New Members: Introduce Yourself Here!

My name is Brent, i am 31 years old. I was in the Marines for a while. I got out to settle down and raise my family. I got into DJ scene about 12 years ago with a couple friends as a hobby doing house parties and stuff and i haven't stopped since.

Hi, name is John. I'm posting on here first so I don't look rude/presumptuous when I start asking stupid questions. Be gentle with me...

Hello everybody. I'm a newbie to recording but I've been around it for a while and know enough to get in trouble if you know what I mean. Yeah, I'll probably ask a stupid question or two and I'm trying to get into the Recording scene. I consider all advice and grateful to those who take the time to respond!

Hey everyone. My name is KC! I run the band A Lovers Mask. I play drums, guitar, bass, piano, and sing. I'm here to learn how to make better recordings, and how to use my equipment in the most effective way possible.
My studio set-up as of (5-19-14)

Computer = MacBook Pro (2010 model) running Mavericks.
DAW = Logic Pro X
Interface = Tascam US-1800

hello, yup im a newbie...looking for a better option than my zoom h2. I need a simple way to multitrack /overdubbing,simul sync whatever its called. I used to use a teac 2340sx reel to reel, it was easy and great, but thats long gone as is my home audio equip. Im looking to record acoustic guitar and harmonica w vocals and maybe dub in bass and drums. someone suggested a zoom r8, but even that looks too complicate. any advice /help is appreciated.

I may have started a thread prematurely. My apologizes...
Call me Claire
I am a singer/songwriter looking to improve my home recording quality.
I usually record templates for producers to listen to before a session but I have found myself more and more
interested in editing my own projects to save on time/money/etc.
I am here to learn all that I can. I am also a very busy woman so in the event you guys shoot me a msg and I don't reply
I'm working on something somewhere else - but I am sure to find my way back here.
I look forward to making great connections here.

I may have started a thread prematurely. My apologizes...
Call me Claire
I am a singer/songwriter looking to improve my home recording quality.
I usually record templates for producers to listen to before a session but I have found myself more and more
interested in editing my own projects to save on time/money/etc.
I am here to learn all that I can. I am also a very busy woman so in the event you guys shoot me a msg and I don't reply
I'm working on something somewhere else - but I am sure to find my way back here.
I look forward to making great connections here.

Don't worry, be happy!

I'm Atul! I sing in a 4 piece alternative rock band from London called DonkeyBox. I have a lot of live experience but recording has never been my thing. I really am looking forward to learning more about mixing and mastering since I am able to record using a DAW at home but get stuck at the whole ardous mixing stage.

Hi, I'm Billy!

I'm a singer/songwriter/multi-instrumentalist who recently started getting together a recording setup and am looking to make the most of it. Currently using a mac mini with logic x.

Hello Home Recording family, my name is Gugulethu from South Africa. I'ma music producer, dj and remix artist. Looking forward to learn from the forum and help wherever I can.

I'm also interested in networking with people as well. I'm happy to be here :)

Looking for some feedback. Wanna improve my quality and sound. First time blogging!

20140111_161311.jpgHows it going guys. I'm a 17 year old senior thriving to be a Hip-Hop artist that goes by the name of KC Rhymes and I'm looking to make it big in the music career. I represent the southern part of New Hampshire. I have been writing since about the 8th grade and finally started to record just this past year. I would absolutely love some feedback from those who have more experience under there belt and know what they are doing. My current setup is a 2004 Toshiba Satellite laptop hooked up to a Behringer XENYX 302USB mixer board. The mic hooked up to that is called a "professional condenser". I picked it up off amazon for $40. And that sits in a closet that is sound treated on the door and one wall. The other two walls are concrete with styrofoam on one wall. The last wall has an electrical box, Which I feel interferes with the mic a little bit. And finally I use Reaper as my recording program. (I have yet to make my own beats yet) I'm simply looking for some criticism and pointers on how to improve my quality and sound. You can check out my music at these websites, feedback and tips would be amazing.

Thank you for reading through this and checking it out.

Check out the music on soundcloud by searching KC Rhymes (cant post a url without 10 posts)
Also on reverbnation just search KC Rhymes
soundcloud /kcrhymes
reverbnation /kcrhymes

-KC Rhymes
(Kyle Carrier)

View attachment 87304Hows it going guys. I'm a 17 year old senior thriving to be a Hip-Hop artist that goes by the name of KC Rhymes and I'm looking to make it big in the music career. I represent the southern part of New Hampshire. I have been writing since about the 8th grade and finally started to record just this past year. I would absolutely love some feedback from those who have more experience under there belt and know what they are doing. My current setup is a 2004 Toshiba Satellite laptop hooked up to a Behringer XENYX 302USB mixer board. The mic hooked up to that is called a "professional condenser". I picked it up off amazon for $40. And that sits in a closet that is sound treated on the door and one wall. The other two walls are concrete with styrofoam on one wall. The last wall has an electrical box, Which I feel interferes with the mic a little bit. And finally I use Reaper as my recording program. (I have yet to make my own beats yet) I'm simply looking for some criticism and pointers on how to improve my quality and sound. You can check out my music at these websites, feedback and tips would be amazing.

Thank you for reading through this and checking it out.

Check out the music on soundcloud by searching KC Rhymes (cant post a url without 10 posts)
Also on reverbnation just search KC Rhymes
soundcloud /kcrhymes
reverbnation /kcrhymes

-KC Rhymes
(Kyle Carrier)

Well first off man, you should really look into room acoustics and how the issues of your setup shown in pic are going to kill any good perception of a good mix.

Also, the vocal booth thing in a small room like that you show is doing you nothing good. Trust me man. The advice you find on other forums or any internet advice about using small isolation rooms is complete and total bullshit. It should be stricken down and the ones who post ideas like that should be flogged repeatedly. A big room with acoustic treatment is always better than any small space. The only reason you might want an isolation room, is to isolate it from outside noise. The only way to make that work effectively is to have a big room, that is built inside another big room. This is just not feasible in home recording unless you have a buttload of space and a bunch of cash to build it. Better to treat your mixing (control) room and record vocals in it. Recording in a closet will always sound like a vocal recorded in a closet. Get that out of your head completely right now, or waste your time chasing a great vocal track...

Take some time to read the sticky threads here. These are the ones at the top of each forum that are placed there because they contain the most pertinent info.

There is much correct information to be learned here. That is why I joined and volunteered to be a mod here, because of how much this site has taught me how things actually work.

Just to add, I just listened to your tracks. Quite good as far as your words and talent, but the vocal is not where you need it to be.

I work with some hip hop guys in my studio, so this is not just a rock guy trying to feed you his opinion.

PM me and I can send you some samples and give some insight into some things that might help you, other than the things I have already mentioned. :)

Hey guys! I'm Katie Hull and I'm 17 years old. I am primarily a self-taught musician and play a bit of everything (guitar, bass, piano, keyboard, singing, ukulele, drums). I make YouTube videos (Channel: KatieHullMusic), where I post covers and originals. My primary genre would be Singer/Songwriter with an acoustic-pop style. My favorite thing to do is just grab my acoustic guitar and write songs! I joined the forum because I realize that my mixes are fairly weak in my opinion and I wanted to learn how to make them better.

Thank You!

Just to add, I just listened to your tracks. Quite good as far as your words and talent, but the vocal is not where you need it to be.

I work with some hip hop guys in my studio, so this is not just a rock guy trying to feed you his opinion.

PM me and I can send you some samples and give some insight into some things that might help you, other than the things I have already mentioned. :)

Thank you very much for the feedback. Its funny you say get the whole "the smaller the room the better the sound" idea out of my head because that has been my thought since putting this recording project together. Should I simply just move the mic out of the closet and record in my room which is in the basement? (Which you saw in the picture) I really appreciate that you say I have the talent I just need the sound, it means a lot. I am very new to this site so I have not gotten through many threads. Thank you very much for taking the time to check out my post an d give feedback.

Thank you very much for the feedback. Its funny you say get the whole "the smaller the room the better the sound" idea out of my head because that has been my thought since putting this recording project together. Should I simply just move the mic out of the closet and record in my room which is in the basement? (Which you saw in the picture) I really appreciate that you say I have the talent I just need the sound, it means a lot. I am very new to this site so I have not gotten through many threads. Thank you very much for taking the time to check out my post an d give feedback.

I am only giving my honest opinion via my personal experience through what I have learned over the years. Yes, record your vocals in the biggest room you have. Treating the room is the next step. Practice in learning why you need to do such a thing is what you will learn for yourself. I realize it is hard to take one doods advice on a forum over another, but I am not just some dood. Well, actually I am, but I am not a dumb one and I surely would never give advice about something I have not proven to be good in practice.

:)

Back