Olympics Thread

Nobody plays basketball.

We play basketball and were doing pretty damn well until we forgot how against Serbia after beating them in the pool game, and then felt so sorry for ourselves we let Spain beat us for the bronze. Plus we gave the Yanks a run for 3 quarters when we played them.

Another fourth. *sigh*

We play basketball and were doing pretty damn well until we forgot how against Serbia after beating them in the pool game, and then felt so sorry for ourselves we let Spain beat us for the bronze. Plus we gave the Yanks a run for 3 quarters when we played them.

Another fourth. *sigh*

I was hoping it would be an Aussie-USA gold medal showdown so I could talk smack. Y'all had a good team, and they're all pretty young so they should mostly be back next time.

I was hoping it would be an Aussie-USA gold medal showdown so I could talk smack. Y'all had a good team, and they're all pretty young so they should mostly be back next time.

Our all-pro olympic basketball team won big pretty much all the time, but it never looked like a basketball team to me. It looked more like an all-star game. Not because it was all all-stars, but because they played exhibition style basketball. They didn't play stellar defense and there was a lot of making sure that each guy got his touches. So what that they won the gold medal. They fucking better have. To me this is like, woopdy doo, you did your job. It would be a lot more exciting if they were actually amateurs winning gold instead of billionaire elite professional NBA superstars. It's a good thing american football is not an olympic sport. That would be an absolute massacre.

Our all-pro olympic basketball team won big pretty much all the time, but it never looked like a basketball team to me. It looked more like an all-star game. Not because it was all all-stars, but because they played exhibition style basketball. They didn't play stellar defense and there was a lot of making sure that each guy got his touches. So what that they won the gold medal. They fucking better have. To me this is like, woopdy doo, you did your job. It would be a lot more exciting if they were actually amateurs winning gold instead of billionaire elite professional NBA superstars. It's a good thing american football is not an olympic sport. That would be an absolute massacre.
It would be at first... until the world's best Rugby nations learn the rules and wipe the fucking floor with you!

It would be at first... until the world's best Rugby nations learn the rules and wipe the fucking floor with you!

Or it could go the other way. Our best football players could learn rugby and leave the rest of the world in the hospital.

Now that would be good. The USA should get better at Rugby.

I agree. Rugby is cool. But we just don't care about it. We barely care about soccer which is the most popular sport in the world. I don't think rugby will ever get any traction.

Yeah, our team this year wasn't even that good. Overall I'd give them like a B-. I was sad that the man child Lebron James decided not to play....he always kills it in the Olympics.

Yeah, our team this year wasn't even that good. Overall I'd give them like a B-. I was sad that the man child Lebron James decided not to play....he always kills it in the Olympics.

That first "dream team" was the shit. I remember it well. I mean, damn, they demolished the other teams. Absolute basketball destruction. Opposing players were asking for autographs during the games. I remember Charles Barkley elbowed some guy in the face under the basket, and it was the best day of that guy's life. Lol. He didn't flop, he didn't get mad, he just froze and was like "Oh my God I just got my mug smashed by Charles Barkley!"

Here's an article about how Team GB basically won the Olympic games when you take into account the shear number of competitors the US throws at it:
Rio 2016 Olympics: Just how Great were Britain? - BBC Sport

Yeahhhh that argument never really does anything for me. We aren't "throwing athletes" at stuff lol, we just have a lot of great athletes. For pretty much all Olympic sports you have to be in the top 30-50% in competitions to even be eligible for the Olympics.

That first "dream team" was the shit. I remember it well. I mean, damn, they demolished the other teams. Absolute basketball destruction. Opposing players were asking for autographs during the games. I remember Charles Barkley elbowed some guy in the face under the basket, and it was the best day of that guy's life. Lol. He didn't flop, he didn't get mad, he just froze and was like "Oh my God I just got my mug smashed by Charles Barkley!"

Yeah I had the most basic 90s-esque Dream Team poster on the wall in my room growing up. Crazy how all those dudes are pretty much going to be NBa HoF. Except Laettner lol screw him. It shoulda been Shaq!

Back