New Members: Introduce Yourself Here!

I should have posted here first, but I'm Drew. I went to film school in San Francisco, now I live in Seattle, and recently as a hobby I started writing rhymes and making beats here and there with my cousins. It's still just for fun, but I'm starting to produce stuff a bit faster. Going to have an album to put out pretty soon, but I'm sure you'll here a lot more from me before that happens...

Also a newbie just joining. Looking to record guitars/vocals/synth to make mind blowingly awesome music that probably no one will hear...just for fun

Also a newbie just joining. Looking to record guitars/vocals/synth to make mind blowingly awesome music that probably no one will hear...just for fun

You have the right attitude, just be prepared to spend a bit to reach 'mind blowingly awesome music'. :)

The shit in = shit out theory is quite true.

Welcome to the forum new guy on a boat on the ocean that is open. :D

Yo, joined today hoping to find analogue (tape)to digital (download to computer) recording people !
Analogue to computer users .
Any advice on how to get rid of a high pitch whizzing noise ?
I figure there is,nt a way, but i,d be fascinated to hear what any of you have encountered.
Machines. Tascam 442 to Audacity.
later.

Hi I am new to the recording quest. I have been playing guitar for over 30 years, have been playing with my Church in the worship band and am really enjoying the times we spend together. Our worship leader is a seasoned professional musician who is sucha kind and helpful guy. He started the recording itch in me when he brought over his Audio Interface and DAW and recorded the group and seepnt some time with me just doing overdubs and messing around. WOW what a huge step forward in technology. Back in the day I was amazed when using a 4 track reel to reel for recoding during my garage band days.

Anyway I started building equipment and now have the basics to start some home recording. Still trying to decide on what DAW I like best. I have Ableton Live 9 LE which came with my M-Audio Interface, Sonar LE which came with my Roland A500-Pro Keyboard / Controller, and downloaded a trial version of Mixcraft 6.

So far I have spent most of my time with Ableton and it seems like a great package to use not only for recording but can be used to support the worship team in live performances.

Looking forward to learning a lot more about this new adventure.

Hello everyone. I've been reading, not posting, this forum for over a year now and have finally enough insight to not be totally useless. I have been recording on an off again for around 30 years and just 4 years ago finally built a home studio. Nothing fancy just effective.

Hi all. I joined here about two years ago. But I have not posted anything till today. So I'm newbie.
I've been recording my original music since middle 80's. And I also make and play my handmade
electric instruments. I introduce them on my web site. Thank you.

Hello I am new to the group and a newbie. I have been learning about recording over the last few weeks. I am desperately looking for some information about recording a Skype phone call in Adobe Audition. I have searched through the lynda tutorials, youtube videos, general google search and I've asked some podcast experts. I searched through Adobe and it is a circular run around. I've found no answers to this problem. I've seen John Dumas record a Skype call in A Audition using two separate tracks, but he is not technical and has a Mac. He says he doesn't know how to set it up for a PC.

Here is my question. I would like to record a Skype interview on Adobe A. I have a PC, a Behringer ErurorackUB1204Pro mixer, a XLR mic. I checked my set up with my local audio shop and they said the hardware connections were good.

Here is the problem. I would like to record on separate tracks so I can edit the Skype interview. I set up the multitrack and armed both tracks to record. When I return to the workspace window in AA the the tracks are unarmed and I cannot record in separate tracks. When I play with the settings the settings I record on two tracks but both voices are recorded on the two tracks. How can I record my voice own one track and the Skype voice on the other? Any information will be gratefully accepted.

Hello, I am a newbie to recording. I've searched the internet, lynda.com tutorials, expert podcasters, and I cannot find an answer to my recording problem.

Here is my question. I would like to record a Skype interview on Adobe A. I have a PC, a Behringer ErurorackUB1204Pro mixer, a XLR mic. I checked my set up with my local audio shop and they said the hardware connections were good.

Here is the problem. I would like to record on separate tracks so I can edit the Skype interview. I set up the multitrack and armed both tracks to record. When I return to the work space window in A Audition the the tracks are unarmed and I cannot record in separate tracks. When I change the settings I can record, but both voices are recorded on the two tracks. Identical. How can I record my voice on one track and the Skype on the other? Any assistance or information will be gratefully accepted.

Hello. I came here about six weeks ago and left very intimidated. I am not very musically inclined, not technically. I'm impressed by what I've read here and am very envious. We choose our paths, have regrets, and sometimes redirect. I really have no business being here, but this seems to be the best place to ask my stupid questions, as long as I can find someone who can be patient with me.

I don't have the gift of music, but I do like to sing. The last time I sang for someone I was laughed at, and that was 14 years ago. Nowadays I sing to my hearts content in my car while driving around backroads at night. I've had this idea for years, but searching on the internet has been fruitless because I don't even know the right words to search with. I'm sure my idea is nothing new, and I'm hoping that maybe there's something I can purchase, or just be told its a stupid idea so I can move on to some other crazy idea.

When I sing along to songs, I attempt to follow along with the singer perfectly, at least in my ear. I grow in confidence as I use the singer as a "guide", and I sound okay in my ear. When I have tried to sing along with an instrumental version of a song, I lose confidence quickly and get off key badly, and I don't sound okay in my ear.

This is what I am wondering and have searched the internet far and wide and come up empty so far: Is there such a device that allows for two tracks, one version with the words sung and one version without the vocals, to be sync'd, with the first version being played through headphones, and the non-vocal version being played through speakers, or recorded with only my voice? Gosh I can't even express my thoughts!
I've fantasized for years about having a business where a person could walk into a sound booth, select their favorite song, see the lyrics on a screen, hear the normal version through headphones, but have the ability to record the instrumental with their voice, and when they create a version that they like, burn a CD.

I can imagine that this sounds really stupid, but it is important enough to me to look stupid to try to find an answer. Thank you for letting me share my thoughts and request for guidance.

My name is Kahler (yes, after the floating trem!) and I'm not so much a newbie as I am a "learned my own way" through the years of home studio recording!

Hi, Tom in Ireland... Just trying to find a way to record some of my own tunes.. bit of caveman with I.T. though did teach it decades ago!!! bought the alessis multi track firewire some years ago though didn't have much success.... how has home recording moved on since? and what would y'all recommend for me with acoustic maybe drum machine, vocals and a few overdubs - just basic recording with room to progress and manoeuvre (think I spelled that right)...budget about €5/€600...

.Thanks... go raibh mhait agat

Hello Everyone..
My name is Shounak and I am a complete beginner in home recording, or rather any recording as the matter of fact... I have been playing around with a friend's iPad recently and now am trying to make a demo of a song in Garageband. However i fing that there are some serious limitations in Garageband...like the availability of just 8 tracks, not able to export MIDI etc. etc.
My main question is, is it a wise decision to make an iPad ones primary recording device and whether the DAW apps made for iPad, like Cubasis and Auria as good as the desktop versions...does these apps support automation and is it possible to make a semi pro recording using these??

Please help me with any kind of information regarding this.

Hi All,

My name is Daniel.

I'm heavily interested in building the overall quality of my work and will be using the forums heavily. I only just discovered this site today so I'm pretty excited to have joined up.

Here's a bit about me,

I'm new to music production. Music is something that I was raised with and have always had a passion for. I can honestly say it's one of the things in life that brings me genuine happiness. My musical tastes would heavily be in R&B, Reggae, Ska, Soul, Hip-Hop, a little pop every now and then and some indie.

I decided last year that I was going to get myself some equipment and start teaching myself at home. I got familiar with FL Studio and got a Midi Controller with some drum pads. Right now, I believe I'm at a point where I understand layouts and what a song needs to sound great but I tend to become stuck when I'm trying to build well progressed melodies.

I'm really interested in networking and collaborating along the way as well as receiving feedback and constructive criticism from other talented producers with the same passion.

I'm a total novice at this point and I'm fully aware that I have a long way to go yet but hopefully with making some friends along the way I'll get to where I need to be. Looking forward to getting to know

Hi, Tom in Ireland... Just trying to find a way to record some of my own tunes.. bit of caveman with I.T. though did teach it decades ago!!! bought the alessis multi track firewire some years ago though didn't have much success.... how has home recording moved on since? and what would y'all recommend for me with acoustic maybe drum machine, vocals and a few overdubs - just basic recording with room to progress and manoeuvre (think I spelled that right)...budget about €5/€600...

.Thanks... go raibh mhait agat

Welcome,

Looks like your interface is still good to go as long as you have a computer with Firewire. Have you hooked it up lately? I couldn't tell how many Firewire outputs your interface has, but we can assume at least two. I don't think much as changed in the last couple of years for the most part. Get yourself hooked up, settle on a DAW, read the manuals and get your basics down (mainly recording and tracking). If you can track well, the other parts kind of fall into place.

Start there and once you are recording and getting your levels right (don't worry about the loudness for now, just a good clean, non clipping signal). Then do some research on the next steps and come back and ask questions. It is a journey. Save your 600 probably for mics, monitors and room treatment.

Hello Everyone..
My name is Shounak and I am a complete beginner in home recording, or rather any recording as the matter of fact... I have been playing around with a friend's iPad recently and now am trying to make a demo of a song in Garageband. However i fing that there are some serious limitations in Garageband...like the availability of just 8 tracks, not able to export MIDI etc. etc.
My main question is, is it a wise decision to make an iPad ones primary recording device and whether the DAW apps made for iPad, like Cubasis and Auria as good as the desktop versions...does these apps support automation and is it possible to make a semi pro recording using these??

Please help me with any kind of information regarding this.

Others may have a different opinion, forget the iPad for recording. Spend some decent money on a computer (or go get a used one that is a couple of years old). The money you have in your iPad would have gotten you a nice Desk Top. Start researching interfaces, determine what mics you want to use for vocals, instruments etc. Lots of good DAWs out there, so just do a little poking around and determine what gives you the best set up for your needs.

Welcome to the board.

Hello. I came here about six weeks ago and left very intimidated. I am not very musically inclined, not technically. I'm impressed by what I've read here and am very envious. We choose our paths, have regrets, and sometimes redirect. I really have no business being here, but this seems to be the best place to ask my stupid questions, as long as I can find someone who can be patient with me.

I don't have the gift of music, but I do like to sing. The last time I sang for someone I was laughed at, and that was 14 years ago. Nowadays I sing to my hearts content in my car while driving around backroads at night. I've had this idea for years, but searching on the internet has been fruitless because I don't even know the right words to search with. I'm sure my idea is nothing new, and I'm hoping that maybe there's something I can purchase, or just be told its a stupid idea so I can move on to some other crazy idea.

When I sing along to songs, I attempt to follow along with the singer perfectly, at least in my ear. I grow in confidence as I use the singer as a "guide", and I sound okay in my ear. When I have tried to sing along with an instrumental version of a song, I lose confidence quickly and get off key badly, and I don't sound okay in my ear.

This is what I am wondering and have searched the internet far and wide and come up empty so far: Is there such a device that allows for two tracks, one version with the words sung and one version without the vocals, to be sync'd, with the first version being played through headphones, and the non-vocal version being played through speakers, or recorded with only my voice? Gosh I can't even express my thoughts!
I've fantasized for years about having a business where a person could walk into a sound booth, select their favorite song, see the lyrics on a screen, hear the normal version through headphones, but have the ability to record the instrumental with their voice, and when they create a version that they like, burn a CD.

I can imagine that this sounds really stupid, but it is important enough to me to look stupid to try to find an answer. Thank you for letting me share my thoughts and request for guidance.

Really what you are talking about is singing to Karaoke type tracks and recording them. You can do that. Just get the tracks that have been recorded without vocals, record on another your vocals. You can have the lyrics printed out, on a tablet, you can figure that part out.

Listen to your voice and determine where you need to make corrections. If find you really can't sing and your heart is just set on it, you may want to try Autotune. That will get you pretty close. I can't really sing, but I still won't use it. I just try to get better and do a lot of takes until I am close enough. But maybe you're not that patient.

Hope this helps.

Back