Open Letter To Mr. Gerst

zbert said:
Personally, I would love to see an autobiography, complete with pictures. That would be fascinating, and I hate reading.

I can't remember where on line I found the story of Harvey and Jimi Hendrix. Great great story if someone can find it and post it. I'll keep looking. And another round of "thanks" to you Harvey!
here it is, and more

(but no pics)

from an unpublished (as far as i know)

tape op interview

by one of our (former) forum members here

http://www.tapeop.com/magazine/bonuspdfs/gerst.pdf

...............................+1.

Although, to be fair, there are a lot of other people here who deserve appreciation for helping folks out here. Some to greater or lesser degrees, for issues technical and otherwise. So, without diminishing Harvey's contributions, I'll add a couple of names here just for posterity.

Thank you:

John Sayers
Timothy Lawler
Rick Fitzpatrick
Philgood
RayC
E_Z Willis
Ghost of FM
Ford Van
Xstatic
XFinsterX
Track Rat
notCardio
TeyshaBlue
MisterQcue
MadAudio
True-Eurt
Choctaw
Incanus
Hixmix
Vspaceboy
espskully
Charva
Bigwillz24
Fairview
Southside Glen
Dragon

All the people I forgot or just failed to include- thank you as well. I appreciate it.

Supercreep said:

Dragon? Who is Dragon? ;)

Wow, I didn't know Harvey was in the proto-Association. I dig their tunes, their harmonies are second only to the Beach Boys. Although I don't know who did that transcription, because everyone knows it's *Windy*.

Man, this interview is great. I just got to the C1000 part :D

The Hendrix story is priceless. This is great stuff :)

I thought about the others, too, but

I figured this was a Harvey appreciation thread, so I skipped it.

Time for another thread.

BTW, some advice to newbie guitarists

notCardio said:
Hey, Roger, check out these cool glasses I just got! :rolleyes:

It's funny, I thought about you last weekend. I was cleaning out my dad's yard barn, and I found the cover to my old Acoustic 6x10 cab. The memories came rushing back. Of course, they left as quickly as they came. :(

You did good work there, sir.

(Well, except for the time the 150 caught on fire.) :D

It may sound really cool when you slam that spring reverb head down for effect, but you might want to exercise some restraint in how hard and how often you do it. :D

I think we should have

a HarveyFest!

Everybody gather at his studio for a weekend. I'm sure he and his son wouldn't mind a couple hundred folks showing up at his place. :eek:

AMEN

That microphone thread was one of the first things I found when I decided to try recording. Harvey, I'll never fully appreciate how much time and money you have saved me.

Thank you very much

Harvey and I decided to go to the bar this one time.

Harvey took me to this vacant lot, and we sat there. Sure enough, within an hour an a half someone constructed a bar around us. He then ordered a shot, drank it, and then burned the place to the ground. Harvey yelled over the roar of the flames, “always leave things the way you found em!”

I'll never forget that afternoon.

I remember one time, Harvey took his family to SeaWorld...They were watching Shamu the whale and Harvey got splashed. So Harvey yells, 'I'm Harvey Gerst and no one gets me wet!' So he climbs into the tank, grabs Shamu and throws the whale into the audience, splashes him and yells, 'Now how do you like it?' And then damn if Harvey didn't step in there and finish the show.

To Harvey Gerst!

Harvey is the man!!

I didn't know anything about Harvey's history when I first found this forum. But I was desperately trying to figure out how to make a decent acoustic guitar recording and I stumbled across some of his advice. I tried Harvey's suggestions and my recordings improved exponentially.

The proof is in the pudding and Harvey is the real deal!

Reggie said:
I remember one time, Harvey took his family to SeaWorld...They were watching Shamu the whale and Harvey got splashed. So Harvey yells, 'I'm Harvey Gerst and no one gets me wet!' So he climbs into the tank, grabs Shamu and throws the whale into the audience, splashes him and yells, 'Now how do you like it?' And then damn if Harvey didn't step in there and finish the show.

To Harvey Gerst!
This is another "Harvey's fat" joke, isn't it?

Not to sidetrack this thread, but somebody just turned me on to this video:

http://www.glumbert.com/media/flash/player.swf?file=cyril&autostart=true&fs=true

You gotta watch the WHOLE thing.

Harvey, you are definitely the best thing to ever happen to this website... a true gentleman and a wealth of knowledge.

Hey guys... I think we should all toss a few $$ into a fund and fly Harvey to JamFest 2007 this year.

Now that would be cool! :)

(....and maybe, if there's a few bucks left over, we can get an Amtrak ticket for Dragon, too!) ;)

I remember my first gunfight. I was new to Texas, and I was lookin' to make a name for myself. When you're askin' for trouble, it isn't long until you get an answer.

To make a long story short, I'd been losin' all night at cards to an old-timer, and while he played a fair hand, I still wasn't gonna take it lyin' down. It was after midnight when I finally blew my last dollar, and I turned over the table and called him a cheat. I figgered he might be slyer than me on account of his years, but I'd be a quicker draw due to the lack of my own.

What a callow youth I was. But I couldn't hold killin' me against him, because as I lay bleedin' to death, he taught me the chords to "Knockin' On Heaven's Door," from the sheet he got from the session with Dylan, and even though I'm dead now, I'm still much obliged.

Yep, it was Harvey :o

Reactions: XLR
Back