Piracy

Well I wouldn't compare software to music equipment.
A good mic is still a good mic in 10 years the software will be obsolete in a couple of months and you are again expected to cough up money for the "bugfix" of the previous version.
But I agree, if you make money with software you should pay for it.
And I wouldn't compare Microsofts products with other programs either because they cost 3 times less than the "pro" software (audio and graphic design for example).

Keijo

Well, not really. Someone didn't just grab Cakewalk or Vegas or Protools out of the ether, it was concieved and crafted by someone and just because it isn't tangable doesn't take away from it's worth. I'd want to be paid for my work if you're using my stuff if you're just hacking away in the basement or doing an album destined for this years Gramy. And the alternative to that would be "OK, make your own software" which for me just ain't an option. Just MHO.

Hmm.

Im a Software Developer.

And I think you..uhg..suck. Thanks for making infinitely harder for me to get a raise when review time comes.

Frank_1...what can I say. Everytime you post you just dig yourself in a little deeper. Maybe you should just read a little more and post less. And lose the monkey (your alter ego).

First, a little information on piracy:
There are two different types of software piracy. Blatant piracy is where you do not own the product, have no intention of paying money for it, so you copy it or download it for free. Then there is "casual piracy", which is practiced by many companies and such, where they pay for the original copy, but load the software on many different computers without paying for more user licenses. The latter is what most software companies are concerned with stopping. Take Windows XP for example; I heard a Microsoft rep asked whether he thought the new protection scheme could stop XP from being pirated. He explained that the main reason for the protection was to prevent "casual piracy".

Point #1: If you can't afford it, you can't have it!

Yes, I can have it. That is the great thing about the internet. God Bless Morpheus.

Point #2: Bullshit! Companies don't spend enormous amounts of capital on Research, Development, Marketing, and Distribution just to have their product hacked.

No, they spend enormous amounts of money to make money. But anyone knows that in the tech industry, the standard is the only thing that survives. Remember Prodigy? No, you probably don't because AOL was smart enough to GIVE THEIR PRODUCT AWAY; even though I'm sure they spent enormous amounts of capital on Research, Development, Marketing, and Distribution. Wish you would of bought AOL stock 5 years ago? So do I.

Point #3: Piracy doesn't increase availability, the product is ALREADY available, you just have to buy it! Hacked software = a revenue loss, NOT revenue generated.

Piracy DOES increase availability, in a major way. Don't you think more people are likely to use the software if they can get it for free? No matter how many people use a pirated piece of software, they will still be in the vast minority compared to the amount of people that pay. The pirated versions may be a short term revenue loss, but like shelling out $1,000,000 for a 30 sec Super Bowl spot, it will help their chances of standardization.

Point #4:Thats like saying "If I didn't want you to break into my house, and steal my stuff, or break into my car and steal it, I'd use something besides a lock and key!"

When it comes to protection schemes, software and tangible goods are two totally different animals. Software companies know how ridiculously easy it is to find serial codes, right in the comfort of your own home. The ease of which this can be done, coupled with the virtually 0% chance of being caught, leads normal "law abiding" citizens to do this. Almost all "law abiding" citizens WOULD draw the line at stealing tangible property, though, either due to moral convictions or the high chance of being caught. Software companies know this, and would come up with a better protection scheme to combat piracy, just as Microsoft has done with WinXP.

Napster was server based, Morpheous is peer-to-peer and can be used for legitimate purposes (not often, but it can)...

I also believe that intellectual property should not be stolen, and everyone should pay for the software we use... but I also feel that we are trapped in a Catch 22. The software companies factor in the money that they are losing to piracy when they price their software, the software costs too much money so people steal it, so the software company continues to charge more money.

Now let me ask this... If everyone who had a copy of Microsoft Office on their computer paid Microsoft the retail price for it, and piracy just went away... Do you really think that Microsoft would significantly reduce their selling price?

There's no easy solution, but regardless of what brought us here, these are the rules that we play by. You just don't steal...

Just an observation,

Steve

HEY....I couldn't afford a multitrack software program, so I went out and stole a Studer 2". Oh yeah...no plugins either. ....so I am planning on going back and getting the LARC and the Eventide that would fit in my truck in the first haul!!!:rolleyes:

Using pirated software is one issue. The fucking thinking that some morons come up with now a days is another issue. Go work at McDonalds, you lazy ass high schooler, and get off this fucking BBS while your at it too.

Synergy, you draw a fine line to justify what you are doing, but the premis remains the same: You are stealing! And that's just about as wrong as wrong can be.
Furthermore software is a tangible product. My software came in a box, it has manuals, disks, registration cards, those are pretty darn tangible if you ask me.
The ability to steal over the internet is not the beauty of it, it will be the downfall of it!
oh, and by the way, I do remember prodigy, and what AOL did, but you see, AOL wasn't selling the software, they were selling the service.

Synergy, you need to grow up a bit, get a little life experience under your belt, then maybe you'll see that stealing is still stealing and it simply is not justifable.

Track Rat
As long as it's avaliable, it's mine!

... and one more thing, I do read more then I post. Thanks for the concern. My "alter Ego" is staying right where it is thank you very much; always a help. :)

point to ponder

Michael Jones,

As a matter of fact.... Due in large part to the international "anti-terror" coaliton there was recently quite a large international bust of a piracy ring. (Scores of arrests, which will likely lead to further arrests.)

This will be like any traditional battle; now that the authorities are increasing the heat on piracy the dumb pirates will be caught or run out of the business, and the smart ones will go deeper underground. Escalation, and countermeasures.

Net-piracy is actually not as big a problem as pirated CDs that are rampant overseas (inside the US the net is certainly number one though.) Were you aware that there are even people that pirate-manufacture things like Shure microphones? It's counterfeiting, but they are calling it piracy, and it's not really much different from software "piracy" which is also nothing more than counterfeiting.

-Shaz

Give him the axe!!!

I made a dumb ass post about 9 months ago asking for pirated versions of Adobe Photoshop/Illustrator. I was immediately NUKED and kicked off the BBS by our fearless leader "The Dragon". Is this little piece of foreskin going to get the same treatment? I had to beg for reinstatement for about 10 days, because I really did not mean to be a prick. I was (am still a bit) new to computers in general and did not realize how big of a no no it is to snatch programs. The Dragon was cool enough to let me come back. But I certainly never called the guys on the BBS "paranoid fucks". I just hope that this BBS doesn't become riddled with pre-tean pimple poppers, that have no more respect for this BBS than they have for their parents that they tell to "fuck off!" Aragont little twirps!

Mike

It would be my sincere hope that any dumbshit that's stupid enough to ask for pirated software and advocate or try to justify its use ought to be booted ASAP. Imagine saying "I'm not making any money playing music so I'm completly justified in stealing this Paul Reed Smith and Mesa Boogie. Besides I could NEVER afford to BUY something like this and as long as it's easy to steal, its OK. Hey as long as the police ain't knockin' on my door, it's mine.
Do you know how fuckin stupid that sounds? Someone should send the cyber police to your door.

We know it's you SCOTT!!!

I hope you don't mean me. Better be another scott. Or I'll sue your fuckn ass's off. I don't even have a cracked plugin on my system. I even have a licence for 3dstudiomax (animation software) that cost me $6000.00 (Australian dollars that is too) just to do my animated film clips. Please tell me what Scott you mean. I know Im one of the only people who uses his actual name instead of some dorky handle. Im pissed off and definatelly do NOT support or practice the use of piracy. You rip off software and pluggins and you ripping us all off. Anyone for piracy, fuck them off this BBS imediately. Software is REAL, just like a les paul is real. Or a microphone is real.

"He who is without Sin"

You cast the first stone....

Piracy has been goung on for years, and will continue to do so.

I for one buy my software because if i like the product ill support it.

Whats funny to me is that Lars was b*tching and complaing about Napster yet the guy is around my age, I'll bet you everything I owe that Lars and a bunch of "Hollier than thou" people at one time or another went to their friends house, went through the LP's and made their favorite recordings on tape..

Yes including Lars!

Is this not considered Piracy?

If I buy a software program, its "mine" I own it. I payed for it.

If I choose to trade it for another software someone else has its my right.

As long as I dont profit on the sale of it.

If I trade a copy of Iron Maidens "Number of the Beast" that I bought for a copy of Black Sabbaths "Heaven and Hell" am I a criminal?

Chill Scott. Do a search for threads containing a gentleman with the name Father Time. That's the Scott refered to. (Dorky handle? I'm crushed. You've made me cry. I hope you're happy now).
:(

Re: "He who is without Sin"

EddieRice said:
You cast the first stone....

Piracy has been goung on for years, and will continue to do so.

Whats funny to me is that Lars was b*tching and complaing about Napster yet the guy is around my age, I'll bet you everything I owe that Lars and a bunch of "Hollier than thou" people at one time or another went to their friends house, went through the LP's and made their favorite recordings on tape..

Yes including Lars!

Is this not considered Piracy?

If I buy a software program, its "mine" I own it. I payed for it.

If I choose to trade it for another software someone else has its my right.

As long as I dont profit on the sale of it.

You're right, Piracy has been going on for years, and it will continue to do so as long as people continue to support it and try to justify it.
If you make a copy of an album that you own, say record it to tape, thats not piracy. Piracy begins with the unauthorized distrubution of copyrighted material. If you make that tape soley for your own use, then you haven't distributed it. When you rip an MP3 and give others access to it via Napster, then you have in fact distributed it! That's illeagle. That is wherein the problem lies.
If you own a software, and you choose to trade it to someone, then you have distributed it. Granted, you own it; that is you own the right to use it. You don't own the right to trade it. I could argue that if you traded it, then you percieved it's value to be lesser than what you paid for it (otherwise you wouldn't have traded it) and if you traded it, then you percieved the value of the trade to be greater than the value of the software; therefore, you have indeed profited.
When you buy a software package, there are terms you agree to, these terms are always posted in the set-up menu. You have to agree to them (by clicking the little box that says "I agree to the above terms") before you can install the software. Now, most of us, myself included, just kind of say "yeah, yeah, whatever", and click through this part. But it is a lawful binding contract.

The people preaching about the evils of piracy here have obviously never run a stop sign, never done 40 in a 35 mph zone and always, always wear their seatbelt. More power to ya brothers. :)

Good points MJ

Again let me say,

I buy all my software. I like having the full version and knowing I have customer support, but more so is the fact that I can afford it.

Whipping out 200 bones for a piece of software is nothing to me, unfortunately not everyone can.

Ive been stuck with some bad products in my time, as im sure alot of people have. Dont think for one second large companys dont "oversell" their products and bend customers over and screw them because they do. Not all, but alot do.

Its a 2 sided blade

I do alot of research now before i buy a product and make sure its what it says to be on the box. Because alot of software is non-refundable once opened.

I cant count how many times me and my friends back in the 80's use to go to record stores and he'd buy 1 record and I'd buy another and we would record the others on tape.

but your right about the distribution, with the age of computers, i highly doubt youll ever be able to prevent it.

I look at it like this, the people that clip software are most likely the ones that cant afford it anyways, which means that had piracy not been available, these are customers they most likely wouldnt have had anyways. Does it really hurt the company?

maybe, but hardly enough to cause them to file chapter 11

my 2 cents

Back