a transformation process.
Recording this on the Fostex G16 was amazingly fun times - and difficult to mix due to the track length.

Oh, I like that. Syd Barrett meets Kula Shaker. Is there a way to purchase/download it?

As for mixing extended pieces, I often end up mixing them in sections. I'll mix the song as far as I can, and if I get in a position where I like most of it but part of it needs to be redone, or the beginning was good but I slipped near the end, I'll rewind to just after it went wonky and mix that part again. Then I can edit the pieces together. A lot of my long songs either have a gap or an abrupt change where I can do the edit without it being too noticeable.
Bonus points if you do this with razorblades. Live dangerously!

Oh, I like that. Syd Barrett meets Kula Shaker. Is there a way to purchase/download it?

As for mixing extended pieces, I often end up mixing them in sections. I'll mix the song as far as I can, and if I get in a position where I like most of it but part of it needs to be redone, or the beginning was good but I slipped near the end, I'll rewind to just after it went wonky and mix that part again. Then I can edit the pieces together. A lot of my long songs either have a gap or an abrupt change where I can do the edit without it being too noticeable.
Bonus points if you do this with razorblades. Live dangerously!

Thank you man, really glad you like it :-) This is my all time favourite danish band so recording them was obviously a great experience for me.
I probably should just do edits for the future. However I mix down to Audacity in 48/24 and editing in Audacity is a PITA - add to that the laptop sits somewhere not so accesible due to lack of space. But yeah, would sure be a time saver.
And hell yeah, mixing down to tape at 15 ips would be ideal. Lately there's been some good deals on Studers and Tandbergs but I'm notoriously broke. Give it a year or so - cutting a record straight from 1/4" would be the purist way to go.

Sent you a private message for the downloads.

Last edited:

Cool stuff. Reminds me of Brian Jonestown Massacre a lot.

The Motivation Radio

https://soundcloud.com/onathanjgaard/the-motivation-radio-99-bpm-breakdown

Here's some music by my new project called The Motivation Radio. It's droney and psychedelic.
For those who rather just skip to the music instead of reading through my self inflicted insomnic rambling, I blame you not.
The song is not mastered but fortunately you're not like the hawks of the loudness war anyway and I trust you to turn up the volume button if so inclined :cool: Free download for a WAV included, the streaming of Soundcloud is far from ideal.

Things ain't going so well however it makes sense to go to the studio all night and mess with music, gear and getting utterly wasted :listeningmusic:
Haven't wrote a song for more than a year, been busy travelling a lot and also I don't have to because I play with a great songwriter and singwriter. It's been liberating to take a break from that, but hell yeah it feels good to be back at it too. This night a great friend and former bandmate of mine dropped by Århus and helped me finished the track by adding a lush chorus guitar and percussion I wouldn't been having been able to play myself. Dhabuka on a seperate track and shaker, tambourine and cowbell bounced down to one track. The shaker survived the generation loss surprisingly well, using a brighter mic like the Neumann KMS5 with some pre-emphatis helps a bit.

Most of the reverb on the drums comes from my beloved Oktava MK-319 placed on a concrete coridor, the rest is from spring reverb. Nothing digital here except for maybe the chorus effect and the stylophone. The kit was miked with D112 on the bass, Beyer M201TG on the snare, SM57 on the ride cymbal and floor tom and a B&O Beomic 3 as a mono overhead. F*ckloads of compression on the way to tape on that, the bass and the vocals.

Still don't know whether this project is my solo project with important contributions from friends or this is Michaels and mine new band. Might go back and make a more polished mix later, however we felt like sharing it straight away and proiritized vibe over "perfection" this time.

Hope you enjoy. Have yourself a great weekend.

Last edited:
Man guys, it seems like forever since I had something to post, many projects but not many to the point of sharing on the internet. Back in November my university started a new film festival, all centered around the number 14, and the challenge of it was to come up with a movie from scratch and complete it in 14 days, had to be under 14min long. I offered up my services to all 8 participating teams, and worked on 6 projects. Unfortunately 2 of the teams didn't use my music in their final films, and 2 projects fell through and weren't completed in time, but of the 2 that came through, 1 was recorded on my Tascam 244 using an Arturia Minibrute synthesizer, and you can find it below:

It was mixed in ProTools. I can't say it's my best work ever, but with so many projects going on at once, on this one my prompting from the director was to give him about 3min of atmosphere (which was done before the movie was even shot), and I left its placement up to him.

Man guys, it seems like forever since I had something to post, many projects but not many to the point of sharing on the internet. Back in November my university started a new film festival, all centered around the number 14, and the challenge of it was to come up with a movie from scratch and complete it in 14 days, had to be under 14min long. I offered up my services to all 8 participating teams, and worked on 6 projects. Unfortunately 2 of the teams didn't use my music in their final films, and 2 projects fell through and weren't completed in time, but of the 2 that came through, 1 was recorded on my Tascam 244 using an Arturia Minibrute synthesizer, and you can find it below:

It was mixed in ProTools. I can't say it's my best work ever, but with so many projects going on at once, on this one my prompting from the director was to give him about 3min of atmosphere (which was done before the movie was even shot), and I left its placement up to him.

Works well with the film...well done.
Al

Very cool. Love the sound of that. Not hissy or muddy. That put me in a totally relaxed state.
Damn! I want the 90's back!

Thanks brother. The dbx is working great on that machine. There is a dropout (every time I hear it it's glaring lol) but that's the tape, not the unit. I wish I could do it over again too (the 90's, maybe the song too...)

Back