Pmc #13

here's my version 2. my last one was a little muddy, so i changed the guitars a bit and went for a sharper, wider overall tone that emphasizes the guitars in the mix. turned the vocal down a tad. turned up the kick and did a little volume automation. i think my drums still need some more work, but i'll get back to it later on. i like what i got out of the vox though. :D

http://www.lightningmp3.com/live/file.php?fid=7950

Uuugh I worked on this at 3:00a.m. last night for about an hour...OH MY GOD does this song invoke Metallica or what? MP3 soon!

Here we go. Like I said, 3 a.m. mix...It probably doesn't work too well. I don't have all the drums or vocals loaded in. That aside, maybe it's good. The bass guitar might be a bit too wild.

MP3

lol. That's a ten-four, good buddy.

Holy moly, my reverbs were all completely out of control. Hehehe.

Last edited:
bigwillz24 said:
Uhmm after listening to the others I feel Like I should have put a limiter on the 2mix. :D

You don't need to worry about mastering sort of steps for judging. In the last few PMCs I was a part of, nobody got penalized for a mix that wasn't loud enough. If somebody submitted a real quiet mix, I adjust gain so I am monitoring at roughly the same level.

On the other hand, I have downgraded people for ill-conceived "mastering" attempts. If a mix has an EQ problem, and you limit the master mix, it's going to get worse, now you have a problem with balance and with punch . . .

That said, if you do a good job and it makes the mix punchier, go right ahead.

Bottom line, don't mix to an RMS number, because if it isn't already punchy, another 2dB on the limiter isn't going to make it so.

I mean it though : (

I compress the shit out of everything. Especially guitars. It's the only way I know. Sometime,s I feel a bit excessive about everything.

Back