Pmc #13

mrhotapples said:
I mean it though : (

I compress the shit out of everything. Especially guitars. It's the only way I know. Sometimes I feel a bit excessive about everything.

Well, the only way to fix that problem is to force yourself to mix with NONE for awhile so you can reaccustom your ears to how things really sound...

Okay, here's my first pass. Won't be the last, but I think I'm not miles away, anyhow..

First, BIG props to the songwriter. I could really feel that pain. I thought about my three year old sleeping, who has never been spanked yet, and I thanked all that's holy that she's warm, and safe, and has no scars like that to bear. I couldn't resist punctuating the hollow, achy pain in my heart this song caused me with my own little addition at the end...

I used EVERYTHING. I haven't edited anything for time yet (the snare fill, and a couple of guitar entrances).

I yanked all the bleed on the toms, kick, and hats. The drums are dry with the exception of the isolated tom parts. I did take some effects liberties on the vox and three of the guitar parts, but this is mostly left well enough alone...

Ooops forget about telling you that my mix will be available in few days...but instead, here it is, just 4 hours after I download this kick ass song....

Here's my mix and probably the First and Final Mix...

Oops ooops just probably...... :D
Thnx for the PMC13, I was craving for this event ......

Mix Mix Mix

http://www.lightningmp3.com/live/file.php?fid=7974

Jerberson Rulz
Guitar Eats Potato

Last edited:
mrhotapples said:
I like my mix best of all! Is that bad or good?

mine's better. :p

but seriously, of course you like yours best of all! you made it to your own liking. :cool:

I hereby hire Zed32 as my psychiatrist.

TIME FOR A NEW MIX! This time, with less generous reverb portions and a higher bitrate!

Mix #2!

I need to stop mixing fueled only by caffeine...*sighs*

While I'm posting in a topic that will get some reads, does/did anyone find it depressing that as they added treatment to their control room, music became less and less exciting and more and more flat? FLAT IS NOT FUN!? This is awful!

Great job guys on your mixes.

I should have mine up by tomorrow, I have to do a little mastering on my mix as it is WAY too low in volume, but I do like the way my mix is sounding.

NL5 said:
Hopefully the judges that volunteered in the other thread are still onboard.

The File can be found at-'

http://www.lightningmp3.com/upload/mixcontest13.zip

It is in 24/44.1 format wav files. All tracks start at the same time.

Can't wait to hear the entries! :D

Oh..... Just read this. I'm there for ya.

I was wondering just for my own fun if this was done to a click? If so could you tell me the bpm? If not it's cool.

Let me know when judging time comes around.

F.S.

OK I am listening to mixes tonight, stay tuned for comments . . .

zed32: damn, not bad. give it a bit more air though, and strive for a little more punch on the lows

xfinsterx: not used to judging your stuff! evil sound on the guitars, nice on the bass, excellent headphone mix too. Totally solid all around. I want the toms in the section in the middle to be huger, but that is really just a personal preference. Really this is the reference mix.

NL5: kind bright the high mids on the guitars, harsh. The vocals sound good but they need a little more room carved out for them. Good classic sound on the middle section.

Is it just me, or does this track need a wailing guitar solo :confused:

zed32 #2: I think #1 is a better starting point. #2 sounds phasey, distorted, and thin.

DonF: I think I hear where you are going with this, but you're still a ways away. Go back to the drum submix and get the snare and overheads to sound like they are in the same space as the hats and kick. The vocal verbs are to the point of distraction.

bigwillz24: you can't bury the vocals that deep. It ain't just level, it's dynamics. Your vocals still have lots of dynamics, the rest of the track has very little. The guitars are very hot in the high mids/highs where the vocals should be on top.

mrhotapples #2: hmm, kinda sorry I missed the snare reverb version, I like Def Leppard. On this version, I think the vocals are like 80% wet. Did Timmy fall down the well again?

StudioMxPx: vocals would be nice, also the snare is waaaaay too hot. Also while I liked the tom mics, I don't really want to hear the sympathetic resonance of the tom heads, instead of say, reverb.

Llarion: A bit crispy on the highs. After the intro, I think you need to back off a bit on the flanger. Really this is all over the place, some bits are quite good, other times it's very harsh. I think you should make a decision on what the basic sound should be.

jerberson12: need to watch that second guitarist's parts, they can overwhelm the track when they enter, and that will throw your levels all over the place.

OK keep 'em coming. I promise to be nicer in judging, right now I just want y'all to get these as good as you can!

Last edited:
Here it is

Here it is: Fishmed's Mix

I listened to it all day at a very low level and thought it sounded good. When I got home I did three diferent masters; one with no added eq, another with more mids and the last with more mids and lows. I like the one without any extra EQ as it sounded "punchier" (the word of the day). :D

Llarion: A bit crispy on the highs. After the intro, I think you need to back off a bit on the flanger. Really this is all over the place, some bits are quite good, other times it's very harsh. I think you should make a decision on what the basic sound should be.

Was there a particular instrument you found edgy, or was it the master in general? Do you think whatever is harsh is thus because of EQ, or density, or some other factor?

When there are this many parts, it's hard to choose among them. The flanger was an experiment, I wasn't sure if *I* even liked it... :)

Back