New Members: Introduce Yourself Here!

Hello all am trying to get back into Reel to Reel music! Bought a Akai 250D that has yet to be delivered! In hopes that it will work fine. I have ordered a few tapes to begin with. All second hand. Does anybody know of a site where you can buy new reel to reel tapes 7" size or new music reel tapes?

CFJESSE, you can buy direct from ATR Magnetics. The other tape manufacturer is RTM (Recording The Masters). You can by either brand from places like Vintage King if you are in the US. Typical 7" reels will run somewhere around $40/reel.

You'll need to determine which grade of tape you need. I would be cautious when buying old stock tape (new or used). Many old tapes have severe issues with binder degradation causing an issue called Sticky Shed.

How are you planning to use your tape deck? The Akai doesn't do multitracking from what I see.

If you need any documentation (service manual, etc) it can be found at HiFi Engine. The site is a veritable gold mine of audio gear info.

Last edited:
Hi all,
I own several Yamaha MT120 4-Tracks, a Yamaha MT4X and a Yamaha MT8X 8-Track. I could swear I have a Tascam at my parents house too. Lol

But, I'm in desperate need of help fixing them. I'm trying to digitize all my old recordings from over the years; my demos, live shows and rehearsals from my various bands between 1989-2018. And I want to keep using them as I love the sound.

Anyway, I mainly just wanted to say hello and introduce myself. I was very happy to find this site as it seems chock-full of answers that I'm looking for.

See you around!

Thanks!
Oran, but you can call me Rick 😋

Hi everyone. My name’s Shaun. I’ve recently bought a Boss BR-900CD Digital Recording Studio on eBay. This will be arriving any day now. Aiming to record an album of my songs with 3 of my mates. Just thought I’d introduce myself now cos I’m gonna have a ton of questions as I get into the weeds of trying to record properly. Look forward to picking everyone’s brains and chatting with you all. Have a great day everybody

Thank you Raymond. Yeah I’m looking forward to it. Are you currently working on anything?
I am currently checking out my 2 new keyboards, the Sledge 2, and the Prophet Rev2. Looking at what voices in one contrast with voices in the other.
Wish I had enough space to have all my gear set up, ready to play.

Hello all! I go by my gamer name of Gtakilla1. I have a stupid question. What CD cleaner can I use for my AW16G? Other cleaners I’ve bought , my machine doesn’t recognize. I seem to be losing data from my older recordings lately also. All kept protected from EVERYTHING! It makes me sound like I know what I’m doing. Hello all! I go by my gamer name of Gtakilla1. I have a stupid question. What CD cleaner can I use for my AW16G? Other cleaners I’ve bought , my machine doesn’t recognize. I seem to be losing data from my older recordings also. Any help would be appreciated. This is an Amazing machine!!!

Frustrated amateur here looking for help with a new project. Made a record last year produced by Lloyd Maines in Austin and I’d like to do another w/o all the bells & whistles (and $) Have a MOTU 8 channel preamp into a Mac but just bought a Warm WA2MPX 2-ch Tube Mic Preamp to record some live solo stuff. Have Logic but prefer garage band. You can find my first album here:

We’re calling it Texarado Music…

Thx for letting me in…

RC

Hello all! I go by my gamer name of Gtakilla1. I have a stupid question. What CD cleaner can I use for my AW16G? Other cleaners I’ve bought , my machine doesn’t recognize. I seem to be losing data from my older recordings lately also. All kept protected from EVERYTHING! It makes me sound like I know what I’m doing. Hello all! I go by my gamer name of Gtakilla1. I have a stupid question. What CD cleaner can I use for my AW16G? Other cleaners I’ve bought , my machine doesn’t recognize. I seem to be losing data from my older recordings also. Any help would be appreciated. This is an Amazing machine!!!
I don't really know of any "good" CD cleaners. There are really only two aspects of the CD that might get gunked up, the laser lens and the slide that the laser moves on. Having those go bad is pretty rare. I have had CD burners go bad (just took two out of an old computer someone gave me last month). No cleaning of either the lens or slide would get them working, so my deduction was that either the laser had died, or there was an electronic failure.

I had to replace my CDRW drive many years ago. The drive is a Panasonic UJDA360 CDRW. They were used in a lot of old Dell laptops. It may be difficult to find one now. There are compatible ones, like Panasonic UJDA740 UJDA750 UJDA760 UJDA770. It needs to have the proper connector, like this one:

1696279233906.jpeg

They were also used on Roland VS2480 recorders. You can search on either Ebay or NewEgg for replacements. You don't need the front cover.

It is possible that your CDRWs are degrading. I have had some that went bad. They are basically a dye on plastic, so if the dye wasn't stable, it could lead to lost data.

There is a program that was made available years ago called AWEXTRACT. You might see if you can use that to extract the audio file data from your backups.

Last edited:
New to the forum? Say hello, tell us a little about your self. Meet the gang :p

Welcome to HomeRecording Forum! :guitar:
I am sure to be the oldest member at 96/ I ma Ted Vanya, live in Canada and Mexico, formerly in research mgr for a large paper manufacturing company, spent through several trips as a volunteer to China, altogether 2 years. I am composing for 25 years, mostly in classical style orchestral work. Some of my work was reproduced by smal orchestras and choirs, I was a church organist, had 3 choirs and I was a sailor from 6 to 79 years old. Now I spend my winters in Mexico.

Hi Ted! I reckon a few of us will be miffed that we're no longer the oldest of the old. Welcome to the forum - we're a decent bunch I think - and our music seems to cover every area you can imagine!

Hello everyone! Paul here...48 yo newbie. I played around with a 4 track recorder back when I started college as an Audio Engineering major in 1993...but plans changed. I've been an Electrical Engineer now for 3 decades. Always played my drums and recently started working at getting some sounds recorded. Still need some equipment but I'll get there. Looking forward to the new hobby (addition) and any suggestions, support, and possible collaboration. Thanks!!

Hi: I am a 77-yrear old newbie to recording. I just love Reaper. Using the Youtube videos etc. I have put together a very comprehensive 14-page summary of just about all the Reaper instructions needed (by me) to record including Folders, MIDI, drums, side-chaining, Mixer control panel, screen layouts, Punch in, FX, Buss, Regions, Markers, Automation, Rendering and Mastering etc. I am willing to share this if anyone is interested. The Reaper manual is really good. However, it is very looong. I mastered the "art" of note-taking in my student days 100 years ago! Brian
I was just looking into getting Reaper...would love to take a peak at those notes! 🤘

Greetings from Tennessee.

Because we live in a first-name world (every document and form we complete requires our first name), the document world knows me as "Gordon", but I actually go by my middle name: "Patrick". My grandkids call me "Patch". You can call me anything but late for supper.

I started playing the piano at about five and the guitar at 11. I joined the Navy in 1975, auditioned for the Navy's music program, was accepted as a guitarist, and went through the Navy School of Music during the summer of 1976. I graduated at the top of my class and was assigned to the lead guitar slot with the CINCLANTFLT (Commander-in-Chief, Atlantic Fleet, now FLEET FORCES) rock band. We toured the eastern USA, north Atlantic, Caribbean and Europe relentlessly. I had the best job the U.S. military has to offer.

Post-Navy I attended night school to learn how to write computer programs. I subsequently enjoyed a long career as an I.T. nerd specializing in the Electronic Data Interchange (EDI) niche.

Now retired, I've turned my attention back to gigging (which I understand extremely well), teaching guitar and piano (which I've been doing for more than 50 years), and am exploring home recording, which I understand barely, if at all. I currently have a Rickenbacker 4001 stereo bass, two Les Pauls, a Casio PX-5S, a Korg Kronos X, and an old acoustic guitar suitable mainly for singing around a campfire. I'm "running" (if you can call pulling up the DAW and looking at the display "running") Ableton Live.

I very much look forward to absorbing the atmosphere, knowledge and wisdom this forum doubtless dispenses.

This is far more information than anyone requested. Thank you for reading, and all the best!
GPB

Back