New Members: Introduce Yourself Here!

Hey peeps. I was into making rap music and mixing in the late 90s to early 00s. But the technology I had back then was ancient even for back then. I was even using a PS1 and music 2000 with the mic addon at one point. But I met a girl and got married and just stopped doing it.

Fast forward to now and we are divorced and I have loads of free time (and soul crushing heartbreak🤣) so I'm getting back into it.

I had a decent gaming PC anyway but picked up a mic, midi keyboard and USB interface, cakewalk and a few cheap/free plugins (along with countless hours of YouTube tutorials lol)
And away we go.

Im amazed at what you can create at home nowadays 😲. My skills are improving weekly and with digital platforms and distribution plus forums like this and YouTube you really feel that you can get something out there. Wether anyone will listen or care is the hard part🤣

The PS1 should have a decent antique value now.
There's never been a better time to get into music production.
Welcome!
Lol true. I really wish I had kept my memory cards from back then, or at least a copy of them. Would be good for a laugh.

The PS1 dsp and sound capabilities were actually pretty descent for 1995. Music 2000 was pretty good too for what it was. If I remember it had over 400 instruments and loads of tools to edit them including basic synth, timestreching and sinewave stuff.

Plus with the added mic and 3.5mm jack addon you could do vocals and sample anything you could get that 3.5mm jack Into. I remember making D&B sampling pulp fiction and old kung foo movies from my VHS player🤣. You gotta do what you gotta do right😅

Post #2. Thought I should introduce myself.

High folks.
I've been playing guitar and other instruments for 20 years now. I started "writing" and "recording" at around the same time.

I married a little over a year ago and live in the mountains with my wife. Life rocks!

I play in a band semi regularly and have been doing acoustic solo gigs for quite some time. I have no complete recordings that I am particularly proud of and I am currently in the process of trying to change that. I get a lot of requests for CD's so I better get crackin', right?

I have seen a lot of great info on this site. Some I have printed out and keep in a "Studio Guide" binder.

Anyway, I'll be here anyoing you with silly questions and sub par MP3s for quite some time so thanks in advance for your patience!
Hi: I am a 77-yrear old newbie to recording. I just love Reaper. Using the Youtube videos etc. I have put together a very comprehensive 14-page summary of just about all the Reaper instructions needed (by me) to record including Folders, MIDI, drums, side-chaining, Mixer control panel, screen layouts, Punch in, FX, Buss, Regions, Markers, Automation, Rendering and Mastering etc. I am willing to share this if anyone is interested. The Reaper manual is really good. However, it is very looong. I mastered the "art" of note-taking in my student days 100 years ago! Brian

Hi….. Fritz here. Ill tell how old I am…. My favorite piece to record on was a Tascam Porta One back in the late 80’s/ early 90’s and I haven't recorded since. Digital has always been rough for me. But im willing to try one more time because i have lost so many songs. Thinking about a Zoom R20 because it reminds me of the Tascam but not sure yet. Thanks for letting join and hopefully i stop being braindead when i comes to recording…lol

Hi Fritz. So you're one of the youngsters who started out with those newfangled cassette thingies, eh? 😁 They were so much easier to handle than those reels of tape!

I have looked at the R20, but I'm not completely sold on it yet. I've got an R24 and it's been solid for 10 years and it's a great portable system. However, for recording at home, most of the time, I go straight into Reaper from my Tascam 16x08 interface. In any case, don't be afraid of the technology. Just spend some time doing and learning on whatever system you settle on and have fun.

Hello! I'm Robert retired and living in a quiet hinterland cottage. Now have a Zoom R8 and am hoping to get into the habit of recording - instead of just randomly picking up an instrument and playing :-).

Last edited:
Welcome Robert (samsare)!
You can only get drawn further in.
I still just pick up instruments, and play, much of the time.
I find it helps to have a goal and a time-limit to record a project. It is always a compromise.
Better to compromise and get a recording than to stall for perfection.

Thanks SR 🙏

Hopefully it's just decades of routine that needs tweaking to include recording. The simplicity and portability of the low tech mighty plug pro + R8 should do the trick.

Hi: I am a 77-yrear old newbie to recording. I just love Reaper. Using the Youtube videos etc. I have put together a very comprehensive 14-page summary of just about all the Reaper instructions needed (by me) to record including Folders, MIDI, drums, side-chaining, Mixer control panel, screen layouts, Punch in, FX, Buss, Regions, Markers, Automation, Rendering and Mastering etc. I am willing to share this if anyone is interested. The Reaper manual is really good. However, it is very looong. I mastered the "art" of note-taking in my student days 100 years ago! Brian
Hi Brian 👋

I'd be happy to read your notes. I also have Reaper plus a printed copy of the looong manual. Up to now I've used it so infrequently that it takes a while to get reacquainted 🔍.

Samsare, I would highly recommend you check out Kenny Gioia's Youtube tutorials on Reaper. They are excellent and cover everything from the most basic setup to high level processes.
Kenny is great!

In my case it's probably more a matter of infrequent use which slows me down 🐢.

Have been thinking about putting together a handy cheat-sheet to make the process a little easier - which is why I'm curious to see Brian's notes/approach.

I suspect after all these years of mainly playing acoustic guitar on the sofa ... I may not be an "on the grid" or sitting in front of the computer player. So maybe the R8 will be my path to recording & Reaper for editing?? :unsure:

Underneath the previous post should be a blank slate so to speak.

Just start typing and then hit “post reply”

(Little black box on the bottom right sided the screen with the little arrow.

Ok, start typing. :-)

Hello Everyone,

Behind the SINE Podcast

My name is Juan DeJesus and I am a recent graduate from Full Sail University for a bachelor's in Audio Production. I have a couple years experience in music production, however I still believe I have a looooong way to go. My end goal is to build a brand for a production company that I am working on building from scratch. The brand name is Behind the SINE. At the moment I started a podcast on Spotify which you can listen to by the link above. I am working on a couple personal projects, as well as producing for two artists and interning for another media channel that is currently being built from the ground up.

My end goal is to ultimately create my own production studio and produce original content as well as work on some motion pictures, but ultimately at the moment I am taking in all the opportunities I can as I just love everything about audio production and am eager to learn as much as I can.

Sincerely,
Juan DeJesus

Back