Paiste hi-hats and rides discovery

While I agree with you for the most part about cheap cymbals, I felt I should insert a differing opinion about this:

One thing about Paiste's that I've noticed is that they're very consistent with their higher end stuff. If you go to one place and whack a 16" 2002 crash and go somewhere else and whack another, they will sound very similar. If you hear one live, and then order one off the net, it's a gamble but you can be pretty sure that the Paiste will sound like you remember. You can't really say the same for Zildjian or Sabian.

Right. ON one hand, this may be what you want. And the quality control on those two major companies has tanked considerably with their growth in business size and concentration on 'demographic marketing' schemes... Just like REMO.

I on the other hand, like cymbals that have a bit, or more than a bit, of difference to them. I don't like Paiste in general, aside from the RUDE series, they've always felt funny to me under stick. And the last thing I want to do is to own cymbals that sound just like anyone else's.

I have a couple of smaller nice pairs of hi hats: 12 inch A's from the 70's, which work great as secondaries, and a pre-split 13" Istanbul pair. Both of which sound just fine and exhibit none of the qualities you seem to attribute to them.

I am still looking for a nice pair of Stagg DH 10" Hi Hats, they seem to have disappeared off the market in the USA.

I like all sorts of drum and cymbal sounds. Big, Small, everywhere in between. But then, I play a lot of 'ethnic' or world music and percussion based stuff, besides various western types. Which means I am required to play anywhere from rock, to funk, to reggae, to jazz...

y'all over on cymbalholics?

You need to check your math or learn to shop around better. They're not that different.

you have to remember that some of us don't live in the usa on this forum :rolleyes:

the thread starter and i are from the uk ;)

101 = £35 ($55.46)
pst3 = £45 ($71.30)
b8= £90 ($142.60)

not including p&p, do you still believe that's not that different greg? :D

nothing wrong with my math, that's a hell of a difference, SH from ebay is the best bet. when you don't have money you learn to be thrifty, and buying a b8 instead of a 101 with no real difference in quality is not being thrifty!! :D

While I agree with you for the most part about cheap cymbals, I felt I should insert a differing opinion about this:

Right. ON one hand, this may be what you want. And the quality control on those two major companies has tanked considerably with their growth in business size and concentration on 'demographic marketing' schemes... Just like REMO.

I on the other hand, like cymbals that have a bit, or more than a bit, of difference to them. I don't like Paiste in general, aside from the RUDE series, they've always felt funny to me under stick. And the last thing I want to do is to own cymbals that sound just like anyone else's.

I have a couple of smaller nice pairs of hi hats: 12 inch A's from the 70's, which work great as secondaries, and a pre-split 13" Istanbul pair. Both of which sound just fine and exhibit none of the qualities you seem to attribute to them.

I am still looking for a nice pair of Stagg DH 10" Hi Hats, they seem to have disappeared off the market in the USA.

I like all sorts of drum and cymbal sounds. Big, Small, everywhere in between. But then, I play a lot of 'ethnic' or world music and percussion based stuff, besides various western types. Which means I am required to play anywhere from rock, to funk, to reggae, to jazz...

y'all over on cymbalholics?

The problem with me & it's probably the same with pandamonk is that where we are situated in scotland we have no (& i mean no :D) shops that have a decent selection of cymbals to try. we're stuck with buying from the internet. due to the fact of not being able to try lots of cymbals and pick the best to our ear, we have to listen to samples online. Because paiste is the most consistent manufacturer of cymbals, the samples will be more accurate (hopefully) and the cymbal we pick online, will be hopefully a decent match to what we get home. I'm all for different sounds, but can't afford a trip to london or whatever to a great drum shop to try out cymbals - come on we're talking about 101's for goodness sake :p:D

you have to remember that some of us don't live in the usa on this forum :rolleyes:
Ah yes. I forget that some of you live in third world countries. :D

How can the difference be that much though? I don't understand why it would be that way. Maybe since yall are closer to Switzerland the Paiste's are cheaper. ;)

I think you'll be happier with the B8 hats. Save up and buy em. Even used. They're much more musical than the 101 or PST3. They feel more solid too. They feel like real hi-hats as opposed to two pieces of tin banging together. :o

How can the difference be that much though? I don't understand why it would be that way. Maybe since yall are closer to Switzerland the Paiste's are cheaper. ;)
We're always ripped off in the UK :mad:

I think duty charges, etc, bring up the cost of Paistes for you and Sabians for us. We don't have to pay duty, shipping within the EU, but do to and from the US and Canada. This makes them pretty close for you but a big difference for us. Have you never wondered why you can get a decent bronze set for the same price as a cheapy brass set? :p

Not really. I just buy what I want at the best price i can find. I have no control over price.

greg, you wouldn't happen to have too many 2002's would you? I'd be more than happy to take some of them off you if you don't need them, I'll pay for the shipping, priority international obviously :p;)

Lol. No cymbals for sale here. I have a bunch of B8's too, but they're in the garage. I use them for band practice. I use the 2002's live and for recording.

Back