New Samplitude SE. . .Wow! only $49!

lexridge

Hi all,
I just purchased the downloadable version of the new Samplitude SE, which is a limited version of the full Samplitude Professional. It is really sweet man! Nothing can really touch it in the price range either ($49)!

Features:
- The complete software packet, from composing with MIDI and VSTi to the final stereo mix.
- 24-bit/96 kHz audio quality, with consistent 32-bit floating-point technology.
- Object-oriented editing functions and virtual, non-destructive editing.
- High-quality effects set (phase-stable effects for mixing and mastering)
- Fully upgradeable to Samplitude classic/professional
- 48 tracks, 2 submix buses, 4 aux buses
- Consistent use of 32-bit floating point processing
- ASIO, MME, and WDM support
- Comprehensive realtime audio editor functions
- Unique object-oriented editing options
- Batch processing, flexible mixer with variable signal flow
- ReWire, DirectX and VST plugin support
- Automatic latency compensation for Samplitude effects
- VSTi support incl. 8 separate outputs
- MIDI recording & editing
- Supports up to 8 I/Os (24-bit/96 kHz)
- Mixer automation (HUI, Mackie Control, Custom Control)
- High-quality effects: Normalize, 4-band parametric EQ, Stereo Enhancer, Amp Simulation, Vocoder, Dehisser, Timestretching/Pitchshifting, Panorama, Dynamics (Compressor, Expander, Noise Gate, Limiter), Reverb, Delay, Resampling, Declipping, Distortion, Noise Reduction, Phase Invert.

Not a bad deal. I also read that it will offered for free in some German audio magazine.

See: http://www.samplitude.com/de/sam.htm

Downloadables are cheaper because it saves the company on pressing, printing and packaging. I've bought software from Sony that way.

Be sure to make a backup copy of the download in case you ever need to reinstall the program. It may you some time.

Something I failed to mention is this would be a really cheap way for an owner of Samplitude Pro to get a copy on his/her laptop. It would be perfect for live recording, then take it to your studio for mixdown with the full SamPro version.

As a longtime user of Samplitude Professional, let me tell you...... that is one sweet deal. There was a bit of an uproar in the Samplitude user community at the news that they were planning on practically giving away software that we all paid in excess of a grand for. There are several things they held back in the E version, but the E-version is still a killer app, and a great way for folks to find out what Samplitude is all about. The marketing think is that once you try it, you'll want the whole enchilada. Really, once you try Samp's object oriented editing approach, it's hard not to get hooked. Here's what you get and what you don't get with Samp SE .........

The features in detail:
- 48 tracks, 2 submix buses, 4 aux buses
- Consistent use of 32-bit floating point processing
- ASIO, MME, and WDM support
- Comprehensive realtime audio editor functions
- Unique object-oriented editing options
- Batch processing, flexible mixer with variable
signal flow
- ReWire, DirectX and VST plugin support
- Automatic latency compensation for Samplitude
effects
- VSTi support incl. 8 separate outputs
- MIDI recording & editing
- Supports up to 8 I/Os (24-bit/96 kHz)
- Mixer automation (vol. pan), 5x undo/redo
- High-quality effects: Normalize, 4-band parametric
EQ, Stereo Enhancer, Amp Simulation, Vocoder,
Dehisser, Timestretching/Pitchshifting, Panorama,
Dynamics (Compressor, Expander, Noise Gate,
Limiter), Reverb, Delay, Resampling, Declipping,
Distortion, Noise Reduction, Phase Invert

By upgrading to Samplitude classic (€299) you also get:
- Unlimited physical inputs/outputs
- 64 audio tracks
- Latency compensation for external effects as well
- Freely configurable mixer view
- Up to 8 internal VST/DirectX effects
- Up to 8 effect sends/64 effect returns
- Up to 8 submix buses
- Folder tracks
- Track & object freeze
- FFT, multi-band stereo Enhancer, real-time
normalization, multi-band dynamics
- Vintage Effects Suite Pro
- Convolution reverb as offline effect/stereo
incl. 200 MB impulse responses
- Sound Cloner
- Asymmetrical crossfades
- Advanced timestretching /pitchshifting modes
- Track speed
- Max. 32-bit/384 kHz audio resolution
- POW-r dithering
- Unlimited analysis tools
- Drum Editor for MIDI Editing
- Synchronization: MIDI clock, MTC, SMPTE,
Chase Lock
- Shortcut Editor
- Practical and unlimited undo/redo incl. undo history
- Project Browser
- Take Manager
- Take Composer
- DAT marker support
- Marker Manager
- Root Projects
- Strip Silence
- Unlimited Hardware Controller Support
- Red Book CD Authoring
- DVD-Audio Authoring
- Burn projects and backups onto CD/DVD
- Export broadcast wave (incl. BWF Timestamp),
MPEG 1 Audio Layer II, MP3

By upgrading to Samplitude professional (€599) you get, in addition to the functions mentioned above:
- 999 audio tracks
- Unlimited VSTi single outputs
- Up to 64 internal VST/DirectX effects
- Up to 64 effect sends/64 effect returns
- Up to 64 submix buses
- MAGIX Analog Modelling Suite
- Realtime convolution reverb
- 5.1 Surround
- Object-based surround panning
- MAGIX Elastic Audio
- MAGIX Robota Pro

Operating systems running with Samplitude V8:
- Microsoft Windows XP (recommended)
- Microsoft Windows 98
- Microsoft Windows 2000

Thanks for the full comparison Robert D.

My intentions are to upgrade (when I can afford too) to either SamClassic or SamPro. Being simply a hobbiest, a full version of Sam is quite a dollar hit, but with the upgrade path, it's not nearly as bad. Lots of thanks to Magix for offering this sweet (suite) deal.

After having used the object based editing, you are correct, I don't think I could go back to the old way. The power in it is unsurrpassable. The only complaint I have: I've not yet found no way to merge objects without a track bounce. I look forward to the freeze track function of the more expensive version.

I think Samplitude is about to really go mainstream because of this E-version. I'm just waiting for Magix to form a partnership with a hardware company or buy to bundle the SE version of samplitude.

So as a user of both Vegas and Acid, would this be a program worth checking out? I can certainly spare $49. Mind you I'm not really doing much with MIDI right now.

Well in that case I wouldn't try unless you're prepared to abandon Vegas (well unless you do video).
I tried acid and vegas, then I decided nope.
I tried cool edit, then I decided nope.
I tried pro tools le, then I decide nope (well I still use it on my apple).
I tried cubase sx, then I decide nope.
I tried Samplitude, then I said finally someone gets it.
Dont' try Samplitude unless you want a DAW that is simple, has great effects and dynamics for mixing and mastering, and an interface that places everything in a place that makes some sense. Well IMHO.

MadAudio said:
So as a user of both Vegas and Acid, would this be a program worth checking out? I can certainly spare $49. Mind you I'm not really doing much with MIDI right now.

Actually, you can download the samplitude pro v8.11 demo from http://www.samplitude.com . It's very similiar to SE and you would definetly know whether you like it not.

Also, there is a great Samplitude newsgroup at news.nv.net.

I don't suppose any of you Samplitude users run a UAD-1 card with it?

Reason I ask is the Cakewalk vst wrapper has issues with the UAD VST plugs.

Anyone know how well Samplitude & UAD hang together?

Bulls Hit said:

I don't have personal experience with a UAD, but there are guys on the Samp newsgroup that are using them. Link posted above.

OK I dl'd the demo.
It will only record 1 track at a time. Presumably this is a restriction of the demo?

Also when I play back the recorded track, it says it can't open the output device Firepod 1/2, and suggests switching back to 16 bit, which playsOK, but I want 24....problem???

is redbook a demo restriction too?Sounds like it may be.

it has a learning curve, but it is WELL worth it. I own Sequoia and Samp ProV8, and man, they do it all, but give me blowjobs.

teddy

BigRay said:
is redbook a demo restriction too?Sounds like it may be.

it has a learning curve, but it is WELL worth it. I own Sequoia and Samp ProV8, and man, they do it all, but give me blowjobs.

teddy

Proof positive that Samplitude doesn't suck. :D

Bulls Hit said:
OK I dl'd the demo.
It will only record 1 track at a time. Presumably this is a restriction of the demo?

Also when I play back the recorded track, it says it can't open the output device Firepod 1/2, and suggests switching back to 16 bit, which playsOK, but I want 24....problem???

Press the Y key, and make sure the ONLY audio devices (PB and Rec) enabled are your Firepod. I have had some issues when using both 16 and 24 bit devices simultaniously.

Samplitude can record multiple channels at the same time. Not sure if you experiencing a demo restriction or a misconfiguration.

lexridge said:
Samplitude can record multiple channels at the same time. Not sure if you experiencing a demo restriction or a misconfiguration.

If you have one track armed with lets say, Delta 1/2 input selected, and then arm a second track that has the same input selected, the first track will un-arm. IOW, it won't let you arm multiple tracks with the same input source selected.
Also, be sure to have "playback while record" enabled in the playback options. This has finally been made the default state in V8.3, but I don't know if it is in SE or the current demo.

Bulls Hit said:

I use Samp and a TC Powercore card, but I know of several pro studios using Samp and UAD-1. Yes, Samp get's along fine with DSP cards running high end VSTs, and excels at having auto latency compensation no matter where you insert or buss the effects. I believe they were the first to offer auto latency comp on aux sends, rather than just inserts.

Does anyone know if Samplitude will ever include (or if 8.3 does) a way to print score music from your midi tracks. I know Magix's software like music maker has this option.

Back